Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2016, 19:25   #9841
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantonob View Post
Is it fine if i upgrade the stock headlamps on my Beat D to 100/90? Will there be issues with the extra heat of the bulbs.I suppose the headlamp enclosure is not glass and there is a reflector sort of stuff over the bulbs.
Previously my driving was limited to the city at night so did not feel the need but on the highways the stock feels inadequate.
Any help here on bulb choices for the upgrade will be helpful too.
Hey Ive got it done around a year and a half back on my Beat Petrol. Used a Philips relay with ceramic holders. So far no issues with blackening reflector. Id say Ive done about 4000km at night with the headlight on including a couple of highway drives and so far its ok
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 19:59   #9842
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantonob View Post
Is it fine if i upgrade the stock headlamps on my Beat D to 100/90? Will there be issues with the extra heat of the bulbs.I suppose the headlamp enclosure is not glass and there is a reflector sort of stuff over the bulbs.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3673686

Check the post for details on the bulb and wiring harness that I have been using since 1 year 1 months or 40K kms. This setup is absolutely reliable and also hasn't had any detrimental effect on any headlight parts.

I'll suggest you to upgrade without any tension.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 21:38   #9843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3673686

Check the post for details on the bulb and wiring harness that I have been using since 1 year 1 months or 40K kms. This setup is absolutely reliable and also hasn't had any detrimental effect on any headlight parts.

I'll suggest you to upgrade without any tension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Hey Ive got it done around a year and a half back on my Beat Petrol. Used a Philips relay with ceramic holders. So far no issues with blackening reflector. Id say Ive done about 4000km at night with the headlight on including a couple of highway drives and so far its ok
Great stuff! Will get it done asap! Wonder why i didn't go for it earlier. Impressed by the light from your swift headlamps A4anurag.
shantonob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 01:20   #9844
BHPian

In reference to my post about the Morimoto Mini H1 6.0's cutoff in the initial ownership thread, could the lighting gurus please comment on the cutoff, it's from a distance of 20-25 feet.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3960454

Is the right projector a little off, or is it meant to be like this?

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-cutoff.png

Morimoto Mini H1 6.0 4500K

Output pictures are available on this post - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3963630

Did not get any inputs about the cutoff on the ownership thread, hence posting here.

Last edited by harsh79 : 6th May 2016 at 01:48. Reason: question..
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 09:08   #9845
BANNED

@harsh79; The pattern looks fine to me. The left beam will be both a bit higher and have throw on the side, for obvious reasons.
sgiitk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 10:35   #9846
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
I find your beam pattern to be perfect. In many cars these days including my Xuv the right side beam pattern is little different from the left one to avoid glare to incoming traffic.
rahul_kej is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 12:47   #9847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
The beam setting procedure – Set the high beam so that it is parallel to the road at headlight mounting height and that BOTH HIGH BEAMS MEET AT THE CENTRE LINE OF THE CAR. In other words, THE HIGH BEAMS MUST REMAIN PARALLEL TO THE ROAD AND BOTH MUST MEET EXACTLY AT THE CAR CENTRE LINE.
I have been trying to understand this 'parallel to the road' aspect of the high beam alignment. In my experience of highway driving, I need the high beams to angle down on the road, at an appropriate distance. But if the high beams are parallel to the road, they will never fall down on the road and would never light the road, instead, they would just blind the oncoming traffic. While such 'parallel to the road' high beams can illuminate the obstacles that are high enough to fall in the path of the beams, they would never illuminate things that are ON the road like stones, dogs, potholes, speed breakers and all other surprises on Indian roads.

In case of SUVs, since the headlights are placed higher, the 'parallel to the road' alignment will place the beams too high to light anything on the road. Case in point - my experience with XUV quoted below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
I spent good amount of quality time with XUV and Mahindra's service personnel this evening in analysing the XUV headlamp beams.
Interestingly, in case of Fortuner and Safari Storme, the high beams angled down and lit the road nicely. I really enjoyed driving them in the night with the excellent visibility and sense of safety.

In my opinion, for safe cruising, the high beams should angle down and clearly light the road within the braking distance for a given speed and some distance beyond as well.

Would like to know your and other experts' thoughts on high beam alignment.
Old 6th May 2016, 13:21   #9848
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Very neat cut-off ! The right side is meant to be like that for RHD cars. (If LHD, then the left side would be cut-off a little lower).

Quote:
I have been trying to understand this 'parallel to the road' aspect of the high beam alignment.
Both options are possible, and your preference would count. A parallel-to-road beam will actually help spot any obstructions on the road ahead. For this one, try to observe using a high-beam in city - when some one is trying to cross the road at night. Toggle the high-beam and you will see how helpful it is to spot these almost invisible pedestrians ..

On the other hand, a (slightly) angled beam will help light up the road itself.

To get best of both options, use a parallel-to-road high-beam and slightly angled aux lamps.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 13:42   #9849
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@harsh79; The pattern looks fine to me. The left beam will be both a bit higher and have throw on the side, for obvious reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_kej View Post
I find your beam pattern to be perfect. In many cars these days including my Xuv the right side beam pattern is little different from the left one to avoid glare to incoming traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Very neat cut-off ! The right side is meant to be like that for RHD cars. (If LHD, then the left side would be cut-off a little lower).
The left one is as it should be. If you look closely at the full size picture, isn't there an overlap on the right wall? Taking away from the crispness of the cutoff. To me the right one seems to be just a little crooked, or is it meant to be like this?
Old 6th May 2016, 14:06   #9850
Distinguished - BHPian

The beam and cut-off is absolutely fine. Note that there the lighting there consists of two lamps placed side by side, with similar cut-off lines.

The cut-off is something like a transversed "Z". When two such lamps are placed beside each other, the combined cut-of / beam will be like this.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 14:59   #9851
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In my opinion, for safe cruising, the high beams should angle down and clearly light the road within the braking distance for a given speed and some distance beyond as well.
Dear Voyager-1 - hello to you. Your sentence itself states "safe cruising". Maybe for "cruising" your setting may suffice, but for driving a fast car at high speed at night with adequate safety margin, I would want my high beams parallel to the road and also converge exactly at the car center line to give me the illumination as close as possible to daylight. Yes, this setting does tend to glare the opposite traffic, but for that you must have self-discipline to dip them as required. I have this self-discipline, I dip my lights so as not to inconvenience the opposite traffic.

I had determined the headlight setting for Storme in November 2011 between Pimpri and Khopoli. The end result was as close to daylight as possible, so I could drive flat-out, it also met the CMVR. In any case, India CMVR calls for headlight dipping switch on the dashboard, which you can use to change to the dip angle that you like (this was in lieu of "something called auto-dipper").

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th May 2016, 15:17   #9852
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Both options are possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHABHAR.BEHRAM View Post
Maybe for "cruising" your setting may suffice, but for driving a fast car at high speed at night with adequate safety margin, I would want my high beams parallel to the road and also converge exactly at the car center line to give me the illumination as close as possible to daylight. Yes, this setting does tend to glare the opposite traffic, but for that you must have self-discipline to dip them as required. I have this self-discipline, I dip my lights so as not to inconvenience the opposite traffic.
Thanks for your responses. In fact, my preference is to lower the high beams to make them fall on the road. Unfortunately, in my analysis with the XUV, I found that the leveling knob works only for the low beam projectors and the high beams stay as-is. This is unacceptable miss from Mahindra. The XUV electrician was sure that the high beams cannot be adjusted. But still, I want to check with the experts here if there are any adjusting screws in the engine bay for the XUV high beams?

Dear Dhabhar Behram, for the Storme, could you confirm that the levelling knob adjusts both the low beam projectors and the high beams together? I checked the Storme owner's manual and this is not clearly mentioned.
Old 12th May 2016, 10:39   #9853
Distinguished - BHPian

One of my Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs conked off (low beam). When I search for replacement bulbs, all I see are the plus variants. With color temp of 3700k. The current ones with me were 4300k. Is Xtreme vision discontinued now? Can I get a single piece anywhere or is it better to buy the + version pair?
Old 12th May 2016, 12:11   #9854
BHPian

Hi Friends, Hyundai Creta Base model comes with normal Headlight set up.
1. What would be the price of upgrading them to Halogen Projector lamps.
When I enquired the Hyundai SA told, the total cost would be 45000 including LED Drls ,
2. Is this right price? can we go for after market Projector set up for Creta ?
3. Will that violate any warranty terms.
4. Is it better to go for Halogen projectors or BiXenon Projectors,
5. what would be the cost difference.
Please advice.
Old 12th May 2016, 16:17   #9855
BHPian

Hi All,

I hope this thread is still active I am looking for pure white headlights (do not want blue tinge nor do i want yellow tinge) So I am confused over two headlight choices.

1. Philips White Vision 4300K
2. Philips Blue Vision Ultra 4000K

So on the Philips site, it says the Lumen rating for White vision is 1000±15%lm
1650 ±15% lm and for the blue vision Ultra is 1650lm.

Can someone please explain the difference? Which ones would be better?

Thanks in Advance

Most Viewed