Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2020, 08:12   #11911
Senior - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellZee View Post
Any pointers would be great.
I somehow loved the stock headlights of the VCross. If you are serious on having a good range, nothing can beat the performance of a good pair of auxlights, a pair of Hella Rallye 3003 with 100W bulbs will take care of your requirements.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 17:23   #11912

Hi,

I have a Chevy Trailblazer. The stock headlight setup was until now barely adequate. It works well for the city just about okay for our long distance trips, but not anymore. Recently we friends went on our annual Goa trip and output was honestly too weak. I managed to ruin it a bit further by tinkering with the alignment. Somehow we made it back by using the fog lights and low beams coupled with high beam. High beam was dispersing too badly.

Coming to the setup, The Low beams are projector type and the High Beams are Reflector type. Both have stock OSRAM H1 12V 55 w halogens. I haven't personally checked the bulbs in the fog light. Even they are projector type. Research shows they should be H10. Have to upgrade the low and high beams both. Want to move away for Halogens.
Even after watching a lot of YouTube videos, I am yet to come up with a solution. Tentatively, these are my thoughts.

Upgrade the low beams to HID's. Contender is OSRAM XB D3S 5500 k (55W)

Upgrade the high beams to LED's. Haven't finalized anything. Alternatively for ease, can use OSRAM HID's again. ( 35w). I rarely use high beams, only for night highway drives. Do use it for flashing cause I dislike using the horn. Hence, thought LED's would be more apt.

Any advice/suggestions would be helpful. One of my friends is coming from Dubai by month end. Was thinking of asking him to get anything that I can’t reasonably procure here in Mumbai.

Would also request if someone can put me in touch with a great garage who can perfectly install and align the headlight. I love DIY's but would rather avoid in this case as I have already messed by the lights a bit. Live in Chembur and drive everyday to Navi Mumbai, so either place works.

P.S The headlight housing is in a reasonable condition with no yellowing. I even protect it (irregularly) by coating it with Turtle Wax Ice and Shine.
Sanjay Halikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 13:36   #11913
BHPian

Hello All

I own the Skoda Rapid Ambition Plus DSG from 2017. The headlight assembly has low beam projector and Hi-Beam Reflector type. They all use H7 bulbs (two per side total 4). My question is as below
1. How easy is to upgrade the stock bulb which really SUCK and useless to a Philips XV+ bulb without removing the entire headlight assembly
2. Are there any good H7 LED bulbs that you would recommend in a projector. In the past LED bulbs are NOT recommended in projectors since the light dispersal is really poor.

I would appreciate your responses as the stock bulbs in Skoda Rapid are really lousy.
GS-R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2020, 15:23   #11914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HentaiDesi View Post
Hello All

I own the Skoda Rapid Ambition Plus DSG from 2017. The headlight assembly has low beam projector and Hi-Beam Reflector type. They all use H7 bulbs (two per side total 4). My question is as below
1. How easy is to upgrade the stock bulb which really SUCK and useless to a Philips XV+ bulb without removing the entire headlight assembly
2. Are there any good H7 LED bulbs that you would recommend in a projector. In the past LED bulbs are NOT recommended in projectors since the light dispersal is really poor.

I would appreciate your responses as the stock bulbs in Skoda Rapid are really lousy.
Hi

After all permutations and combinations, this is the change I have done in my Ciaz. It has the same headlight assembly as your car, with H7 bulbs.
1. Low beam changed to OSRAM Night Breaker 55W. No change in power but better light output.
2. High beam changes OSRAM 80W 12V H7 bulbs purchased from Amazon.

After installing both bulbs, took the car to one of the experienced car electricians in my town. He adjusted them, and I’m satisfied now. No cuttings, no relay and definitely a lot better than stocks.

PS: I’m not a fan of white lights, and they’re not good in rains.
Old 12th November 2020, 19:51   #11915
Senior - BHPian

CHANGING / UPGRADING FROM H1 TO D2S PROJECTORS

Hello everyone,

I am currently using after market Bi-Xenon Projectors (from Xenon Planet) on my 2012 VW Polo 1.6 Petrol. The current set up and components are:

Headlights: Single barrel reflectors
Projectors: XP Mini H1 Bi-Xenon
Bulbs: Xp 55W H1 5000K
Ballasts: XP 55W
Harness: Morimoto Motocontrol H4

Over time, I have noticed that the intensity of light has decreased and I believe that this is due to the poor / mediocre quality of projectors and bulbs. I have decided to upgrade to Morimoto Projectors and Bulbs but contemplating whether I should stick to H1 or move to D2S. It is a matter of changing only the projectors, bulbs and ballasts.

My questions are:
1. What is the major difference between the H1 and D2S bulbs? Any advantage or disadvantage between the two?
2. I have read online that 55W bulbs tend to deteriorate the projectors faster than 35W. Is this true?
3. Anything else I need to keep in mind?

Please share your thoughts.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 13:11   #11916
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
CHANGING / UPGRADING FROM H1 TO D2S PROJECTORS

Over time, I have noticed that the intensity of light has decreased and I believe that this is due to the poor / mediocre quality of projectors and bulbs. I have decided to upgrade to Morimoto Projectors and Bulbs but contemplating whether I should stick to H1 or move to D2S. It is a matter of changing only the projectors, bulbs and ballasts.

Please share your thoughts.
First find what has deteriorated between the bulbs and the projectors. The 55 watt HIDs do burn out the lower quality projectors faster due to more heat. Even then they should last years. Most likely your projector reflector bowls have burnt out the reflective coating. You can just swap to newer and better built h1 projectors than buying a HID too again. The D2S projectors may need a lil more modification as the threaded base for bulb is thicker along with the projectors themselves. Advantages is you can use higher quality OEM grade bulbs that usually come in D2S. Output is largely similar in both types, slightly better in D2S.
Old 16th November 2020, 18:08   #11917
BHPian

I am looking for HID projectors for either my low beam or fog lamps of Skoda Rapid. Is there any good option in Bangalore? I saw Osram HIDs, which looked easy to install, but are there lot of post installation steps needed for right alignment?
Sidban85 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2020, 20:21   #11918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
First find what has deteriorated between the bulbs and the projectors. The 55 watt HIDs do burn out the lower quality projectors faster due to more heat. Even then they should last years. Most likely your projector reflector bowls have burnt out the reflective coating.
So I had purchased a brand new set of headlight housing when I got the retrofit done. The headlights are still as good as new with the reflective coating intact. I am pretty sure though that it is the quality of the projectors.
Old 17th November 2020, 09:58   #11919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
So I had purchased a brand new set of headlight housing when I got the retrofit done. The headlights are still as good as new with the reflective coating intact. I am pretty sure though that it is the quality of the projectors.
I meant the reflector bowls of the projectors have burnt out or faded. Once you install projectors the factory reflectors don't matter.
Old 17th November 2020, 13:02   #11920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
I meant the reflector bowls of the projectors have burnt out or faded. Once you install projectors the factory reflectors don't matter.
Oh I was wondering why the factory reflectors were coming to play here.

I am hence pretty sure that the issue is with the projectors and nothing else.
Old 22nd November 2020, 19:33   #11921
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep959 View Post
Hi

2. High beam changes OSRAM 80W 12V H7 bulbs purchased from Amazon.

..... No cuttings, no relay and definitely a lot better than stocks.
Stock high beam is 55W, isn't a relay required while upgrading to 80W?
Old 22nd November 2020, 21:56   #11922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Lucan View Post
Stock high beam is 55W, isn't a relay required while upgrading to 80W?
Nope, working fine without a relay. I checked with an electrician nearby, he said that modern day car electric cables are supporting higher wattages.
sandeep959 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2020, 19:25   #11923
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi folks, has anyone here sourced a twin relay H4 harness for negative switched lighting setups? I have a brand new pair of H4 LED headlamps but the car (Alto K10 facelift) has the stupid negative switched headlamp setup. (Why Maruti?) So while halogens work OK - the LEDs don't work. (They operate ONLY in high beam regardless of stock position.) So I need to fix this using relays for both the headlamps. I'm too bored to create the harness myself using 2 relays. There used to be such harnesses available in the past but in the Covid era they seem to have dried up in imports.

Anyone knows where I can source this online or in Pune/Mumbai? Thanks!

For sample - this is what I really want - Link : Amazon.in Product listing
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2020, 00:29   #11924
BHPian

Hi. Can someone please guide me with the bulb type used in the fog lamps of an Elite i20. I'm looking to upgrade the bulbs but can't find the type. Thanks.
Old 2nd December 2020, 07:32   #11925
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Any opinions on this sort of lighting setup with lasers? Looks insane from the videos.
I have been following the laser bulbs for over a year now.

I have messaged them, I will share the price if I get to hear from them.

I will wait for 6 more months to see the technology get popular and it's pricing stabilized before opting for it.

Last edited by moralfibre : 2nd December 2020 at 09:13. Reason: Removing embedded video from quoted post.

Most Viewed