Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2015, 19:25   #9526
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Thanks for the info. While I dont need it now, I have stored this knowledge away for future use.
Old 15th December 2015, 21:01   #9527
Distinguished - BHPian

I upgraded my WagonRs bulbs to 100/90 from Osram - Since they were from germany and all the other bulbs were India or China made. But still, I was disappointed with the light quality. The Osrams are nowhere close to the Rallys(german made) on my SX4.

The WagonR earlier had Philips 60/55(german) made and this 100/90 from Osram gave very minimal improvement.

This saturday I will search every single shop on JC Road to find some german made Phillips rallys and will buy his entire stock to use it for lifetime. The kind of light intensity and output they give is just unbeatable.
Old 16th December 2015, 12:13   #9528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I upgraded my WagonRs bulbs to 100/90 from Osram - Since they were from germany and all the other bulbs were India or China made. But still, I was disappointed with the light quality. The Osrams are nowhere close to the Rallys(german made) on my SX4.

The WagonR earlier had Philips 60/55(german) made and this 100/90 from Osram gave very minimal improvement.

This saturday I will search every single shop on JC Road to find some german made Phillips rallys and will buy his entire stock to use it for lifetime. The kind of light intensity and output they give is just unbeatable.
In case, by any chance, you cant get hold of the Philips Rallye, you could also try the 100/90 W Philips Premium Vision. They are awesome, and I am having a great performance from those bulbs.
Warm regards
Unavowed_X9
Old 16th December 2015, 17:55   #9529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I had a roots H1 H7 wiring kit in my old car which kept on giving me problems including finnicky wires, melted fuses and burnt ceramic holders.
Hi SunnyBoi,

I am looking for roots ceramic H7 holders, would you be able to share a shop/dealer who stocks roots wiring kit/holder in Bangalore

http://rootsindustries.com/auto/wp-c...04/Holders.pdf

I am planing to use these holders and H4 wiring kit (Hella) to create wiring harness for low beam.

Could you also share your feedback about Hella H7 100w bulbs. How long did these last and were you able to compare this with Philips H7 80w.

Regards.
Old 17th December 2015, 11:38   #9530
Distinguished - BHPian

FOr people who have plopped in HIDs or higher than 35w bulbs in their ford foglamps(Fiesta old, or figo, old), can you tell me if it has in any way affected the reflectors? Chipping or melting?
Old 17th December 2015, 19:24   #9531
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antardaksh View Post
I am looking for roots ceramic H7 holders, would you be able to share a shop/dealer who stocks roots wiring kit/holder in Bangalore.
I don't remember the shop name but it is approximately in the location posted below. Its a shop pained with blue around it. If not, there is a shop called Avinash (something something) who also has it. Avinash fellow gets least priority because he's a big snob.

There is also a big shop selling all roots stuff ( easily noticeable on the 1st cross) you can try there for the kit. As for the holders, try the shops I mentioned above.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/...!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

Quote:
I am planing to use these holders and H4 wiring kit (Hella) to create wiring harness for low beam.
Do remember the H4 kit comes with only one wire for ground since only one filament is on at any given time. Same is not applicable with H1/H7 kits as usually both filaments/bulbs are on at high beam. Hence add separate ground wires so that both filaments each side have their own grounding.

Quote:
Could you also share your feedback about Hella H7 100w bulbs. How long did these last and were you able to compare this with Philips H7 80w.
Hella H7 100W are the best bulbs I've used so far. They're much brighter than Philips 80W ( my car came with those, I replaced them with Hella 100W bulbs).

My previous hella bulbs wouldn't last because the Roots H7 ceramic bulb holders were crap and always used to short out. That's why I am against anything Roots.I'm currently using ceramic holders from a company called Super.

Last edited by SunnyBoi : 17th December 2015 at 19:25.
SunnyBoi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 17:19   #9532
BHPian

VW Double Barrel headlight

Hi,

I am planing to replace 55w H7 bulbs with 100/80w H7 bulb and use higher wattage headlight wiring kit. This is tricky because wiring for headlight in VW double barrel setup is internal. Single socket connects to the headlight unit and multiple wires from the socket are routed to high/low/park/signal bulb sockets.

I removed headlight to check quality of wires used for internal wiring and see if there is possibility of changing internal wires and H7 bulb holder.

Headlight Unit rear

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-headlightrear.jpg

Headlight main socket (8 pins)

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-headlightsocket.jpg

Internal H7 Socket : You will notice two parallel wires to single terminal. This is same for low and high beam

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-socketh7.jpg

Internal H7 socket

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-h7socket.jpg

Internal wiring

All wires used within headlight unit are black, hence we need multimeter to identify which pin leads to which bulb. I was not able to find wiring schematic for headlight internal wiring. These wires look too thin to support 80/100w bulbs.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-internal-wiring.jpg

I am not sure how to replace existing wires thru the existing socket. Easier and crude way would be to cut/splice existing wires and route higher gauge wire through the rubber cup but I do not want to choose this option.

Regards.

Last edited by antardaksh : 18th December 2015 at 17:22.
Old 24th December 2015, 17:49   #9533
BHPian

Hello guys.
I have a Maruti S cross, and very unhappy with the throw of light. On highway in night time, the visibility is very short and not suitable.
I am a novice with most technical terms, but can anyone guide as to what should be the upgrade and how it can be done ?
Old 24th December 2015, 19:43   #9534
BHPian

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshatmangal View Post
Hello guys.

I have a Maruti S cross, and very unhappy with the throw of light. On highway in night time, the visibility is very short and not suitable.

I am a novice with most technical terms, but can anyone guide as to what should be the upgrade and how it can be done ?

Advice from another novice in that area:
1. Get a plug and play relay and holder kit that supports up to 130/100W.
2. Get a high performance bulb of higher wattage (100/90W) - Philips extreme vision +130 or osram night breaker unlimited.

Get them fitted at a trusted shop. Since,no cutting of wires involved,warranty won't be jeopardised.

Done !!

Or else,
1. Do step 2 alone and get a performance s bulb but in the stock 60/55 W rating and swap the existing ones with them.
But ,there's no replacement for displacement er....for wattage. The 100/90W will be absolute boon for highway drives.

Last edited by printh : 24th December 2015 at 19:44.
Old 25th December 2015, 11:44   #9535
BANNED

Re: VW Double Barrel headlight

Quote:

All wires used within headlight unit are black, hence we need multimeter to identify which pin leads to which bulb. I was not able to find wiring schematic for headlight internal wiring. These wires look too thin to support 80/100w bulbs.
Look carefully, you will a fully black and a black with a grey streak. For 80/100 you have to add an external relay and wiring.
Old 25th December 2015, 20:10   #9536

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshatmangal View Post
Hello guys.
I believe s-cross stock are 60/55w?

You got 2 options -
1. Replace stock with Phlips X-treme Vision Plus, as per reviews these seem to improve the visibility significantly. No need for extra wiring, just plug the new ones.
http://www.amazon.in/Philips-12342XV.../dp/B010VNEH86
2. Get a relay and use 100/90w Philips Rally or Osram, which I'm using and I tell you the visibility on highway is improved drastically.

If your usage is mostly in city then option 1 is better, else go for 2.
Old 27th December 2015, 22:43   #9537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyliner34 View Post
I believe s-cross stock are 60/55w?

You got 2 options -
1. Replace stock with Phlips X-treme Vision Plus, as per reviews these seem to improve the visibility significantly. No need for extra wiring, just plug the new ones.
http://www.amazon.in/Philips-12342XV.../dp/B010VNEH86
2. Get a relay and use 100/90w Philips Rally or Osram, which I'm using and I tell you the visibility on highway is improved drastically.

If your usage is mostly in city then option 1 is better, else go for 2.
Get a Philips Dual Headlamp Relay. Buy a pair of 100/90W Hella or Philips Rallye halogen bulbs, and get it installed.
Total Cost would be less than Rs.1,500/-
Bliss on highway. No problems in case of inclement weather as in case of HID /white light.
Warm Regards,
Unavowed_X9
Old 28th December 2015, 09:10   #9538
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
Bliss on highway. No problems in case of inclement weather as in case of HID /white light.
Many people (as a show off) go for 6000K or even 8000 / 10,000K bulbs. It is these which cause problems. I have 3000K 55W HID in my fogs, and my son has a 4300K HID system in his City. Neither of us have faced any colour / haze issues.

Let me add that being in Kanpur and Gurgaon fog is a constant companion in winters.

Last edited by sgiitk : 28th December 2015 at 09:12.
Old 28th December 2015, 09:18   #9539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Many people (as a show off) go for 6000K or even 8000 / 10,000K bulbs. It is these which cause problems. I have 3000K 55W HID in my fogs, and my son has a 4300K HID system in his City. Neither of us have faced any colour / haze issues.
Simple case of Physics / Optics / Spectrum. White light vs Perspective Yellow / Yellowish light frequency.

After 4300K, the 6000K HID light is a pain to use on highways and in inclement weather. Self had one, and had to replace with regular halogen system to suit my long distance travel, prolonged night driving requirement, harsh terrain and inclement weather conditions that I travel in. With personal experience, I can vouch for it.

Pic to prove the point

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img20151203wa0014.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img20151203wa0015.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img20151203wa0016.jpg
Warm regards,
Unavowed_X9
Old 28th December 2015, 11:45   #9540
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

I am driving palio stile 1.6 as my daily ride. The OEM light is enough in the city but when I take it out on the highway I feel that the throw is not enough and will be trying to use high beams when there is no oncoming vehicles nor anybody in front of me. I am thinking of replacing it and have few questions.

1. Would it be possible to replace OEM light of my car to HID's? I am asking this because I checked at couple of places and they were reluctant to do it saying its difficult to do on a palio.

2. Any suggestions for a good place to get this changed in Bangalore and what would be the approximate cost of the same?

3. Would going for HID's is right or should I go with LED's?

Would be helpful if I get any suggestions from you all regarding this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks