Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2016, 07:47   #9631
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Sorry but I guess you haven't read the post fully. He has given the links of what he had bought for the upgrade.

For the wiring harness he is currently using Philips that supports 100/90W or 130/100W. See link number 1 in his post.
Stand corrected. Do check fuse ratings then. I had a similar issue. Blacked out the fuse holder too.
Unavowed_X9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 09:09   #9632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
scuderiamania
A relay and fuse issue. Its the fuse rating that might have been the culprit. Check the relay you have installed. The fuse rating should ordinarily be 20A. Some install higher fuses and that causes the bulb to fuse at times when on longer drives.
I guess you have a dual headlamp relay, which has 02 fuses.
If possible, replace the relay wiring kit with one such as Philips / Hella that supports upto 130W instead of the local some-weird-named ones!
Warm Regards
UnavowedX_9
As a4anurag pointed out, I did purchase a original philips relay kit which supports 130/100w bulbs. Atleast thats what it says on the box.

Secondly, the swift has single bulb (H4) set up. I dont quite understand what dual headlamp relay means. . Is it the same as a double barrel headlamp?

Btw, with regard to the fuse, the mechanics did check it before installing the relay kit and new bulbs. All the fuses were okay.

Please help.
Old 23rd February 2016, 09:10   #9633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
Need your help guys!

Now, on both occasions the car was running at high average speeds. Is this a problem related to the battery/alternator or is there some other problem with the car?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unavowed_X9 View Post
scuderiamania
A relay and fuse issue. Its the fuse rating that might have been the culprit. Check the relay you have installed. The fuse rating should ordinarily be 20A. Some install higher fuses and that causes the bulb to fuse at times when on longer drives.
What Unavowed_X9 has mentioned above is quite possible. Please get the relay and the related fuse checked. In my Innova once the high beams conked off. The reason was a failed relay.

Prior to that in my Indica, I had the high beams of my Philips rally 90/100W fused (low beams were perfect). I replaced them with new bulbs of same make, that too conked off within 2 days, again the high beams only. On checking the battery voltage, it showed normal, but when checked again with the car idling and then racing the engine, there was a clear spike in voltage, which resulted in the high beams fusing. Later on it was diagnosed that my alternator was overcharging the battery (due to faulty rectifier) resulting in those voltage spikes. I got the alternator overhauled, fitted new rectifier and problem got resolved permanently.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 09:23   #9634
BHPian

Okay, so I just talked to my dad, he confirms that the relay is infact a dual headlamp relay. Also, he also suspects a problem with the alternator as suspected by autoindian.

Will keep you guys posted about the developments.
Old 23rd February 2016, 13:24   #9635
BHPian

Hello all,

Ever heard of or used 100w HIDs ? These are available in single beam ie: h1, h7, h3 and in colour temperatures ranging from 4300K to 12000K.

Attaching a picture for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20160223_132158.jpg  

Old 23rd February 2016, 14:18   #9636
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_safari View Post
Ever heard of or used 100w HIDs ? These are available in single beam ie: h1, h7, h3 and in colour temperatures ranging from 4300K to 12000K.
Blindingly bright.

Pls stick to max 55W, and only with projectors.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 14:38   #9637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Blindingly bright.

Pls stick to max 55W, and only with projectors.
Thanks, I know that HIDs are to be used in projectors only.
I intend to put the 100 watters on the aux lights I have and use them on unlit offbeat roads.
Old 23rd February 2016, 14:57   #9638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
the throw of the passenger headlight is farther than the one from the driver side. He also checked in a swift and even that also had a similar issue.

Is that an issue or working as per design?
Recently upgraded the bulbs to Philips Xtreme Vision (Palio). I noticed the same pattern - passenger throw is farther and more towards left (i.e. away from the driver)

I am attempting to align it (there are two adjustment screws on the HL - one for vertical and one for horizontal). Despite several attempts, this disparity remains.

BTW, the Philips Xtreme Visions bulbs have a much better spread and intensity (would say about 20 ~ 25% ) than the stock bulbs (they were ordinary Philips bulbs)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akib Khan View Post
This is default beam pattern in every car. Even i was surprised when i noticed it in my car for the first time.
If that is case, would not it cause more blinding to the oncoming traffic, with our RHS drives?? Any particular logic for this alignment?
Old 23rd February 2016, 17:21   #9639
BHPian

HI All,

Is there a way to adjust the headlight (DIY), if we do not find a flat surface & wall at a distance of 25 feet.
Tata Safaris' manual comes with a pictorial representation of headlight settings, & it states setting against "Screen". Any hints how it is done?

Regards,
Saurabh
Old 24th February 2016, 08:22   #9640
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
HI All,

Is there a way to adjust the headlight (DIY), if we do not find a flat surface & wall at a distance of 25 feet.
Tata Safaris' manual comes with a pictorial representation of headlight settings, & it states setting against "Screen". Any hints how it is done?

Regards,
Saurabh
Is there something wrong with the current setup? If yes then do post a picture of the low beam when you are on an empty road with the leveller set at 0. If it is right and and you unnecessarily meddle with the adjustment, it will turn out to be worse.

Moreover, any adjustments are best made on an open road, or the driveway of your apartment where you have at least 100ft of open space ahead. That is because if you adjust the lights in a closed space with less space ahead, you will hardly notice a change in the beam whereas once you go to the street, you will find a huge difference.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2016, 08:23   #9641
AWD
BHPian

Im looking to install additional DRLs on Enfield Classic, both front & rear in addition to the OE head & tail lamp. Front, I plan to get installed on the front Leg guard & rear probably on the rear seat grab handle. Alternately an ariel red blinker can be installed on the rear. Please suggest suitable arrangements.
Old 24th February 2016, 11:48   #9642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Is there something wrong with the current setup? ..... you will find a huge difference.
Thanks.
Yes there is definately something wrong. I can see both low beams intersecting eack other at around 30-35 feet from the car. The Obtuse angle formed by the low beam (H4 bulbs) are almost on top of each other. Which as per my understanding should be parallel to each other. At least, Not intersecting each other at such a short distance. Additionally the RHS beam is significantly lower than the LHS Beam. This all happened after I upgraded my bulbs.

Was trying to avoid to go in open spaces as I am strugglin to find empty patches, MY driveway is filled with parallely parked cars .

However I guess, whatever you suggested that is the best option . :(
May be sometime in the late night.

Regards,
Saurabh

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 24th February 2016 at 11:50.
Old 24th February 2016, 14:37   #9643

I was thinking of upgrading my 2012 Hyundai i20's headlights. Nowadays I have to do a lot of highway driving at night and current lights seems inadequate. Was earlier mulling the idea of going for HIDs, but local mechanic advised to use it with projectors.
Due to budget constraints, had to drop the idea. Bought philips XV but it did not make much difference. Now I am thinking of going for 100/90 setup with a relay. (my car has dual barrel headlight h7-low, h7-high).

1) Would it have negative impact on the headlights like blackening of lens.
2) What if I only upgrade high beams to 100/90.
3) Local bhpians from Chandigarh, can you recommend someone for this job.
Old 26th February 2016, 02:28   #9644
BHPian

Hi guys,after wandering through this thread,I decided to replace the OEM bulbs in my Vento (still under warranty)to Philips EV of same wattage.However,I am not satisfied with the improvement & throw and hence,decided to go for higher wattage bulbs.I have placed order for Hella Rally 130/90W bulbs.

Now,my query is,what are the additional accessories I need to buy to fit this safely in my car?Based on reading the thread,I know it requires a relay,cut-out,special fuse etc,though I don't know the exact specifications of those items to get a trouble free installation & usage.

Requesting guidance from fellow members in the following areas.
1.Can I get the Philips relay kit from online sites? Will that suffice?
2.Is there some kind of special fuse I must ask for and buy?
3.Is realignment of beam mandatory after changing to the above mentioned setup?

I have planned to get this done at the Mahindra First Choice centre nearby,who quotes Rs.450 for fitting alone with parts provided by me.

Last edited by printh : 26th February 2016 at 02:41. Reason: Spacing ....
Old 26th February 2016, 09:08   #9645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by printh View Post
Hi guys,after wandering through this thread,I decided to replace the OEM bulbs in my Vento (still under warranty)to Philips EV of same wattage.However,I am not satisfied with the improvement & throw and hence,decided to go for higher wattage bulbs.I have placed order for Hella Rally 130/90W bulbs.

Now,my query is,what are the additional accessories I need to buy to fit this safely in my car?Based on reading the thread,I know it requires a relay,cut-out,special fuse etc,though I don't know the exact specifications of those items to get a trouble free installation & usage.

Requesting guidance from fellow members in the following areas.
1.Can I get the Philips relay kit from online sites? Will that suffice?
2.Is there some kind of special fuse I must ask for and buy?
3.Is realignment of beam mandatory after changing to the above mentioned setup?

I have planned to get this done at the Mahindra First Choice centre nearby,who quotes Rs.450 for fitting alone with parts provided by me.
1-Philips or Hella are good. You can try Amazon else these are normally available in plenty at local accessory shops.
2-The relay kit has fuse.
3-Not required. Better to check post installation.

Since you have ordered a higher wattage bulb,you mite risk burning out the reflectors in the long run if not used carefully. I think a 100/90 would have been more than sufficient, saying this since your car is still under warranty.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks