Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2018, 10:47   #10906
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
The low beam bulbs of the 2014 Honda City are indeed H11s as specified in the owners manual.
I measured the size of the stock H11 Bulb from the spare bulbs that I had for the City and it is 2.5 inch in length including the base. The LASFit guys responded to my query saying the LED Bulb they have is 3 inches long. Any idea if 0.5 inch of extra length can be accommodated in the default headlight housing of the 2014 Honda City?
Old 9th February 2018, 13:50   #10907
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I measured the size of the stock H11 Bulb from the spare bulbs that I had for the City and it is 2.5 inch in length including the base. The LASFit guys responded to my query saying the LED Bulb they have is 3 inches long. Any idea if 0.5 inch of extra length can be accommodated in the default headlight housing of the 2014 Honda City?
As far as I think, there is enough clearance inside the headlight housing to accommodate 0.5 inches more.
However, do check the placement of the LED chips on the new bulbs, as a significant difference it their positioning when compared to the filament on halogen ones can cause them to not work efficiently in your reflector housing.
AShubrah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 23:38   #10908
BHPian

I recently acquired a new Ford Ecosport. It apparently comes with 65W H18 bulbs in the low beam projectors. They are an upgrade to standard H7 spec.

I am planning to go with 55W 4300K HID bulbs in the low beam and fog lamps.

Is this a good idea? How much improvement should I expect?

Which are the good places around Mira Road, Mumbai to do this job?
Old 11th February 2018, 01:45   #10909
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post
I am planning to go with 55W 4300K HID bulbs in the low beam and fog lamps.
Is this a good idea? How much improvement should I expect?
Since I don’t know anything about the quality of the projector used on the low beam for the new EcoSport, I’d suggest you to go for a 35W 4300K HID kit than a 55W equivalent because the latter might damage the projector due to the increased amount of heat that it produces.
The light output will easily increase by tenfolds, so I highly advise you to go forward with the upgrade.
Also, the new EcoSport has its fog lamps mounted very close to the headlights, so I’d advise against getting HIDs on the same, as it’ll cause a LOT of glare to the oncoming traffic.

Last edited by AShubrah : 11th February 2018 at 01:55.
Old 11th February 2018, 07:34   #10910
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Since I don't know anything about the quality of the projector used on the low beam for the new EcoSport, I'd suggest you to go for a 35W 4300K HID kit than a 55W equivalent because the latter might damage the projector due to the increased amount of heat that it produces.
The light output will easily increase by tenfolds, so I highly advise you to go forward with the upgrade.
Also, the new EcoSport has its fog lamps mounted very close to the headlights, so I'd advise against getting HIDs on the same, as it'll cause a LOT of glare to the oncoming traffic.
This is technically not correct that a 55W HID will emit more heat. Yes definitely it will emit more heat than a 35W HID but far less than a 65W halogen bulb. Halogen bulbs have an efficiency of 20% which means it will emit light of around 18w and the balance 47W is emitted as heat. In case of HID the efficiency is as high as 50% and with led 60%. So a 55W HID will only emit 27W as heat (balance as light) and LED (40w) will emit only 15W as heat.
But managing this emitted heat is critical for LEDs as the chips cannot withstand high temperature (more than 150 celsius) and hence need a large heatsink. The halogens and the HIDs can easily withstand high temperature and hence don't need heatsinks.
In HIDs the main challenge is with the high initial starting pulse (23 KV) which is required to fire up the arc. All the surrounding parts need to be protected and high voltage resistant in this case.
Also another problem with cheap chinese HIDs is that they emit high UV which discolours the reflector and also the headlight plastic. In case of HID retrofits it is recommended only to go with reputed brands like Philips / Osram / Morimito.

Last edited by Aditya : 14th February 2018 at 15:15. Reason: Typo corrected
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2018, 16:50   #10911
BHPian

My 2014 Swift Zxi’s left lower beam konked off. It is Philips xtreme vision H4. Was planning to install HID kit. Will this one from Osram fit Swift zxi without any modifications to the electricals ?
Osram DH11 Xenon 6000K Eco HID Conversation Headlight Bulb Kit (12V, 35W)

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B071G58M59/..._VycGAbRZ0RGPR
Old 11th February 2018, 17:59   #10912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigadier View Post
My 2014 Swift Zxi's left lower beam konked off. It is Philips xtreme vision H4. Was planning to install HID kit. Will this one from Osram fit Swift zxi without any modifications to the electricals ?
Osram DH11 Xenon 6000K Eco HID Conversation Headlight Bulb Kit (12V, 35W)

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B071G58M59/..._VycGAbRZ0RGPR
No this is not the right one. This is for cars with H11 bulbs. You need a DH4 kit, but I would recommend getting it professionally installed and not trying a DIY. Also go for the 4200K variant and not the 6000K variant.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2018, 19:55   #10913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
This is technically not correct that a 55W HID will emit more heat. Yes definitely it will emit more heat than a 35W HID but far less than a 65W halogen bulb. Halogen bulbs have am efficacy of 20% which means it will emit light of around 18w and the balance 47W is emitted as heat. In case of HID the efficacy is as high as 50% and with led 60%. So a 55W HID will only emit 27W as heat (balance as light) and LED (40w) will emit only 15W as heat.
But managing this emitted heat is critical for LEDs as the chips cannot withstand high temperature (more than 150 celsius) and hence need a large heatsink. The halogens and the HIDs can easily withstand high temperature and hence don't need heatsinks.
In HIDs the main challenge is with the high initial starting pulse (23 KV) which is required to fire up the arc. All the surrounding parts need to be protected and high voltage resistant in this case.
Also another problem with cheap chinese HIDs is that they emit high UV which discolours the reflector and also the headlight plastic. In case of HID retrofits it is recommended only to go with reputed brands like Philips / Osram / Morimito.
I agree with you completely on the part that a 55W HID will emit lesser heat than the OEM halogen bulb due to the higher efficacy, sir, but I have personally seen the degradation of the low beam projectors of a Maruti Ciaz with a 55W HID kit installed within 9 months of night driving.
The entire headlight assembly had to be replaced & was then fitted with a 35W HID kit which has been going strong for well over 18 months now.
The only reason I advised against a 55W setup was because the low beam is used all the time during night driving and should be very reliable & trouble free.
There will be a very significant improvement in lighting with a 35W setup, and plus, I have seen a lot of light leakage when using a high wattage HID setup on OEM projectors as they’re not designed for the same.

Quote:
No this is not the right one. This is for cars with H11 bulbs. You need a DH4 kit, but I would recommend getting it professionally installed and not trying a DIY. Also go for the 4200K variant and not the 6000K variant.
But wouldn’t the HID kit cause an insane amount of glare to oncoming traffic when used in an H4 type reflector setup, sir?

Last edited by AShubrah : 11th February 2018 at 20:00.
Old 11th February 2018, 20:56   #10914
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I agree with you completely on the part that a 55W HID will emit lesser heat than the OEM halogen bulb due to the higher efficacy, sir, but I have personally seen the degradation of the low beam projectors of a Maruti Ciaz with a 55W HID kit installed within 9 months of night driving.
The entire headlight assembly had to be replaced & was then fitted with a 35W HID kit which has been going strong for well over 18 months now.
The only reason I advised against a 55W setup was because the low beam is used all the time during night driving and should be very reliable & trouble free.
There will be a very significant improvement in lighting with a 35W setup, and plus, I have seen a lot of light leakage when using a high wattage HID setup on OEM projectors as they're not designed for the same.

But wouldn't the HID kit cause an insane amount of glare to oncoming traffic when used in an H4 type reflector setup, sir?
The degradation you witnessed was probably because of bad quality bulbs generating UV , which damages plastics. Good bulbs from Philips or Osram will not have this effect. Actually there are no 55w bulbs made separately. It is the same 35W bulbs which are overdriven to 55W. This has two effects on the bulb. The lifetime reduces to half to around 1000 hrs instead of 2000hrs and also the Colour temperature becomes 1000k warmer (eg a 5500k bulb will generate 4500k light)
The Osram Dh4 has a shield to prevent direct glare but I don't recommend HIDs in reflector setups are they do cause tremendous glare to others. HIDs are best only with projectors.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 10:55   #10915
BHPian

Quote:
rease by tenfolds, so I highly advise you to go forward with the upgrade.
Also, the new EcoSport has its fog lamps mounted very close to the headlights, so I’d advise against getting HIDs on the same, as it’ll cause a LOT of glare to the oncoming traffic.
Quote:
In case of HID retrofits it is recommended only to go with reputed brands like Philips / Osram / Morimito.
Quote:
Quote:
The degradation you witnessed was probably because of bad quality bulbs generating UV , which damages plastics. Good bulbs from Philips or Osram will not have this effect. Actually there are no 55w bulbs made separately. It is the same 35W bulbs which are overdriven to 55W. This has two effects on the bulb. The lifetime reduces to half to around 1000 hrs instead of 2000hrs and also the Colour temperature becomes 1000k warmer (eg a 5500k bulb will generate 4500k light
Thanks everyone for the inputs. I will go with 35W 4300K HID. How are the kits from Xenonplanet? They are offering it at 5000 for a kit.

I have also shelved the plans to install the HID in the fog lamps. The fogs are almost at he level of the headlamps of a hatchback and will surely blind oncoming traffic.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-.jpg  

suku_patel_22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2018, 11:30   #10916
BHPian

Quote:
I will go with 35W 4300K HID. How are the kits from Xenonplanet? They are offering it at 5000 for a kit.
I’d advise you against going forward with Xenon Planet, as a lot of members on the forum have had terrible experiences with their products.
As mentioned earlier by Behemoth, should go for a kit from a reputed company like Osram, Morimoto, etc.
Old 12th February 2018, 12:31   #10917
BHPian

Quote:
I’d advise you against going forward with Xenon Planet, as a lot of members on the forum have had terrible experiences with their products.
As mentioned earlier by Behemoth, should go for a kit from a reputed company like Osram, Morimoto, etc.
Where can I source genuine Morimoto in Mumbai?
Is AVS Tuning a good bet? I've heard that they have loads of duplicates floating around.
Old 12th February 2018, 14:35   #10918
BHPian

Quote:
Where can I source genuine Morimoto in Mumbai?
Is AVS Tuning a good bet? I've heard that they have loads of duplicates floating around.
AVS Tuning is an authentic dealer for genuine Morimoto products as per their website.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-9972dddb41b24ac5a3f2145fdd5922dd.png  

Old 13th February 2018, 06:52   #10919
Distinguished - BHPian

In my Jeep Compass, I have upgraded the headlight bulbs (9005) to Philips HIR B1 from Amazon.com (US) - they costed around 53USD landed to me in India. It is fairly easy to do and takes around 30 min to do. To get access to the bulbs you have to open the wheel liners as shown.
The bulbs need to be clipped on the top tab slightly with a nail clipper to fit.
These bulbs are made in Germany and with the same power consumption of 65W generate 2350 Lumens against the stock 1600 lumens. The light is also slightly whiter at 3000K CCT instead of the stock 2700K.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20180211_143735.jpg  

Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2018, 08:12   #10920
BHPian

I have 2016 VW Vento 1.5 DSG Highline.
Planning to swap my head lamps all four (LH / RH low beam and high beam) headlamps with Philips X-treme Ultinon LED H7 (12985BWX2). This is not yet available in Amazon.in and what they have is 160% brighter and what I had mentioned is 200% brighter. Will check with authorised retailers in Bangalore for the former ones availability. Similarly will be using Philips LED for fog lamps and parking lamps.

So my question here is will there be any error codes if I swap to LED?
Had any one did that before?
Will there be an issue by VW on Warranty front?

Appreciate answers if any one knows this first hand.
Cheers!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks