Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2019, 11:47   #11461
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hello Bhpians,

My uncle owns a Volkswagen Polo and he isn’t quite satisfied with the output of the stock headlights. Is there any way by which the Skoda Rapid headlights can be retrofitted to the Polo. Please share your views on the same.

Regards,
EK
Old 30th May 2019, 09:22   #11462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniyo View Post
Hi guys, I had a question for Headlamp upgrade. Nexon comes with projector headlamps but the bulbs are Halogen 55W, H7.
If I use a HID light with same 55W spec, so I need to use a relay or it's a simple plug and play. Any brand suggestion will also help.

Or should I move to 90W with relay and maintain halogen bulbs, only concern is warranty void. The car is just 500Km old
I may be very late in replying to this, but anyways:

My sister owns a Tiago which too has a dedicated High & Low beam setup. Had recently upgraded the bulbs. The stock setup comes with 55w H7 & H11s on Projector & reflector.

I have replaced the Osrams with Philips extreme Vision (130+). The results is significant. You can try Philips only on one side, to start off . I think right side will be easier to replace (only guessing- Tiago did). Will upload the pics for difference in Tiago's output shortly.

Since these will be plug & play with same wattage, no tension of warranty as well.

Saurabh
saurabh2711 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2019, 09:43   #11463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
I may be very late in replying to this, but anyways:
Thanks for the tip. Nope you are not late. I am yet to make up my mind. Will take a decision in June mostly
aniyo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2019, 09:25   #11464
BHPian

Recently updated my Sister's Tiago with Philips extreme visions 55W. SInce the wattage is same no relays or wire cuts required. Simple Plug & play.

The stock setup comes with Osram 55w.

The change is significant in terms of area that is illuminated and brightness. The setup required some adjustments to be made once the bulbs were in place. The re-alignment of the beams was done at TASS during the routine free service.

Here are the before & after pics :

Initial setup with stock/Osram55W
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20180518_193423.jpg

Final Setup : Philips EVs 55w in both Low & high beams
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20180518_193356.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20180518_194358.jpg  

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 31st May 2019 at 09:26.
Old 6th June 2019, 14:20   #11465
BHPian

Friends need a help.

I own a Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8V of 2011 (E140) model.

The vehicle has separate Lo and Hi Beam set-up.
Lo Beam is of D4R, this is a reflector lamp. Hi Beam is from HB3-9005. From the lamp I think this is NOT a projector set-up.

Planning to upgrade the Hi Beam to LED. Need the Gurus suggestion on the below.

1. Will LED lamp output is good in a non-projector set-up for Hi Beam?

2. Any good brands that can be considered (preferably from Aliexpress).

3. I am thinking of 5000K / 6000K lamp. Any suggestions on the Kelvin?

Last edited by vasanthjn : 6th June 2019 at 14:21. Reason: spacing
Old 6th June 2019, 21:18   #11466
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthjn View Post
Planning to upgrade the Hi Beam to LED. Need the Gurus suggestion on the below.

1. Will LED lamp output is good in a non-projector set-up for Hi Beam?

2. Any good brands that can be considered (preferably from Aliexpress).

3. I am thinking of 5000K / 6000K lamp. Any suggestions on the Kelvin?
The corolla has one of the best headlights in the business. Please don't mess it with LED's.

The high beam is really good as is and it's a good thing it is yellow cause it allows you see when driving in rains on the highways.

Moreover what is the point in changing high beam which you will not use much other than occasionally on highways.

You can get better low beam bulbs which will be slightly whiter and brighter. Don't bother with LED's in high beam at all.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th June 2019, 15:15   #11467
Senior - BHPian

Folks

Does anyone have the details of the wattages of LED headlights, LED brake lights and LED instrument panel lights as against the conventional halogen bulbs.
I need this information for both scooters (Activa, Dio) and Bikes.
Old 9th June 2019, 12:38   #11468

Here's my quandary. I really love my Octavia's auto-levelling BiXenon Projector lamps (the factory fitted ones in the 1.8TSI). I have just booked an Innova Crysta 2.8G (5 lakhs more for the Z just didn't feel worth it). But I'll really love to have the LED projector/clearance that the V and Z models have. Does anyone have an idea:
1. Can Toyota assist in factory-fitting or dealer-fit the LED projectors/clearance instead of the Halogen's?
2. If not, what are the options. I don't want to go in for HIDs due to the glare they give out to oncoming traffic, but I hear that other after market one's are unsafe due to their inability to auto-level / low intensity.

I read https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...va-crysta.html (Installed: LED Foglamps in the Toyota Innova Crysta) about the Philips H11, but the thread wasn't too forthcoming on the final verdict.

Happy Motoring!

Suggestions here will be very helpful.
Old 15th June 2019, 20:53   #11469
GRV
BHPian

Hi
Headlight of my c class (w 204) got broken. Only the plastic cover is broken, everything else is working fine.

After market product is not available easily. Someone told me that there are workshops that can custom build this plastic cover for the headlight.

Anyone in the know or experience of this kind of service, please let me know

regards
GRV
Old 15th June 2019, 21:28   #11470
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRV View Post
Hi
The headlight of my c class (w 204) got broken. Only the plastic cover is broken, everything else is working fine
Can you check this link and see if it is suitable for your needs?! LINK
Old 16th June 2019, 07:37   #11471
GRV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Can you check this link and see if it is suitable for your needs?! LINK
Thanks a ton. Yes, what is need is listed in aliexpress. I have never used aliexpress. Would you be kind enough to share with me how Aliexpress works ? Is there any customs duty to be paid ? your experience with quality of product ?

One more question: Options give for lamp is : Driver side, passenger side , a pair. I need passenger side. But Does India passenger side is same as passenger side mentioned in Ali express?

Regards

Last edited by GRV : 16th June 2019 at 07:47. Reason: Added one more query
Old 16th June 2019, 09:21   #11472
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRV View Post
Would you be kind enough to share with me how Aliexpress works ? Is there any customs duty to be paid ? your experience with quality of product ?

One more question: Options give for lamp is : Driver side, passenger side , a pair. I need passenger side. But Does India passenger side is same as passenger side mentioned in Ali express?
I've been shopping at AliExpress since long and have had to pay customs once for a dashcam. Weight, size and declared value of the parcel are deciding factors if it'll get caught at customs or not. No issues in terms of quality so far. Check the item & seller ratings + reviews in general before proceeding with the purchase.

I suggest, you choose the item you want, ping the seller and ask them to quote a low value during shipment. Send them images of what you're specifically looking for so no issues arise during delivery/unboxing.

Can you post an image of the current condition of the headlights?
Old 16th June 2019, 20:32   #11473

After owning S Cross Alpha facelift, I found the LED Headlamps to be not as bright as expected so I initially upgraded my Fog lamps with Philips Ultinon LED bulbs which improved my visibility in low beam.

The LED fogs spread the light on the road and beam as not focused as expected. This is when I came across Projectors with HIDs installed in Fog lamp. I strongly felt that Projectors does the job well when it comes to focusing the beam without blinding the traffic in opposite direction. But a Bixenon projector is not designed for LED bulbs and Bi-LED Projector cost is almost four times and not as bright as HIDs. I decided to go for Bixenon Projector with HID. Everyone knows that IPHCAR projectors are tried and tested ones, though sold with different names. Looking at the Youtube videos, the IPHCAR projectors really convinced me to go for them.

I inquired the price of IPHCAR projectors in Bangalore which came to around Rs 6,600/- with installation but it went out of stock at the same time. The only option left was to import from AliExpress. While looking for projectors, I came across with a distributor in Udaipur who was willing to ship me a pair of IPHCAR projectors for Rs 2950/-. The price quoted was very competitive indeed and I immediately placed an order.

Now, it was time to short-list compatible H11 HID bulbs. Since I wanted longevity and peace of mind with the bulbs, I decided to stick to branded HID kit like Osram and Philips. I didn’t find any option of Philips H11 HID bulb which made me look for Osram. Fortunately, Osram had Eco and Premium 35 Watt HIDs. The ECO version produces 160% more light and comes with 4 times more life as compared to standard halogen bulb and priced at Rs 5500/- in Amazon. The Premium version produces 200% more light and comes with 5 times more life. So, I decided to stick to Osram Premium 35-Watt HID kit which is completely plug and play. Coming to the color temperature now, there is two options available – Up to 4200 kelvin and up to 6000 kelvin. I opted for 6000 kelvins to compliment my headlamp LEDs.

Initially my intention was to configure only low beam but when I called the installer, I was told that by default it will always be on high beam and for low beam I need to enable the high/low control which will require slicing of factory wire. I didn’t want to cut or slice the factory wire as it can result in voiding the warranty of the vehicle. So only option left was to configure an external switch. Keeping this in mind, I ordered two switches – One from Amazon and another one is from Boodmo which the OEM Fog lamp switch for S Cross is.

So, the day came when I received my fog lamp projectors. From the physical inspection, I could make out that the shutter is half closed by default which means it must be default low beam.

INSTALLATION DAY:
Gaurav (S Cross Zeta owner) and I reached “The Drift” on Varthur Main Road in Bangalore where we planned the installation. First, it was Gaurav’s car to start with. The bumper screws were taken out and bumper was partially opened to have access to fog lamps. The fog lamp assembly was then replaced with IPHCAR Projectors and Osram HIDs. Gaurav ordered the Osram Eco version from Amazon while I purchased the Osram Premium version locally from “The Drift”. The installation and wiring took about 85 mins in Gaurav’s vehicle after which we went for a drive to check the light output. The low beam looked very bright and clear but couldn’t make out the high beam. We tested the high/low beam pattern found it just to be on high beam always no matter what.

Now it was time for installation in my car. While we were discussing with the installer it came to our mind that he might have installed the projectors upside down. We asked him to fix it in such a way that shutter is placed on bottom half. Tested high/low beams and found it exactly how it should be working. The installer said, the OEM Fog lamp switch ordered from Boodmo required an adapter and isn’t compatible for configuring high/low control but the one I received from Amazon was a perfect fit. He also installed a 15 Amps Fuse with the Switch.

ALIGNMENT:
A proper alignment results in a drastic improvement in light output. Alignment was done by placing a whiteboard at around 25 feet away from the way and driver seated. The fog lamp beam was aligned to focus few inches below the headlight low beam. Alignment can be bit tricky though but can be easily done following the ground rules.
  • Car should stand on a level road
  • It must be dark enough to view the level of beam
  • Driver must be seated
  • Car must be standing 7.6 meters away from the wall
  • The fog lamp beam must be focused couple of inches below the headlamp
  • Alignment must be done by opening bumper from sides to access the fog lamps
  • Use marking tapes and measuring tapes for accuracy
  • Compare the starting point of left-side and right-side beam
  • Take test drive post alignment and check for glare for driver on opposite direction. Beam shouldn’t be too low or too high.
Alignment took about 35 mins per projector.

FINAL TEST DRIVE:
With foglamps and HIDs on, the darker the roads get the better it gets. You may not notice the intensity of beam in well lit roads but when you get into darkness, the headlamps seem useless. However, the Alpha stock LEDs make the road brighter and whiter giving a wonderful view of everything without any dark spots.

Pros and Cons:
Pros – Great light output, Enhanced Visibility and looks, No glare to oncoming traffic unless in line of sight of beam.
Cons – HIDs heat up, May not be suitable for rainy drives.

Please find reference video to check the light output:

Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-1.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-2.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-3.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-4.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-5.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-6.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-7.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-8.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-9.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-10.jpg  

Nibir Mudai is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th June 2019, 06:13   #11474
BHPian

Hi bhpians, here is my query regarding Hyundai Creta, headlight bulb upgrade. I recently got myself a Creta SX O, though the headlights are better as compared to my previous car 2015 Ford Ecosport, it is still not upto mark.
The oem Sylvania HB3 9005 halogens, illuminate the road closer to the car quite well, but I am not satisfied with the distant focus. I have tried Philips Extreme vision,
https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B00NAZ...b_b_asin_image
But it did not make much difference.
I want to upgrade the bulbs, I know HID’s are a better option, but I don’t want to drill holes in the dust caps of the headlights, with wires etc dangling out of the headlights.
Are the LED’s from Philips and Osram, really worth the upgrade, and do they really make significant difference in night driving.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07QVK77FX/...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Osram LED’s are not available on amazon, but on Autotrends,
https://www.autotrends.in/2pcs-hb3-h...ick-start.html
Or should I go with the HID only, 4200k, but as i have already told that I am reluctant to drill holes in the dust cap. I think the attachments of the LED’s are smaller and can be accommodated within the headlights.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B071G58L1M/...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Please give your opinion.
Another thing, I was unable to find out the type of Foglight bulbs in the facelifted Creta, is it H8?
Old 18th June 2019, 09:20   #11475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsratta View Post
Hi bhpians, here is my query regarding Hyundai Creta, headlight bulb upgrade. I recently got myself a Creta SX O, though the headlights are better as compared to my previous car 2015 Ford Ecosport, it is still not upto mark.
The oem Sylvania HB3 9005 halogens, illuminate the road closer to the car quite well, but I am not satisfied with the distant focus. I have tried Philips Extreme vision,
https://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B00NAZ...b_b_asin_image
But it did not make much difference.
I want to upgrade the bulbs, I know HID’s are a better option, but I don’t want to drill holes in the dust caps of the headlights, with wires etc dangling out of the headlights.
Are the LED’s from Philips and Osram, really worth the upgrade, and do they really make significant difference in night driving.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07QVK77FX/...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Osram LED’s are not available on amazon, but on Autotrends,
https://www.autotrends.in/2pcs-hb3-h...ick-start.html
Another thing, I was unable to find out the type of Foglight bulbs in the facelifted Creta, is it H8?
The only worthwhile upgrade will be HIDs in 4200k / 4500k as Leds do not give proper beam focus and The other Extreme Halogen options are are barely any upgrade.
What I suggest is that you get some extra dust covers (you can source them from aliexpress easily) and keep those as backup in case you ever need to downgrade back to halogens. I also have 9005 Hb3 canbus bulbs in my Jeep Compass and upgraded them to HID myself. What you need to be careful is to apply some high temperature silicone sealant on the rubber grommet (which goes in the hole in the dust cover) - that ensures that no dust or moisture enters the headlight unit.
One of the best kits currently available from aliexpress is this, which has Hylux ballasts and Yeaky bulbs (order this with 9005 4500k option and take aliexpress standard shipping)
9005 HB3 9006 HB4 9012 HIR2 Fast Start Xenon HID Kit Hylux A2088 HID Ballast & Yeaky Xenon Bulb
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bM7DYjrK

The one I am using is this one (also from same supplier)
DMEX 12V AC 42W Fast Bright Fast Start Error Free Canbus HID Xenon Kit H1 H3 H7 H8 H9 H11 9005 9006 with Canbus HID Ballast
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bB45T3Xi

Last edited by Behemoth : 18th June 2019 at 09:37.
Behemoth is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed