Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2019, 10:08   #11416
BHPian

Fuidic Verna Headlight (Bulb) Upgrade

After a lot of searching through the Team BHP forums, I still couldn't find a concrete answer to my question for a Headlight upgrade to fit in my Hyundai Fludic Verna.

I currently have the 2013 SX model, which does not provide projectors. Let's be honest, the stock headlamps are awful. Now without spending too much, I wanted to upgrade the headlights (bulbs specifically) to help get better visibility on account of increase in drives between Mumbai and Pune in the nights. During the recent BHP meet, I did try to get advice from fellow BHPians regarding LED bulbs but not too sure. Would appreciate some advice between the following options:

1. Philips 12342XVP H4 X-treme Vision Plus Car Headlight Bulb (12V, 60/55W)
Link
- Cost: Rs. 1,400 for 2 bulbs
- No warranty
- Assuming durability based on brand name
- Amazon reviews show a good rating (4 stars amongst 500+ reviewers)
- Great light throw on low and high beam

2. Osram H4 P64193 Night Breaker Unlimited Duo Box (12V, 60/55W)
Link
- Cost: Rs. 1,200 for 2 bulbs
- Released in 2013
- 1 year warranty
- Amazon reviews show a decent rating (3.5 stars amongst 129 reviewers)
- Great throw of light on low beam only, no noticeable difference for high beam

3. Osram H4 Laser Night Breaker Duo Box 64193NBL-HCB Light (60/55W, 12V, 2 Bulbs)
Link
- Cost: Rs. 1,600 for 2 bulbs
- Released in 2016
- 2 year warranty
- Amazon reviews show a decent rating (3.5 stars amongst 275 reviewers)
- Great throw of light on low beam only, no noticeable difference for high beam

4. LED Bulb - please suggest options (though not a big fan of white lights without a projector setup. Looks amateurish and not sports car like)

My objective is to have a better light output, if the LEDs are far better, I'd go in for them, not too fussed.
Old 7th March 2019, 13:01   #11417
BHPian

Re: Fuidic Verna Headlight (Bulb) Upgrade

LEDs in reflectors are a hit or miss. Low beam will surely improve but high beam suffers in most LED bulbs. I have myself tried LED bulbs in reflectors but in my grand i10.

Frankly in all the halogen options there is very limited improvement (upto 10-20% only) in road lighting. These premium bulbs have a slightly whiter output thanks to the film on the bulbs which also make it easier on eyes and better to see roads and signs. I would go for the Philips X-treme Vision however there is not too much separating them.
Old 7th March 2019, 15:32   #11418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
LEDs in reflectors are a hit or miss. Low beam will surely improve but high beam suffers in most LED bulbs. I have myself tried LED bulbs in reflectors but in my grand i10.

Frankly in all the halogen options there is very limited improvement (upto 10-20% only) in road lighting. These premium bulbs have a slightly whiter output thanks to the film on the bulbs which also make it easier on eyes and better to see roads and signs. I would go for the Philips X-treme Vision however there is not too much separating them.
Cheers for the input, LEDs are out of the options for sure now. I'd prefer the Philips too, but just a bit tensed about no warranty!
Old 7th March 2019, 15:51   #11419
BHPian

Hi Akshay, unfortunately, for a reflector setup, there is barely gonna be any improvement regardless of what route you choose for changing the bulbs.

The only way you're gonna feel a significant improvement is by retrofitting a HID projector setup in your car with the help of a professional. Yes it will cost quite a bit, but it's gonna be worth it especially if you're gonna travel a lot at night. Otherwise, you'll just be wasting your time and options.

Check out Xenon planet or morimoto for more options. Hope this helps
CarLoverJosh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2019, 18:04   #11420
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay.Hemmady View Post
Cheers for the input, LEDs are out of the options for sure now. I'd prefer the Philips too, but just a bit tensed about no warranty!
Without a retrofit projector setup, I would give HIDs a miss as well given their scattered output.

IMHO, if the wattage is the same as the stock bulbs - the Phillips Xtreme halogen bulbs should last without any issue.
Old 8th March 2019, 11:42   #11421
BHPian

Quote:
After a lot of searching through the Team BHP forums, I still couldn't find a concrete answer to my question for a Headlight upgrade to fit in my Hyundai Fludic Verna.
There is not much to choose from between the stock bulb and the ones mentioned by you. All are 60W/55W and no drastic improvement can be expected from them. All these statements of 10% or 20% increase are just hog-wash.

You do get HID bulbs that are made for reflectors (D2R) but they are too expensive to experiment with. A pair of Morimoto bulbs and ballast might set you back by Rs. 12,000.

For improved light in your current set-up I would recommend to get a good 100W halogen bulb, a proper relay and find a good installer to install this. This might cost you Rs. 2,000 to Rs. 3,000.
BeantownThinker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2019, 12:12   #11422
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Anyone knows where to locally buy headlight butyl sealant that the companies use for sealing the glass to the body? I do not want a permanent sealant but the one which melts on heating like how the OEM uses. Online one can get for 400-600 Rs but shipping time is very high.
Old 15th March 2019, 09:55   #11423
BHPian

Quote:

I currently have the 2013 SX model, which does not provide projectors. Let's be honest, the stock headlamps are awful. Now without spending too much, I wanted to upgrade the headlights (bulbs specifically) to help get better visibility on account of increase in drives between Mumbai and Pune in the nights. During the recent BHP meet, I did try to get advice from fellow BHPians regarding LED bulbs but not too sure. Would appreciate some advice between the following options:

I have a 2014 SX model and let me tell you - the reflector headlamps are a joke on this car. My phone’s flashlight puts out more light.

Unfortunately, if you don’t want to spend much, you’ve already listed the options above.

IMHO, LED bulbs are pure garbage. All that lumen talk is marketing non-sense. (Notice how none of the OEM headlights come with an LED bulb, they have sealed LED Projectors).

I did go your route as well, but I finally ended up with :-

1) upgrading to factory projectors
2) retrofitting the factory halogen projectors with BiLed projectors

These are the only options you have if you want a massive improvement in the lighting.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 16th March 2019 at 12:21. Reason: Editing quoted post
Old 15th March 2019, 10:04   #11424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post

I did go your route as well, but I finally ended up with :-

1) upgrading to factory projectors

2) retrofitting the factory halogen projectors with BiLed projectors

These are the only options you have if you want a massive improvement in the lighting.
Thank you so much for that advice! Always good to hear an opinion from a fellow fluidic owner. I'd love to upgrade to the projectors too (available in the SX(O) variant), how'd you get hold of them and how much did it cost? Also is it a simple replacement or change of wiring?

For now I have put the Philips xtreme vision I think they are a decent improvement over the stock bulbs, nonetheless not a major upgrade on lighting as such

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 16th March 2019 at 12:20. Reason: Editing quoted post
Old 15th March 2019, 12:19   #11425
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you so much for that advice! Always good to hear an opinion from a fellow fluidic owner. I'd love to upgrade to the projectors too (available in the SX(O) variant), how'd you get hold of them and how much did it cost? Also is it a simple replacement or change of wiring?

For now I have put the Philips xtreme vision I think they are a decent improvement over the stock bulbs, nonetheless not a major upgrade on lighting as such

Here’s all the info you’d need:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ml#post3930123 (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here)
Old 15th March 2019, 13:06   #11426
Senior - BHPian

I recently upgraded the low beam bulb from the standard H7 55W to Philips Diamond Vision 5000K 55W in my Laura Ambiente. The whitish light seems to be ok and not exactly a major improvement over the stock setup.

Looking to change the headlight flasher / high beam also which is H1 to Diamond Vision. This is being done to more to improve the aesthetic appeal rather than functionality ( white light in a white car ).

P.S: The change was carried out at home DIY style.
Old 23rd March 2019, 00:55   #11427

Hi, I am planning to upgrade the headlights of my Creta(arriving in a week) and get the reflectors changed to a projector setup. I am still growing my interest in automobiles and have been trying to research on headlights. So before I ask my question, I would like to first see if what I've understood is right.

So there are 2 types of headlights, reflectors and projectors. Inside these, there are 3 types of lights i.e Halogen, Xenon(HID) and LED bulbs. Now we can have any type of combination by combining either of reflector/projector with Halogen/Xenon/LED.

Now, upon further research, I understood that the Xenon(White light) is not the best when it comes to fog and rains and halogens are much more effective at such times.

I am planning to add projectors and also install Fog lamps with LED DRL since the E+ variant doesn't come with one.

Taking the further points to notice and considering how bad the Mumbai rains get, I've thought of installing Halogen bulbs in the Fog lamps since I believe it's the most practical especially in the rains.

For headlights, I have thought of the following options.
  • Using the stock Halogen bulbs along with projectors
  • Use Xenon(HID) for low beam and halogens for high beam
  • Use only Xenon(HID) for both low beam and high beam

I believe option 3 is what Bi xenon setup means, I can be wrong though.

Which headlight setup should I go for? I'll be getting it fitted locally and I don't know yet which brand of projectors will they have. Upon my research, I have realised Morimoto is the best brand but I don't know if it will be available at the local shop.

Please feel free to correct me at any stage as I am really confused and trying my best to figure this out. I apologize if I have misunderstood something or have not been able to explain properly.

Thank you!
Old 23rd March 2019, 10:53   #11428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyboy8134 View Post
Hi, I am planning to upgrade the headlights of my Creta(arriving in a week) and get the reflectors changed to a projector setup. I am still growing my interest in automobiles and have been trying to research on headlights. So before I ask my question, I would like to first see if what I've understood is right.

So there are 2 types of headlights, reflectors and projectors. Inside these, there are 3 types of lights i.e Halogen, Xenon(HID) and LED bulbs. Now we can have any type of combination by combining either of reflector/projector with Halogen/Xenon/LED.
Yes you're right here. You have
- Halogen
- HID (High-Intensity Discharge a.k.a Xenon)
- LED

Combinations are possible, but from my understanding and experience,

1) Reflector Headlights (in India atleast) are best designed to work around the optics of a halogen bulb only. All the cars you get in India with reflector headlights have halogen bulbs only. Xenon/HID bulbs are too bright, throw a lot of glare and blind oncoming motorists. LED Bulbs (despite all their marketing hype), don't do well in reflectors.

2) Projector Headlights. These come either with Halogen bulbs/HID Bulbs/LED Chips. Note: OEMs don't use LED Bulbs in projectors, they use LED Projectors that have LED Chips inside of them. From popular opinion, HID (in HID Projectors) still remains king, but LED has caught up and IMHO, I find LED Projectors to be superior.

Quote:
Now, upon further research, I understood that the Xenon(White light) is not the best when it comes to fog and rains and halogens are much more effective at such times.
Depends on the colour temperature. Warm white bulbs (4200K) will provide the best performance irrespective of weather type. The more bluer you go, more bling, but less performance. My Bi-LED Projector works flawlessly in adverse weather conditions.

Quote:
I am planning to add projectors and also install Fog lamps with LED DRL since the E+ variant doesn't come with one.
You can get excellent HID/LED Projectors to retrofit into your existing headlights. Morimoto is the best when it comes to quality and support.

Quote:
Taking the further points to notice and considering how bad the Mumbai rains get, I've thought of installing Halogen bulbs in the Fog lamps since I believe it's the most practical especially in the rains.

For headlights, I have thought of the following options.
  • Using the stock Halogen bulbs along with projectors
  • Use Xenon(HID) for low beam and halogens for high beam
  • Use only Xenon(HID) for both low beam and high beam

I believe option 3 is what Bi xenon setup means, I can be wrong though.
You don't get aftermarket Halogen Projectors. So you're only option is installing aftermarket HID/LED Projectors. HID Projectors will take in an HID Bulb (D2S, D3S etc.).

If you're car presently has a single bulb for both low and high (which Im sure it does H4 bulb if i'm not wrong), second option is ruled out. Your car doesn't have a dedicated high beam for you to go separate low and high.

As mentioned above, option 3 is the only way to go.

Quote:
Which headlight setup should I go for? I'll be getting it fitted locally and I don't know yet which brand of projectors will they have. Upon my research, I have realised Morimoto is the best brand but I don't know if it will be available at the local shop.
Stick to a BiXenon/BiLED type projector. Undoubtedly, Morimoto is the best. The local guys will have chinese/taiwanese branded projectors. If you're getting a BiXenon Projector, make sure you get a good quality ballast/HID Bulbs.

Hope this helps.
drhoneycake is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2019, 14:51   #11429
BHPian

Hi, I own a 2015 Maruti Baleno Alpha with the HID headlamps. As cool as it looks and sounds on paper, the actual illumination provided in really dark sections of roads, is not satisfactory. Wanted to upgrade the lighting setup but didn't want to tamper with the OEM projector headlamps, so wanted to know of the most viable solution for replacement of the fog lamps. Have heard mixed reviews of the LED foglamp bulbs available,so would be great if someone can help me out.

P.S: Any other solution apart from changing the bulbs of the foglamp are also welcome.

Thanks in advance
Abhinav
Old 24th March 2019, 20:28   #11430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav_2502 View Post
Hi, I own a 2015 Maruti Baleno Alpha with the HID headlamps. As cool as it looks and sounds on paper, the actual illumination provided in really dark sections of roads, is not satisfactory.
If I'm not wrong, Baleno has 25w D8S bulbs. You could try looking for 35w D8S bulbs.

You could also opt for fog lamp projectors.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks