Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2015, 00:20   #9391
BHPian

Hi experts. Want your advice. I have igen i20 with low beam projectors. A close friend of mine installed those. They have a nice cutoff and the spread is good. I was thinking of changing the bulbs and hid. Hid kit is some Chinese one. Should I change both bulbs and ballast? Or only bulbs? Thinking of osram CBI bulbs. The quote I have is 14000 just for bulbs? Or should I consider Philips 85122+ fir around 6500?
Old 8th November 2015, 07:29   #9392
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

HID will not work without the ballast. hence you will need to change both. If you have got a kit, then the kit would include bulb & ballast.
Old 8th November 2015, 07:38   #9393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan2k2 View Post
Hi experts. Want your advice. I have igen i20 with low beam projectors. A close friend of mine installed those. They have a nice cutoff and the spread is good. I was thinking of changing the bulbs and hid. Hid kit is some Chinese one. Should I change both bulbs and ballast? Or only bulbs? Thinking of osram CBI bulbs. The quote I have is 14000 just for bulbs? Or should I consider Philips 85122+ fir around 6500?
Changing the bulbs and retaining the ballast might not do the trick. A good ballast is also required (ie, if the chinese ballast isnt good). Also, the kit comes with HID bulbs, ballast and wiring else you may opt for replacement hid bulbs that you can use with the existing ballast. I would recommend you to change the entire kit. Either to Osram Xenarc or P8.
Old 8th November 2015, 09:14   #9394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shravan2k2 View Post
Or should I consider Philips 85122+ fir around 6500?
If you do consider Philips 85122, you can check out Amazon. Some bulbs are available for approximately 4500 a pair. Much better deal, I think. And yes, ballasts should also be changed to better quality ones as cheap Chinese ones do not have proper output. Philips ballasts were available for 4570 some time ago on Amazon but not sure now. Of course, Osram also makes good quality stuff so you can look for their kits. I remember seeing their complete kits on either Snapdeal or eBay or both for around 10.5k to 11.5k. Make sure you get the correct bulbs and proper ballasts.

I am using a Morimoto Matchbox projector in my Duke with a Morimoto H1 3Five bulb and a ballast made by Hylux. Good output but the projector is too small so might consider other options. This was a DIY retrofit.
Old 8th November 2015, 14:10   #9395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Sid View Post
If you do consider Philips 85122, you can check out Amazon. Some bulbs are available for approximately 4500 a pair. Much better deal, I think. And yes, ballasts should also be changed to better quality ones as cheap Chinese ones do not have proper output. Philips ballasts were available for 4570 some time ago on Amazon but not sure now. Of course, Osram also makes good quality stuff so you can look for their kits. I remember seeing their complete kits on either Snapdeal or eBay or both for around 10.5k to 11.5k. Make sure you get the correct bulbs and proper ballasts.

I am using a Morimoto Matchbox projector in my Duke with a Morimoto H1 3Five bulb and a ballast made by Hylux. Good output but the projector is too small so might consider other options. This was a DIY retrofit.
Hey thanks for the reply. Will actually look at amazon for the kit. But not eBay. A lot of fake kits are up for sale on eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Changing the bulbs and retaining the ballast might not do the trick. A good ballast is also required (ie, if the chinese ballast isnt good). Also, the kit comes with HID bulbs, ballast and wiring else you may opt for replacement hid bulbs that you can use with the existing ballast. I would recommend you to change the entire kit. Either to Osram Xenarc or P8.
The ballasts are good full brightness within 8-10 secs. How much does the osram xenarc kit cost? Anywhere in delhi that I can procure from? Osram CBI bulbs are available with Retro Rides in delhi. And morimoto 55 full kit around 12k. I am not gonna change the projector for now. They have nice cutoffs and spread. will try and post pics today.

Last edited by GTO : 16th November 2015 at 10:55. Reason: Unmasking name of dealer
Old 8th November 2015, 14:45   #9396
BHPian

Hey guys. Another issue. My high beam headlights have recently gone somewhat disoriented. The right lamp is very close to the car and the left one points at the sky. I even tried to adjust the hex nuts but doesn't make the difference. Any suggestion.
Old 12th November 2015, 21:30   #9397
BHPian

This is the output of my projectors in low beam. Couldn't take a high beam PIC. I always drive on low beam. These are with Chinese HID.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-1447343922102.jpg  

Old 14th November 2015, 11:49   #9398
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
HID will not work without the ballast. hence you will need to change both. If you have got a kit, then the kit would include bulb & ballast.
Yes, HID must have a ballast, but if you have a good one of sufficient wattage then it will not need to be replaced. Remember Hyalutek is as good as any, so it may be Chinese, so what.
Old 14th November 2015, 12:28   #9399
BHPian

Hi, I am planning to change the stock 25W projector bulbs to 37.5W bulbs. Will this damage anything? Please help
Old 14th November 2015, 12:50   #9400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Yes, HID must have a ballast, but if you have a good one of sufficient wattage then it will not need to be replaced. Remember Hyalutek is as good as any, so it may be Chinese, so what.
Ya I get you. I already have a HID kit. I am not aware what brand it is. As you can see the output. And it also achieves full brightness in less than 10 secs. That's d reason I wanted this advice as to changing the bulbs either to morimoto or osram CBI.
Old 14th November 2015, 13:30   #9401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Yes, HID must have a ballast, but if you have a good one of sufficient wattage then it will not need to be replaced..
Btw, what happens if I use a 35w bulb with a 55w ballast ?
Old 14th November 2015, 20:17   #9402
BHPian

Hi ,
Is it a good idea to replace the Halogen head lamp of my Honda City 2010 with LED Head Lamp ?
Old 15th November 2015, 10:25   #9403
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Btw, what happens if I use a 35w bulb with a 55w ballast ?
The bulbs will emit a brighter light, will run hotter, the bulbs' life goes down and the chrome inside the reflectors may peel off in the long run.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 11:28   #9404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
Hi, I am planning to change the stock 25W projector bulbs to 37.5W bulbs. Will this damage anything? Please help
I have already bought philips crystal vision 37.5W bulbs. Will it run smooth on the stock wiring? My car is an elite i20
Old 16th November 2015, 10:17   #9405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
That's a double barrel setup, meaning you will need two pairs. Just check with the local accessories shop and they will help you out.

Anytime mate.
Hey Naveen,

Just thought ill update you. So after a lot of thought and deliberation, i ended up at a recommended accessory showroom in Gurgaon. Told The owner what i need the upgrade for and from the start he recommended HID's. Also told me he will fit it for me, i can check the performance and if it isn't upto my expectations, he can bring it back to stock or choose another alternative. Saw a scorpio being tested post HID fitment and it looked pretty neat. Also since mine is a double barrel set up, that means 2 pairs of HID's. So we got it fitted, 4 H7 bulbs - 35W, 6000k- Pure white light. Made in Taiwan and comes with a 1 year replacement warranty.

Review : Yellow light obviously is more 'visible' than white light. However these babies are pretty bright. The beam is strong and quite wide as well. Takes a few seconds to brighten up fully since the bulbs need to heat up . Still in the testing phase, i suppose ill update with a more detailed pictorial review once i've used it a fair bit. Some pics of the Bulbs and the packaging attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_9685.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_9686.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_9684.jpg  

Last edited by pavan_jacob : 16th November 2015 at 10:23.

Most Viewed