Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2015, 16:29   #9436
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Planning to upgrade the bulbs in my Vento( single barrel lamps). Yellow light is enough as it is more of a need than a want.
Went through this thread and here is the list
Phillips Rally H4 90/100W.
Phillips relay kit.
Is this correct? Have I missed out on anything? I'm planning to do a DIY so any useful sites with pictures and simple instructions would be nice.
Turbohead
There are two options:
1) Stock wattage but a better brand (philips/osram). This is a straight forward fix but the improvement is only 20-30%.
2) As you had mentioned (90/100w) - The visibility improves in this case but on the other hand a lot of heat will be produced (if you use it a lot at a stretch. Else it's absolutely fine). I think it's better you get this installed from an experienced mechanic. If you think you can DIY, then no issues. Just mentioned so that you can be on the safe side

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagen_rao View Post
Hello ,

Can someone tell me what bulbs to use to increase the brightness brightness n distance in the the 3rd generation scorpio (2015) as the stock bulbs are very poor the highways.

If you have projectors, go for HID's (Philips/Osram/P8). Make sure you stick to 4300k bulbs. That provides the best visibility. If you dont have projectors, go for the options that I mentioned above.
Old 28th November 2015, 16:52   #9437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
The visibility improves in this case but on the other hand a lot of heat will be produced (if you use it a lot at a stretch. Else it's absolutely fine).
Can you elaborate on how many hours? If at all we use it for long stretch, it will be for 6 hours or so( only on long drives which maybe max 3 or 4 times in a year as far a night driving is concerned)
I want the upgrades done as I find the stock bulbs useless on a rainy night.

Last edited by Turbohead : 28th November 2015 at 16:53.
Old 28th November 2015, 19:15   #9438
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Can you elaborate on how many hours? If at all we use it for long stretch, it will be for 6 hours or so( only on long drives which maybe max 3 or 4 times in a year as far a night driving is concerned)
I want the upgrades done as I find the stock bulbs useless on a rainy night.
That should be fine. I had used 90/100w in my swift with couple of long night runs (5-6 hours) atleast 3-4 times a year and didnt find any issue. Go ahead with this but just make sure that the installation is perfect.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2015, 20:22   #9439
BHPian

What are the stock bulbs that are used in Elite i20 sportz? I am asking it because I feel that the light throw is not sufficient while driving on the highway. So can anyone help me with what is the stock type and what I can do to improve the same. Thanks
Old 28th November 2015, 21:44   #9440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh09 View Post
What are the stock bulbs that are used in Elite i20 sportz? I am asking it because I feel that the light throw is not sufficient while driving on the highway. So can anyone help me with what is the stock type and what I can do to improve the same. Thanks
Stock bulbs are H4 55/60. Local make. I forgot the name of that company. Haven't heard the name anywhere. I am personally using Osram Coolblue Plus 55/60 bulbs in my elite complimented by Philips crystal vision ultra 37.5W foglamp bulbs and osram cool white T10 leds as pilot lamps. The combo is well and good for night drives except for times when there is rain. During rains, this setup and the factory setup don't have much difference.

You may also upgrade the headlamps to 90/100W bulbs using a relay kit from any reputed brand. Factory wiring cant handle that much wattage requirement.
vishnurajanme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 03:41   #9441
BHPian

Changed the green dashboard illumination of my zen to "reddish"
Old 29th November 2015, 14:39   #9442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
Stock bulbs are H4 55/60. Local make. I forgot the name of that company. Haven't heard the name anywhere. I am personally using Osram Coolblue Plus 55/60 bulbs in my elite complimented by Philips crystal vision ultra 37.5W foglamp bulbs and osram cool white T10 leds as pilot lamps. The combo is well and good for night drives except for times when there is rain. During rains, this setup and the factory setup don't have much difference.

You may also upgrade the headlamps to 90/100W bulbs using a relay kit from any reputed brand. Factory wiring cant handle that much wattage requirement.
So do you recommend upgrading to 90/100W bublbs with relay or upgrading to a HID setup for headlamps and fog lamps or HID with Osram/Philips bulbs in the fog lamps? Which one would be a better combination out of three?
Old 29th November 2015, 20:58   #9443
BHPian

Quote:
So do you recommend upgrading to 90/100W bublbs with relay or upgrading to a HID setup for headlamps and fog lamps or HID with Osram/Philips bulbs in the fog lamps? Which one would be a better combination out of three?
90/100 will last longer & are easy on your reflectors. HIDs will be extremely good initially, they'll burn your reflectors & your lens will fade over time. My friend faced such issues in his cars and reverted back to 90/100. Also, 90/100 Halogen has better penetration in fog!
saadat1992 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 21:14   #9444
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurajanme View Post
Stock bulbs are H4 55/60.
Quote:
So do you recommend upgrading to 90/100W bublbs with relay or upgrading
Best suggestion is to upgrade from 60/55W headlamps to 100/90W setup with wiring harness. The harness will contain ceramic harness, 30A fuses, thicker wiring to compensate the load.

OEM bulbs in my Swift were: Jagan H4 60/55W where I insisted for Osram Bilux. Both these were useless.

Upgrade 1: Philips Xtreme Vision (60/55W). It is was a good upgrade but the availability is low for this bulbs so had to go for upgrade 2.

Upgrade 2: Philips Rally 100/90W with a wiring harness by Hella. Love this setup and is completely reversible and safe with no touching the OEM wiring harness. It is a plug and play unit that takes 15 minutes to install.

I'll suggest you to look at 100/90W setup. If you aren't happy, get fog lights upgraded. OEM ones should be 35W where you can change to 55W. I was thinking of getting the fog lights upgraded from H8 (35W) to upgrade to H11 (55W). But have refrained as I hardly use the fog lights.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 21:45   #9445
BHPian

I have an Alto lxi 2008 at home. It isn't equipped with fog lamps. Some upgrades to the headlight assembly such as high power bulbs and relay has been made and results are better but sometimes I feel there is a need of fog lights too. Is there any solution? Is it possible to get it done in a fuss free manner?
Old 29th November 2015, 23:40   #9446
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakarsh View Post
Is there any solution? Is it possible to get it done in a fuss free manner?
Option 1 (Costlier one): Get a new bumper of the VXi variant and get the Fog lamp kit installed (MGP).

Option 2: Install auxiliary lamps. Look at the link: Hella 700FF

IMO, Option 2 is the best and easiest to get satisfactory results.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2015, 23:49   #9447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
I use an Xtreme Vision on my motorcycle. Have been using it for well over three years now.

Just one real suggestion, in crawling traffic, I find it best to turn off the headlamps and use just the pilot lamps to ensure visibility. When everyone is bunched up in traffic, the lights from the vehicles nearby is good enough and it also lets the bulb cool down for a bit.

I have a query of my own. I saw the thread about the Morimoto D2S being installed on a Polo GT.

Wondered if there was a similar kit for my bike and voila, I found it!

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...l#.Vlizj-LLdyU

I am looking to get the 50W version since the bike was already re-coiled to accommodate a 55W halogen. Will the electricals be able to take a 50W HID though?

My question is, is the upgrade really worth the 10k odd it will cost? I am looking for effective lighting solutions that will also be effective during the rain.
Bumping my own post.

Any ideas, guys?
Old 30th November 2015, 01:18   #9448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Option 1 (Costlier one): Get a new bumper of the VXi variant and get the Fog lamp kit installed (MGP).

Option 2: Install auxiliary lamps. Look at the link: Hella 700FF

IMO, Option 2 is the best and easiest to get satisfactory results.
Thanks for the input sir.
Actually at the time when we acquired this car, I clearly remember lxi was available as the the top variant. Vxi came into the picture after the launch of facelift. AFAIK Vx and Vxi(not sure) were available in 1.1 L models.

Sir, there is provision for installation of fog lamp kit in the existing bumper also but the problem is that the space provided is sqaure in shape whereas the MGP fog lamp kit for Alto is round. Fog lamps won't be an exact fit. Would it be possible to cut the bumper appropriately in shape? Attaching a picture for reference.

Regards
Aakarsh
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20151130_010948_756.jpg  

Old 30th November 2015, 06:40   #9449
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bumping my own post.

Any ideas, guys?
35w is mostly found and used here and I would suggest you to go for it. 35w is more than enough and provides ample lighting.
Old 30th November 2015, 09:20   #9450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I am looking to get the 50W version since the bike was already re-coiled to accommodate a 55W halogen. Will the electricals be able to take a 50W HID though?

My question is, is the upgrade really worth the 10k odd it will cost? I am looking for effective lighting solutions that will also be effective during the rain.
Any ideas, guys?
HID ballasts come in 55W, not 50W. However, a 35W HID burner+ballast combination is the most logical upgrade over halogens.

For your question regarding the VFM proposition, I feel it is, if you are not experimenting. Else it's a costly experiment.

The set up will be effective even during rains, provided you do not use burners with anything over 4300K colour temperature. Most of the LEDs sold as pilot lamps are 5000K or above and do little to improve illumination during fog and rain.

Most Viewed