Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2016, 00:07   #10111
BANNED

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
How can this happen all of a sudden? That too after 10 long years?
Can you check the wiring, leads and the socket for the headlight bulb?! It wears off due to usage and weather changes.
Old 19th October 2016, 23:56   #10112
BHPian

Dear all, I have found the headlights of the Elite i20 quite adequate in the city after I upgraded the headlight bulbs to Osram Night Breakers Unlimited. The highway driving with Full Beam especially in the night leaves a lot to be desired. I have been planning to change the bulbs to HID + Projectors but somehow the idea of opening the headlights is just not fine with me. I have seen i20's with water in the headlights further discouraging me to take this step. But then I have been thinking of alternatives.
Came across an old thread by TSK where-in he had placed a LED bar on his Safari and he was quite satisfied with the results. That got me thinking. Why not install LED bar in the grill itself? Have a look at the image, I have indicated where the LED's should go and if they are of perfect size should fit like a tee.

My concerns for this set-up:
1. Biggest concern - Will this void manufacturer's warranty?
2. Is this setup a bit of an overdo considering that the cost might come to same as retrofitting projectors.
3. Since the lights will not be used in the city I feel the cops will be bit less enthusiast in pulling the car on the side.
4. Will this setup last? I have read mixed reviews about LED's with some saying it really lasts long & some contradicting the claim completely.
5. What about the light sputtering (if that is the term) during rains? Will it be affected?
6. Battery & alternator - Will they be able to take the load especially during long highway runs when they will be continuous use.

Any other tips & suggestions are most welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-grill.jpg  

Old 20th October 2016, 07:57   #10113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Can you check the wiring, leads and the socket for the headlight bulb?! It wears off due to usage and weather changes.
Ok. Getting my bike to the service center this weekend and hopefully this bit will also resolve the light being brighter and visible on road.

Additionally, since the Philips normal bulb isnt providing much brightness, per suggestion from the store keeper bought and kept the Osram HS1 cool blue mega xenon look bulb. Fingers crossed now.
Old 20th October 2016, 08:58   #10114
BHPian

I have been buying some led light bar modules for finding out what best suits my requirements of
i) A distance illumination of 200 feet+
ii) Close up flood illumination of 50-100 feet.

I got the following items:
1. 30W 4D cube with 10 degrees beam angle. But I will be replacing it with 42W cubes that are in transit.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs...608.0.0.yq8wUM

2. 40W 3D combo cube. 20degrees spot & 60 degrees flood
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/40W-...608.0.0.yq8wUM

Based on just some rough trials my findings are as follows:-
1. If you want distance illumination go for 10degrees beam angle or lesser.
2. 60 degrees flood results in a lot of scatter and only causes glare for oncoming traffic. Do not go for more than 20 or 30 degrees beam angle for flood.
3. Mount the led bar as low as possible. And then align it horizontal or dipped down by 1-2 degrees. That way you will get maximum throw.

I will be completing my install by Diwali. I will post pictures after that.
sridhar-v is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2016, 09:45   #10115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Looks like there's a new halogen lamp from the house of Phillips - the Racing Vision with +150% output compared to standard lamp. Now this is interesting, although the life is an issue at just 200 hours. Anybody with some real world experience with this?
The 200 hours projected lifetime is about the same as old generation higher wattage "Philips Rally" bulbs and these seemed to last a while depending on usage.
Old 20th October 2016, 16:00   #10116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Could you please share the bulb model and price. Is the power rating same as the stock fog light bulb.
It is OSRAM LED FOG bulb. Mrp 7500/-, usually there is a discount of Rs1000+. Contact the dealer in your area.
The stock fog light is 12V 35W, this is 12v and 10W. Cant see nothing if there is yellow light around, but works well as a spotting light for others.
Visaster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 07:22   #10117
Senior - BHPian

Folks

My car has 100/90 Bosch white light bulbs. Without any change in wiring can I upgrade the bulbs to 130/100 white light.
Will there be any negative consequences because of this or do you suggest me to change the bulbs ?
Old 21st October 2016, 07:48   #10118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Will there be any negative consequences because of this or do you suggest me to change the bulbs ?
Most relays have 30A limit and can provide for 130/100, but you may face problems like the bulb holders melting and reflectors losing sheen.

If you can sacrifice on the 'white light', then i would suggest going for 100/90 Philips rally.
Old 21st October 2016, 07:54   #10119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
Most relays have 30A limit and can provide for 130/100, but you may face problems like the bulb holders melting and reflectors losing sheen.

If you can sacrifice on the 'white light', then i would suggest going for 100/90 Philips rally.
Thanks for your reply. Let me brief about the changes I have made to the car headlight. I have installed Bosch 100/90 white light bulbs. To reduce the intensity a bit I have covered the headlights with tints (not completely black ones). Visibility is reduced only a bit but when I drove to Chennai recently , I found that in the night drive, illumination is not that effective.
So instead of removing the tints, i thought of changing to 130/100 W bulbs.
Old 21st October 2016, 10:25   #10120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suresh_gs View Post
Thanks for your reply. Let me brief about the changes I have made to the car headlight. I have installed Bosch 100/90 white light bulbs. To reduce the intensity a bit I have covered the headlights with tints (not completely black ones). Visibility is reduced only a bit but when I drove to Chennai recently , I found that in the night drive, illumination is not that effective.
So instead of removing the tints, i thought of changing to 130/100 W bulbs.
One of my friend had this setup on his swift Suresh, he got a new relay and instead of 100/90, he went for 130/100 bulbs. In couple of days, the led which he had used for parking lamps melted and even the reflectors were showing signs of melting. I would suggest continue using 100/90 and let go off the tints.
fusionbang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2016, 22:44   #10121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Dear all, I have found the headlights of the Elite i20 quite adequate in the city after I upgraded the headlight bulbs to Osram Night Breakers Unlimited. The highway driving with Full Beam especially in the night leaves a lot to be desired. I have been planning to change the bulbs to HID + Projectors but somehow the idea of opening the headlights is just not fine with me. I have seen i20's with water in the headlights further discouraging me to take this step. But then I have been thinking of alternatives.
Came across an old thread by TSK where-in he had placed a LED bar on his Safari and he was quite satisfied with the results. That got me thinking. Why not install LED bar in the grill itself? Have a look at the image, I have indicated where the LED's should go and if they are of perfect size should fit like a tee.

My concerns for this set-up:
1. Biggest concern - Will this void manufacturer's warranty?
2. Is this setup a bit of an overdo considering that the cost might come to same as retrofitting projectors.
3. Since the lights will not be used in the city I feel the cops will be bit less enthusiast in pulling the car on the side.
4. Will this setup last? I have read mixed reviews about LED's with some saying it really lasts long & some contradicting the claim completely.
5. What about the light sputtering (if that is the term) during rains? Will it be affected?
6. Battery & alternator - Will they be able to take the load especially during long highway runs when they will be continuous use.

Any other tips & suggestions are most welcome.
You could try the new HID bulbs with built in mini projectors. They replace the bulb only without requiring opening the headlight. The intensity and cutoff seems pretty good. Links below :

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...308.4.2.09SqvZ

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/55W-...531393662.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...308.4.2.E27Dqy

Hopefully the links will work fine for you, my aliexpress keeps defaulting to italian for some reason and I tried to correct it when pasting the links above.

You can find out if there is a 4200K colour available. Also, if Im not mistaken the i20 has a single plug for the entire headlight assemble instead of individual exposed ones like other cars so you might have to find a workaround for that.

If all else fails then Osram Night Breakers or Philips Extreme Vision might be your only options
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 11:34   #10122
Distinguished - BHPian

Attention for Ford Figo(new) owners in case you are upgrading to 100/90W:

This is my neighbors car after a few months of using 100/90 bulbs from Phillips(its a fake looking at the bulb):

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_1295.jpg

Was shocked to see this on both sides. Either the bulb is putting out more than 100/90 or the reflector quality is just pathetic. Hence, if you are looking to upgrade, then look away.

And for those planning to use an LED light bar on the road, you are committing a sin. They are not an alternative for a high beam and are most suited for off road applications or places where spread is necessary. Instead, at least get a pair of aux lights and focus them as per your vehicles high beam. And either cases, please turn it off if there is oncoming traffic.

Last edited by audioholic : 23rd October 2016 at 11:38.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 12:37   #10123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
You could try the new HID bulbs with built in mini projectors.
Have you seen any of these in H7 ? Searched, but dont seem to find them
Old 23rd October 2016, 14:45   #10124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Attention for Ford Figo(new) owners in case you are upgrading to 100/90W:

This is my neighbors car after a few months of using 100/90 bulbs from Phillips(its a fake looking at the bulb):

Attachment 1569519

Thanks for updating here. How did you know that the bulbs are fake?
This is particularly worrying for me, as I just installed 100/90 bulbs last week.
Mobike008 has been using 100/90 bulbs in his Aspire for some time now and hasn't reported any issues. Wondering if this is an isolated issue or if it will happen eventually. Do you have any more pics to share?
Old 23rd October 2016, 15:05   #10125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Thanks for updating here. How did you know that the bulbs are fake?
This is particularly worrying for me, as I just installed 100/90 bulbs last week.
Mobike008 has been using 100/90 bulbs in his Aspire for some time now and hasn't reported any issues. Wondering if this is an isolated issue or if it will happen eventually. Do you have any more pics to share?
The original bulbs come with a cleaner print on the bulbs and they also have a silver coloured tip. This car is about seven months old and has done some good highway runs also. Not sure about kms covered. Can take more pictures but this is the center of the damage and the lens have already faded to a light yellow shade.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks