Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2021, 17:32   #11971
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SU-30MKI View Post
Thanks. Wouldn't this void the warranty? The accessories dealer is claiming it wont, but I am skeptical as this involves connecting a ballast which I assume would mean a non plug and play operation. I have a SX 2019 model with halogen projectors and I have an extended warranty of 100K KM / 5Y and my car has done only 28K KM.
It would not void your warranty if you are not cutting/splicing any wires.

The entire setup is reversible. And yeah the dust cap is available as a spare for 100 bucks . In case you screw up you have a fall back option. Just order a couple of dustcaps as spare before you start the project
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 17:37   #11972
BHPian

Did some more research - found 2 links and I have to correct myself
This one explain in detail how the HID installation takes place - no wire cutting

This one is not so clear, but shows installation in Creta and also shows the drilled dust caps

I think I will go ahead with 4300K HID as it would give me yellowish white output. And I agree - this would not void the warranty. In case dealer would not agree and I will pull back my vehicle and replace it with stocks.

Thanks!

Last edited by SU-30MKI : 4th January 2021 at 17:40. Reason: spelling error
SU-30MKI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2021, 13:14   #11973
BHPian

Upgraded from 60/55W H4 factory fitted headlight bulbs to the following combination in my Ritz car today :

a) 100/90W OSRAM Rallye bulbs
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

b) Vaisnhu Relay & H4 wiring kit
https://www.amazon.in/VAISHNU-Wiring.../dp/B07TWMDHSR

I was initially thinking of going for Philips or Hella H4 Relay & Harness wiring kit but found this Vaishnu product on amazon. They seem to have all 4/5 review ratings which i was initially skeptical about and then I did some research about them. It is an indian manufacturer and they claim be manufacturing lighting related components for automative since 1971 mainly for heavy duty vehicles segment and now they are entering the consumer side of the things like car related components.

They claim to use 100% finolex cables (i could see the finolex marking on the cable), brass connections, and have bakelite H4 holders for bulbs which they claim to be world's best H4 holders. Philips, Hella etc have ceramic based H4 holders.

Any thoughts on bakelite vs ceramic based h4 holders from real world use case scenario in the cars ?

The first impressions of this bulb + wiring kit combination looks good and I can see good output on low and high beam (intensity and spread). Yet to test it on highways or dark road.

Has anyone used this Vaishnu H4 wiring kit ? Searched on the forum and I couldn't find anything. May be because they are new to this segment, or maybe no one has really used them, or may be they are not good etc.

Will update later on how it ages, overall performance after some usage.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-81g7fqqfqfl._sl1500_.jpg  

Old 10th January 2021, 22:41   #11974
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

Over the weekend, I browsed through the latest tech in headlights and found that recently, Morimoto 2 Stroke 3.0 have been launched and by reviews and details, they seem to be a massive upgrade over the existing version and perfect for replacement of stock halogens with new-gen LEDs.

Some links relating to the same:

Morimoto 2 Stroke 3 Official Page

In my opinion, they seem to be the perfect aftermarket replacement for stock lamps. The only concern could be their colour temperature(5500K) that might be a bit whitish considering out weather conditions.
sarav100 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 11:17   #11975
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viscosity View Post
b) Vaisnhu Relay & H4 wiring kit
https://www.amazon.in/VAISHNU-Wiring.../dp/B07TWMDHSR

I was initially thinking of going for Philips or Hella H4 Relay & Harness wiring kit but found this Vaishnu product on amazon. They seem to have all 4/5 review ratings which i was initially skeptical about and then I did some research about them.
Atleast 90 % private luxury buses on Indian roads either Vaishnu or PMP wiring with Hella bulbs, some of the Buses that come to our workshop have done 20 lakh km in 5.5 Years with everything original. This is specially true for those who have opted for the costlier Aluminum casing on the wires.

They are also suppliers for Railways and Army.

They have all commercial vehicle fittings in Glass instead of plastic which prevents aging and yellowing, and most established fleet owners and even state transports often make the change even in new vehicles.

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 12th January 2021 at 11:24.
Rahul Rao is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 11:45   #11976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Some of the Buses that come to our workshop have done 20 lakh km in 5.5 Years with everything original.
Woahhh!!!! I know taxis do around 5-6 Lakhs on an average of in 6 years, But this is an amazing number. Thats 30K kms in a month or thousand kms a day. To get to a number like that one should be doing Pune to Goa and return in a day or 3 times back and forth between Pune and Bombay; continuosly for 5 straight years.

Thats an astonishing number. I am more amazed on the ROI on those buses to the owners.
Old 12th January 2021, 15:59   #11977

Hello Everyone,

I have 2016 swift. The night drives were really problematic for me since I felt the stock headlamps were too inadequate (even with fog lamps turned on).

I discussed it with FNG guy and he installed Osram H4 100/90W bulbs with relay wiring. Results are extremely satisfactory and I get more than sufficient light even in low beam on highways. High beam is in different league altogether. I couldn't be happier.

However, I have few doubts/questions.

1. Will this affect battery life/engine performance when these lights are turned on?
2. Do they produce enough heat to melt the reflectors after continuous usage of say 5-6-7 hours?
3. Will it help solving above issues if I always drive in low beam? (As I do most of the time, unless high beam is absolutely needed)

Any other precaution I should take care? If this setup is absolutely not recommended, I can go back to stock setup.

I thought multiple times before upgrading but I had to simlpy because the stock setup was awfully inadequate, I used to feel like driving in darkness. I'd never cross 60-70 kph in night with that no matter how empty the road was.

Thanks in Advance
abhijeetd_swift is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 00:07   #11978
BHPian

Guys, I need urgent guidance since I will be traveling from Bangalore to Dehradun in 2-3 days. This is regarding a frequent issue in my Honda city zx 2006 model ( 105000km ODO ).
The headlight bulbs get fused very frequently. I have been using Phillips/Osram 100/90 with a hella wiring harness for a long time. Every couple of months one of the headlight bulbs fuses. I must have changed at least 9-10 bulbs in the past 1.5 years.
The latest issue cropped up today while returning from Trichy to Bangalore. I had to experiment with a 2 wheeler mechanic, who was the only one I could find, at 9 pm.

I have shown this issue to a couple of electricians, and all of them have blamed different components and changed them. I remember changing bulbs, holders, relay, and even the harness once.

Till now I have been ignoring this since it was the only issue in my car. However, as I plan to do a 2500 km drive, I cannot take it lightly anymore.
Can anyone suggest what's the issue?
Else can I show it to a good electrician in Bangalore?

Guys need your help, otherwise, I plan to carry several bulbs, learn how to change them from a nearby FNG, and keep on changing them during the journey.
Old 13th January 2021, 08:00   #11979
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderinNomad View Post
Guys, I need urgent guidance since I will be traveling from Bangalore to Dehradun in 2-3 days. This is regarding a frequent issue in my Honda city zx 2006 model ( 105000km ODO ).
Well the life of high wattage bulbs is anyway less (300 hours average) so you can expect to change them frequently anyway. However if it is sooner than this, it is probably due to the headlamp size and lack of ventilation in your headlights. More heat buildup in your headlights also causes quick failure of high wattage bulbs. Honestly the best option for you would be to get new aftermarket headlight units with projectors prefitted with HID. That will give you great light as well as long life. I would not recommend fitting HIDs in your reflector headlights though as that will cause lot of glare to others.
Second option is LED bulbs in H4 variant with 4200k CCT (I got mine from Aliexpress and they are really good), had shared the link a few pages back. These will work well in your existing headlights (if front plastic is not too scratched) . If it is badly scratched, I recommend changing the whole headlight units as above.

Last edited by Behemoth : 13th January 2021 at 08:29.
Old 13th January 2021, 08:49   #11980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Well the life of high wattage bulbs is anyway less (300 hours average) so you can expect to change them frequently anyway. However if it is sooner than this, it is probably due to the headlamp size and lack of ventilation in your headlights. More heat buildup in your headlights also causes quick failure of high wattage bulbs. Honestly the best option for you would be to get new aftermarket headlight units with projectors prefitted with HID. That will give you great light as well as long life. I would not recommend fitting HIDs in your reflector headlights though as that will cause lot pf glare to others.
Well, It's definitely less than 300 hours. I had changed a bulb just a few days back and it failed yesterday. HID's and other expensive options are not an option in a 15-year-old car. But if your hypothesis is true, I can remove the entire 100/90 setup and can try going back to 60/55 bulbs.
However, I have been using such a setup for the past 10 years and have faced this issue only in the past 2-3 years. I have a hunch that there is some problem with the wiring. This problem was shown to several local mechanics who have tried their hands on different solutions. I would actually like to know the root cause of this issue to solve it in one go.
Old 13th January 2021, 09:27   #11981
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetd_swift View Post
However, I have few doubts/questions.

1. Will this affect battery life/engine performance when these lights are turned on? -- NO
2. Do they produce enough heat to melt the reflectors after continuous usage of say 5-6-7 hours?-- NO
3. Will it help solving above issues if I always drive in low beam? (As I do most of the time, unless high beam is absolutely needed)

Thanks in Advance
I have the same setup on my SX4 for the last 2 years never faced any problems but for some reason the left headlight conks off (low beam), which I have replaced twice already. Other than that all good.
Old 13th January 2021, 10:28   #11982
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewper View Post
Woahhh!!!! I know taxis do around 5-6 Lakhs on an average of in 6 years, But this is an amazing number. Thats 30K kms in a month or thousand kms a day. To get to a number like that one should be doing Pune to Goa and return in a day or 3 times back and forth between Pune and Bombay; continuously for 5 straight years.
Of bus owners who are particular about maintenance there is a bus that comes from Nathdwar (RJ) to Pune (MH), 940 km reaching a parking lot next to our workshop at about 9.00 Am, they have contract with a garage whose 2 technicians do a full look over, and we have one technetium inspect the AC drive belts aux alternator thoroughly. Another team of 3 comes and cleans the bus, and puts fresh bed sheets and cushion covers, and the bus departs for Jodhpur (RJ) 20 Hrs and 1100km away at 1300, about the same time the bus from Jodhpur enters, and the same procedure is followed and it departs for Nathdwar(RJ) at 1700. Bus reaches owners own workshop there by 0900 AM, and starts back for Pune at 1700.
This is a 4 day cycle of 1100X2+940X2=4080km. This owner follows a 4 Yr 15 lakh km vehicle replacement cycle where he gets about 60% value as resale.
Only extra service is 3 month 90K km oil change instead of recommended 1 Lakh km, and the main is Air filter cleaning at every half trip (Just 1000 km) instead of recommended 20,000 km.
Most vehicles do the 15lakh km on original engine and have not even started consuming oil by then.
There is another set of 6 buses that do One Bangalore Pune and two Bangalore Mumbai trips.

ROI is not as good as you think due to overall occupancy around 60% (Below 40% now) poorer rates per km, component costs, extreme heavy annual road tax etc.

Break even is about 5 Yr 17.5 Lakh km after which residual value of vehicle - down payment is profit.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 18:02   #11983
BHPian

I own a Marazzo M6. It's headlights contains H7 /55 watts halogen projector for low beam and H7 / 55 watts traditional halogen bulb.

I am looking for changing these bulbs to LED bulbs in both low beam and high beam.

Any suggestions or advice?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 13th January 2021 at 20:12. Reason: typo
Old 13th January 2021, 18:27   #11984
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sukanta73 View Post
I own a Marazzo M6. It's headlights contains H7 /55 watts halogen projector for low beam and H7 / 55 watts traditional halogen bulb.

I am looking for changing these bulbs to LED bulbd in both low beam and high beam.

Any suggestions or advice?
i would recommend changing only the H7 Low beams (as these are projector lens based) with these LED H7 bulbs from Osram.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B08L93GX5K/..._z2U.Fb5C5KC8N

These are the latest design from Osram and have a very thin blade with less shadows.
When installing these in the headlight, make sure that the LED blade is Horizontal. That gives the best effect and proper distribution.

However, before ordering please check whether there is enough space inside to accommodate the bulbs.
Also these are 6000k CCT so a bit one the white side. Ideally 4200K is best, but you don't get them anywhere in India and imports from AliExpress are stopped now.

Last edited by Behemoth : 13th January 2021 at 18:38.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2021, 18:42   #11985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
i would recommend changing only the H7 Led Low beams (as these are projector lens based) with these LED H7 bulbs from Osram
Will it not be a very odd configuration i.e; Led (white) in low beam and yellow in high beam?

Or any other suggestions like HID or relay?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks