Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2021, 16:00   #12076
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
There are fake iph fog lamps in the market as well so watch out for those. Who's the dealer? Im getting iph + crystal eye for 8000 from dj's.
Got contact details of the seller from this video.

Also, they are available here for 7500.

Last edited by toroid : 26th June 2021 at 16:07.
toroid is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2021, 05:02   #12077
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toroid View Post
Got contact details of the seller from this video.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=Gk5H...ature=Youtu.be

Also, they are available here for 7500.
Ok yes, I've seen that video and tried contacting that seller but he doesn't reply so I didn't bother. Also, hotxar only gives warranty 9n the hid kit and not the projectors. Dj gives on projectors also so I guess the 500 extra is ok.

This is the only lighting mod left to do for me. My entire cars bulbs have been replaced with led's and there's not one incandescent bulb anywhere.

Last edited by straight6 : 27th June 2021 at 05:04.
Old 2nd July 2021, 21:51   #12078

Hi Folks,

I am looking to upgrade my 2011 Polo 1.6's headlights. It has a single barrel unit and somehow, I have suffered through its really poor output for all these years. Finally gave up after my daughter started making fun that her torch light does a better job!

Would like to upgrade to a pair of HIDs. What would be the recommendation in 2021? Seems like FE Retrofit and Morimoto are the most recommended. Any recommendations for a great vendor in Bengaluru who can get the job done + what models / specs of Morimoto / FE Retorfit should I check out would be really helpful.

Also, seeing quite a few ads for full headlights assemblies for the Polo but they are a little too flashy for my taste. Are these better (functionally) - Or would it be better to get my current headlight assembly modified to accommodate HIDs?

I did go through this really long thread but seems like automotive lighting has newer models being introduced every now and then and hence the request for the most recent recommendations!

Thanks!
kkashwin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 07:09   #12079
BHPian

I’m sorry if I missed the point, but why do BHPians recommend HID setup instead of LEDs while upgrading stock projector headlamps? Is it because is the oncoming traffic glare(in high beam only) or is there a different reason as well ?
Old 3rd July 2021, 08:58   #12080
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkashwin View Post
Hi Folks,

I am looking to upgrade my 2011 Polo 1.6's headlights. It has a single barrel unit and somehow, I have suffered through its really poor output for all these years. Finally gave up after my daughter started making fun that her torch light does a better job!

Would like to upgrade to a pair of HIDs. What would be the recommendation in 2021?
I wanted do something that elaborate in our Ameo but chickened out to avoid other issues. In my Figo, I wanted to try the HiDs and the projectors but stopped after I got a negative feedback from a bhpian stating that they faded after a few years. He had reverted to stock lamps.

I would suggest you to go for the slim hella led light bar, if not the aux lights. The hella led light bar is inconspicuous and appears bright enough.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 09:19   #12081
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkashwin View Post
Hi Folks,
Also, seeing quite a few ads for full headlights assemblies for the Polo but they are a little too flashy for my taste. Are these better (functionally) - Or would it be better to get my current headlight assembly modified to accommodate HIDs?

I did go through this really long thread but seems like automotive lighting has newer models being introduced every now and then and hence the request for the most recent recommendations!
Thanks!
I am assuming you have tried better halogen bulbs like 100/90W ones (with relays) and were not satisfied.

One member has installed LED bulbs on his dual barrel headlamp and he is happy with the output.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5089079 (From the first to last (possibly) iteration - My VW Polo 1.5L GT TDI)

Last, probably the best but expensive option is HID setup with projectors. I would suggest opting for retrofitting of projectors in your existing headlamp casing.

In Bangalore, Automotive Lighting Experts has good reviews. They have done similar upgrade on few Polos too. Check out their posts and user reviews on social media. Then you can visit their workshop, see their work and then talk to them.

Morimoto is supposed to be the best. I have been using FE Retrofit brand HID kit for a year now and I have no issues at all.

Do keep in mind that 55W kit is very powerful. While it illuminates the road very well, it will impact you too when it reflects off sign boards or vehicle in front of you. 35W kit might be sufficient if you don't do long highway trips regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarav100 View Post
I’m sorry if I missed the point, but why do BHPians recommend HID setup instead of LEDs while upgrading stock projector headlamps? Is it because is the oncoming traffic glare(in high beam only) or is there a different reason as well ?
Due to the design of the LED bulbs, the light source is concentrated in one corner of the bulb unit. Compare that with Halogen or HID, where light comes out in all directions of the cylindrical glass bulb.

Due to this limitation of LED, they require custom reflectors which can channel the light effectively. Without proper reflector, there won't be proper cut-off and oncoming traffic would see glare.

Last edited by ashis89 : 3rd July 2021 at 09:24.
ashis89 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 10:19   #12082
BANNED

Quote:
The HiDs are preferred for the following reasons.

1. Most of them warm up to their full brightness, almost as instantaneously like LEDs/Halogens.

2. Their technology had matured. They are more adapted to the required throw. With LED bulbs there is a huge margin of error and we will need to experiment often. Great as LEDs might be, their throw needs to be a lot better to be desirable.

3. Their heating issues are less pronounced with Hids. LEDs need a lot of cooling.

4. Their effectiveness goes down drastically when driving in rain. They are downright dangerous if one encounters dense fog. They dazzle the driver.

The advent of lasers will makr LEDs fade out soon.
COMMUTER is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2021, 16:36   #12083

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89;5093743
One member has installed LED bulbs on his dual barrel headlamp and he is happy with the output.

[url
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/211646-first-last-possibly-iteration-my-vw-polo-1-5l-gt-tdi-5.html#post5089079[/url]
Thanks for sharing the thread - a real treasure trove for a lot of upgrades!
I will reach out Automotive Lighting Experts and see what can be done.

Thanks!
Old 4th July 2021, 00:18   #12084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
CHANGING / UPGRADING FROM H1 TO D2S PROJECTORS

I have the same model although still with stock reflectors. Curious to know if you upgraded the projector setup to a new one on your polo? If so - what did you got with?

Can you please share?
Old 4th July 2021, 09:53   #12085
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post

Due to the design of the LED bulbs, the light source is concentrated in one corner of the bulb unit. Compare that with Halogen or HID, where light comes out in all directions of the cylindrical glass bulb.

Due to this limitation of LED, they require custom reflectors which can channel the light effectively. Without proper reflector, there won't be proper cut-off and oncoming traffic would see glare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
The HiDs are preferred for the following reasons.

1. Most of them warm up to their full brightness, almost as instantaneously like LEDs/Halogens.

2. Their technology had matured. They are more adapted to the required throw. With LED bulbs there is a huge margin of error and we will need to experiment often. Great as LEDs might be, their throw needs to be a lot better to be desirable.

3. Their heating issues are less pronounced with Hids. LEDs need a lot of cooling.

4. Their effectiveness goes down drastically when driving in rain. They are downright dangerous if one encounters dense fog. They dazzle the driver.

The advent of lasers will makr LEDs fade out soon.
Well, I had the same assumptions and visited installer to get HIDs installed in projectors but he recommended new generation LEDs which have significantly improved over the time as they do not have the above flaws anymore. Just fyi, he did have Osram 35 watt and aozoom 55 watts HID kit in stock. He mentioned the following points with regards to LEDs:

1. Beam pattern: LEDs have matured over time and no longer have misaligned beam/ glare issues if used as low beam.

2. Reliability: He gave ‘no questions asked’ 2 years warranty on LEDs, so I assume reliability must be quite high. Also, LEDs come as a single plug and play unit and do not face issues like ballast failure that are typical of HIDs. He had good amount of experience with HIDs to be honest.

3. Pass flasher: No HID kit can perform pass flasher functionality safely. There are times, especially on undivided highways where pass flasher becomes important.

I was of course not convinced with the same and still asked for HIDs. He asked me to go for a test drive and test the newly installed music system as well as the LEDs, which I agreed to. Well, there was so much more light that there was no going back after the drive. Stock halogen looked like candles in front of the new lighting. I tested the cutoff too and did not find any glare in low beam.

It’s been more than 3 months now and following are my observations:

1. Glare: I haven’t seen any glare related issues if only low beam is used in projectors. Of course it’s a different story if high beam + fog lamps are used. But I’ve been using low beams only for single/hilly roads, low beam + fog lamps for dual undivided roads and high beams for properly divided roads and it seems to be ok. The key here is to use lights as per need and not as per want. I’ll post the cutoff pictures in a few days to demonstrate the same.

2. Colour temperature: 6000K is fine for metallic and non metallic roads but fails drastically in rainy drives as well as on the freshly laid tar roads that are pitch black. I haven’t tested them in fog so far. The colour is fine for 80% of the applications but at the same time it is totally unsuitable for rest of 20% of scenarios.

Last edited by sarav100 : 4th July 2021 at 09:54. Reason: Formatting updated
sarav100 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 11:41   #12086
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
2. Reliability: He gave ‘no questions asked’ 2 years warranty on LEDs, so I assume reliability must be quite high. Also, LEDs come as a single plug and play unit and do not face issues like ballast failure that are typical of HIDs. He had good amount of experience with HIDs to be honest.

3. Pass flasher: No HID kit can perform pass flasher functionality safely. There are times, especially on undivided highways where pass flasher becomes important.
Happy to hear you have good experience with the LED in projectors. Please share some pics for everyone's knowledge.

Two major advantages would be reliability and ability of flashing the high beam spontaneously.

Quote:
2. Colour temperature: 6000K is fine for metallic and non metallic roads but fails drastically in rainy drives as well as on the freshly laid tar roads that are pitch black. I haven’t tested them in fog so far. The colour is fine for 80% of the applications but at the same time it is totally unsuitable for rest of 20% of scenarios.
Again, please share some pics of the LED performance on wet roads.

HID is no saint here. But it's miles ahead of the performance of stock halogen under similar condition. Another con of projectors is their performance is highly impacted by a dirty headlight, especially muck on a rainy day

Some pics of HID performance in wet roads
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-pxl_20201128_001757816.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-pxl_20201128_001944877.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-pxl_20201010_153207881.jpg
ashis89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th July 2021, 12:00   #12087
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A halogen bulb runs just fine in high temperature environment, a stock halogen projector therefore may not provide any cooling required for the LED which afterall is a semi conductor sitting on some sort of a relatively delicate board, not the best combination for replacing a halogen bulb, I do not think anything other than a halogen bulb should be placed in a projector designed for a Halogen bulb.

Imagine a 10 hour run in the night through places down south towards the coast , even night time ambient temperature is high. Reliability is key.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 01:10   #12088
Senior - BHPian

Query about two wheeler headlight:

The headlight of my Mahindra Duro always felt insufficient and not spread properly. When I ride in the dark, I see the light focussed more on one spot and not spread enough over an area.

Here is the comparison of the lights from the two scooties standing side by side. Let the pictures do the talking.

The pictures are taken after changing the headlight bulb of the Duro. This is 2011 model with stock reflector and lens. This lense has yellowed a bit but it has very few scratches compared to my Jupiter. I had restored it reasonably using polish paper and clear coat.

Request the experts to suggest remedies. I have already ordered a new headlamp assembly and it shall be fitted in 2 - 3 days.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img20210706wa0001.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img20210706wa0002.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img20210706wa0003.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img20210706wa0004.jpg  

Last edited by Rahul Bhalgat : 6th July 2021 at 01:12.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 10:14   #12089
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Request the experts to suggest remedies. I have already ordered a new headlamp assembly and it shall be fitted in 2 - 3 days.
The problem with DURO looks like a bad reflector design. Have you checked with other DURO's? Do they have a better/different throw of light?

TVS headlamps have one of the best reflector design in Indian market, resulting in a good spread and focus. I have observed this among all their scooters and bikes.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2021, 10:23   #12090
Distinguished - BHPian

That duro does seem to be a bad reflector. Is that how its been ever since you got it? If not, then you should check with another duro, maybe you need a new reflector itself.

And that Jupiter's low beam cut off is much too high. You might want to get it lowered to about window line on the car in front.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks