Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:24   #10231
BANNED

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

@RohanDheman; I see these Ultinons are all 6200K. Not ideal in my view, a bit too cold. Will become worse in fog. Are there some LEDs H4s with a lower colour temperature (under 5000K) available?
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:28   #10232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@RohanDheman; I see these Ultinons are all 6200K. Not ideal in my view, a bit too cold. Will become worse in fog. Are there some LEDs H4s with a lower colour temperature (under 5000K) available?
Sir while they are advertised at 6200k, I compared them with my BIL's brio that has a 6000k HID kit (college kid- don't ask me why he put it) these were not as white with that typical blue tinge. i found them to be only slightly brighter than the factory xenons on my C200 and Octavia- more between 4300k and 5000k. Even on the international reviews, a lot of people reported this color variation. I did use them in fog and am happy to report that there were no issues.

Rohan
Old 23rd December 2016, 12:44   #10233
BANNED

@RohanDheman; Strictly colour temperature is for black body radiation, which is a continuous spectrum. So the temperature for an LED (or for that matter a CFL) is not that but based on perception. So variations can be expected.

More important, how do they feel in rain / fog. How good/bad are they, as compared to a halogen.
Old 23rd December 2016, 13:07   #10234
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
More important, how do they feel in rain / fog. How good/bad are they, as compared to a halogen.
Hasnt rained so will reserve judgment on that but I have personally found these to be better in fog along with HID fog lamps than the Halogen plus HID fog lamp option. But i must point out that if there is super dense fog, City will not be taken out and is rarely used beyond 730-8pm in any case.
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 16:15   #10235
BHPian

Guys, please suggest a competent person/garage in/around Gurgaon who could fix auxiliary lights to the bumper of skoda rapid.
Old 26th December 2016, 00:33   #10236
BHPian

I updated my Skoda Laura's Low beam to Philips XV+ which is a lot whiter than stock bulbs & my parking lights looks a lot yellower in comparison. I want to update them to LED & match the color with low beams which are at 3700K.
Any suggestions on the same? Buying the warning canceller is a must or can I get error free lights itself?
Thx
Old 26th December 2016, 13:14   #10237
BHPian

I came across a nice comparison between Phillips Racing Vision and Osram Night Breaker Unlimited.

https://www.drive2.com/l/457800633873878825/

Click on Auto-translate at the top of the page, if not in English already.
Old 2nd January 2017, 11:21   #10238
Senior - BHPian

In my Swift VXi, I am running Lumax Wiring kit along with Osram Rally 90/100W bulbs.
The issue I am facing with this set up is poor high beam focus. Somehow, I am not able to get it correct. So thought of having "Hella" Rally 90/100W from Jalaram Car Accessories, cost Rs. 600/- for two bulbs.

All I can say is this : Dont go for Hella Rally bulbs. No, absolutely no gain in intensity. Focus of high beam is better, but intensity is less. Barely as good as Osram Bilux 55/60W.

Another thing I have observed is post headlight replacement in June 2016 (thanks to a minor accident), RHS beam focus is inconsistent. Irrespective of how much I align horizontally but the beam focus is just not getting right. So, bulb might not be culprit in Osram Rally 90/100W setup.

From my experience what I have observed is :

1) Best Intensity in 90/100W : Philips Rally
2) Best Low beam in 55/60W : Philips Xteme Vision+
3) Best High beam in 55/60W : Ring Ultima +120 Xenon
4) Optimized set up in 90/100W : Osram Rally

Surprisngly, Philips Rally 90/100W are not available on Amazon or Flipkart. 100/130 is way too much, but getting 900/100W (preferably manufactured in EU, but not in India) is tough.

To conclude this post, I wasted my 600 rs. on Hella Rally 90/100W bulbs, hope others can avoid the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20170102_110632.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20170102_110634.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20170102_110637.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20170102_110640.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20170102_110645.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20170102_110651.jpg  

Old 3rd January 2017, 13:31   #10239
BHPian

Hi,
I'm bothered about the headlights on my 2016 Vento, I've missed a few unpainted speedbreakers and the odd pothole here and there. Looking for an upgrade that doesn't void the warranty (hence a full headlight assembly replacement is out of the question)

I want to know if there's a replacement bulb that someone can recommend. I've used Osram Nightbreakers on my Swift before and they were all right. A notch above the stock bulbs but nothing special. So far these are the only ones I've been able to find;

https://www.powerbulbs.com/product/n...r-unlimited-h7

Thanks

PS - H7 is the right type of bulb I should be looking at, no?
Old 4th January 2017, 09:10   #10240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I am using this combination from approximately 2 years/70,000 kms in my Swift ZDi.
@a4anurag, I went to ministers road yesterday to enquire about 100/90 with relay. All the dealers were saying that this setup does not require any relay and only the bulbs needs to be plugged in. Is this correct ?

Also most of them were stressing to go with Osaram instead of Philips which I refused. I am ok with Philips bulbs and Philips/hella wiring harness. Hope to upgrade them this weekend.https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modcpforsitefilter1/moderate.php?do=posts#
Old 4th January 2017, 11:17   #10241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayHopper View Post
@a4anurag, I went to ministers road yesterday to enquire about 100/90 with relay. All the dealers were saying that this setup does not require any relay and only the bulbs needs to be plugged in. Is this correct ?

Also most of them were stressing to go with Osaram instead of Philips ...
Sorry for jumping in even if the question is not directed to me. I was given same logic and hence chipping in, and eventually I am having Lumax wiring kit.
The new wiring set up is required. 55/60 to 90/100W is certainly an upgrade, the stock wiring might not be good enough. Dont put in higher wattage bulbs without wiring kit.

Osram VS Philips. Philips Rally is the best. I just ordered a set of Philips Rally 90/100W from Amazon, here is the link.
Osram isn't bad, but just that Philips is better.

I was on Osram Rally 90/100W, right now on Hella 90/100W (waste of money, my post is here in this thread) and ordered Philips Rally 90/100W. Osram will go into Innova in future, Philips Rally into my Swift.

Note that here I am referring to Osram Rally, not Osram Bilux. Osram Bilux is not very good performer.
Philips has a major issue of counterfeit products aplenty floating in the market. Osram is relatively safe from this. Hence this could be the reason for sellers trying to stick to Osram rather than Philips. This is what I found out after visiting quite a few guys in Vadodara and even in A'bad.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 4th January 2017 at 11:18.
Old 4th January 2017, 11:28   #10242
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, if you upgrade from 55/60 to even 90/100 - then definitely get the wiring kit. And ceramic holders for the bulbs. Better Wiring kit is an obvious yes since the current drawn will be much higher. The stock wiring is meant for current drawn by 55/60W lamps - with some buffer. The current drawn by 90/100 W bulbs is about 75% more than that by stock bulbs.

My experience has been that - even with ceramic holders, the holders in my car have fused due to the heat. ( H4 type bulb).
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 15:01   #10243
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayHopper View Post
All the dealers were saying that this setup does not require any relay and only the bulbs needs to be plugged in. Is this correct ?
Not at all. Don't believe them. Get the wiring harness and a pair of 100/90W bulbs and fit it.

Don't fit 100/90W in the OEM wiring harness, it'll fry the harness very soon.
Old 4th January 2017, 16:35   #10244
BHPian

Never install any higher watt bulb without a wiring harness + fuse, that will make sure that no existing circuit is loaded and draws power directly from the battery.

In case of Duster, higher watt bulbs are not at all recommended esp in the newer gen models. I have seen an instance of melting the HL within 30mins of an installation of a 90/100w combo. The owner had to change both the HLs. Carbon deposit on the front glass inner side is a common issue and this can be seen in most of the cars with higher watt bulbs. So better get an aux driving light or led bar.

The safest option for those who dont want to fiddle with the electricals, Osram NBs or Philips XV is the best. HIDs and LEDs in stock reflectors are known for the blob effect infront of the car that can blind the oncoming traffic. Also it blinds the driver of the car that you are following too, the reflections from the rear view mirror even with low beam can hurt the eyes. Also keep in mind that more the color temp towards white the more opaque will be the droplets during a rain or fog, it will increase if the light intensity is high, in-effect very difficult to drive.

For Osrams, there is no reliable source in India as they have no channel for automotive bulbs. Market is flooded with fakes and even the sellers (those who are aware of this) wont guarantee you that. Better get it from an official partner or distributor like powerbulbs.com. Fakes will conk off randomly and have unpredictable beam pattern + throw and color temp.

Review by a user in DusterClubIndia - DCi who got it from powerbulbs (free shipping worldwide)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/dust...2595653695991/

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 4th January 2017 at 16:36.
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 17:10   #10245
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Never install any higher watt bulb without a wiring harness + fuse, that will make sure that no existing circuit is loaded and draws power directly from the battery.
I never trust such dogmatic statements. Wiring can definitely handle 10A. To be doubly sure see what fuses are there. in my Civic the original fogs are 35W halogen. The replacement HIDs are 55W. I just did a swap, no issues whatsoever. I checked the fuses were 10A. Even 5A fuses should have done, 7.5 would definitely have worked.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks