Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2015, 19:14   #8881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
I want to know the same thing. How is the 100/90 upgrade done to headlamps with H1 and H7 bulbs.
- Is it that only one (high or low) beam is upgraded
- OR are there special wiring harnesses that can handle both
- OR do we need to uses two sets of wiring harness

I had posted this query before but did not get any answers
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tml#post856666.

Here is a thread. Most installers will say not possible or will force you to change holders to h4. Mostly since h4 100/90 is stocked and 100 in h1 and h7 arnt popular as much. H4 is a earlier fitment type. You can upgrade both sets of high and low to 100. In h7 you have choice of philips and hella for h1 there is philips not sure if hella has h1 100. I would recommend using philips since I've found them to be quite reliable since my zen days. As for relays i would recommend using two sets of philips relays. Your entire setup would cost 4.5 to 5k approx. Sourcing h1 and h7 100s will take some initiative and your cost may vary coz of this. Also check your load on battery. Instead go for 55w xv or nb or nighthawk for lows and get 100 for high with relays. Which car are you planning this for.
Ushuaia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 11:11   #8882
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
I want to know the same thing. How is the 100/90 upgrade done to headlamps with H1 and H7 bulbs.

I had posted this query before but did not get any answers
1. It is your choice as to decide whether you want to upgrade both bulbs.

2. There are wiring harness meant for separate bulbs, but most shops dont stock it since they are not popular compared to H4 bulbs. These might be found online or in large spare part shops.

3. No need of two separate harness. Suppose you dont get a harness meant for H1 and H7, buy a single H4 harness and swap the H4 ceramic holders with holders meant for the required bulb. Since H4 has both high beam and low beam pins, split these wires into separate holders as per the need. Same applies to the input. The H4 harness will have an inbuilt male H4 pin which is used to connect to the existing holder. Break this connector to get the individual lugs and plug it into the two separate holders. Ground pin will be the same for either and connecting it to any one would suffice.

The only issue with this is you should know the wiring and pinouts before this upgrade is done. In case of a H4 bulb, even a noob can do it easily.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 11:45   #8883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
The H4 harness will have an inbuilt male H4 pin which is used to connect to the existing holder. Break this connector to get the individual lugs and plug it into the two separate holders. Ground pin will be the same for either and connecting it to any one would suffice.

The only issue with this is you should know the wiring and pinouts before this upgrade is done. In case of a H4 bulb, even a noob can do it easily.
Found one D.I.Y illustration of converting H4 to dual headlight holders.
http://www.passatworld.com/forums/an...n-adapter.html

We can draw some inspiration from this one.
Old 22nd March 2015, 12:04   #8884
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have a Fiat Palio with separate low and high beam bulbs (H7 and H1 respectively) on which I put in 100W wiring harness and 100W bulbs.

Quote:
I bought the wiring harness primarily to upgrade my low beams to 100W lights, in specific a Roots 100W H1 H7 wiring harness. You don't need to do any modifications, the wiring harness will have all the necessary ceramic connectors/couplers needed for an easy plug and play installation.

I have been a very considerate driver using only low beams all the time, even on highways and restrict high beams only for signalling. So for a long time I used the harness only with 100W bulbs on the low beam and the high beams were still on the 55W bulbs running on original harness. Lately I changed the high beams to Philips 80W (opposing highway drivers be damned) and in this case I started using the wires and connectors from the 100W wiring harness kit.

All said and done, I wouldn't recommend the roots wiring harness. The wires are of a lesser guage compared to Hella harness, the relay is rated only for 30A (12 * 30 = 360W, thats why I restricted my high beam to 80W. 100*2 + 80*2 = 360W).

One of the couplers for the low beam burnt off, despite the holders being ceramic. The holders were good but the metal pin inside the holders had burnt. I replaced it with another Roots Ceramic holder (got the spare from the shop where I bought the wiring harness, got charged 60rs for it) and all was well again. So in short - Buy any wiring harness except Roots.
SunnyBoi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2015, 12:22   #8885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
Which car are you planning this for.
Thanks for the info. I own a Renault Duster, which come with H7 and H1 bulbs in the headlights.
Its a good idea to just upgrade the High Beam because most of my traveling is on the highway. I can manage with the stock Low Beam bulbs for city driving.

When traveling in the night, good lights are essential for maintaining speeds of 70-100 KMPH. My night driving is limited to few hours before sunrise or after sunset.

Only thing holding me back is the warranty. I still have 2 years left. Yet I may take the plunge, that how essential I fell this is.
Old 23rd March 2015, 23:40   #8886
Senior - BHPian

I was looking at replacing the Ciaz 35W fog lamps with this

http://www.amazon.com/H11-Philips-X-...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt

Before that had a few questions :

1- Not sure if this is 35 W
2- I have never been a fan of 6000K bulbs. Will this be a problem with the cops ?
3- More than cops , I am worried about blinding oncoming traffic because of a LED bulb in clear lens reflectors. Will this be a problem oncoming traffic ?
4- anything else that I should keep in mind ?
Old 23rd March 2015, 23:46   #8887
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
I was looking at replacing the Ciaz 35W fog lamps with this

http://www.amazon.com/H11-Philips-X-...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt

Before that had a few questions :

1- Not sure if this is 35 W
2- I have never been a fan of 6000K bulbs. Will this be a problem with the cops ?
3- More than cops , I am worried about blinding oncoming traffic because of a LED bulb in clear lens reflectors. Will this be a problem oncoming traffic ?
4- anything else that I should keep in mind ?
They won't be 35. They'll be much lesser, and looking at the lumens quoted, should be round about 13-20 at the most. 6000k though, prone to washing out.
Rather than splurging such big ones, try out a better bulb, or hids in your fogs. I read about someone here on the thread who has hids in his civics fogs, and is very happy with the result.
Old 24th March 2015, 00:00   #8888
Senior - BHPian

Sure. I have already reached a conclusion here. Based on inputs from tsk1979 and Sankar , I have dropped this idea. LED in reflectors for halogen bulbs will never gimme the required illumination and also cause problems for other road users.

So this is a reject !

I will stick to the current layout for some time while I do some more research on HIDd
Old 24th March 2015, 07:48   #8889
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Rather than splurging such big ones, try out a better bulb, or hids in your fogs..
Quote:
some more research on HIDd
HIDs in the fogs is a hit or miss affair, unless you're replacing the entire fog assembly with projectors. Using HIDs in reflector lamps may not give you the desired result, and this is particularly the case with Suzuki fogs. I'm running HIDs in my Ritz fogs, they light up the foreground so well that the HL low beam gets washed out. Observed the same result with Celerio fogs too. And not to mention the glare caused to oncoming traffic. Unless I need only a foreground illumination, like while driving in foggy conditions (particularly on ghat sections), I don't turn on the fog lamps.

If you want better illumination, upgrade the HLs first, then the fogs - the latter is meant for more spread.
Old 24th March 2015, 10:29   #8890
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Sure. I have already reached a conclusion here. Based on inputs from tsk1979 and Sankar , I have dropped this idea. LED in reflectors for halogen bulbs will never gimme the required illumination and also cause problems for other road users.

So this is a reject !

I will stick to the current layout for some time while I do some more research on HIDd
If better lighting is what you want, either go for H11 bulbs giving out 55W else upgrade the H8 to a better quality bulb like Nightbreaker or the like. Check our some bulbs by Sylvania or Hella. LED or HID will be horrible in the fog lamp reflectors since they aren't meant to provide a sharp pattern like the headlights. It will cause most of the Light output to get scattered and cause unnecessary glare to opposite vehicles.
Old 24th March 2015, 10:34   #8891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post

If you want better illumination, upgrade the HLs first, then the fogs - the latter is meant for more spread.

The OE Osram headlights on the Ciaz are decent and I am happy with them. I had changed to useless Philips XV in between , but now it's back to OE bulbs

I have ordered LEDs for the tail lights and the front position lights. Same as this

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post3452508

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
If better lighting is what you want, either go for H11 bulbs giving out 55W else upgrade the H8 to a better quality bulb like Nightbreaker or the like. Check our some bulbs by Sylvania or Hella. LED or HID will be horrible in the fog lamp reflectors since they aren't meant to provide a sharp pattern like the headlights. It will cause most of the Light output to get scattered and cause unnecessary glare to opposite vehicles.

Agree. Will do that.
Old 24th March 2015, 12:00   #8892
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
HIDs in the fogs is a hit or miss affair, unless you're replacing the entire fog assembly with projectors. Using HIDs in reflector lamps may not give you the desired result, and this is particularly the case with Suzuki fogs.
I have replaced the 35W H11s in my Civic with 55W 3000K HIDs and am quite happy with them.
Old 27th March 2015, 09:17   #8893
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhav14 View Post
Thanks dude. But, is it a DIY thing? Replacing the lights in the dash, near the AC controls etc, do you think we can do it in a couple of hours?
This is the right link to post your query so quoted your post here. You will get better responses this way.

Replacing bulbs in the car are pretty easy. Just ensure that you don’t scratch the plastic trims or the clear lens when you pry open them using a screw driver or a sharp tool like that. Use a discarded ID card or something to pry them off. Take the bulb out of the socket and replace it with the LED. Observe polarity - if the light doesn’t turn on, reverse the terminals.

Cheap W5W bulbs do not emit a warm white light, more like 5000K/6000K bluei'ish.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2015, 09:27   #8894
BHPian

I was fed up with the stock headlight bulbs in my Rapid. So I replaced it with the Osram NB unlimited 55/60W by paying Rs. 1800.

The result isn't anything great. There is a mild improvement in terms of visibility that too only in the low beam!

Now what to do? Should I look into 100/90W with a wiring kit at the cost of voiding the electrical warranty on the car?

Pals please help!
Old 27th March 2015, 11:05   #8895
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I was fed up with the stock headlight bulbs in my Rapid. So I replaced it with the Osram NB unlimited 55/60W by paying Rs. 1800.

The result isn't anything great. There is a mild improvement in terms of visibility that too only in the low beam!

Now what to do? Should I look into 100/90W with a wiring kit at the cost of voiding the electrical warranty on the car?

Pals please help!
I would suggest you to look at the Philips Rally 100/90 with the Philis wiring kit that just plugs into the OEM wiring and doesn't need any splicing of OEM wirings for you to loose warranty.

I am getting the same done on my Swift shortly.

Most Viewed