Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2020, 22:09   #11791

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surya-TJet View Post
Hi, since you have mentioned Harrier - I will suggest you to look at fitting 3" Bi-Xenon projector headlamps in place of your fog lamps and use 55w 4300k HID. Kindly requesting you to look at this option. It will have no visual difference to the styling (people will see a small bulge of the lens when going close by). And aerodynamics are also not affected. You can run the high beam of the fog lamp with a separate switch mounted inside your dashboard. The whole setup will cost you under 15k (under 8k when done as a DIY by yourself).

Look at the light output of ONLY the fog lamps from these foglamps in my ecosport (I run a 35w 4300k HID) - 55w HIDs will be even brighter.
Thanks for this, but I have upgraded by fogs already to yellow and brighter bulbs which I need very frequently while driving on foggy highways around Delhi in winters. These were a savior on my last Jaisalmer trip in December. I might however explore replacing my stock HIDs (currently on low beam) by these bi-xenon projectors. Could you let me know the brand that your used? And did you find these online?
Old 12th July 2020, 06:34   #11792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonHead91 View Post
Thanks for this, but I have upgraded by fogs already to yellow and brighter bulbs which I need very frequently while driving on foggy highways around Delhi in winters. These were a savior on my last Jaisalmer trip in December. I might however explore replacing my stock HIDs (currently on low beam) by these bi-xenon projectors. Could you let me know the brand that your used? And did you find these online?
I will recommend not to touch the main headlamps. It will affect warranty as there are many interconnected systems in harrier with the headlamp (auto-on, etc).

Instead; use the 3" projector in fog lamp and go for 3000k HIDs. You will super bright yellow colour; which wilk be far superior in foggy weather compared to halogen. Also; with high beam functionality in the fog projector; you can drive even more confidently on the highways at night or early mornings when fog is at its' worst.

This is what 3000k HIDs look like in snowy conditions. Will be similar in fog as well.

Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-1594515884842.jpg  

Surya-TJet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 16:11   #11793
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,

Does anyone have a pre-march 2016 Vento fitted with Stronger whiter halogens? The stock bulbs are way too dim and don’t really help in city conditions. Could you please help me in deciding which bulbs to for (both high beam and low beam).

Thanks In Advance,
Akashdeep
Old 23rd July 2020, 23:16   #11794
BANNED

Hello,

Need experts advise.

I am having concers with Honda City 2015 iVTec model OEM lighting. it's poor.

Looking for HID Projector setup for Headlight.

So far I have upgraded my Fog lamps to iPHCar HID projectors and default ballast and bulbs from Blaze India.
Because of low level sedan setup though they improved to some extent still not satisfactory.
I even tried LED bulbs on OEM reflector Low beams. not having wow factor particularly distance throw.

So particularly looking for HID Projectors.

OEM in this model are H11 for Low and HB3 for High.

Looking at the headlight space and architecture, could you please suggest, Will Morimoto HID Projectors fit. challenges to consider if any?

For the 2014 models Honda City, from the search I observed most of the upgrades were done with complete headlight replacement using projector fitted and led lightning bars as complete replacement.

I believe Honda City before 2014 were with H4 hedlight setup which was having better options to upgrade in terms of space, fit.

In my setup Will Bi-Xenon Mornimoto D2S Projectors fit? or Mini H1 will be better saver?
Wiring connectors and adapters will server as plug and play. but all the challenge i see is fitting the projectors in the space as perfectly as possible.
Do we need to definitely cut or disturb the reflectors back side to plan these or any options to look at with out modifying them?

Basically I am thinking, if required provision to get back to OEM in future so looking for any possibilitites to plan with out cut.

Can we get only reflectors seperately to plan the alterations on the additional ones by keeping the original ones safe for reversal.

Apart from Morimoto any good options to consider which fits without alteration?

I also thought of getting good quality Bulbs for my iPHCar fog projectors to see if that bring things better but can't be compared with headlight projectors. so dropped.

I am intereted and planning DIY for this with proper plan and preparation.

So Please advise if any one already done, saw such option in your observation. this will be really helpful. thanking in advance.
VMRKarnati is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 08:06   #11795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_v12 View Post
Hey guys,

Does anyone have a pre-march 2016 Vento fitted with Stronger whiter halogens? The stock bulbs are way too dim and don’t really help in city conditions. Could you please help me in deciding which bulbs to for (both high beam and low beam).

Thanks In Advance,
Akashdeep
If you have a Vento with round fog lamps; you can go for custom fog lamps from The Automotive Lighting Experts. Their lighting setup is very neat, compact and performs really well.

See the screenshots from the video on their FB page.

If you have the double barrel headlights; I would suggest you to look at Philips Xtreme Vision+ G-Force bulbs. For both low & high beams. Far superior brightness than stock with same wattage and far better life than other such performance bulbs in the market.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-1595730822741.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-1595730833167.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-1595730846351.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-1595730856411.jpg  

Surya-TJet is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 09:16   #11796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRKarnati View Post
Hello,

Need experts advise.

I am having concers with Honda City 2015 iVTec model OEM lighting. it's poor.

Looking for HID Projector setup for Headlight.

OEM in this model are H11 for Low and HB3 for High.

Looking at the headlight space and architecture, could you please suggest, Will Morimoto HID Projectors fit. challenges to consider if any?

In my setup Will Bi-Xenon Mornimoto D2S Projectors fit? or Mini H1 will be better saver?
Hi, based on your query, I see that you need fit bi-xenon HID projectors in low beam space. This is possible by 2 methods:

1. Fixing using locking ring tool provided by the projector manufacturer
2. Using a custom mounting plate and fixing the projector using its' given mounting holes.

I will recommend the latter as it will lead to a stable fit. Locking ring will cause projector to start shaking after a few months; especially on rough roads. This will lead to beam alignment issues as well.

As for projector selection; you can go for D2S 4.0 or D2S 5.0 without any issues. Just use a smaller shroud. That should keep your projector in place without fouling.

Quote:
Wiring connectors and adapters will server as plug and play. but all the challenge i see is fitting the projectors in the space as perfectly as possible.
Do we need to definitely cut or disturb the reflectors back side to plan these or any options to look at with out modifying them?

Basically I am thinking, if required provision to get back to OEM in future so looking for any possibilitites to plan with out cut.
Wiring is not an issue. Most projector manufacturers supply the required harness; so it will be plug & play.

If you wish to get back to OEM; I would suggest not to touch your existing headlamp assembly. Instead get a pair of new headlamps in after market and go ahead with the retrofit on those. Reversing the projector setup will lead to some issues in fixing the stock halogen bulb and fogging / sealing issues etc.

Just be sure to modify your wiring suitably such that using passing flasher in daytime will not turn on the HIDs. This will ensure long life for your HID kit. This can be done by identifying the high beam pin and taking a wire from there to the projector shutter via the parking bulb. This will ensure that your projector shutter will not operate during daytime passing flasher usage.

Quote:
Can we get only reflectors seperately to plan the alterations on the additional ones by keeping the original ones safe for reversal.

Apart from Morimoto any good options to consider which fits without alteration?
You cannot use separate reflectors alone for low beam as the headlamp reflector is a single piece mould.

Apart from Morimoto; you can look at Hella G5-BRT as an option.

Quote:
I also thought of getting good quality Bulbs for my iPHCar fog projectors to see if that bring things better but can't be compared with headlight projectors. so dropped.

I am intereted and planning DIY for this with proper plan and preparation.

So Please advise if any one already done, saw such option in your observation. this will be really helpful. thanking in advance.
You can get Morimoto H11 bulbs (please choose H11A or H11B as per the socket orientation in your fog projector) along with 55w ballasts to improve the intensity of light output in your fog projectors.

While I haven't done DIY as such; refering to these basic ideas should help you figure out what to do further.

DM me if you have any further doubts; I can help you get in touch with a few friendly installers who will guide you on what to do for your DIY.

Cheers & Safe Driving
Surya-TJet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 21:59   #11797
BHPian

Seems like there a lot of lighting experts here. I'll really be grateful to anyone who can help me out. I'm currently restoring my 2012 VW Polo 1.2 MPI Comfortline to brand new levels. I'm struggling at lighting part because of my single module high-low H4 setup.

I looked into plug n play LEDs like Morimoto Stroke 2.0 which will work in my reflector setup. Cannot go with HID in a reflector setup

I looked into completely built units like these

Has anyone used this sort of complete headlight imported from Thailand? Looks good but can't seem to put my trust into it. If anyone has used this for a while, it'll be great to have a user review. Note that it only comes with a high beam, the low beam can be a full HID kit of my choice.

Can't seem to narrow down on one option to go for. I don't necessarily want a fancy setup but I want something that does the job in low beam and high beam I only use as "pass light" because Polo being my city car I hardly use high beams (though I want high beams to be noticeable enough for Delhi roads)

Please help!

Last edited by namanchaudhary : 30th July 2020 at 22:02.
namanchaudhary is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 22:53   #11798
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post
Seems like there a lot of lighting experts here. I'll really be grateful to anyone who can help me out. I'm currently restoring my 2012 VW Polo 1.2 MPI Comfortline to brand new levels. I'm struggling at lighting part because of my single module high-low

Please help!
For your Polo, you have plenty of good headlight options available in Delhi. There is a very good importer in Karol Bagh by the name of mxsmotorsport who you can connect with. They have good range of aftermarket headlights which will be a direct fit in your car. Their website is http://www.mxsmotosport.com/volkswagen/polo and they also have a youtube channel by the same name.
Since you are based at Delhi, you can probably head over to their place (if it is open currently inspite of covid) and check out the options there.

Last edited by Behemoth : 30th July 2020 at 22:55.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2020, 23:03   #11799
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
For your Polo, you have plenty of good headlight options available in Delhi. There is a very good importer in Karol Bagh by the name of mxsmotorsport who you can connect with. They have good range of aftermarket headlights which will be a direct fit in your car. Their website is http://www.mxsmotosport.com/volkswagen/polo and they also have a Youtube channel by the same name.
Since you are based at Delhi, you can probably head over to their place (if it is open currently inspite of covid) and check out the options there.
That's a nice coincidence. I actually had a word with them today only, the guy I talked to seemed pretty knowledgeable about things. In the aftermarket department he offered me this one

As I said this one only comes with a high beam so he's offering a complete projector HID kit from Tech Hardy as well. Overall they look pretty damn good, a lil better than the UU-type ones.

My questions are:-
1. Are these completely build headlights from mxsmotorsport reliable?
2. Choosing projector HID as low beam, is tech hardy a good brand to for because I always see people praising Morimoto in this forum?
Old 31st July 2020, 08:31   #11800
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namanchaudhary View Post
That's a nice coincidence.
My questions are:-
1. Are these completely build headlights from mxsmotorsport reliable?
2. Choosing projector HID as low beam, is tech hardy a good brand to for because I always see people praising Morimoto in this forum?
Though I don't have personal experience with these, I do have friends who have used them and they are running fine since the past two years, with no yellowing/ cracking or moisture ingress. I have also seen them being used extensively in Sri Lanka and they work quite well.
Hid is best for low beam (in dual barrel headlights) and halogen/leds for high beam.
Tech Hardy is a good brand and has a good reputation and products are good quality. They are comparable to Morimoto in quality.
Morimoto is the only other structured brand available now ever since Osram and Philips stopped their HID kits hence everyone is inclined to Morimoto.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 12:19   #11801

Hello,

Can someone help me identify what kind of bulb does the Skoda Laura tsi AMBIENTE have in the low beam projector? I am planning to upgrade from existing halogen to hid using the below Osram kit.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B071G58JZH/..._KIplFb7XKQADK

Would this kit be compatible for my car? Although Amazon shows it is compatible, I would like to confirm with the experts here if that is the case.

Appreciate your inputs.

Thank you!
Old 7th August 2020, 13:37   #11802
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritwikbhatt View Post
Hello,

Can someone help me identify what kind of bulb does the Skoda Laura tsi AMBIENTE have in the low beam projector? I am planning to upgrade from existing halogen to hid using the below Osram kit.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B071G58JZH/..._KIplFb7XKQADK

Would this kit be compatible for my car? Although Amazon shows it is compatible, I would like to confirm with the experts here if that is the case.

Appreciate your inputs.

Thank you!

The low beam projector headlights in the Skoda Laura use H7 type bulbs and these ones will not be compatible! You need DH7 type in the HID kit for the Low beam. The High beam bulbs are H11, but I don't recommend using HIDs in High beam at all as they take 6-8 seconds to start up and are not suitable.

I am also using HIDs in my Skoda Laura low beams, but I ordered them from Aliexpress and installed them myself. Installation in the Laura is very easy as the Headlight units can be taken out very easily and also the whole kit can fit inside the headlight itself you don't need to cut any holes.

This will be the correct one for you. (this is with 4200K CCT bulbs, which are better compared to 6500K bulbs)
http://www.amazon.in/Osram-AM0388500...omotive&sr=1-2

One tip which I can tell you for the installation is that you need to install the Bulbs upside down by bending the retainer clip a little bit, this will prevent ground wire shadow. If you install the Bulbs with the normal way, you will get ground wire shadow in the light beam. This I learnt by experimenting myself!
You can PM me if you need help when installing.

Last edited by Behemoth : 7th August 2020 at 13:45.
Behemoth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 16:21   #11803
BHPian

Hello,

Could someone guide about the replacement of low beam (HID) in 2012 Fortuner. Both the units are flickering and the service center has recommended a replacement costing Rs 14000 for each unit.

I did try searching about the topic but could not find a suitable post catering to this query.

Thanks
Old 7th August 2020, 17:49   #11804

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
The low beam projector headlights in the Skoda Laura use H7 type bulbs and these ones will not be compatible! You need DH7 type in the HID kit for the Low beam. The High beam bulbs are H11, but I don't recommend using HIDs in High beam at all as they take 6-8 seconds to start up and are not suitable.

I am also using HIDs in my Skoda Laura low beams, but I ordered them from Aliexpress and installed them myself. Installation in the Laura is very easy as the Headlight units can be taken out very easily and also the whole kit can fit inside the headlight itself you don't need to cut any holes.

This will be the correct one for you. (this is with 4200K CCT bulbs, which are better compared to 6500K bulbs)
http://www.amazon.in/Osram-AM0388500...omotive&sr=1-2

One tip which I can tell you for the installation is that you need to install the Bulbs upside down by bending the retainer clip a little bit, this will prevent ground wire shadow. If you install the Bulbs with the normal way, you will get ground wire shadow in the light beam. This I learnt by experimenting myself!
You can PM me if you need help when installing.
Hey Behemoth, thanks for clearing that up for me. I will check out the kit you have suggested. Unfortunately I am not able to send you a PM for some reason🤔
Old 7th August 2020, 18:08   #11805
BHPian

Can anyone please suggest where I can procure Philips Xtremevision plus bulbs at either Mangalore or Trivandrum.

It is available in Amazon but for once I want to buy it from brick and mortar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks