Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2018, 11:08   #11341
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjiRoss View Post
Unfortunately Powerbulbs has started charging 8.95 pounds for delivery to India which negates any price advantage or discount coupons.
Damn, that's steep I would say. Couple this with the price increase of the next gen Osram laser and it's almost creeping into locally purchased Ultinon territory.

I've been looking at a pair of these or something similar for a long time now for my City. Probably would go for the current gen laser if available in stock.
Old 20th November 2018, 11:45   #11342

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
Hi sir

The lights are doing great, they need additional adjustment which any installer can provide. Attaching throw photos.
Hey Bud,

I am thoroughly impressed with the bulbs! Looks like the LED work really well with the reflector setup. Could you please elaborate on the additional adjustment bit?

Since you have already upgraded the beams, i personally suggest picking up the automatic headlight switch module for the Polo.
I got mine even before my Polo was delivered and went ahead with the DIY on day 2.

Link - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Warr...837624671.html

The satisfaction of those beams deploying as soon as you unlock the car, Priceless!

Just a suggestion!

Cheers
Old 20th November 2018, 19:13   #11343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
@RedOne - I happened to watch the Headlight Revolution shootout sometime ago
They recommended this brand called GTR lighting for getting a good beam pattern. Of you are experimenting with LED swaps, check it out and let us know please.
Couldn't get the GTR bulbs but tried with another bulb which is best of the 3 types I tried. This is a regular CSP bulb from HLXG. Much smaller and compact compared of the other LED bulbs I tried and these supposedly use Phillips Lumiled's.

Packaging not as premium as the XHP50 bulb
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-led-v37.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-led-v35.jpg

Very compact compared to XHP50 so those who have space constraint can consider these
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-led-v36.jpg

Size comparison - CSP vs XHP50 vs Halogen. The diode position is quite close to the halogen filament. The dust ring is bigger in the LED and if I push the bulb forward, the focus improves. I will try swapping the ring with the halogen bulb's ring and try again.
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-led-v34.jpg

Low beam + High beam. CSP LED on the left, Halogen right. There is a decent hot spot comparable to Halogen, though there is some undesirable spread as well.
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-led-v31.jpg

Low + high beam - Only LED (Left). Best of the lot I have tried though still not as good as Halogen. I have angled the beam down so lot more light on the road.
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-led-v33.jpg

Low + high beam - Only Halogen (right)
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-led-v32.jpg
Old 20th November 2018, 20:50   #11344
Senior - BHPian

Folks, where are the alignment adjustment screws located in Xcent/Grand i10? I wish to tinker with alignment of my Event headlights
Old 20th November 2018, 23:53   #11345
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOne View Post

Low beam + High beam. CSP LED on the left, Halogen right. There is a decent hot spot comparable to Halogen, though there is some undesirable spread as well.
Attachment 1820522
ATTACH]
You may need to play with the LED's position in the holder to get that hotspot a bit smaller and produce a sharper cut off. looking at the pictures it seem to produce excessive glare as it is now , i hope you succeed in getting this adjusted properly.

I looked at the specs of what Philips is selling, the lumens rating is similar or less than halogen output. Probably something to do with ECE regulations. So anyone looking for more light has to rely on a bit of trial and error now. Good luck.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2018, 09:22   #11346
Distinguished - BHPian

Sometime back someone on this thread asked for better Polo headlights. I recently came across this supplier in Delhi who has Polo double barrel projector headlights. (I am not associated with him in any way.
People who are interested may please contact him directly.)
Old 26th November 2018, 16:02   #11347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMotionBrain View Post

Below is the link of the LEDs i was looking at on Aliexpress

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HLXG...30363727.html?

Awaiting your inputs.

Regards
Niel
Hi BlueMotionBrain,

I have recently ordered and installed these same set of LED from Aliexpress. I dont find the output very good but a relative improvement over the stock headlight.

I have these in low beam projector of my SUV but my high beam Philips XtremeVision seems to be giving more output.

Do your research before you buy this. You can refer to my thread to see how is the light throw like. BTW which car you plan to fit these ? I ordered and installed H7 type.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post4490624 (Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades)
amit_3306 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2018, 12:05   #11348

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_3306 View Post
Hi BlueMotionBrain,

I have recently ordered and installed these same set of LED from Aliexpress. I dont find the output very good but a relative improvement over the stock headlight.

I have these in low beam projector of my SUV but my high beam Philips XtremeVision seems to be giving more output.

Do your research before you buy this. You can refer to my thread to see how is the light throw like. BTW which car you plan to fit these ? I ordered and installed H7 type.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post4490624 (Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades)

Dear Amit,

Thanks for the inputs. I have purchased these LED for fog lamps and will be installing extreme ultinon in the low beams and normal ultinons in my high beam. I believe the Aliexpress LED will give a better output in fog lamps than stock ones. What do you think?

I am not really satisfied with VW's stock headlight or maybe my eye sight is just weak.
Old 12th December 2018, 10:12   #11349
BHPian

I had recently upgraded the low beams on EcoSport to HID(4300K, 35W, in stock projectors) and was contemplating upgrading the high beams to LED's.

I got a pair of Simeway H1 4300K 104W 12000LM XHP50 Chips LED bulbs in the 11.11 sale.

Link to product: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-...59724c4dAdYYkL

The bulbs do look premium and are very well made.
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20181211_153247.jpg

Parking lot, no lights
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20181212_094712_147.jpg

Halogen on right and LED on left. This and previous image are with same exposure settings
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20181212_094713_826.jpg

In a dark street
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20181211_210903.jpg

Last edited by suku_patel_22 : 12th December 2018 at 10:16.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2018, 14:05   #11350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMotionBrain View Post
Dear Amit,

Thanks for the inputs. I have purchased these LED for fog lamps and will be installing extreme ultinon in the low beams and normal ultinon in my high beam. I believe the Aliexpress LED will give a better output in fog lamps than stock ones.
I have not had experience of using Philips so cant really compare but i think Philips would be good as there might be some difference in the chip used. Philips being more genuine.

The ones I have purchased claims 12000 Lumens with Philips chip which i dont think is the fact.

Anyways please post some photos of Philips Ultinon output that way it will be an easy comparison.

Have you purchased CSP chip based LED for fogs ? I would love to see the output.
Old 12th December 2018, 15:10   #11351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post
I had recently upgraded the low beams on EcoSport to HID(4300K, 35W, in stock projectors) and was contemplating upgrading the high beams to LED's.

I got a pair of Simeway H1 4300K 104W 12000LM XHP50 Chips LED bulbs in the 11.11 sale.
spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.59724c4dAdYYkL[/url]
Those heatsinks at the back need to be spread out ideally. How are you managing them in the headlight assembly as i assume there would be very less space there.
Old 12th December 2018, 15:52   #11352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
Those heatsinks at the back need to be spread out ideally. How are you managing them in the headlight assembly as i assume there would be very less space there.
I've spread them out as much as possible in the cubby hole(what's that area called anyways) and put the dust cap on top.

Ecosport high beam is towards one side and fan based LED bulbs won't fit unless the headlamp is removed.

Being high beam, they will be used rarely. I don't think heat should be an issue for short usage spans.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2018, 13:30   #11353
BHPian

Can anyone suggest a VFM installer in Gurgaon who has experience in installing the threaded projectors by opening the headlights? I was thinking of ordering Hella type Bi-Xenon projectors but installing projectors alone by myself is a big and tiring task although on my bike i have done it previously and do already have the tools used for it. Will i find someone to do it in Under Rs 500?
Old 15th December 2018, 22:27   #11354
BHPian

After the HID fiasco (severe shadow problem), I upgraded my XUV projector bulbs to Philips Xtreme vision plus. But they too were OK and not that great. The only option that I could now think of was Auxiliary lights, and what better than 'Lightforce'. Here is my beast with the new toy - Let there be LIGHT!!!

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20181215_222540.jpg
sk7671 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 14:39   #11355

Quote:
Mr.Nobody
samkat1
suku_patel_22
devilwearsprada
amit_3306
A special thanks to the above mentioned gentlemen who helped me out with my queries and apprehensions. It is because of you all i managed to successfully perform a complete LED headlights upgrade i had planned.

For registered and non registered users, i am logging in all the details about the upgrades and i hope it is easily understandable & doable as well.

The upgrades in discussions were done at Bafna Cars FC Road Pune. (I am in no way associated with them) and the person who i was coordinating with was a fine gentleman who gave me 20% discount on the bulb sets. Their technician too handled the parts & fitting procedures very well and all the necessary tests were done before final fitting. I was earlier going for Extreme Ultinon bulbs but the representative at Bafna said Ultinons are very good too for city use and provide a very good illumination.

To begin with, below are the products i purchased before hand.

http:///bit.ly/2qMcO0Z - H8 Type LED (Lumileds with ZES Chip)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2PCS...20962208.html? - Parking Bulbs

Below bulbs were purchased at Bafna Cars

https://www.philips.co.in/c-p/11972U...headlight-bulb - 2 Pairs H7 bulb Type

All the parts ordered from Aliexpress came in 3 weeks time and were in perfect condition.

FITTING EXPERIENCE

I got in touch with Bafna cars and told them about my plan of upgrading my bulbs and on the first go, the person mentioned before said there might be a small hiccup about fitting these in but we will check and only then fit them into the car. I arrived at their shop on a sunny Saturday and we began the process at 3PM

The technician first took the bulbs and tested if they were working through my battery terminals and then proceeded towards removing the headlight assembly for fitting them in.

On first go, the retainer clips which came with the car did not entertain the new LED bulbs as the bulbs had to be unscrewed and screwed through these retainers. The retainers did not allow complete circuit closer at first due to which the technician modified the retainer clips one side and voila! the circuit was completed and we tested if the bulbs worked and then proceeded to fitting them into the headlights.

The same retainer modification exercise was repeated for all 4 H7 bulbs for the headlight's low & high beams.

We then proceeded to fit the H8 bulbs bought from APX into the fog assembly which was a cake walk.
The parking lights too slipped into place without any hassle.

THE VERDICT

The sheer aesthetic upgrades that came with these bulbs got my tongue all tied up. I was spellbound by the entire look it gave my Polo. Just amazing!

Time to test out the bulbs!

Another win for Philips ! These bulbs illuminated the tiniest of rocks and corners. and gave a consistent light throw on the road. I kept the low beam toggle at level 2 to make sure no glare was hurting the oncoming traffic.

BULB WISE THOUGHTS

Philips Ultinon LED - Bang for the buck! Comparing to Halogen light throw and road illumination pattern these bulbs have really changed the driving experience at night.

APX Lumileds fog lamp bulbs - Bang for the buck again! I personally feel the fog lamps are now doing their job in terms of illuminating corners because of the immense light throw these bulbs are offering. While i have no idea about how genuine these Lumileds or ZES chips used in the bulbs, I can assure you that they are working very well and also, there is no color difference between the Philips's light color. They both seem to blend in just perfectly well!

W5W parking bulbs - These new type of W5W bulbs came as surprise as there is a small projector like housing which kind of magnifies the light throw. it almost makes it look like the high beams are on when only the parking lights are functioning.

The Result

Thanking those fine gentlemen who guided me with this, below are the results and i will speak after you all have seen the images.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20181208_191410__01.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20181208_191556__02.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20181209_210551__01.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20181209_210605__02.jpg

The lights look absolutely amazing and definitely makes head turn as well!

As you can see, the color blend of the APX LEDs & Philips LEDs are 99.9% visibly blending.

The road illumination is much better than halogens & the corners too are well illuminated.

I have also installed the Auto headlight module from APX into my Polo which helps switch on and off headlights as per available natural light.

All in all, the entire upgrades all inclusively costed me Rs. 17,000 and i found it worth every penny.

Hope this helps

Best Regards
Niel
BlueMotionBrain is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks