Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2015, 09:16   #8746
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by superboy44 View Post
I am noticing a slight variation in intensity of the beam while the car is on the move, is this normal?
I'm using 100/90W kits for more than a decade (right from M800 to Sunny) and faced similar issue twice
1) Alto - Loose connection at the relay end - Solved by checking and correcting all the connections
2) Wagon-R - Poor old battery - Solved after replacing the battery
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 16:38   #8747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I remember a note from someone who bought top end Hylutek/Hylux from China. They did ship to india. I do not remember the vendor, must have been here or the other forum.
Quoting Hylux sales guy:
2A50*USD16.5*2pcs = USD33, DHL freight USD45, totally USD78

@EcoSport: That is for you.
S_U_N is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2015, 17:37   #8748
BANNED

I checked on AliBaba and found shipping somewhat lower. Many chaps maintain stocks in HK or China. Also, be careful there are some which are spelt very similar to Hylux/Hilux or Hyalutek but may not be the same.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2015, 10:38   #8749
BHPian

I am considering upgrading the headlights and was inquiring about it in local shops.
Was told will cost around RS. 1,600 for fitting a wiring harness, relay and a pair of 90/100W bulbs.

I went little deeper in to the quality of the materials and was not satisfied with the package that was offered.
So made some independent study and came to know about the Bosch kit which includes all the components (wiring harness, relay and bulbs, all made by Bosch).
What is surprising this is the cost of these components which are:
Wiring harness Rs. 392
Relay Rs. 234
90/100 W bulb (each) Rs. 70
Total kit costs Rs. 766 + VAT
The above prices are about 10 to 15% less from the MRP printed and from the wholesale distributor listed in Bosch website.

My questions are:
1) How come these costs are so less
2) Will the labor cost be Rs. 750 for fixing this kit
3) There are 2 options for wiring harness and relay
a) Sold together as harness and relay
b) Sold separately
Which option is better?
In case of buying separately do we have to splice any of the OE wires?
Thanks in advance.
Old 21st January 2015, 16:18   #8750
BHPian

Hello bhpians.
Recently bought a maruti suzuki Ciaz and over the course of a week found the headlights inadequate. Was thinking about installing higher wattage bulbs with a relay but not sure if relay kits are available for h7 bulbs, atleast not in the 2 shops i visited. Both of them urged me to go in for HID in the existing low beam projectors as one option or better yet install projectors for the high beam as well.
Dad is not really keen to spend on HID setup but if relay kits for higher wattage h7 halogen bulbs aren't available then would convince dad about going for HIDs
Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 22nd January 2015, 09:25   #8751
Senior - BHPian

Need inputs from experts here.
I was checking the Ciaz headlights and I see that it's actually a 55W H7 bulb inside the projectors ! Is my understanding right ?

Same with the high beam which isn't a projector set up. Same bulbs ?

My questions :

1- Do I have to change both high beam / low beam bulbs , if I go for other 55W bulbs like the Xtreme Vision ? That's what the MASS told me
2- what do I need to keep in mind when upgrading my low beam headlights in the projector set up( I will stick to 55W bulbs )
Old 22nd January 2015, 09:34   #8752
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Need inputs from experts here.
I was checking the Ciaz headlights and I see that it's actually a 55W H7 bulb inside the projectors ! Is my understanding right ?

Same with the high beam which isn't a projector set up. Same bulbs ?

My questions :

1- Do I have to change both high beam / low beam bulbs , if I go for other 55W bulbs like the Xtreme Vision ? That's what the MASS told me
2- what do I need to keep in mind when upgrading my low beam headlights in the projector set up( I will stick to 55W bulbs )
If you change both bulbs you will see improvement in high and low beam. No rule that you have to change both. You can change the low beam and see if it makes a different first and then go for high beam.

For projector setup there's nothing different. If the bulb is H7, you just need to get H7.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 10:37   #8753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
So made some independent study and came to know about the Bosch kit which includes all the components (wiring harness, relay and bulbs, all made by Bosch).
What is surprising this is the cost of these components which are:
Wiring harness Rs. 392
Relay Rs. 234
90/100 W bulb (each) Rs. 70
Total kit costs Rs. 766 + VAT
The above prices are about 10 to 15% less from the MRP printed and from the wholesale distributor listed in Bosch website.
The cost for any wiring harness and bulb set is this much. 1600 is BS. Also for the bulb avoid the locally made ones for 70, and buy a phillips rally or Osram bulb both which are imported. They cost double but are the bulbs in which you will find a tremendous difference. I used the locally made Mico 100/90 and the difference compared to the stock bulbs are not very high.

The philips also comes with UV block glass which protects the lens and reflector from becoming yellow. Its been four years since I upgraded and the reflectors still looks like a brand new car.

Quote:
2) Will the labor cost be Rs. 750 for fixing this kit
It will not take more than 15 mins even if you do it yourself. 750 is more than a days labour for those guys and if you pay that, they will close their day, party somewhere and go home

Quote:
3) There are 2 options for wiring harness and relay
a) Sold together as harness and relay
b) Sold separately
Which option is better?
When you buy a harness, it will be 100% plug and play. That means it will have all the connectors and wiring required for the upgrade. This includes the connector for the relay too. Hence, you will have to plug the relay in.

The separate package will not have the relay in it. However, the connections are still the same in either case. The relay is sold separately only for people who are designing their own harness for any special need or some mechanics who skip the harness and try to make more money by making their own harness with sub standard work.

Quote:
In case of buying separately do we have to splice any of the OE wires?
As long as you are installing on a car with H4 bulbs, any upgrade kit, with or without relay will be 100% plug and play and totally reversible in a matter of 5mins if you are experienced and max 15 mins if you are new to the engine bay Amount of technical knowledge required is very less, so much that you cant go wrong anywhere. You just need a spanner or pliers to loosen the battery nut to plug in the power cable. No other tools are required.

In all, the wiring harness will come with:
1. All the required wiring, with thicker wires.
2. Ceramic holders
3. Connector to hook up with existing holder
4. Connector to hook up the relay
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 17:23   #8754
Senior - BHPian

For those in Bangalore looking for HID kit, this might be of interest.
http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...ght-Bulb.html/
Old 22nd January 2015, 18:11   #8755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If you change both bulbs you will see improvement in high and low beam. No rule that you have to change both. You can change the low beam and see if it makes a different first and then go for high beam.

For projector setup there's nothing different. If the bulb is H7, you just need to get H7.
Thanks !

My next set of questions :
1- Is it a straight plug n play affair to convert this H7 / projector setup into a HID / projector ?
2-All HID kits are 35W . Am I right in assuming this ?

http://www.lighting.philips.co.in/v2...p?id=1012984#0
I know of this . Any other brands to look at ?
Old 23rd January 2015, 03:27   #8756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
My next set of questions :
1- Is it a straight plug n play affair to convert this H7 / projector setup into a HID / projector ?
2-All HID kits are 35W . Am I right in assuming this ?
1. No.
2. No.

Halogen projectors are designed differently compared to HID projectors and putting HIDs into halogen projectors will not work well. There is no shield in halogen projectors so the person in front will be subjected to glare from your lights.

55W kits are also available, look around eBay and you can even find 75W or 100W HIDs.
SunnyBoi is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 01:21   #8757
BHPian

Guys I am facing a peculiar problem with my headlight upgrade on the Honda jazz.
I got a roots relay along with osram 90/100 bulbs fitted onto my car and the problem I am facing is that whenever my foot is on the accelerator the headlights dim by about 20-30% and as soon as I lift off the accelerator it goes back to full brightness.
The same problem cant be replicated when the car is at a standstill.
Earlier I thought it was my eyes playing tricks with me but got the variation confirmed by the electrician.
As suggested by Mr.Boss I got every connection checked by a two different mechanics but the problem still persists.
The alternator was checked and found to be working fine, battery is healthy, earthing has been checked and made sure all nuts were tight, still no respite.
The following combinations were tried to find out the problem-
* The roots relay was replaced with a brand new minda relay kit, still the problem was there.
* The fluctuation was confirmed with the cabin light, that too showed variation.
* Bulbs were replaced with normal wattage OE bulbs with the relay in place, still the fluctuation was there.
* 90/100 bulbs were tried without the relay in place and they worked fine with no fluctuation, but cant use them like that.

One of the mechanics who is pretty experienced says that this problem of slight variation is there in the honda civic and the ANHC as well though the OHC is fine. Says it has something to do with the way the alternator is configured.
Kindly help find a solution.
Old 28th January 2015, 06:38   #8758
BHPian

The best combination as far as bulb upgrade goes.i had used the following combination in my previous scorpios. Philips rallye 100/90 h4 tubes with lispart relay and wiring harness.the relay wiring is direct fit into the o.e bulb connectors.only thing I changed was the bulb shoe to ceramic ones so that those don't melt due to heat.
Another experiment I undertook was upgrading from 100/90 watts to 130/90 watts( Phillips rallye ).so as not to strain the wiring I used two separate relays for both the headlights.this setup I used for many years without ever facing a problem.the only downside was I had to replace the beams every 12 to 15 kilometres.

All those wishing to install Bosch bulbs ,please refrain as they are the most useless bulbs available in the market.this I am talking from personal experience.Used them in my Willys jeep.what a waste of money they turned out to be.
@ superboy the problem is not the bulbs but your relay,it is probably leaking current,so change it and u will see the difference.

Last edited by sammyaulakh : 28th January 2015 at 06:41.
sammyaulakh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2015, 12:38   #8759
BHPian

@sammy
I did get the relay replaced thrice just to rule out a faulty relay. Roots and Minda are pretty good companies i feel. The relay in itself is fine, will be going to honda service center today to get it checked thoroughly.
Old 28th January 2015, 20:44   #8760
BHPian

Got the entire setup checked at Honda service center, everything from the alternator to the relay to the fitting was checked thoroughly and found to be in perfect condition.
They too said that the main wiring is not designed to handle higher wattage bulbs, hence the variation. Though no harm in using it as the relay too was working and is fitted correctly, just that the variation will be there.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks