Old 14th February 2017, 18:58   #10306

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Upgraded the lights on my Honda city to Philips H4 LED

Cheers
Rohan
Hey Rohan,

How did you manage to install the weather seal after replacing the bulb? When I tried to upgrade mine to CREE, the heatsink of the bulb was fouling with the weather seal. And from what I could see, Phillips is also having a similar design for the heatsink.

Ashwin
Old 14th February 2017, 21:41   #10307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinsadeep View Post
Hey Rohan,

How did you manage to install the weather seal after replacing the bulb? When I tried to upgrade mine to CREE, the heatsink of the bulb was fouling with the weather seal. And from what I could see, Phillips is also having a similar design for the heatsink.

Ashwin

Hi Ashwin, I didn't face any issue with the installation of the seal. Everything just fit perfectly. Picture below for reference.

Excuse the dirty engine bay!

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-imageuploadedbyteambhp1487088625.746709.jpg
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2017, 22:30   #10308
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Ashwin, I didn't face any issue with the installation of the seal. Everything just fit perfectly.
Is this H4 LED bulb plug and play like any other H4 halogen?
Old 15th February 2017, 08:19   #10309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayankm View Post
Is this H4 LED bulb plug and play like any other H4 halogen?

Yes. No additional wiring required. It comes with its own heat sink and a small ballast that you can tie down with zip ties. But please do keep it mind that it's expensive at almost ₹13000 for a set. On the positive, the spread is great, original cut off is maintained and there is barely any glare to the oncoming traffic. The fact that the wife hasn't complained even once about the lights, makes this a winner in my books at least.

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2017, 13:04   #10310

Quote:
Yes. No additional wiring required. It comes with its own heat sink and a small ballast that you can tie down with zip ties. But please do keep it mind that it's expensive at almost ₹13000 for a set. On the positive, the spread is great, original cut off is maintained and there is barely any glare to the oncoming traffic. The fact that the wife hasn't complained even once about the lights, makes this a winner in my books at least.

Rohan
How is the beam pattern for X-treme Ultinon. I did not go for that in the first place because the brightness is rated 1000/1250lm which is lower than X-treme Vision Plus(halogens which I'm using now) which is rated at 1650lm.

However, the Cree LED which I have is rated at 4000lm but the beam pattern is absolutely useless. With a dipped beam, it feels as if the left headlamp is not working at all as there is nothing but a black spot towards the left side. If Phillips is doing a better job, maybe I should consider that.

Ashwin
Old 15th February 2017, 13:58   #10311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinsadeep View Post
How is the beam pattern for X-treme Ultinon. I did not go for that in the first place because the brightness is rated 1000/1250lm which is lower than X-treme Vision Plus(halogens which I'm using now) which is rated at 1650lm.

However, the Cree LED which I have is rated at 4000lm but the beam pattern is absolutely useless. With a dipped beam, it feels as if the left headlamp is not working at all as there is nothing but a black spot towards the left side. If Phillips is doing a better job, maybe I should consider that.

Ashwin
No blind spot issues faced so far.

But i will be honest here- both me and my wife almost never ever use beam in the city- it is only used to flash. That's it. The City is never taken out on the highway at night so there was absolutely no need for me to be bothered with the beam pattern. My primary concern was the poor dipped beam, which has been addressed by these bulbs.

If you do drive your car on highways a lot (specially at night), i am sorry but i wont be of much help! In so far as the city usage is concerned, my sincere request to you to not use the beam!

Rohan
Old 15th February 2017, 14:39   #10312

Quote:
No blind spot issues faced so far.
==========
If you do drive your car on highways a lot (specially at night), i am sorry but i wont be of much help! In so far as the city usage is concerned, my sincere request to you to not use the beam!

Rohan
Just to clarify, I was also talking about the dipped beam only. With Cree, I'm having a huge blind spot towards the left.

Glad to hear you are not having any such issues with Phillips. Just wanted to make sure before spending ~10k on it.
Old 16th February 2017, 10:24   #10313
BHPian

Thanks for all th suggestions! I wasn't able to find 3M stuff online... So I guess I will go with the Meguiars stuff. Will post the end result when I get it done! Thanks again!
Old 20th February 2017, 15:15   #10314
BHPian

I have been dabbling since quite some time of retro fitting projectors with Morimoto HID bulbs in my i20 as my highway jaunts have increased quite a bit over the last few months. I would request any fellow member owning an i20 if he has done the same and if they have had any bad experiences.
What are the risks associated with this upgrade. I have been assured by the Morimoto distributor that the worst case is me losing warranty on headlights and it doesnt affect the rest of the car in any way. Is he correct in this?
Are there any chances of leakages happening say 1 or 2 years down the line as I am planning to keep this car for at least 3 more years (its just 2 years old).

Your help and guidance will be highly appreciated.
Old 22nd February 2017, 17:51   #10315
Senior - BHPian

Re: Projectors, HID, ICE etc. - Sainath Auto Ultimate (Khar, Mumbai)

I have projector +HID setup on my car but not sure why, but they are not bright enough to light the road ahead. Its actually worse than the regular halogens that come standard in the cars. I have changed the ballast too but somehow, it doesn't help. This came in the car when I bought it from the previous owner and I hadn't looked at it as I was contemplating the future of the car. However having decided to keep the car for sometime, I'm keen to invest and get this fixed.

Considering am a noob in HIDs, please let me know what all needs changing and tentatively how much will it cost.

Also who will be a good guy in Mumbai to do this.
Old 22nd February 2017, 18:49   #10316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I have projector +HID setup on my car but not sure why, but they are not bright enough to light the road ahead. Its actually worse than the regular halogens that come standard in the cars. I have changed the ballast too but somehow, it doesn't help. This came in the car when I bought it from the previous owner and I hadn't looked at it as I was contemplating the future of the car. However having decided to keep the car for sometime, I'm keen to invest and get this fixed.

Considering am a noob in HIDs, please let me know what all needs changing and tentatively how much will it cost.

Also who will be a good guy in Mumbai to do this.

MileCruncher, which car are we talking about? Are the projectors stock fitment or are they aftermarket?

If they are stock fitment, then in all probability they came with halogen bulbs in the projectors. Fitting a HID bulb in a halogen projector might not give the desired output.

If they are aftermarket fitment, then the projectors themselves might not be of decent quality and hence you are not getting the desired output. There could also be an issue of alignment.

Best,
Engimatic
Old 22nd February 2017, 19:37   #10317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
MileCruncher, which car are we talking about? Are the projectors stock fitment or are they aftermarket?

If they are stock fitment, then in all probability they came with halogen bulbs in the projectors. Fitting a HID bulb in a halogen projector might not give the desired output.

If they are aftermarket fitment, then the projectors themselves might not be of decent quality and hence you are not getting the desired output. There could also be an issue of alignment.

Best,
Engimatic
Mine is an Octavia 1.8Turbo (VRS Engine) and the HID is an aftermarket fitment. Alignment is perfect but luminosity is suspect.
Old 23rd February 2017, 11:04   #10318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Mine is an Octavia 1.8Turbo (VRS Engine) and the HID is an aftermarket fitment. Alignment is perfect but luminosity is suspect.
MileCruncher,

If I remember correctly, the Octavia VRs and the L&K Octavia came with company fitted projectors.

Have a look at this:

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc_1636t.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_9055.jpg

The projectors to the extreme left and right are the fog lamps. You really cant expect much throw from them since they are supposed to flood the area near the car.

The projectors in the middle are the low beam projectors, and I believe they came with HID bulbs in them. These were supposedly very good for their time. Are these the projectors you are referring to?

P.S. All other versions of the Octavia came with the fog lamp projectors but not the low beam projectors.

Best,
Enigmatic

Last edited by Enigmatic : 23rd February 2017 at 11:10.
Old 26th February 2017, 13:32   #10319
BHPian

Hi Gurus

I have a 2016 June Elite i20 aata o with projectors.

HB3 I think.

While the brightness is decent for city, for highway driving the illumination is lacking for me, esp high beam

I have the below options in my mind -

1. 55w HID in stock halogen projector - I've read this won't improve illumination as hot spot for hid and halogen projector is different.

2. 55w NBU - I've heard mixed reviews and after seeing less impact in my i10 not interested in it

3. 55w LED from aliexpress - not sure of this, whether it will fit/how will the illumination be in projector

4. 100w rally bulb with relay - most tempted towards this, but not sure whether it will work out.

I don't want to void warranty in any cost(bought extended warranty)
Old 1st March 2017, 20:04   #10320
Senior - BHPian

I found the stock Philips H4 bulbs of my wife's i20 2009 A/T to be insufficient so ordered a pair of GE Megalight Ultras from PayTM.

I found the light of the GE ones to be good and comparable to my Linea in which I put Philips Xtreme Vision.

Cost me around Rs. 900 a pair considering the cashback.
carwatcher is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed