Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2017, 15:54   #10741
PAS
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hello Mates,

I have a single unit of hella 500ff (Driving beam) which survived a kiss in bumper to bumper traffic few years back. I had plans to use it on bike since I got a new pair of 500ff for the car. However, I don’t think single 500ff would do any good to light up the roads and for sure would suit on a bike (Avenger 220)

I am thinking about a cheap HID projector pair for bike, in a DIY style. Don’t know if this thought will ever see days light, since bike trips have reduced to maximum of 2 /3 overnight rides a year, rest of the time it doesn’t even make to grocery market.

The plan if materializes is to install a 35 watt HID inside the Hella 60 mm modules. I couldn’t find much info except for some one doing it for few classic car makeovers in US.
Has someone here tried this before (either on car or bike)? Would it be a good idea? I am thinking of one low beam and one high beam on either side of the crash guard.
Any and all help & advice is much appreciated.

Regards,
Old 4th October 2017, 15:27   #10742
BANNED

After a good 4.5 years of driving my Aria with poor stock low beams - mainly due to the projector lens, decided to go for LEDs. Found a good pair on Amazon.com while I was traveling and installed them sometime last week and I will let the pictures do the talking.

I was not able to caption the pics - Mods may please help me on this.

From top to bottom - With no lights, with LED low beam from drivers seat, LED low beam from the outside (approximately 50 feet away), color temperature and LED low beam as viewed from near the LH headlamp) and beam pattern.
In the excitement of fitting the LEDs, I forgot to take a 'before' picture for reference
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-p_20170918_185450.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-p_20170918_185503.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-p_20170918_185659.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-p_20170918_185733.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-p_20170918_185747.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-p_20170918_190013.jpg  

Kishen.padiyar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 15:48   #10743
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
After a good 4.5 years of driving my Aria with poor stock low beams - mainly due to the projector lens, decided to go for LEDs. Found a good pair on Amazon.com while I was traveling and installed them sometime last week and I will let the pictures do the talking.

I was not able to caption the pics - Mods may please help me on this.

From top to bottom - With no lights, with LED low beam from drivers seat, LED low beam from the outside (approximately 50 feet away), color temperature and LED low beam as viewed from near the LH headlamp) and beam pattern.
In the excitement of fitting the LEDs, I forgot to take a 'before' picture for reference
Which LED's are these? Can you share the link from amazon.com?
Old 4th October 2017, 16:11   #10744
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Which LED's are these? Can you share the link from amazon.com?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I3GKGN8..._8pmhBJeornshf

This link is for the H7 type. Cost $56 approx. 40W and 4800 lumens per bulb is the rating.
Kishen.padiyar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 19:13   #10745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post

Hi Vinod,

Well, finally went for a bulb upgrade. Fitted the Phillips Extreme Vision Plus 55/60W bulbs at Rs. 800.00 each. The light is definitely an improvement over the normal Extreme Vision bulbs - by about 10% or so I would say. The light also appears to be slightly "whiter" than the normal XV bulbs.

On a dark, wet road however, the increase in effectiveness was not that great. Better than before but still not sufficient.

The next plan is to go for a mini light rack/ guard (made by one of our TBHP members) which sits neatly just above the number plate and is secured with the same two number plate bolts. It is also exactly the same size as the number plate so does not look awkward. I will either fit a CREE bar here (If I can find such an animal in Goa) or just go for Hella Comet fog lights with 55W bulbs and hope that does the trick as that's what is fitted on my SX4. Now the only issue is to find a space on the "curvy" Nano dashboard to fit the switch!!

Regards,
SS
Hi Guys,

So not being very happy with the Phillips Extreme Vision Plus, I finally got the light stand from Prad and on the recommendation of the accessories guy, I fitted Super Sport auxiliary lights with 60W bulbs.
These were fitted with a relay and I managed to find a spot on the Nano dash where I fitted a small press button switch with indicator.
Tried these lights out for a couple of nights but found them to be just OK. Nothing great. So, back to the accessories shop where I upgraded the bulbs to 100W each. Definitely an improvement now but still not totally satisfied.
Two days ago after another close call with a dark coloured bull sitting in the middle of an unlit wet road, I was back again at another accessory shop.
When I explained my problems with the 90/100W bulbs in the past he said it was possible that I had got a "duplicate" relay and to give him a chance as he was the authorised dealer in Goa for "Phillips".
Anyway, fitted the Phillips relay with 90/100W bulbs and finally, finally I am happy with the light output. Crisp beam and excellent lighting.
It looks like either the previous relay was a "duplicate" or as someone on this thread suggested - the earthing was not proper.

This whole exercise has cost me in the region of Rs. 12,000.00 and I have now have 2 sets of Phillip's Extreme Vision sitting in the boot of the car but it's worth it. I can now drive with confidence at night and if I am blinded by oncoming traffic, a quick flick of the spotlights or the headlights to main beam soon makes them dip their lights.

Regards,
SS
Old 4th October 2017, 20:09   #10746
BHPian

hi

Wanted suggestion to replace the LED headlights in the new elantra

i dont find the hid lights bright enough
Old 5th October 2017, 11:30   #10747
BHPian

Hi. Is this plug and play type and can fit in any car?
Old 5th October 2017, 11:51   #10748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kishen.padiyar View Post
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01I3GKGN8..._8pmhBJeornshf

This link is for the H7 type. Cost $56 approx. 40W and 4800 lumens per bulb is the rating.
Thanks. Is it a direct fit for H7 type socket. Do share more details on fitment process.
Old 5th October 2017, 14:50   #10749
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Thanks. Is it a direct fit for H7 type socket. Do share more details on fitment process.
Yes, it is a direct fit in the H7 socket. No wiring harness / splicing needed. The only alteration you would need is that you need to drill a hole in the rubber caps (plastic in some cars) that is used to seal the headlamps from dust and moisture. The reason for that is there are 4 flat strips that extend from the rear of the bulb. These strips are for heat dissipation and need to be outside headlamp unit for better heat exchange. Better the cooling, greater the life of the LEDs.

I have attached a picture for your reference. There are a few LEDs that have a embedded cooling fan with fins. They are much safer bet than these strips for cooling but it depends on how much space we have behind the headlamp to accommodate the unit. In my case there is not much room so stuck to the strips.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-bulb.jpg  

Kishen.padiyar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 07:26   #10750
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

So not being very happy with the Phillips Extreme Vision Plus, I finally got the light stand from Prad and on the recommendation of the accessories guy, I fitted Super Sport auxiliary lights with 60W bulbs.
These were fitted with a relay and I managed to find a spot on the Nano dash where I fitted a small press button switch with indicator.
Tried these lights out for a couple of nights but found them to be just OK. Nothing great. So, back to the accessories shop where I upgraded the bulbs to 100W each. Definitely an improvement now but still not totally satisfied.
Two days ago after another close call with a dark coloured bull sitting in the middle of an unlit wet road, I was back again at another accessory shop.
When I explained my problems with the 90/100W bulbs in the past he said it was possible that I had got a "duplicate" relay and to give him a chance as he was the authorised dealer in Goa for "Phillips".
Anyway, fitted the Phillips relay with 90/100W bulbs and finally, finally I am happy with the light output. Crisp beam and excellent lighting.
It looks like either the previous relay was a "duplicate" or as someone on this thread suggested - the earthing was not proper.

This whole exercise has cost me in the region of Rs. 12,000.00 and I have now have 2 sets of Phillip's Extreme Vision sitting in the boot of the car but it's worth it. I can now drive with confidence at night and if I am blinded by oncoming traffic, a quick flick of the spotlights or the headlights to main beam soon makes them dip their lights.

Regards,
SS
Brilliant! Now if you can share the prices for present setup that made you happy then I'm willing to pay you some royalty
Old 7th October 2017, 01:08   #10751
BHPian

Quote:
fitted the Phillips relay with 90/100W bulbs and finally, finally I am happy with the light output. Crisp beam and excellent lighting.
Happy to know that you have found a solution to your problem at last.

100/90 Philips Rally bulbs with Philips Relay & Wiring kit has been my trusted workhorse for almost 7 years now.I have never felt the need to further upgrade.

Still, the only reason I have added a pair of 42W LED Auxiliary lights is partly because of the same reason that you mentioned- to make those stubborn idiots dip their high beams,who wouldn't otherwise dip with a normal flashing of my high beam at them.
And it has never failed in that.Not even once.

I never use these LED bars inside the city or on two lane high ways.
The light is so intense and powerful that you can't use it on single carriageways without disturbing the oncoming traffic.

The above 2 mods have pretty much solved all my light woes, without costing me a bomb.

By the way, check the ground connection of the wiring kit once in a while for rust/dirt etc which causes weak/improper contact and may cause gradual dimming of the lights.
Old 7th October 2017, 09:43   #10752
Distinguished - BHPian

I'm looking for high beam LED bulbs for my Corolla Altis that takes 9005/HB3 type of bulbs mostly used in twin reflector D1 Jap cars including the Corolla, Honda Civic and may be the Mitsubishi Cedia.

Any pointers where I could purchase a set manufactured by well known companies like Philips, Sylvania, etc? Not interested in Chinese kits.
Old 7th October 2017, 09:59   #10753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I'm looking for high beam LED bulbs for my Corolla Altis that takes 9005/HB3 type of bulbs mostly used in twin reflector D1 Jap cars including the Corolla, Honda Civic and may be the Mitsubishi Cedia.

Any pointers where I could purchase a set manufactured by well known companies like Philips, Sylvania, etc? Not interested in Chinese kits.
These are available on Amazon. Go for the Night breaker version from Osram which has a higher light output.
Osram HB3 P9005 Night Breaker Unlimited Duo Box (12V, 60W) https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00FQ8ANVC/..._oFf2zbGD2W7W4
Old 7th October 2017, 10:20   #10754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
Happy to know that you have found a solution to your problem at last.

100/90 Philips Rally bulbs with Philips Relay & Wiring kit has been my trusted workhorse for almost 7 years now.I have never felt the need to further upgrade.

By the way, check the ground connection of the wiring kit once in a while for rust/dirt etc which causes weak/improper contact and may cause gradual dimming of the lights.
Thanks Vinod & Akshay380 for the support and advice.

The Phillip's relay cost :
Relay : 1070.00
Bulbs : 450.00
GST : 280.00
Total : 1780.00

Aux Lights : 5000.00 (SuperSport 1100 with relay + switch/wire + labour)
100W bulbs: 300.00
Light Stand : 2400.00 (Prad)
Total : 7700.00

G. Total : 9480.00

Phillip's Extreme Vision Bulbs : 2400.00 (Now lying Unused)

G. Total : 11,880.00

Regards,
SS
Old 7th October 2017, 11:46   #10755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
Still, the only reason I have added a pair of 42W LED Auxiliary lights is partly because of the same reason that you mentioned- to make those stubborn idiots dip their high beams,who wouldn't otherwise dip with a normal flashing of my high beam at them.
And it has never failed in that.Not even once.
Can you please share some photos?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks