Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2017, 16:29   #10591
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsh79 View Post
Maybe I'm being pedantic but the RHS headlight's cut-off is not parallel to the one on the left, it's a little skewed.
I am not sure what you are pointing out at exactly. The beam has been aligned to the same height and pattern as that of my Jetta at the exact same distance from the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Hope the resealing works. Do update
Yes will observe for a week and update.

Quote:
I don't think it is the alignment. Mini super projectors have this bowing issue. If you notice carefully, the cut off is going down towards the ground (can make out on RHD cut off pic). You need to park your car at good distance and then take a pic which captures cut off of both sides end to end to get a clear picture. Anyways, this bowing would not affect much in terms of practicality.
I have noticed that some projectors slope the beam downwards on the driver's side; be it LHS or RHS. My Jetta doesn't have it.

Quote:
Also, I can observe that there is difference in colour between LHD and RHD cut off. I do not know if it's due to camera. Do check it again and update. Cheers!
Colour is the same from both bulbs. Must be the camera as I have shot this from my iPhone 7.
Epic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 16:54   #10592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I am not sure what you are pointing out at exactly. The beam has been aligned to the same height and pattern as that of my Jetta at the exact same distance from the wall.
The part I'd annotated on the previous pic shows the misalignment. The RHS projector's rotation is a little off-centre to the left.

The black like is how it should ideally be, your's is a little skewed (red line).

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_1648.jpg
harsh79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2017, 18:06   #10593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The part I'd annotated on the previous pic shows the misalignment. The RHS projector's rotation is a little off-centre to the left.

The black like is how it should ideally be, your's is a little skewed (red line).

Attachment 1659838
Ok. Basically what you are saying is that there should be only one step and not two. There should be a straight line from the left and continue until there is only one step on the right. That is possible if I rotate the RHS projector slightly anti clockwise. But in that case the RHS beam will slope abnormally.

Please let me know if I have understood correctly.
Old 23rd July 2017, 18:38   #10594
BHPian

Quote:
Ok. Basically what you are saying is that there should be only one step and not two. There should be a straight line from the left and continue until there is only one step on the right.
Yes, ideally the cut-off lines should be perfectly in line, as if there's just one line.

One step or two is down to personal preference. Even if you're going for the two step cut-off, the misalignment is quite apparent.

Quote:
That is possible if I rotate the RHS projector slightly anti clockwise. But in that case the RHS beam will slope abnormally.

Please let me know if I have understood correctly.
That's because the left one is also sloping. That's not a bad thing, I too like it sloping by a degree or two but then both need to be set at exactly the same slope.
Old 26th July 2017, 22:26   #10595
BHPian

Dear Friends,

Could anyone please give their expert comments on the below one?

1. https://goo.gl/oc9huN

I am looking forward to the 7S variant out of all variants available with them. One of the main reasons being, it is a direct plug-n-play solution without any extended wires. It looks exactly like the halogen bulbs. If your experience doesn't recommend the above then please suggest me which one of the below would work well with Honda City 2017 model. The requirement is 9005/HB3 for High Beam, H11 for Low Beam & if I may then also H8 for the fogs.

2. https://goo.gl/cbTqkY

3. https://goo.gl/K2JVYj

Thanks in advance.
Old 27th July 2017, 18:17   #10596
BHPian

I have finally decided to take the plunge and upgrade (retrofit) my headlamps to projectors. Have been doing my research online (Big time on this forum) and have narrowed down my choice between Morimoto and Xenon Planet.

The only issue I found with Morimoto is that their main distributor is in Delhi and the Mumbai distributor has not been that great whilst communicating the available choices. On the other hand, the distributor of Xenon Planet seems to be a very patient person. He, in fact, told me not to go with the most expensive of their offering but one lower as that was better in every way including costs.

My only issue is both of them are offering only HID projectors and the way I see things going HIDs seem to be on their way out and will be replaced by LED projectors. All new cars coming with projectors are with LEDs only - right from the uber luxury barges to the humble Maruti's (Ignis, Dzire & may be even Swift).

I am sure both these brands will also roll-in their LED offerings sooner or later hence I was wondering if it is better to wait out till the time they launch or go ahead with the HIDs.

The BIG advantage I see of HIDs is that it's a tried and tested technology, where-as LED's will be an all new ball game. The risks are always there but this is not something which you change on a regular basis for sure.

Would be glad if the experts can throw some more light (no pun intended) on this and which will be a better solution to settle for. Thanks to all in advance.
Old 28th July 2017, 13:52   #10597
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
I am sure both these brands will also roll-in their LED offerings sooner or later hence I was wondering if it is better to wait out till the time they launch or go ahead with the HIDs.
Quote:
The BIG advantage I see of HIDs is that it's a tried and tested technology, where-as LED's will be an all new ball game. The risks are always there but this is not something which you change on a regular basis for sure.
You answered your own question in a way.
I think LED is in its early years. Will take some time to evolve while being affordable at the same time. The one you see on the bigger luxury cars are quite good but just too costly for a retrofit.
Personally, i will go with HID projectors for their ease of installation, low pricing and longer durability. Best of all, i like the fact that you can just change the color of the light output by changing a bulb. An LED runs at 6000k+ which makes visibility a problem in certain foggy/rainy situations.

Quote:
Would be glad if the experts can throw some more light (no pun intended) on this and which will be a better solution to settle for. Thanks to all in advance.
The moment you request comments from experts, few people might refrain from commenting here. Take in everyone's feedback and decide on your own. Even non-experts use and upgrade headlight assemblies.
Note : I am not an expert
Myth_sx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2017, 14:04   #10598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samkat1 View Post
Dear Friends,

Could anyone please give their expert comments on the below one?

1. https://goo.gl/oc9huN
2. https://goo.gl/cbTqkY
3. https://goo.gl/K2JVYj

When I picked up H4 LED headlamps, the criteria I followed was
1. fan less model - One less part to worry about failure in long term in Indian dusty conditions
3. Minimum of 200 orders. The specs given will always show a brighter picture, so was searching for actual user feedback.
arjithin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 10:40   #10599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, ideally the cut-off lines should be perfectly in line, as if there's just one line.

One step or two is down to personal preference. Even if you're going for the two step cut-off, the misalignment is quite apparent.

That's because the left one is also sloping. That's not a bad thing, I too like it sloping by a degree or two but then both need to be set at exactly the same slope.
So here is the projector cut off after re-setting it. I basically raised the right beam a bit. With regards to the alignment, I am told that this can be corrected by slightly rotating the bulb.

First pic is before the setting and second pic is after the setting.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-projector-beam-before.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-projector-beam-after.jpg  

Epic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th July 2017, 13:59   #10600
BHPian

Quote:
So here is the projector cut off after re-setting it. I basically raised the right beam a bit. With regards to the alignment, I am told that this can be corrected by slightly rotating the bulb.

The alignment looks slightly better, skewing can be corrected only reopening the headlight assembly and physically realigning the projector.

Since the RHS headlamp cut-off is now clearly visible, looks like it doesn't match the cut-off on the left, cut-off on the left one is perfect.
Old 29th July 2017, 21:02   #10601
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

As harsh79 noted, the cutoff for the right side projector is not perfect. You can also see that the color at the hotspot is not blue as in the left projector.

With this new alignment, one issue is that you will have a dark spot are between the left and right projectors. Your previous alignment where the right side beam is lower and aligned with the lower part of the left beam is the right way to get rid of this dark spot. And that is how OEM projectors are aligned as well.
Old 29th July 2017, 21:24   #10602
Senior - BHPian

Do White OEM HID and LED Headlights really help illuminate the darkest roads on a rainy night?

This might be Off-Topic.

Yesterday I saw the Latest Fortuner (the New Gen) at night with Headlights ON.
When I noticed the Headlights, a thought went through my mind-
The OEM HIDs and LEDs (Headlights) that come with vehicle are mostly White i.e. they have White Throw of Light. How come they don't cause visibility problems in rains on darkest and pothole-ridden roads?
Old 29th July 2017, 21:25   #10603
BHPian

Quote:

Hi Epic. I see you are putting in all efforts to get the alignment. I have read somewhere on this forum about a guy in mumbai who does the projector allignment for all the highend cars. I am not sure about the location but i guess he is in Bandra and charges 500 per hour. A couple of mumbai bhpians have got it done from his shop.
Hope this helps.
Old 1st August 2017, 20:33   #10604
BHPian

Hello Everyone,

I need some advise on upgrading my Creta E+ headlights. The current one (H4 60/55w) throw is not good for highway drive. I can't afford to go for aftermarket installation of projector headlamps and would prefer to upgrade the bulbs to philips or any other brand wit good output (60/55w) or anything better than this but should be safe and not be overkill for the current setup in terms of load and life.

Last edited by atulsian : 1st August 2017 at 20:35.
Old 1st August 2017, 20:35   #10605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
Hello Everyone,

I need some advise on upgrading my Creta E+ headlights. The current one (H4 60/55w) throw is not good for highway drive. I can't afford to go for aftermarket installation of projector headlamps and would prefer to upgrade the bulbs to philips or any other brand wit good output (60/55w) or anything better than this but should be safe and not be overkill for the current setup in terms of load and life.
Please try Osram Nightbreaker Laser bulbs. They might suit your requirement.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks