Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2017, 16:44   #10426
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by vignesh.cv View Post
I have a Skoda Laura that has halogen projectors for low beam like yours. I've been running a 35W CNLight 4300K H7 bulb with 35W DLT X3 Canbus ballast for the past 2 years in my car without any issues. I do a lot of late evening/night highway runs and the improved lighting is a boon to me. I did the installation myself, and there was no need to cut/splice anything. I got the kit from Aliexpress.
Thanks Vignesh, I shall consider this set up as the next upgrade. Currently I have a cut out with 90/100 bulbs for the high beam, but the throw isn't that great and illuminates only a few meters ahead than farther distance!
Old 13th May 2017, 17:32   #10427
BHPian

How good are the new LED replacement bulbs from Philips and other makers which imitate the beam pattern of a filamment with thin line of LEDs?

Are they any better than the older models in terms of beam pattern and focus?

As of now, I have the older COB style H4 LED bulbs fitted on my Ecosport. The low beam is okay, though not well focused, but certainly bright enough to illuminate the whole width of the road very well.
Old 13th May 2017, 19:40   #10428
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
How good are the new LED replacement bulbs from Philips and other makers which imitate the beam pattern of a filament with thin line of LEDs?
Bulbs and reflectors are designed in a combination. The beam pattern of LED vs Halogen being different, the LED is not likely to help you.
( Classic example is getting HID bulbs in headlamps meant for Halogen lamps. The light will spread & is not focussed)
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 20:57   #10429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Bulbs and reflectors are designed in a combination. The beam pattern of LED vs Halogen being different, the LED is not likely to help you.
( Classic example is getting HID bulbs in headlamps meant for Halogen lamps. The light will spread & is not focussed)
That was the case with the earlier generation of replacement LEDs, which I am using. It has poor focus because the light source is placed differently from a standard H4 lamp. These new LED replacement lamps are claimed to be designed to specifically address this very issue, and emulate the light source placement of thw bulbs they replace like H4, H11, H7 as the case may be.

Below are pictures of these new LEDs. Onebis from Philips and costs about 12k for a set. The other is a chinese copy, and costs about 2k for a set.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-420517851970699277.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-screenshot_20170513205022512_com.android.chrome.png

I was wondering if someone here had tried out these new bulbs and had any feedback on them.
vivekgk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2017, 21:08   #10430
BHPian

Quote:

I was wondering if someone here had tried out these new bulbs and had any feedback on them.
I had looked at a few reviews online and the consensus is that they work quite well. However, I personally feel that they are quite expensive.
Some people on the same review thread had posted good success with the cheap chinese versions as well. The Phillips one supposedly comes with better heatsinks and design which would obviously mean a reliably long life.

http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61...1254065?page=1
rdst_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 11:51   #10431
BHPian

Hi,

I have a 2015 Honda City VX Ivtech

The low beam is useless and the high beam will just blind others.

I want to change all bulbs to LED for better lighting.

The low beam bulb is 60w H11 and the high beam bulb is H11 55W

I dont want to put halogen 100w bulbs as they black out the headlamp casing over time due to excess heat.

i was thinking of putting this -

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Supe...999.264.qeMszm

But hte seller is not giving any relay.

Is it safe to put a 72W LED bulb each in the high beam and low beam in the city directly connected to the battery? Or will it drain? If so can you recommend any relay from aliexpress?
dhruvwali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 13:47   #10432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post
Is it safe to put a 72W LED bulb each in the high beam and low beam in the city directly connected to the battery? Or will it drain? If so can you recommend any relay from aliexpress?
Safer to go with a relay. You can get one locally too. No need to depend on Aliexpress for the relay
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 14:39   #10433
BHPian

As per your experience if I put a 90w + relay does it darken the OEM headlamps?

Does it happen in every case?

Cause LEDs have bad rainy weather performance, I would rather use a stronger wattage bulb.
Old 15th May 2017, 16:20   #10434
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvwali View Post
Safe for who? Do you realise how bright a 72W LED bulb will be?

Forget battery drain, worry about oncoming traffic falling into the drain after getting blinded by your 72W LED light. You will be a moving traffic hazard.
Samurai is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th May 2017, 16:29   #10435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Safe for who? Do you realise how bright a 72W LED bulb will be?

Forget battery drain, worry about oncoming traffic falling into the drain after getting blinded by your 72W LED light. You will be a moving traffic hazard.
Noted, I just found out that the LED glare will be too much.

Also these bulbs have a weird notation. 72w per set, 36W per Bulb.

So not that bright after all.

But still the glare would be too much + the length of the bulb is too long to fit in the holder, the cap doesnt close.

So moisture can enter the headlight.

So have dropped the idea of the LED bulbs.

Now thinking about a 90W rally bulb + relay, problem is with the relay the cup will still not close AFAIK.

That and the risk of the headlamp cluster darkening due to excessive heat.
Old 17th May 2017, 10:37   #10436
BHPian

Quote:
Below are pictures of these new LEDs. Onebis from Philips and costs about 12k for a set.

Attachment 1638453
Where can we get these (X-Treme Ultinon) here locally? If not any idea about where in US? I did a quick search in Amazon.com but nothing turned up.

Thank you in advance.
Old 17th May 2017, 14:15   #10437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadmark View Post
Where can we get these (X-Treme Ultinon) here locally? If not any idea about where in US? I did a quick search in Amazon.com but nothing turned up.

Thank you in advance.
They are listed on Amazon.in in their H4 guise. I have also seen them listed on Phillips India site so you could probably buy from their authorised dealers as well.
Old 18th May 2017, 10:03   #10438
BHPian

Guys, I am in serious need of headlight upgrade on my Accent. Currently I'm using 60/55 H4 Osram NB+ (for over 2 years) and after going through over 100 pages of this thread, I feel 100/90 Philips XV+ with a proper relay+ceramic holders is the best bet.

I however also wanted to consider 130/100s. What are the cons of using this over 100/90s in a stock setup?
Old 19th May 2017, 09:54   #10439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd1200 View Post
I feel 100/90 Philips XV+ with a proper relay+ceramic holders is the best bet.

I however also wanted to consider 130/100s. What are the cons of using this over 100/90s in a stock setup?
I doubt if 90/100 Philips XV+ are available.
A good setup could be with Philips Rally 90/100W bulbs, the set of bulbs my Swift currently has.

Biggest cons of this set up in my opinion is glare faced by oncoming traffic in high beam. The high beam is noticeably strong, one has to be careful while operating high beam.
On the other hand, low beam is also very strong which helps a lot as the sufficiently strong low beam means high beam requirement is seldom in city and semi-urban areas.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 19th May 2017 at 09:56.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2017, 12:11   #10440
Senior - BHPian

So I plan to upgrade the lighting of both my cars - my 2011 VW Polo 1.6 and my 2015 VW Jetta TDI DSG.

Aim : To improve the current visibility so it is targeted towards performance.

VW Polo 1.6
Being a 2011 model, the car comes stock with clear reflectors. I had upgraded the headlight bulbs (H4) and fog lamp bulbs (H8) to Philips Xtreme Vision and there was definitely a noticeable difference in output and overall visibility. But this still left a lot to be desired.
So I decided to go for an aftermarket bi-xenon projector setup for the headlights with 5000K bulbs. Now the question for me is; in terms of visibility, is 5000K fine or is it better to stick with 4300K bulbs?
For the fogs I have decided to go with a HID setup (without projectors) with the same colour temperature as the headlights. Is it worth it or should I just stick to halogens?

VW Jetta
This is simpler. The Jetta already comes with a projector setup and 4300K HID bulbs as OEM. The lighting is pretty good but can it get better? Will just a bulbs change, like say to the Osram Xenarc CBI make a noticeable difference in visibility since they are expensive too?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks