Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th November 2019, 23:01   #11581
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownThinker View Post
For all Hyundai car owners who are looking to get on the HID bandwagon but are worried about voiding the warranty, you will be pleased to know that the Hyundai Service Centers are retailing OSRAM HID Kits 4200K and 6000K variants. I discovered this when I went to collect my car from service (Advaith Hyundai, Mission Road, Bangalore). They retail OSRAM and one other brand (don't recollect which one, but not one of the famous ones for sure).

The 4300K retails for about 10,500 and the 6000K retails for about 12,000. Have ordered the 4200K. Awaiting delivery.
I hope you got them installed. Was any wire spliced during the process? How is the performance and visibility under different conditions? OSRAM regional distributor seems to have made the right contacts inside Advaith, they're recommending it in Advaith KIA as well, for Seltos variants with halogens.
Old 9th November 2019, 01:56   #11582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Additionally what I have is a pair of Osram LEDriving Fog that I installed 2 years before and quite happy with the lighting, especially when driving in rains and visibility closer to the bumper area.
May I ask what settings of the headlight you used while driving in the rain?

To me, it seemed like you were using 'high beams' as well as the fog lights.

My point being that the 'high beams' should not be used in rain and fog conditions.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th November 2019 at 19:54. Reason: Spacing fixed. Video removed from quote.
Old 9th November 2019, 09:37   #11583
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by john doe View Post
My point being that the 'High beams' should not be used in rain and fog conditions.
Cross posting from another thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Rains or Fog, the biggest mistake I see most drivers make is to switch over to the highest available beams with a hope that they will be able get best visibility but that is not true at all. As you mention, no matter how powerful the light is, if you are not able to see what is right ahead of you at ground level, you are merely illuminating the rain drops or fog and nothing else!

I always drive on Low Beams when it is raining heavily and if need be, I also switch to high beams once in a while BUT I adjust the beam position (Headlamp leveller) to the lowest position.

You can notice in the previous page the video of driving in heavy rains at night with a basic headlamp set-up.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 10:36   #11584
Distinguished - BHPian

For those who are tinkering with their headlamps:

Please use the aiming chart for your car model if available at the dealership to correct the alignment and then go to an empty road at night, take pictures of the stock headlamp beam pattern from the driver seat and keep it as reference . It would help if the bulbs are new as well.

After making any changes to the stock setup like HID / LED please compare the beam patterns and see if things have improved.

In the stock beam pattern , look for beam spread, throw, shadow areas, hotspots , visible cut off will be present at xxx metres as well for all types of halogen lamps.

The modifications you make should clearly improve on this else, your night drives will become tiring and unsafe on highways. If there is glare, which happens if the cut off is not proper, people coming from the opposite side will respond with their high beams as well.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 11:00   #11585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dksv View Post
I hope you got them installed. Was any wire spliced during the process? How is the performance and visibility under different conditions? OSRAM regional distributor seems to have made the right contacts inside Advaith, they're recommending it in Advaith KIA as well, for Seltos variants with halogens.
No. I did not get them installed. Reason being, something that was to be done before this got delayed by the service center and I decided not to give them this business. I had got a different HID kit (Brand called P8) installed from an outside vendor earlier and they are functioning fine as of now. So next change will be once the existing kit fails.
BeantownThinker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 16:55   #11586
BHPian

Re: Comprehensive guide to LED Headlight upgrades

Hi Team,

I have recently purchased a used Ertiga (2017 - VDI SHVS). I have found that the low beams are completely useless. I need to have to use the high beam (which is sufficient in lighting) unnecessarily every time because of this.

Pardon my ignorance as I have no idea on how these work.

- Are there two separate set of lights/bulbs for high beam and low beam?
- If yes can I upgrade the low beams alone to led or to halogens which ever is advisable.

Thanks

Last edited by aah78 : 18th November 2019 at 19:55. Reason: Post moved to existing thread.
Old 18th November 2019, 19:28   #11587
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ411 View Post
Hi Team,

I have recently purchased a used Ertiga (2017 - VDI SHVS).
Congratulations.

Quote:
I have found that the low beams are completely useless. I need to have to use the high beam (which is sufficient in lighting) unnecessarily every time because of this.
Headlights of many Maruti vehicles desire a lot than what is the output.

Quote:
- Are there two separate set of lights/bulbs for high beam and low beam?
I guess in last generation Ertiga, there is a single H4 bulb powering both the beams. H4 has a separate filament for low beam and high beam in a single bulb.

Quote:
- If yes can I upgrade the low beams alone to led or to halogens which ever is advisable.

Thanks
Since there is a single bulb, you cannot upgrade low beams alone. Moreover, using a LED with reflector housing will throw lots of glare. What I would suggest is a simple upgrade to do. Pick up a good quality headlight relay of Hella or Philips and get it fixed. And change the bulb to 100/90W. This would solve almost all your issues. My Wagon R is running this setup since last 7 years.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th November 2019 at 19:55. Reason: Post moved to existing thread on request.
Old 18th November 2019, 20:39   #11588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Since there is a single bulb, you cannot upgrade low beams alone. Moreover, using a LED with reflector housing will throw lots of glare. What I would suggest is a simple upgrade to do. Pick up a good quality headlight relay of Hella or Philips and get it fixed. And change the bulb to 100/90W. This would solve almost all your issues. My Wagon R is running this setup since last 7 years.
Thanks a lot for the quick response and advise

I will stick with halogens and get one of those.
Old 18th November 2019, 21:55   #11589
Senior - BHPian

Planning to add extra outside lamps (Hella?) for my 2016 Ertiga. I have had enough with the OEM lights. Instead of adding extra relay circuitry I feel adding extra lamps on front bumper is a better choice. Does anybody know a good shop for getting it done in Bangalore? Also can those lamps be made theft proof?
Low beams are really useless for highways but I can use them only for Bangalore. High beam is fine but needs level adjuster setting to make is like low beam. Adding two extra lamps will help to have good light just in front of car and use high beams as high beams only for highways.
Old 19th November 2019, 16:11   #11590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
Planning to add extra outside lamps (Hella?) for my 2016 Ertiga. I have had enough with the OEM lights. Instead of adding extra relay circuitry I feel adding extra lamps on front bumper is a better choice. Does anybody know a good shop for getting it done in Bangalore? Also can those lamps be made theft proof?
Low beams are really useless for highways but I can use them only for Bangalore. High beam is fine but needs level adjuster setting to make is like low beam. Adding two extra lamps will help to have good light just in front of car and use high beams as high beams only for highways.
In my opinion, Aux lamps can never replace the functionality of the actual headlamps. At least in the city limits, you do need both short and long beam headlights - one, as a signal to the opposite traffic and the other when you are driving through the dark alleys - to have better visibility. As you rightly mentioned, you can't drive on the long beam all the time nor you can use the Aux lights within city limits (legally).

But yes, offroad and on highways, aux lamps are definitely useful. I used Hella 500FF which were economical and served the purpose on my old car. Although you can get all the bolts, etc.., they are sure not completely theft-proof - especially when you leave the car in a public space overnight. (I lost my lights in Pondicherry). I preferred FF series for the nice beam throw on the road for longer distance.

For solving your visibility problem, I still second the solution given above to replace the OEM with the higher rating bulbs - you can get branded ones here too like Philips Diamond Vision or Osram Night Braker types. Don't go for much higher wattage, it may spoil the headlight dome. Again, as suggested above, you must use an additional relay and cablng kit with ceramic end connectors/holders - should cost you around 1500.

That was the combination/solution I always used and with good results.

I bought all the above from JJ enterprises on JC Road. Here is the maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/UdnasqkR1EvX4wEv8

HTH!

Happy and safe driving.
kishoryk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 17:08   #11591
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishoryk View Post
I bought all the above from JJ enterprises on JC Road. Here is the maps link: https://goo.gl/maps/UdnasqkR1EvX4wEv8
As rightly pointed by you I do not intend to use aux lamps in city. But then instead of chaging OEM bulbs I prefer to keep them as it is and use the upper lower as before. No change there. Aux lamps are intended for only highways. I agree that extra wiring is needed for aux lamps and if that is easy it will be good overall. Surely the aux lamps when adjusted as lower beams will give much more light than OEM lower beams on highways and simultaneously OEM upper beams will serve their purpose. My highway runs are limited so I will prefer to go with aux lamps instead of having high wattage aka high heat lamps. I will check with those JJ folks.
Did they install aux lamps for you?

Last edited by rajivtelang : 19th November 2019 at 17:12.
Old 20th November 2019, 18:47   #11592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivtelang View Post
.. I will prefer to go with aux lamps instead of having high wattage aka high heat lamps. I will check with those JJ folks.
Did they install aux lamps for you?
Okay, makes sense I guess.
JJ guys fixed it for me. You could do the wiring your self but for the metal clamps and elbows required to hold the aux lights - even that you could get it done in any garage but it's better to get everything done at once place, test it and be sure that it works (it's more of a buy vs. build decision )
kishoryk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 01:42   #11593
sbm
BHPian

Hello guys.

I am planning to upgrade my Baleno 1.2 headlight bulbs. Projector/ HID upgrade is a no for me (due to both budget and availability reasons)so I am only left with two options
1. Change the bulbs to LED
2. Change to Osram NB/ Philips XV
If anyone has these installed these bulbs in their Baleno, please provide your feedback regarding light intensity, throw and reliability.
Old 24th November 2019, 16:53   #11594
BHPian

Urgent advice needed.
I was planning to change the stock headlamps in the Rapid's (2014) reflector units. Decided upon LEDs, but wanted to see if removing the stock bulb is as easy as shown in those youtube videos. It wasn't; in almost every other car in India, including the Rapid's cousin- the Vento, there exists this steel clip to hold the bulb in place. All one has to do is lift it up, twist the bulb clockwise and it pops out. Attaching pics.

Vento:
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-screenshot_20191124162039.jpg

Rapid: Can't seem to pull it out. Different kind of holder.
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20191124_152117.jpg

Instruction manual:
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20191124_162500.jpg
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_20191124_162525.jpg

Tried rotating the bulb, pulling it downward and out- but nothing works! Didn't try too hard in case the thing broke. What do they mean by "fold down"??
The one service centre that picked up didn't understand the query and asked us to see a local mechanic. If we were to change a fused bulb alone during a night drive, I don't think Skoda is going to receive any love from us with a bulb mechanism like this. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance. Tried contacting a relative who's in TAFE and he said he'd ask someone to contact us. He also said most mechanics/ASS wouldn't give out the tricks of the trade, for revenue.

Last edited by TheHelix0202 : 24th November 2019 at 17:05.
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2019, 17:18   #11595
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
Urgent advice needed.
I was planning to change the stock headlamps in the Rapid's (2014) reflector units. Decided upon LEDs, but wanted to see if removing the stock bulb is as easy as shown in those Youtube videos. It wasn't; in almost every other car in India, including the Rapid's cousin- the Vento, there exists this steel clip to hold the bulb in place. All one has to do is lift it up, twist the bulb clockwise and it pops out. Attaching pics.

Tried rotating the bulb, pulling it downward and out- but nothing works! Didn't try too hard in case the thing broke. What do they mean by "fold down"??
The steel clip exists only in Ventos with the single barrel headlight with H4 bulbs. I have a dual barrel one which houses 2 separate bulbs of H7 and I can confirm that the clip mechanism doesn't exist. In my model of Vento I had to put a lot of effort in rotating the bulb to remove it.

So, as your headlight doesn't have the clip, you have to apply force in the downward direction to detach the fixing lugs from the recess. And then you can remove it by pulling it back.

Trust me, those things are going to be really tight. I tried changing the bulbs of my Vento when it was few months old and it was a nightmare to do it. Yours seems to be older and so the bulbs will be fixed there tightly. You need some patience and it does take some effort. Don't worry as those metal parts are really hard. They won't break so easily. But do be careful of you're taking help of a screwdriver for application of pressure as that could damage things.

Good Luck
saisailendra is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks