Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 24th December 2018, 08:42   #11371
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
Would you mind sharing the price for these and where you got these from? Also how have these been fitted? Have they welded a beam to act as a cross member? Is there any vibration at idle? Did you have to get them focused or are they alright right out of the box?

TIA
This was done by car drift on Varthur (in front of the Govt. school near Palm meadows). Cost me 30K (with Lightforce relay). This has been welded as an H structure to a beam right in front of the radiator. There are very subtle vibrations during slow speeds. But on the highways and ghats, I didn't feel any and the visibility was amazing. I actually couldn't drive if these lights were turned off. That's how much value add they have brought to me.
sk7671 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 09:02   #11372
BHPian

Hi guys,

I have an urgent query and would be thankful for your feedback on this.

I installed IPHCAR Bi-Xenon waterproof fog projectors (3 inch dia) with 4300k bulbs and TC-X ballasts (both as given by the installer) on my 2017 Ecosport Titanium Diesel (Pre-Facelift) last week. The installation was done meticulously without splicing of OE wires and no issues stemmed there.

I loved the light output and was a happy man for a few days. When I planned for an outstation night drive and left the following evening; something odd happened.

I re-fueled at the usual pump and then went for tire inflation. My habit is to usually turn off the AC and let the blower run to avoid the heat blast to those guys inflating the tires. The HID was turned on and kept in low beam during this time.

When I switched on the AC again and the compressor kicked in, the HIDs simply died. I later diagnosed it to a blown fuse.

The Ecosport comes with H11 55w bulbs for the fog lamp circuit and a 15A fuse is used in the engine bay fuse box.

My query is this - Is the 15A fuse not sufficient for this 55w HID kit? Would a branded 35W kit (Osram DH11 4200k Eco-HID kit) work well without blowing the fuse again?

Amazon link for the Osram Product : https://www.amazon.in/Osram-Xenon-42...=osram+h11+hid

Has anyone used this Osram 35w kit? Is it safe to use?

I'm really spooked at the way the fuse just got blown for such a minor voltage fluctuation.

I do not want to risk my electrical warranty as my car still has another 3+ years of warranty intact.

Requesting your feedback on the same as it will help me decide on whether it is safe to run 35w Osram or revert to stock 55w halogens.

Thanks in Advance.

Cheers & Safe Driving
Old 28th December 2018, 09:42   #11373
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya-TJet View Post
Hi guys,

I have an urgent query and would be thankful for your feedback on this.

I installed IPHCAR Bi-Xenon waterproof fog projectors (3 inch dia) with 4300k bulbs and TC-X ballasts (both as given by the installer) on my 2017 Ecosport Titanium Diesel (Pre-Facelift) last week. The installation was done meticulously without splicing of OE wires and no issues stemmed there.

When I switched on the AC again and the compressor kicked in, the HIDs simply died. I later diagnosed it to a blown fuse.

The Ecosport comes with H11 55w bulbs for the fog lamp circuit and a 15A fuse is used in the engine bay fuse box.

My query is this - Is the 15A fuse not sufficient for this 55w HID kit? Would a branded 35W kit (Osram DH11 4200k Eco-HID kit) work well without blowing the fuse again?

Amazon link for the Osram Product : https://www.amazon.in/Osram-Xenon-4200K-Conversation-Headlight/dp/B071G58JZH/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1545967550&sr= 1-2&keywords=osram+h11+hid

Has anyone used this Osram 35w kit? Is it safe to use?

I'm really spooked at the way the fuse just got blown for such a minor voltage fluctuation.

I do not want to risk my electrical warranty as my car still has another 3+ years of warranty intact.

Requesting your feedback on the same as it will help me decide on whether it is safe to run 35w Osram or revert to stock 55w halogens.

Thanks in Advance.

Cheers & Safe Driving
Is it 15A fuse for each of the foglamp bulbs? 55W hid ballasts have a high starting current lasting for a second or so. It can be upto 10-12A, depending on the quality of the ballast. If the fuse is 15A combined it will definitely get blown. The only remedy is to go for a relay system to power the hids.

If it is 15A individual fuses you can go in for an asic chip canbus system like this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DMEX...260d4c4d6c7T2W

The 35W Osram kit can also be used directly if you have 15A individual fuses.
sridhar-v is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2018, 11:17   #11374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhar-v View Post
Is it 15A fuse for each of the foglamp bulbs? 55W hid ballasts have a high starting current lasting for a second or so. It can be upto 10-12A, depending on the quality of the ballast. If the fuse is 15A combined it will definitely get blown. The only remedy is to go for a relay system to power the hids.

If it is 15A individual fuses you can go in for an asic chip canbus system like this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DMEX...260d4c4d6c7T2W

The 35W Osram kit can also be used directly if you have 15A individual fuses.
Thank you for the quick clarification.

I have checked both the owners manual as well as the physical vehicle fuse box. There is only ONE 15A fuse as a common for both LH & RH front fog lamps (unlike headlamps, which have individual 15A fuses for LH & RH).

Since the vehicle is relatively new and under warranty; I do not want to risk my warranty by using a RELAY.

Hence I will revert to stock setup and run with so called "premium" halogen bulbs for the marginal improvements they offer.

Thank you once again.
Old 30th December 2018, 01:02   #11375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya-TJet View Post
Thank you for the quick clarification.

I have checked both the owners manual as well as the physical vehicle fuse box. There is only ONE 15A fuse as a common for both LH & RH front fog lamps (unlike headlamps, which have individual 15A fuses for LH & RH).

Since the vehicle is relatively new and under warranty; I do not want to risk my warranty by using a RELAY.

Hence I will revert to stock setup and run with so called "premium" halogen bulbs for the marginal improvements they offer.

Thank you once again.
The installer should have used a relay in the first place. Relay would have better protected all fuses and company wiring which is not designed for the load of a HID. Relay makes the HID system run independently from the car electricals. If you did not have issues in installing a hid kit then why fear warranty now?
Old 30th December 2018, 02:18   #11376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
The installer should have used a relay in the first place. Relay would have better protected all fuses and company wiring which is not designed for the load of a HID. Relay makes the HID system run independently from the car electricals. If you did not have issues in installing a hid kit then why fear warranty now?
I honestly did not know about the difference in current draw between halogen & HID to be so high. Since I have not researched deep enough on the topic before installation, I took the installer's word for the current draw.

As for your question on warranty - since the harnesses were not spliced in anyway or the battery was not tapped for any external loads; I figured that Ford won't do anything. But the moment I read Sridhar's reply on the use of a relay; I understood that a direct supply from the battery would be required for the relay; which will most certainly cause the Ford service guys to raise a hue & cry (have faced it once in the past during a Hella 3003 install) citing some reason or the other.

Hence my decision to revert to stock. Hope that clarifies your query.

Cheers & Drive Safe.
Old 2nd January 2019, 23:14   #11377
BHPian

Philips LED headlight bulbs generation 2 are available now.

The LED chips used are Lumileds Altilon, which are OEM grade lighting chips.

https://www.powerbulbs.com/us/produc...-bulbs-h4-twin

https://www.powerbulbs.com/us/produc...-bulbs-h7-twin
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-philips.jpg  

Old 3rd January 2019, 02:20   #11378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post

Wow, these are insanely expensive for LED bulbs considering my Gen1 are 7000 a pair!
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:41   #11379
Senior - BHPian

It has always been expensive in the US. The ultinons I got from there costs $180, whereas over here its priced at just half - at Rs. 7K. I fear these locally available ones may not be original, or they're tapping direct supplier from China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
Wow, these are insanely expensive for LED bulbs considering my Gen1 are 7000 a pair!
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:09   #11380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfbytecode View Post

Can we directly replace h4 bulbs with this?
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:26   #11381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
The generation 1 bulbs come in 2 variants. The Xtreme Ultinons, and Ultinons, which have lesser luminosity than the former.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Can we directly replace h4 bulbs with this?
Yes, they are direct replacements.
Old 3rd January 2019, 11:26   #11382
Distinguished - BHPian

The Philips Xtreme Ultinon bulbs are also available through Aliexpress at much better rates here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/gro..._6553895.1_0_0

Better to buy from Aliexpress that any other portal as they are generally very prompt and products are received in 3 weeks. Just make sure that you order with Aliexpress standard delivery method and not any other method like EMS or DHL. (My personal experience!)
Behemoth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2019, 21:48   #11383
BHPian

So i ordered a pair of H4 LEDs without doing much research. I should have ordered LEDs closest to the Philips and other similar design LEDs but hurried in ordering these. As expected the high beam output is especially not that good. However i would like to compare these with the Philips H4 design leds to see how much better are the Philips H4s. Any owner of the same H4 Ultinons by Philips in his car around Gurgaon who would like to compare for educational purposes?

Attached are a set of output pictures along with a pic of the bulb itself.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20190103_1917181209x1612.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20190103_1917091209x1612.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20181231_1854511209x1612.jpg  

Last edited by Mr. Nobody : 3rd January 2019 at 21:50.
Old 3rd January 2019, 22:26   #11384
BHPian

Hi guys,

I have another small query regarding the fog projectors in my ford ecosport.

What if I use the H11 halogen bulbs in the hid projector? Has anyone used such a setup?

Any inputs would be welcome. Am anyways going to try it on saturday; so i'm just wanting to know some pointers before my harmless experiment.
Old 8th January 2019, 02:12   #11385
BHPian

Guys, where can I source Osram NB Laser H7 for my Fiesta Classic, the ones available on Amazon are all h4, only NB unlimited is available in H7 socket type.

Most Viewed