Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd March 2017, 13:17   #10321
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

So, while on the topic of lighting, with manufacturers now quoting different units, this is useful.. or I thought so at any rate, since i am not an engineer..

And, also this to understand how angles of light impact illuminance (considering headlights hit the road at an angle)..

Last edited by Sridutt : 2nd March 2017 at 13:25.
Old 2nd March 2017, 13:50   #10322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carwatcher View Post
I found the stock Philips H4 bulbs of my wife's i20 2009 A/T to be insufficient so ordered a pair of GE Megalight Ultras from PayTM.

I found the light of the GE ones to be good and comparable to my Linea in which I put Philips Xtreme Vision.

Cost me around Rs. 900 a pair considering the cashback.
Seems reasonably priced compared to the Philips XV+ Please do post night time driving experience on highways if possible.
Old 2nd March 2017, 16:15   #10323
Senior - BHPian

Need help/guidance on upgrading the headlights on my car, a palio stile.

Need to change is plainly because I have planned lot of highway rides and the stock lamp does not provide enough throw.

I am looking for installing a LED bar instead of upgrading my headlights. Reason for this is that I have seen that the lights from the cars of people upgraded to osram's/philips are blinding even though the installation and alignment was done at a reputed service center.

I am happy with the illumination provided by the stock lamps inside city but for the highways and in low light areas I would better have a LED bar for better visibility. I tried researching but could not know which is a reputed brand. Any help is identifying a reputed make and also if possible an installer in Bangalore would really help me.
Old 2nd March 2017, 19:11   #10324
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
I am looking for installing a LED bar instead of upgrading my headlights.
No

(most) LED bars satisfy the need, but blind the on-coming traffic (especially when you wish to use them as replacement for High-beam) I suggest upgrading your stock bulbs rather than going for LED bars.
Old 2nd March 2017, 22:35   #10325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
No

(most) LED bars satisfy the need, but blind the on-coming traffic (especially when you wish to use them as replacement for High-beam) I suggest upgrading your stock bulbs rather than going for LED bars.
Oh is it. I thought it was the other way round as the LED bars are installed at a lower height than the bulbs and would be aligned properly. I have seen couple of cars using them and was not blinded as such and hence thought of going for LED bar.
Old 2nd March 2017, 23:58   #10326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post

I am looking for installing a LED bar instead of upgrading my headlights.
Been there. Done that. Not worth it.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20151205_1457162001.jpg

The light output is barely useful, most LED light bars give out a spot light which is useless in real world usage.

There is no alternative to a good headlight.

Anyways, I still need to align the foglamp projectors, they're aimed too low and throwing out a lot of foreground light. Still, sometimes I feel my setup is too bright. Now I really know what lighting overkill is.

SunnyBoi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 01:49   #10327
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Anyways, I still need to align the foglamp projectors, they're aimed too low and throwing out a lot of foreground light. Still, sometimes I feel my setup is too bright. Now I really know what lighting overkill is.
Hey Sunny how are you doing? I was wondering if you can fix projector light in place of the normal headlights.
Old 3rd March 2017, 09:59   #10328
BHPian

The glass on my Santro Xing's headlights has turned yellow. Because of this, visibility in the night is pathetic. Low beam is almost useless if there's any oncoming vehicle. Most of the time I have to use high beam (usually I switch to low beam as soon as there's any oncoming vehicle to not to blind them). But even the high beam is ineffective if someone's approaching from opposite side.
So I had a few queries:
1. Is it possible to clean the headlight glass? One of the FNG told me that they'd take one day to clean it and it's possible. But I don't want to spend money without asking experts here.

2. If above isn't possible (or not worth it), is it even possible to go for OEM headlights with headlight height adjustment? I have seen several Santros with leveling switch next to the right side AC vents. Also, will it be worth? Asking this, as I was thinking that I might keep the high beam ON always and keep the headlight leveling to lowest so the light falls on the ground and wouldn't blind oncoming traffic.

Please share you thoughts.

Thanks!
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:01   #10329
BANNED

@pkulkarni.2106; Yes, cleaning and removal of scratches is possible and has been done. I expect once to remove the scratches and polish the plastic (or glass) then the quality of illumination will improve. Make sure that the reflector is not damaged. There are two or three threads detailing what was done. With a not so bad case in my earlier Santro I managed to restore quite a lot, by simple polishing the glass with 'Scratch Out'. In fact the tag on the bottle indicated that it is for restoring headlights. Was not ideal but was good enough.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 11:27   #10330
Senior - BHPian

Guys using Bosch HL harness be careful. The relay kit ticks all checkboxes such as right gauge of wiring ceramic holders, good brand etc however there is a serious flaw.

They have put a plastic shroud around ceramic holder which can melt.

I opened my headlight cover after a long time as low beam was not working and found that black colour cover of ceramic holder has melted and some of it was deposited on clip keeping holder in place and rest is melted and deposited on the lower side of white ceramic.

I was using this with 90 /100 bulbs for around 3 years after using lots of expensive Phillips Xtreme power 55/65 bulbs on OEM holders.

It will be best if you cut off the plastic covers from ceramic holder using wire cutter.

PS : The plastic is thick and of good quality with tight fit on ceramic so not easy to cut. In fact while fitting I did not realise it is a cover over ceramic.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2017, 12:31   #10331
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@pkulkarni.2106; Yes, cleaning and removal of scratches is possible and has been done. I expect once to remove the scratches and polish the plastic (or glass) then the quality of illumination will improve. Make sure that the reflector is not damaged. There are two or three threads detailing what was done. With a not so bad case in my earlier Santro I managed to restore quite a lot, by simple polishing the glass with 'Scratch Out'. In fact the tag on the bottle indicated that it is for restoring headlights. Was not ideal but was good enough.
Thank you sir!
When you said that you managed to restore your Santro's headlights, did you mean you did it yourself?

A few months ago, I tried to clean the glass with toothpaste. But I didn't find any noticeable difference in the clarity.

Also, I tried searching for "Scratch Out" but couldn't find any products with that name. May be it's discontinued now. As you've said that it's possible to get it shine once again, I think there's no harm in giving it to the FNG to do this.

Thanks once again!
Old 4th March 2017, 11:43   #10332
BHPian

Hi guys,
Looking to upgrade my yeti's headlights to projectors with HID. Can anyone suggest a good place in mumbai who can install at a reasonable cost. xenonplanet.in does not have service in mumbai but they are offering Mini Super v3 kit for 18k.
Old 4th March 2017, 13:58   #10333
Senior - BHPian

Re: Projectors, HID, ICE etc. - Sainath Auto Ultimate (Khar, Mumbai)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
MileCruncher,

If I remember correctly, the Octavia VRs and the L&K Octavia came with company fitted projectors.

Have a look at this:

Attachment 1611773

Attachment 1611774

The projectors to the extreme left and right are the fog lamps. You really cant expect much throw from them since they are supposed to flood the area near the car.

The projectors in the middle are the low beam projectors, and I believe they came with HID bulbs in them. These were supposedly very good for their time. Are these the projectors you are referring to?

P.S. All other versions of the Octavia came with the fog lamp projectors but not the low beam projectors.

Best,
Enigmatic
I have an aftermarket fitment which has a LB/HB Projector with HID Bulb. The ballast is same as the one here http://www.amazon.in/Petrox-XENON-He.../dp/B01FE95JFW

The arrangement looks like this
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20170223_215314.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20170226_083223.jpg
Old 4th March 2017, 14:57   #10334
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
Also, I tried searching for "Scratch Out" but couldn't find any products with that name.
I checked today on Amazon.in. It is there on Amazon.in. Made by Formula 1. Waxpol also have a similar product.

http://www.amazon.in/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...ds=scratch+out

Yes, I did it myself. Not at all a tricky job. You need some patience.

Last edited by sgiitk : 4th March 2017 at 15:00.
Old 5th March 2017, 23:50   #10335
BHPian

Hi Guys,
So the high beam bulb on the right headlamp of my Fortuner finally blew after 95,000Kms.
According to the manual the high beam requires a 60W hb3 bulb.Now,instead of replacing it with the OEM bulb can I replace it with a 60W Osram night breaker (http://www.amazon.in/Osram-P9005-Nig...2-c997dff3d533) ?
Will it damage the reflector housing?
Also,has anyone else tried this bulb in their fortuner?
Is it better than the OEM bulb or should I stick to the OEM bulb?

Cheers,
Abhishek

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks