Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2015, 05:20   #9091
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

No dude, I carried original stuff from Yellow Hat. In fact the international packaging is so great, didn't feel like opening it. Needless to say, I had high expectations, but the lights failed to dazzle. Try it out, but expect a very minimal performance boost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by divyankar View Post
Hi,
Are you talking about "Philips X-treme Vision +130%" because I have heard very good reviews from fellow BHPans. Did you buy online, its still not available in pune.
Old 5th July 2015, 23:35   #9092

Re: Another diesel joins the family - Fluidic Hyundai Verna

I realize this is perhaps an old post but I see most of this is conversation about the Hyundai Verna Fluidic. I'm helping a friend who owns a 2011 Hyundai Verna Fluidic change his stock headlight bulb to the OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited and I'm trying to find out what's the bulb holder/socket size. I've been searching on Google and other sites and even the Hyundai website but I can't seem to find it. I saw a few threads mentioning H11 but I'd rather confirm this with someone who owns it and hence this post. Can someone confirm the bulb socket size for the 2011 Hyundai Verna Fluidic please?

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th July 2015 at 13:36. Reason: Moved the post to a more relevant thread.
Old 6th July 2015, 13:31   #9093
BHPian

Re: Another diesel joins the family - Fluidic Hyundai Verna

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiecalvin View Post
I realize this is perhaps an old post but I see most of this is conversation about the Hyundai Verna Fluidic. I'm helping a friend who owns a 2011 Hyundai Verna Fluidic change his stock headlight bulb to the OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited and I'm trying to find out what's the bulb holder/socket size. I've been searching on Google and other sites and even the Hyundai website but I can't seem to find it. I saw a few threads mentioning H11 but I'd rather confirm this with someone who owns it and hence this post. Can someone confirm the bulb socket size for the 2011 Hyundai Verna Fluidic please?
Howiecalvin - I dont have this info handy, but sharing a couple of pointers:
- This info will be available in the owner's manual
- Any car accessories shop should be able to confirm this. So either call up your friendly accessories shop person to confirm or just take your car there, they will check, confirm and replace. Its just a 2 minute job anyways. If you want to research the prices beforehand - just research it on your phone when your car accessories guy confirms the bulb type. In all probability, the car accesosory guy will still try to reduce the price from his quote to match the online quote. If you need the phone no. of any such guy, pm me, will share the contact.

Hope this helps, cheers.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 6th July 2015 at 13:36. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Old 6th July 2015, 13:36   #9094
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdm View Post
I have just replaced the bulbs of my Fiesta Classic to H7 80w & H1 100w. But the focusing is very bad. Could anybody suggest a solution for it.
@vdm sir, which make were they? I always felt there is a difference between manufacturers and sometimes those bulbs better suit different type of reflector shape too.

To me it would be a test and find out the best.
SriramEfunds is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2015, 15:35   #9095
vdm
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SriramEfunds View Post
@vdm sir, which make were they? I always felt there is a difference between manufacturers and sometimes those bulbs better suit different type of reflector shape too.

To me it would be a test and find out the best.
Well I have put in the Philips bulb for both H7 & H1. Didn't try the osram since it was not in stock.
Old 7th July 2015, 11:40   #9096
BHPian

Looking to upgrade the headlights of my fluidic verna. Absolutely pathetic set of lights on such an expensive car. Many times while driving at night, I feel my headlamps aren't even switched on.

I was just browsing the other day and I came across this, but I'm not able to understand what it exactly means. Can the experts help me out please.

http://m.ebay.in/mobinweb/itm/111479059650?_mwBanner=1

Regards,
Aniketh

Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
Old 7th July 2015, 11:54   #9097
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Looking to upgrade the headlights of my fluidic verna. Absolutely pathetic set of lights on such an expensive car. Many times while driving at night, I feel my headlamps aren't even switched on.

I was just browsing the other day and I came across this, but I'm not able to understand what it exactly means. Can the experts help me out please.

Regards,
Aniketh

All i see is HIDs and some fog lamp.(LED trims in the fogs???)
If its just HIDs, dont go for it. I think they want you to plonk HIDs in your reflectors. Dont. Also, I think the verna is a single bulb unit(?). You lose flashing capability in the daylight when the lamps are off.
You'd be better off going for 100w bulbs and a relay for a fraction of the cost.
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2015, 16:20   #9098
BHPian

Quote:

DrHoney, I agree wtih Mayank - HIDs without Projector Lamps are a waste, they are a hazard for you as well as oncoming traffic.

You have other simpler options to change your bulbs to one of the following:
- Same wattage (55/60W) bulbs as you have now from Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited. This way, you just replace the bulbs and youre done
- Philips Xtremevision, same as above, different brand. Either works fine
- 100/90W bulbs, where you will need an additional relay since the wattage gets higher than your current stock lamps, and hence you need the relay for protection from overheating etc.

My personal preference is one of the first two, although its slight costlier. Reason is simple: 100/90 is actually illegal, can at times cause fogging in the glass covering because of additional heat, and also, you dont need to install any additional relays etc if you use the same wattage.

Hope this helps. Cheers.
anshuman_v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2015, 14:35   #9099
BHPian

Good day Team,
I am upgrading my Innova headlamps. Experts, kindly help/guide me to what should be done for brighter rays. Secondly I am planning to fit Fog lamps to my Innova. The cost at dealers store for a set goes to 23K which is too expensive. Aftermarket foglamps cost around 4-5K. Should I go for them or try for projectors. If I go for Projectors, it will be a customised option wherein the fitments will be an issue.
Kindly suggest.
Old 11th July 2015, 01:12   #9100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
DrHoney, I agree wtih Mayank - HIDs without Projector Lamps are a waste, they are a hazard for you as well as oncoming traffic.

You have other simpler options to change your bulbs to one of the following:
- Same wattage (55/60W) bulbs as you have now from Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited. This way, you just replace the bulbs and youre done
- Philips Xtremevision, same as above, different brand. Either works fine
- 100/90W bulbs, where you will need an additional relay since the wattage gets higher than your current stock lamps, and hence you need the relay for protection from overheating etc.

My personal preference is one of the first two, although its slight costlier. Reason is simple: 100/90 is actually illegal, can at times cause fogging in the glass covering because of additional heat, and also, you dont need to install any additional relays etc if you use the same wattage.

Hope this helps. Cheers.
Thanks mayankk and anshuman,

So let me get this....

1) HID's are not recommended. (I dont mind the 6000K White lights). Also I dont want to blind oncoming traffic.
2) Same wattage better bulbs are preferred.
3) 100/90 is illegal and requires a relay to be fitted.

Could you recommend a good of pair of bulbs for the headlights as well as the fogs - Phillips/Osram ?? Also a good reputed dealer in Bengaluru where I could get them changed. I stay in South Bengaluru.

Regards,
Dr.Aniketh Sharma
Old 11th July 2015, 08:45   #9101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Regards,
Aniketh

Dr., wholeheartedly agree with the others. Avoid HID and illegal 100/90 setups.

My experience with both Philips Extreme Vision and Osram NBU are mixed. While they are better than the stock ones, they aren't 80% better . They can be bought on deals for as low as 1.7k for a H4 set do look around online.

My advice is to buy aftermarket driving lights (Hella FF series, MicroDE etc) and get them expertly fitted into your Verna. You can also replace the included bulbs with a second pair of the Osram or Philips. Better to mount them set well back into your bumper using the foglight areas instead of sticking out.

Mind you, are you looking for city use, i.e. a low beam spread with a somewhat sideways diffused light to light up edges etc, or a pencil beam throw for highway drives? Aftermarket lights can be bought in either form so do your online research before buying. For example Amazon India: https://www.amazon.in/s/ref=sr_nr_n_...76079031&ajr=1

Let us know!

Last edited by itwasntme : 11th July 2015 at 08:58. Reason: Clarity
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2015, 10:02   #9102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Dr., wholeheartedly agree with the others. Avoid HID and illegal 100/90 setups.

My experience with both Philips Extreme Vision and Osram NBU are mixed. While they are better than the stock ones, they aren't 80% better . They can be bought on deals for as low as 1.7k for a H4 set do look around online.

My advice is to buy aftermarket driving lights (Hella FF series, MicroDE etc) and get them expertly fitted into your Verna. You can also replace the included bulbs with a second pair of the Osram or Philips. Better to mount them set well back into your bumper using the foglight areas instead of sticking out.

Mind you, are you looking for city use, i.e. a low beam spread with a somewhat sideways diffused light to light up edges etc, or a pencil beam throw for highway drives? Aftermarket lights can be bought in either form so do your online research before buying. For example Amazon India: https://www.amazon.in/s/ref=sr_nr_n_...76079031&ajr=1

Let us know!
Totally agree for city and moderate highway use. Also one thing often overlooked is levelling the beam or adjusting the pitch of the beam. Often manufacturers set it per standard but a screwdriver and some level open ground can help adjust the beam throw. Its only after this you should hunt for aftermarket lights. Also the new headlamps are plastic though there is ceramic coating between the reflective layer and outside abs coating. If 55w nb+ or xv dont work go for 80w ge or sylvania ones than 100/90. More than the housing the front plastic cover is impacted.
Old 13th July 2015, 09:24   #9103
BHPian

Quote:
Could you recommend a good of pair of bulbs for the headlights as well as the fogs - Phillips/Osram ?? Also a good reputed dealer in Bengaluru where I could get them changed. I stay in South Bengaluru.
Hi Aniketh,

You have got a few good suggestions from different people. Both Philips and Osram are good, the latest seems to be Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited - so maybe you want to go with that.

These bulbs are quite standard and easily available - any car accessories showroom will have them, just drive into one and ask. For pricing, you can bring down the price they quote by quoting the online price.

'itwasntme' has also made a good suggestion about the after market lights. Be warned though, they are additional fittings, so they are not as easy as just replacing the bulbs. You need a good installer who can do a good job, plus will be able to focus them correctly and so on.

Given all this, I would say just replace the bulbs to start with - that should address quite a few of your concerns. If you still are unhappy, look for additional lights or projector HID and so on.
Old 14th July 2015, 03:32   #9104
BHPian

I have been exploring options for augmenting my new Swift VXi's illumination capability and it seems there basically three options - HID, 100w bulbs and auxiliary lamps. I really don't want to mess with my car's warranty especially since I got it for 4 years but the headlights, though decent for the specs, could be a little better.

The 100w upgrade seems to be the cheapest and simplest mod since the uprated wiring kit is not too expensive. However, I am concerned about the headlights' aging getting accelerated since plastic can only withstand so much heat. Then there is the concern about the load those lights will put on the system. Sure the relay will bypass the main electrical system but the alternator would have to work a little bit harder to compensate for the extra 6 amps of current draw.

We used to have 100/90 watt bulbs in our old 1970 Ambassador Mark II with a huge 3" by 3" relay that weighed almost half a kilo. Current drain wasn't a problem since we had got an alternator installed in place of the old dynamo. Best part was the headlights which were made of glass and metal so worry about the glass losing transparency or the reflector blackening.

Then there is the ease with which the system can be returned to stock before taking the car to the service centre. I think the 100 watt wiring harness is plug and play so removing and reconnecting it should not be an issue.

Bottom line:

1. How soon can one perceive an impact of the 100w setup on a Swift's headlights?

2. What is its impact on the Swift's electrical system?

3. How easy difficult is it to revert to avoid warranty issues if necessary?

4. Is it advisable to do this on a brand new Swift?

I would appreciate it if someone could quantify the above issues. The basic idea has been discussed in the earlier pages but it is not completely clear as asked above. I think the folks who have had such a setup for an extended period can comment best on this. Thank you.
Old 14th July 2015, 06:43   #9105
BHPian

The 100/90 option is no impact on warranty. I have been using the 100/ 90 since quite sometime and no issues as such. Get a good relay installed alongwith good bulb brands like philips rally h4.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks