Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2018, 11:55   #11011
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hi all, has anyone has any experience with Genome HID Projector lamps 5000k unit, the Hyundai dealer is quoting a price of 24K for my new i20. Has anyone used this set of HID kit for their Hyundai's. I'm interested in having HID kit, but skeptical with the brand and also the pricing especially from the dealer side. I'm also very skeptical to get it done from outsiders as well. Please throw some light on this.
Does it not violate the Warranty for the car as well.
An immediate response would be well appreciated.
Old 30th April 2018, 13:46   #11012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
Hi all, has anyone has any experience with Genome HID Projector lamps 5000k unit, the Hyundai dealer is quoting a price of 24K for my new i20.
I have used this unit for around 2 years in my verna. The unit is a decent mini h1 replica good enough for 35w ballasts. Cant handle any more power or heat.
Performance is nothing great. I found it decent in city and inadequate on the highway.
Is the hyundai dealer offering this at 24k ? ( i paid 16k 4 years ago and felt cheated afterwards. Not worth that much money :( ).
Do some more RnD. You will find better units at the same price or even lower.

You will void the warranty for the headlight unit. And also, during any insurance claims if this is not mentioned in the copy.
For claims related to any electrical/electronic unit, concerned people will point this out as the culprit to avoid the payoff just as a way of harassing you.
Old 30th April 2018, 15:18   #11013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar24 View Post
Hi all, has anyone has any experience with Genome HID Projector lamps 5000k unit, the Hyundai dealer is quoting a price of 24K for my new i20. Has anyone used this set of HID kit for their Hyundai's. I'm interested in having HID kit, but skeptical with the brand and also the pricing especially from the dealer side. I'm also very skeptical to get it done from outsiders as well. Please throw some light on this.
Does it not violate the Warranty for the car as well.
An immediate response would be well appreciated.
Hi,
I have also used this in my civic earlier, and they are no better than cheap chinese HID kits available at a fraction of the price. Look at better and cheaper alternatives.

If your i20 has a H4 bulb, then i suggest that you upgrade it with a higher wattage bulb.

Rgds
Old 30th April 2018, 22:04   #11014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchdoon View Post
Which relay is suggested to install Philips Rally 100/90W?
Any online reliable link is also welcome :-)

Need to upgrade the stock H4 bulbs in Eon to the above ones.
Hella is a good brand. I bought it in a brick and mortar shop after satisfying myself with quality and genuineness of the product.
Old 1st May 2018, 18:00   #11015
BHPian

Quote:
Need to upgrade the stock H4 bulbs in Eon to the above ones.
Hey catchdoon, Have you been able to do this change to high power bulbs? I am planning to do the same but am afraid of any meltdown this may cause due to increased heat.

Please do let me know how the setup behaves in your Eon.

Thanks.
Old 1st May 2018, 18:22   #11016
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayankm View Post
Hey catchdoon, Have you been able to do this change to high power bulbs? I am planning to do the same but am afraid of any meltdown this may cause due to increased heat.

Please do let me know how the setup behaves in your Eon.

Thanks.
Sure will do let you know!
Old 4th May 2018, 00:18   #11017
BHPian

Folks in Bangalore, can anyone let me know a good car electrician. I have moved my hids from my beat to the Duster and the stalk gets warm while using them ( in fog lamps) . Need to install a relay. Preferably near Electronic city/hsr
Old 4th May 2018, 10:39   #11018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Folks in Bangalore, can anyone let me know a good car electrician. I have moved my hids from my beat to the Duster and the stalk gets warm while using them ( in fog lamps) . Need to install a relay. Preferably near Electronic city/hsr
Call and Check if EDGE Accessories guys in HSR Layout can help out.
Details here: URL
Phone: +91 80505 05070
vsrivatsa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 13:13   #11019
BHPian

Philips Rally 100/90 & Philips Relay fitted in Eon.

So after a lot of consideration between Osram Nightbreaker & Philips X-tremevision-Plus-Halogen fellow BHPian "a4anurag" did come up with an unambiguous option of Philips Rally 100/90 & after a couple of online results, that is what I got.

Fitting is not much of a big deal.
Putting in Relay was a 5 mins job. However, a hole had to be made in the cap of the headlight assembly in so that the relay sockets would pass to the assembly in the HL box.

Following images are rather Self-Explanatory:

1. Removing the stock H4 Bulb from the hood! Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20180505_122916.jpg

2. The relay has 2 Bulb sockets on either side & only one plug that goes into the power socket present in the head.Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20180505_125057.jpg

3. A hole had to be made in the cap of the HL assembly for letting the heads of the relay pass through. Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20180505_125430.jpg

4. Properly confined & tied.Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20180505_130540.jpg

5. The brown wire is grounded. Here you can see the cap fixed back into the HL assembly & relay wires passing through it.Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20180505_130137.jpg

6. It's as of now sealed with electrical insulator tapes to prevent the dust from entering.
Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 1255
Size:  1,008.6 KB

I'll however before the monsoons get it sealed properly.

I don't have the OE lights pictures captured but I think it's needless to have it here. These upgraded lights themselves do the talking in a loud manner.

7. LOW Beam
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20180505_203249.jpg

8. HIGH Beam
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20180505_203255.jpg
catchdoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 19:36   #11020
Senior - BHPian

Installed H4 LED headlamps in my 2009 i10 - details here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...-2009-i10.html
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 20:25   #11021
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Installed H4 LED headlamps in my 2009 i10 - details here:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...-2009-i10.html
I'd been tinkering with the headlight bulbs on my cars, and one thing I don't like doing is installing high-wattage halogens - so, no 90/100w, or even worse, 100/130w halogens. I've therefore restricted myself to 55/60w extra-bright halogens until now (Philips Xtreme Power 110%+ and 130%+, and Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited). In the quest for better illumination, I dcided to take the plunge and got myself a set each of the new Osram Nightbreaker Laser halogens, and the Minda UM3 LEDs.

Did a quick video comparison, and here's the result:

I now have the Osram NB Lasers on the Thar, and the Minda UM3 LEDs on the Scorpio, though I'd initially installed them the other way round - and there's a very quirky reason for it. The 'flash' mode on the Thar (pull the stalk towards oneself) turns on both 'high' and 'low' beams together - but the LEDs do not allow both beams to turn on at the same time, and I cannot use the 'flash' function. OTOH, the Scorpio's 'flash' function allows the low beam to turn off as the high beam comes on, and things work as they should. Instead of tinkering with the wiring on the Thar, it was easier to swap the bulbs themselves.

My impressions: The cost difference between the Lasers and the UM3s is high (about 4x), and there is no major benefit from the LEDs vis-a-vis the halogens. The LEDs have a higher quantum of scatter on both high and low beams, so edges of roads light up better, but OTOH the high beams are certainly far more disturbing to oncoming traffic, than the halogens, even with both high and low beams turned on together (I checked by walking away about 100 yards and asking someone to operate the lights).

I believe EU regulations also ban use of these 'plug-and-play' LED bulbs in most cases, but then there are no such regulations in India.

Last edited by SS-Traveller : 6th May 2018 at 20:26.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 20:42   #11022
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
I'd been tinkering with the headlight bulbs on my cars
On the same boat here w.r.t not willing on installing higher wattage halogens as I feel they inconvenience the oncoming traffic, especially if driving with high beams on.

I almost never drive with my high beams on, so that part is taken care of. If the scatter is too much, I shall surely take some corrective action.

As for cost, this pair cost me less than $20 USD, so basically these are for tinkering, and would have very less regrets if I have to remove them.
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 21:30   #11023
BHPian

Quote:
So after a lot of consideration between Osram Nightbreaker & Philips X-tremevision-Plus-Halogen fellow BHPian "a4anurag" did come up with an unambiguous option of Philips Rally 100/90 & after a couple of online results, that is what I got.
The main reason for not recommending 90/100 bulbs is the damage they do to the reflectors and headlamp glass/fibre.

It eventually turns yellow, reducing the light output.

The best way is to either go with Philips Xtreme Vision or something similar from Osram.

The other more expensive solution is to go for HID projector setup. Anything in between is just not worth it in my opinion.

I have seen multiple guys (including myself) replacing headlamps because they turned yellow.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2018, 21:40   #11024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post
The main reason for not recommending 90/100 bulbs is the damage they do to the reflectors and headlamp glass/fibre.

The best way is to either go with Philips Xtreme Vision or something similar from Osram.

The other more expensive solution is to go for HID projector setup. Anything in between is just not worth it in my opinion.

I have seen multiple guys (including myself) replacing headlamps because they turned yellow.
Can you share the pics where it turns yellow?

What did you exactly change when it turned yellow?
Old 6th May 2018, 21:57   #11025
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post

Guess i have been lucky (touchwood). I changed my 2012 i20's stock bulb to Philips 90/100 bulbs the day i got my car delivered. Its been 6 years now and there is no sign of damage to reflector or the outer glass. This is my second set of bulbs in 6 years and I am so satisfied with the light output that it never crossed my mind to try other brands.
Akib Khan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed