Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th August 2015, 21:06   #9181
BHPian

Anyone aware of philips ultinon led in h7. I see h8 h11 etc not h7. Any inputs?
Old 8th August 2015, 00:54   #9182
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I have bought 4 bulbs in total and all of them are not aligned straight as seen in the picture you posted. I stand correct!

Seeing this, looks like it is normal.
Wait, I guess that again isn't the original bulb. I shall share the pictures of my Rally and show you the difference.

The box is totally different, and the print on the bulbs is very crisp and clear unlike what both of you have posted. Also my bulbs come with a made in Germany mark too. Check the Philips website and you will find how the original product packing looks like.
Old 8th August 2015, 11:50   #9183
BHPian

After seeing a lot of feedback for Osram Rallye 65W, I finally decided to import a pair and I must say they work very well. The light output is a lot higher than all the other nightbreakers etc. that I have tried out so far.

My only concern is using 65W bulbs in the stock headlight with stock wiring, but from what I have calculated, the total power draw is only 1 amp more and therefore is within error margin. Great product for those who don't want to change out the wiring for warranty purposes. Gives out about 2100 Lumens as compared to 1400-1500 lumens for normal 55W bulbs.

http://store.candlepower.com/osraulhiouh7.html

Last edited by mav2000 : 8th August 2015 at 11:52.
Old 8th August 2015, 14:26   #9184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I have bought 4 bulbs in total and all of them are not aligned straight as seen in the picture you posted. I stand correct!

NOTE: I have Philips Xtreme Vision (60/55W) - 1 pair; Osram Bilux (60/55W) - 1 pair and Jagan (OEM Maruti make - 60/55W) - 1 pair --- All these three bulbs too aren't straight. I mean there is a difference in angle just like the Rally bulbs as seen above and posted by you.

Seeing this, looks like it is normal.
This means that these so called Philips Rally bulbs are most likely made in India. The Osram Bilux that comes fitted in the Duke is made in Germany and is just a little less bright compared to a Polish made Philips Xtreme Vision +100% which I installed in my Duke. So we could be victims of a large scale counterfeit scam or these bulbs are made in China, not up to the standards Philips would make their other bulbs to. I think Osram Bilux 100/90W may be the way to go. I think they come from Germany as well as India. The German made ones will be a little more expensive than the locally made ones obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Wait, I guess that again isn't the original bulb. I shall share the pictures of my Rally and show you the difference.

The box is totally different, and the print on the bulbs is very crisp and clear unlike what both of you have posted. Also my bulbs come with a made in Germany mark too. Check the Philips website and you will find how the original product packing looks like.
Yes, that packing is a little different. What is your view on the EssentialVision? See link below:

http://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B00V3QV...sbs_6?pi=SS115

How white would it be? If it is less than 4300K, I think this might be a better option and should be of better quality. Anurag, you may also check it out.

EDIT:
PS: To add to the confusion, allow me to share the two pictures attached herewith. I dug up my Duke's old stock Osram Bilux H4 60/55W bulb and noticed the same 'misalignment' in it. Does this mean that an H4 bulb is supposed to be like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20150808_143303_1439024947347.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20150808_143144_1439024909644.jpg  

Last edited by Darth Sid : 8th August 2015 at 14:44.
Old 8th August 2015, 14:42   #9185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
This means that these so called Philips Rally bulbs are most likely made in India.
How white would it be? If it is less than 4300K, I think this might be a better option and should be of better quality. Anurag, you may also check it out.
Finally got time to check out my bulbs in both cars(phillips). Here are some pictures:

The 100/90 Rally in my SX4. Notice the quality of the text that is printed. And the quality of the coating on the tip.
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20116616261_500.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-wp_20150808_14_14_49_pro.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-wp_20150808_14_15_28_pro.jpg

The 60/55 Phillips that came as OE in my WagonR. This bulb has the same type and pattern of printing. I guess MSIL cant give us fake bulbs so I used these as the benchmark. The only difference in the Rally bulbs is that there is an additional marking "Not for use in Europe" since they are not street legal.
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-wp_20150808_14_16_48_pro.jpg

The packaging of the Rallys I brought
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-wp_20150808_14_18_40_pro.jpg

The packaging as shown in their product catalog:
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-12569ra.jpg

I guess this is the one you should look out for. The bulbs give out yellowish white light and have been doing an excellent job from four years without damaging the reflector or the lens. Also, the orientation of the bulbs you have shown is not wrong. The bulbs are slightly tilted depending upon whether they are manufactured for the RHD or the LHD market. That isnt a defect actually.

Last edited by audioholic : 8th August 2015 at 14:44.
audioholic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2015, 14:58   #9186
BHPian

Quote:
The 100/90 Rally in my SX4. Notice the quality of the text that is printed. And the quality of the coating on the tip.

The 60/55 Phillips that came as OE in my WagonR. This bulb has the same type and pattern of printing. I guess MSIL cant give us fake bulbs so I used these as the benchmark. The only difference in the Rally bulbs is that there is an additional marking "Not for use in Europe" since they are not street legal.

The packaging of the Rallys I brought

The packaging as shown in their product catalog:

The bulbs are slightly tilted depending upon whether they are manufactured for the RHD or the LHD market. That isnt a defect actually.
My guess is you bought these bulbs quite a while back so it is conceivable that the packaging has changed. But if the screenshot you have shared is from a current page on the Philips India website, that means it might still be available.

It seems the rotation of the bulb in the headlight picture you shared is in the opposite direction to the bulb I bought which is rotated clockwise. The Osram Bilux from my Duke whose picture I have added to my previous post after you responded is also rotated clockwise.

I might have to look in some accessory shops and compare this bulb with what I have. If it really is the new Rally, I will keep the bulbs.

EDIT: OK, I checked again. Your bulbs are rotated clockwise, too.

Last edited by Darth Sid : 8th August 2015 at 15:00.
Old 8th August 2015, 22:58   #9187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by themonster View Post
On another note, I would like to ask some personal questions.
1. How much did you pay for the Philips Ultinon LED bulbs? (It's fine if you mention it in UAE Dirhams)
2. If I remember correctly, Fogs are pretty thick around December till February, would you be able to see anything in the thick fogs? (I was born and brought up in the UAE, during some drives with my dad; I remember seeing thick fogs though which you can only see the yellow line on the left of the overtaking lane and the visibility was so bad, you could only spot a vehicle within 50m distance)
Sorry if I seem very assertive.
The LED was 550 AED including shipping. You may get it for less than 10k with shipping to India. If you have someone in US, it will be even cheaper with free shipping. Amazon Link: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00. The price has increased from 134 USD to 148 USD now.

Driving in heavy fog is a pain. I usually dont venture out during night, that too when there is fog. As the highways are lit up with Sodium Vapor lamps, the yellow light makes it easy to drive in night even if there is fog. Once I ended up in a desert road and the fog was really bad. Normal halogens were also not useful in that fog. The picture below will give you an idea.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-fog.jpg

We just turned around and came back.
Old 8th August 2015, 23:15   #9188
BHPian

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hi guys , I am looking for headlamp upgrade for my vento tdi without affecting warranty. I make highway trips frequently and most happen to extend after dusk too. The stock headlamps though not worse are far from helping in being confident at maintaining 100 kmph at 4 lane roads even. What is the best possible upgrade without relay fittment as it would affect warranty. Money is not a constraint as I want to have safer travels. Where can I get the bulbs? Can I get it online? I have seen few BHPians sourcing products from eBay Germany. Suppose if I too want to do that, how can I? What will be the payment option as I see foreign eBay sites have the respective currency ?

Also what's with the temperature of the bulb? Does it alter visibility or range?if so, how to select the best for our highways?

Last edited by printh : 8th August 2015 at 23:18.
Old 8th August 2015, 23:25   #9189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
What is the best possible upgrade without relay fittment as it would affect warranty. Money is not a constraint as I want to have safer travels. Where can I get the bulbs? Can I get it online? I have seen few BHPians sourcing products from eBay Germany. Suppose if I too want to do that, how can I? What will be the payment option as I see foreign eBay sites have the respective currency ?
Your best bet will be Xtremevision +130 from powerbulbs.uk. Few members have posted on how to get (with a 20% discount) in previous posts, do check it out.
Old 9th August 2015, 12:06   #9190
BHPian

Thanks sunnyboi. Following your suggestion ,I tried purchasing h4 60/55w Philips extremevision. After discount ,the total amount was 2000 inr. But I was unable to complete transaction using my sbi global visa debit card. Does it require credit card to purchase?
Old 10th August 2015, 12:30   #9191
BHPian

Quote:
Finally got time to check out my bulbs in both cars(phillips). Here are some pictures:

The 60/55 Phillips that came as OE in my WagonR. This bulb has the same type and pattern of printing.
The bulbs give out yellowish white light and have been doing an excellent job from four years without damaging the reflector or the lens. Also, the orientation of the bulbs you have shown is not wrong. The bulbs are slightly tilted depending upon whether they are manufactured for the RHD or the LHD market. That isnt a defect actually.
@Audioholic : Thanks for the update in advance. I have been struggling with my stock 50/55 H4s on my Ecosport and was looking to upgrade mine as my experiment with XtremVision went futile. A fellow BHPIAN suggested upgrading mine to 110W with relay wire to answer my needs.

My brother who has a 3 year old Duster is also looking at upgrading his bulbs as both our travel includes a lot of night drives/High ranges and highways, and of course a lot of rain.

I assume, the Philips Rally you are talking about is the stuff I am looking for.

Could you please brief me on the do's and donts here. My questions include :
1. Finding the genuine bulb + associated wiring
2. Cost
3. Any effects on the reflectors

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
I might have to look in some accessory shops and compare this bulb with what I have. If it really is the new Rally, I will keep the bulbs.
@Sid : Please contribute to the above question if you could. Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 13:14   #9192
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
@
I assume, the Philips Rally you are talking about is the stuff I am looking for.

Could you please brief me on the do's and donts here. My questions include :
1. Finding the genuine bulb + associated wiring
2. Cost
3. Any effects on the reflectors
1. Finding wiring is easy in any auto spare parts shop. Decent kits cost around 400-500. They do come with a relay but you can buy a separate relay from Roots or PMP and then swap them with the ones that came with the kit in case you didn't get a branded kit. Bulbs as we have discussed need to be checked for genuinity. Else go for Hella or Osram but make sure they are genuine.

2. Costs around 400-600 for kit with relay, 250 for an extra relay, and max 200 per bulb.

3. Wouldn't actually recommend it for the Ecosport. Small sized headlights, and moreover to what extent I have seen the headlight doesn't come with a heat shield like how I have shown in one of the images above. Hence heart dissipation will be poor and there could be chances of reflector fading.

You can go ahead with the install but in due course of time if you find and signs of slight damage immediately revert back.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 13:30   #9193
BHPian

Quote:
3. Wouldn't actually recommend it for the Ecosport. Small sized headlights, and moreover to what extent I have seen the headlight doesn't come with a heat shield like how I have shown in one of the images above. Hence heart dissipation will be poor and there could be chances of reflector fading.
Thanks Audioholic

True that the ecosport headlamp does not come with the heat shield. (Can I get the shield fixed in the aftermarket)

Quote:
You can go ahead with the install but in due course of time if you find and signs of slight damage immediately revert back.
Tough call that would be.

Are there bulbs made for larger reflectors. Will I be able to get the same bulbs that produces less heat if I pay something more.

Thanks Again
Old 11th August 2015, 15:58   #9194
BHPian

Question : What do you expect from TASS engineers, when you ask them to please align the headlights which are slightly out of focus due to a recent bulb change:

Expected : Adjust the reflectos using proper tools to ensure adequate illumination.

Actual: They made a mess of my headlights.
This is how: Now when I turn on the headlights, all the time my one High beam & low beam is on. ie Right Headlight stays at High Beam & Left on Low beam, when I toggle it Right goes on Low beam & Left moves to high beam.
Though this seems stupid but illumination is better.
Anyone else tried this unique setup.

Should i Leave it this way .

Regards,
Saurabh
Old 12th August 2015, 07:25   #9195
BHPian

Philips Xtreme Vision Plus +130% H4 60/55W
Philips has come out with a successor to their Xtreme Vision +100% bulbs. These were good from my experience with H7 55W Hi beams on my i20. The beams would pierce the darkness like a sword into the distance. Got the new ones called Xtreme Vision Plus +130% 60/55W for my nano GenX. The new headlamps of nano GenX are basically good with excellent focus. That when coupled with these new Philips the result is nothing short of stunning.

Construction and Packing:
The bulbs have a smaller tube than the stock bulbs with a silver coated tip just like the earlier Xtreme Visions. The bottom of the silver coating has a dark blue layer. The Hi beam filament has a very light blue ring surrounding it. This is new. Coming to the filaments themselves, they are much smaller than the stock ones and look like they are made of some different material than the stock bulbs. It appears extremely shiny.

Packaging - Front (Please ignore the actual bulb inside!)
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20150812_062123.jpg

Packaging - Back
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20150812_062136.jpg

Silver Tip - Blue Ring around Hi beam is also visible along with dark blue coating below the silver tip
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20150812_070410.jpg

Wider View
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20150812_070452.jpg

Impressions:
1. The light color is whiter than stock. It is similar to a 100/130W bulb. It is immediately apparent.

2. The Hi beams illuminate into the distance with excellent focus. I could see bikers hurriedly make way for me as if it was a multi axle bus bearing down upon them!

3. Light output could have been even better without the blue ring around the Hi beam filament but do not know if the ring is placed so that it does not take away much light.

4. This cannot be compared to a higher wattage bulb in terms of sheer light output but it does come close to a 80w bulb. The usability of the light is key here as it does not scatter and become useless.

5. Anything more than these bulbs is actually not required (read higher wattage) as these do give a stress free driving experience for all practical purposes and does not void the warranty of the vehicle.

6. In the daytime with the bulbs switched off, the headlamp reflector gives a light blue effect when viewed head on.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20150812_070359.jpg

Conclusion:
Philips Xtreme Vision Plus is highly recommended because they come at the same price as the earlier Xtreme Visions. Also the literature states that lifetime has improved with improved performance to boot. So it would be a better deal than the Xtreme Visions. The only downside is that in absolute money terms it costs 3 times as much as a 100/90W normal bulb!
alphahere is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks