Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2016, 13:27   #10036
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hello,
I am not satisfied with the light output of my 2011 skoda superb. I wish to upgrade the high beam to a higher watt halogen bulb for which i plan to use a relay kit. I cannot connect the relay kit directly since the canbus shows a bulb out warning. Can i use the canbus error canceler which are available online? Can these units power the relay? Couldnt find any answers online since all of them are talking about HID kits and not halogen wiring. I presume HID kit also uses relay wiring and draws power directly from battery.
Any advice appreciated.
Thanks,
Ajith
Old 16th August 2016, 21:55   #10037
Senior - BHPian

My colleague who owns a 2015 Ertiga asked about suggestions on better lighting and as usual I asked him to start with Philips Extreme vision.

But later it struck me that I can do a side by side compare of Extreme vision vs stock bulbs since My Ertiga is fitted with Extreme vision. So we went to our office basement where we can do a simple test.

The results are given below. I couldn't find any significant difference between the stock and Extreme vision. ( I am not aware if 2015 Ertiga comes with Extreme vision as OEM or not. I will check that tomorrow and update the thread with stock bulb information)

Left side of the yellow line is stock bulbs and right side is extreme vision. Photos are taken with a Nexus 4 in auto mode standing between the cars. Description below is based on my observation than the photos.

1. Low beam with levelling at the lowest position
I could see some improvement in low beam for extreme vision

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-complow.jpg

2. High beam with levelling at the lowest position
Improvement barely noticeable

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-comphighlow.jpg

3. 2. High beam with levelling at the highest position
Improvement barely noticeable. Difficult to judge the difference as both the car lights started merging.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-comphighhigh.jpg

Last edited by arjithin : 16th August 2016 at 21:56.
arjithin is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 22:18   #10038
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
I couldn't find any significant difference between the stock and Extreme vision.
So much hype for these ExtremeVision. it feels like you have some difference when seen in isolation but otherwise the difference is super negligible. I too have resorted to HIDs in my XUV after doing trials with stock Osram and Philips ExtremeVisions!
abirnale is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2016, 22:29   #10039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My colleague who owns a 2015 Ertiga asked about suggestions on better lighting and as usual I asked him to start with Philips Extreme vision.
as both the car lights started merging.
I have a Swift and using Philips Extreme Vision+. Stock bulbs were Osram Bilux, but they were pretty useless, specially in my city where there are a lot of two wheelers which can change direction anywhere, anytime.

The biggest improvement of Philips Extreme Vision+ will be in a stronger low beam. What this eliminates is the need to use high beam. If properly focused, low beam is pretty strong for urban and outskirts driving. On highways, again they are not strong enough.
Problem with these bulbs is high beam focusing, not intensity.

May be due to different length of bulbs and hence filament placement, if I try to have a well focused high beam, low beam focusing and length of throw suffers. The focus of stock bulbs was near prefect in both high and low beams. But with Philips Extreme Vision+, either I can achieve good high beam focus or low beam focus. The setting I have done is for good focus in low beam. High beam focus is not as good as I would have liked, but most of the times low beam is going to be in operation. Probably that is the reason why you feel that high beam improvement is not much.

May be next time I will try Osram Night Breaker+. Best way to improve the light performance is to have a relay and have 90/100W setup. The strong low beam then is good enough for most of the times. There are many members who have this set up installed, and I am planning to get back to it too ( I earlier had that set up in my Swift too for a brief amount of time ).

Last edited by aaggoswami : 16th August 2016 at 22:31.
Old 16th August 2016, 22:46   #10040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The results are given below. I couldn't find any significant difference between the stock and Extreme vision.
Not discounting the fact that reflector design also plays a role in illumination, your experiment goes on to prove that there really is no replacement for Wattage (the auto-lighting equivalent of No replacement for displacement adage) in incandescent bulbs.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 10:20   #10041
Distinguished - BHPian

Cross posting for better advice. I have to choose between 3000k and 4300k aux lights @ 2000 lumens. These are 20w 20° spot lamps.

The 3000k are yellow, and the 4300k are a warm white.

I already have 4900 lumens 5000k driving lights, but mounted on my engine guard on my motorbike, hence the distance spot throw isn't very good, though everything within a 100 meter radius is illuminated like day. I am able to do 110-120 at night with these lights on.

I think on clear nights in the highway without fog or rain, a yellow 3000k will be a wasted enterprise for reach illumination. I think a warm 4300k will be better suited. What is your opinion?

The additional lights will be mounted high up above the head light and positioned for long range throw.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01GG698R2/..._Xe-Sxb0ENHCAS

Please advice?
Old 17th August 2016, 10:31   #10042
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The results are given below. I couldn't find any significant difference between the stock and Extreme vision. ( I am not aware if 2015 Ertiga comes with Extreme vision as OEM or not. I will check that tomorrow and update the thread with stock bulb information)
Not just you but many including myself didn't find any difference with the Xtreme Vision over stock. The marginal improvement is only a placebo effect and nothing else.

A reason why I didn't even try them in the Ertiga and straightaway replaced with 100/90 H4 Philips Rally with Wiring Kit and Relay. Something that I have in WagonR for over 150,000 kms and in Ertiga for over 100,000 kms.

For the regular usage of mine in both the cars, the WagonR's reflectors are still stock and haven't faded like we typically see. I mostly manage only with low beams and high beams come to rescue based on needs.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th August 2016, 12:02   #10043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Cross posting for better advice. I have to choose between 3000k and 4300k aux lights @ 2000 lumens. These are 20w 20° spot lamps.

The 3000k are yellow, and the 4300k are a warm white.

I already have 4900 lumens 5000k driving lights, but mounted on my engine guard on my motorbike, hence the distance spot throw isn't very good, though everything within a 100 meter radius is illuminated like day. I am able to do 110-120 at night with these lights on.

I think on clear nights in the highway without fog or rain, a yellow 3000k will be a wasted enterprise for reach illumination. I think a warm 4300k will be better suited. What is your opinion?

The additional lights will be mounted high up above the head light and positioned for long range throw.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B01GG698R2/..._Xe-Sxb0ENHCAS

Please advice?
Thats a lot of lumens in a motorcycle !!
If you have rain or fog, anything above 110-120 kmph is not safe on a two wheeler. So naturally the reach questions comes only for clear nights where the color temperature dont matter much. My suggestion is to go for 4300K.

The link you provided is for a flood light pattern, it wont help you for 100m+ reach.
Old 17th August 2016, 12:19   #10044
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thats a lot of lumens in a motorcycle !!
If you have rain or fog, anything above 110-120 kmph is not safe on a two wheeler. So naturally the reach questions comes only for clear nights where the color temperature dont matter much. My suggestion is to go for 4300K.

The link you provided is for a flood light pattern, it wont help you for 100m+ reach.
Thanks. But the description below says 20° spot light. How do you have a flood pattern on a 20° clear lens light?
Old 20th August 2016, 11:53   #10045
Distinguished - BHPian

This guys is running some offers on LED lightbars which have free shipping via fedex, and relay kit included.
I have already ordered my 22" one. Check it out. Thats a clear saving of 40-50 USD worth of shipping:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/4373...08.0.53.nTSMvC

Last edited by mayankk : 20th August 2016 at 11:54.
mayankk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2016, 02:08   #10046
BHPian

DRL socket Skoda/VW

Hi,

Could someone help me with following socket for DRL bulb (P21W).

OEM part number: 6R0-953-123-A / 6R0953123A

The only option available on ebay is around 35$ for two sockets. Is it possible to source this from Skoda workshop here

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-bulbsocketfordaytimelight.jpg

Regards.
Old 23rd August 2016, 17:29   #10047

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Xenon planet is based out in Chandigarh. But they have an installer in Bangalore with good experience. So I decided to get the retrofit done in Bangalore and finalised on Mini Super V2 setup (55W ballast, 4300K CN light hid bulb). Also, I opted for panamera shrouds which costs additional 2,000 Rs. Retrofit took around 6 hours. I got the headlights partially smoked (gloss black paint).
Hey drnaren,
How much did it finally cost for the whole projector setup on your baleno?

I am also planning to get the same mini super v2 projector retrofit on my scross.

I am planning for:
Mini super v2 projector
Premium xp bulbs
Xp55 ballasts
Panamera shrouds

Last edited by Aditya : 10th October 2016 at 07:31. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 24th August 2016, 15:56   #10048
BHPian

In my Innova, I have been using upgraded headlight bulbs H4 100/90W along with an equivalent relay. Recently, a bulb fused and I had a spare stock 60/55W halogen and am wondering if I can replace the fused one with a lower watt bulb? Is this ok...at least till I get my appropriate replacement 100/90? Thanks.
Old 24th August 2016, 16:04   #10049
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
In my Innova, I have been using upgraded headlight bulbs H4 100/90W along with an equivalent relay. Recently, a bulb fused and I had a spare stock 60/55W halogen and am wondering if I can replace the fused one with a lower watt bulb? Is this ok...at least till I get my appropriate replacement 100/90? Thanks.
Appreciate your sense to use the spare bulb instead of driving without a beam on one side. You can use the 60/55 bulb, but be prepared to have non-uniform lighting on the side that has the lower wattage bulb.

It is quite common with cabbies who run 100/90 or 130/110, when one of the bulbs blow out, they keep driving with that one working light, often on the LHS
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2016, 16:13   #10050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
Appreciate your sense to use the spare bulb instead of driving without a beam on one side. You can use the 60/55 bulb, but be prepared to have non-uniform lighting on the side that has the lower wattage bulb.
Thanks Silversteed. Technically, if the relay is rated for higher wattage, would you suppose that the lower rated bulbs may blow up/fuse? Unlike the higher rating bulb such as 130/110?

That said, you are right about the non-uniform lighting and it simply best to give away the 'wrong' bulb and keep correct rating spares. I am reminded about how when I change my spectacles because the power changed, the old one continues as a spare. Hmmmm...talk of thrift or being a scrooge!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks