Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2022, 12:21   #12256
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_nemesis View Post
Other day I noticed the LED DRLs on a Tigor BS VI, and can't seem to get off my mind how nice they looked. I'm wondering if I can install the same LED DRLs on my Tiago.

Attachment 2250118
Tigor Fog Lamp with DRLs

Attachment 2250117
Tiago Fog Lamp

Has anyone here attempted to install the Tigor XZ+/XZA+ LED DRLs on the Tiago?

Obviously, will need to validate some items:
  1. If the necessary connectors are available with the Tiago wiring harness. If yes, it'll make that a simple plug and play job.
  2. If I can replace only the piano black part on the fog lamp assembly with the LED DRL or I'll need to replace the complete Fog lamp assembly.
  3. If it will be at a comparable cost with other aftermarket options.
Cross posting from the Tiago thread since this seems to be a more relevant thread. Any thoughts on this?
Old 5th January 2022, 10:26   #12257
Senior - BHPian

The 2021 Hyundai i20 has a H19 bulb, it's very similar to H4 but the base has two notches cut out. So H 4 doesn't fit.
Looking to upgrade with minimal alterations to the vehicle. So looking for 90/100 halogens, but not getting H19 in this range.
Any pointers or suggestions?
Old 6th January 2022, 18:51   #12258
BHPian

Hi TBHPians!

A friend wants to install the Hella Dynaview Evo 2 on his 2021 Thar. AFAIK the particular cornering light system has been out of production for some time, probably, due to most modern cars coming with a cornering function built-in, however, we have located a seller on eBay.
The installation instructions are reasonably straightforward.

EVO 2.PDF

A YouTube link..

If anyone has any experience with these lights, I would appreciate your input/advise, as I haven’t installed a smart system like this.

Cheers and stay safe!

Last edited by ValuableRecluse : 6th January 2022 at 18:56. Reason: Broken YouTube links doc upload
Old 8th January 2022, 18:59   #12259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
Don't go with either of those. Go with the Autobahn h4 led bulbs rated at 55w each. They are very powerful and have high and low beam like halogens. Im using them in my 2020 dzire.

These are the cobb led bulbs and they are absolutely useless for high beam. You need to go with the ones that mimick the halogens. Im using 1 in my Yamaha RX 100 and it has a proper high beam pattern.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Honestly if you ask me, none of the Philips Xtreme Vision / Osram night breakers are worth it and do not yield any more than 5% actual difference in light output on road. (I have worked with an automotive oem lighting company during my career). In fact in many countries these companies have been fined heavily for misrepresentation and false advertising.

Hi

I have an Etios, with Stock Phoenix H4 55W bulbs.(Dual filament type)
Usage is mixed - Both Highway/Expressway & City

I'm considering upgrading my headlights (preferably without getting a relay, as I want to avoid messing with wiring.)

Option 1) Get H4 XtremeVision G-Force 55W.
Reason - I read reviews that even with same wattage as stock, the visibility much higher & spread is better with these bulbs

Option 2) Get a relay kit etc etc & get a Philips 100/90w bulb.

So looking at Option #2 as a last resort.

Option 3) Get Philips regular halogen H4 bulbs at 94rs.
But is there a difference in brightness?

Any advise plz?
@Behemoth - What's your take, since you've worked in OEM lighting?

Last edited by som9729 : 8th January 2022 at 19:26.
Old 8th January 2022, 19:12   #12260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValuableRecluse View Post
Hi TBHPians!

A friend wants to install the Hella Dynaview Evo 2 on his 2021 Thar.
Two alternatives assuming this kit is expensive and chances of these things breaking in a vehicle like Thar.

1. Fit normal fog lamps and align them outwards , turn them on while driving through hill roads.
2. Move the headlamp leveler of Thar to position 3 while driving through hill roads.
Old 8th January 2022, 23:57   #12261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post

1. Fit normal fog lamps and align them outwards , turn them on while driving through hill roads.
2. Move the headlamp leveler of Thar to position 3 while driving through hill roads.
Option 1. is what I’ve used for years on my Fortuner. I have a pair of Gold Runway GR50’s mounted in the fog lamp slots. Due to the outboard 1/3 section of the bumper sweep back, they’re angled about 10 degrees outward, which is great for a ghat road. Unfortunately my friend finds this solution too inelegant.

Not sure how the headlamp leveller can direct more lumens sideways, unless the headlight itself is rotated.
ValuableRecluse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 09:25   #12262
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValuableRecluse View Post

Not sure how the headlamp leveller can direct more lumens sideways, unless the headlight itself is rotated.
Due to the inboard headlamp setup of Thar, increasing the tilt of the reflector brings the beam spread closer towards the front of vehicle. I do not have fog lamps in two of my vehicles and this is what works on the hills. During actual fog, this won't work though.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2022, 10:13   #12263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by som9729 View Post
Hi

I have an Etios, with Stock Phoenix H4 55W bulbs.(Dual filament type)
Usage is mixed - Both Highway/Expressway & City

I'm considering upgrading my headlights (preferably without getting a relay, as I want to avoid messing with wiring.)

Option 1) Get H4 XtremeVision G-Force 55W.
Reason - I read reviews that even with same wattage as stock, the visibility much higher & spread is better with these bulbs

Option 2) Get a relay kit etc etc & get a Philips 100/90w bulb.

So looking at Option #2 as a last resort.

Option 3) Get Philips regular halogen H4 bulbs at 94rs.
But is there a difference in brightness?

Any advise plz?
@Behemoth - What's your take, since you've worked in OEM lighting?
None of the high brightness bulbs in the same wattage will give you any tangible benefits. You have three paths you can take:

1) go for high wattage H4 bulbs. They are typically available in two wattages - 80w and 100w type - search for H4 Rally bulbs. If you don't want to go till 130w, the 100w is also a decent upgrade. However you will need a H4 relay kit and also should upgrade your holders to ceramic ones. These will give you same beam spread and CCT and better light levels.

2) go for Osram Led H4 bulbs, the light is better but it is cool white and the focus of high beam will not be too good. Low beam though will be a lot better.

3) go for Osram Dh4 hid in 4200K. This will also be a good upgrade and the H4 kits come with inbuilt shields for glare control.

Depending on your needs you can select anyone of the above.

Last edited by Behemoth : 9th January 2022 at 10:16.
Old 9th January 2022, 10:39   #12264
BHPian

Quote:
None of the high brightness bulbs in the same wattage will give you any tangible benefits. You have three paths you can take:

1) go for high wattage H4 bulbs. They are typically available in two wattages - 80w and 100w type - search for H4 Rally bulbs. If you don't want to go till 130w, the 100w is also a decent upgrade. However you will need a H4 relay kit and also should upgrade your holders to ceramic ones. These will give you same beam spread and CCT and better light levels.
Thanks!
Good stuff!

1) Above you said bulbs are of 80w & 100w types
80w means 100/90w, correct?
and 100w means 130/100w?

I couldn't find a "80w" bulb on amazon.

2) In the long run, its safe for the car's electrical system/wiring to use a 100/90w right?

3) I read that high watt bulbs tend to have lower lifetime.
My stock bulbs are 7 years old!, but recent severe fog made me consider the upgrade!
What kind of lifetime can reasonably be expected from a 100/90w bulb?

4) I'm concerned the 100/90w high beam might be blinding for oncoming traffic? Any thoughts on this?
Is it blindingly bright or manageably so?
I need to use the high beam at times, since we have all sorts of stuff on our roads.

5) Was looking at Philips Rally 100/90w with kit.
Mechanic quoted me 1800 for kit+bulbs.

Last edited by som9729 : 9th January 2022 at 10:56.
Old 9th January 2022, 11:01   #12265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!
Good stuff!

1) Above you said bulbs are of 80w & 100w types
80w means 100/80w, correct?

2) In the long run, its safe for the car's electrical system/wiring to use a 100/80w right?

My stock bulbs are 7 years old!, but recent severe fog made me consider the upgrade!
What kind of lifetime can reasonably be expected from a 100/80w bulb?

4) I'm concerned the 100/80w high beam might be blinding for oncoming traffic? Any thoughts on this? How bright will it be?
I need to use the high beam at times, since we have all sorts of stuff on our roads.
1) Rally bulbs used to come in three wattages 80/70 (Low beam/ high beam) ; 100/90 and 130/100. Now I am seeing only 100 and 130 as the available options and 80w may have been discontinued

2) rally bulbs should never be installed on the cars wiring as it cannot take that much current. They must always be installed with a separate wiring and relay kit wired directly to the battery

3) yes high wattage bulbs have a very short life. If normal h4 bulbs have a life of 1000hr the high wattage one have a life of 200hr and the higher the wattage, the lesser the life.

4) yes high wattage rally bulbs are blinding for oncoming cars and in fact are not road legal and are meant only for rally driving (hence the name). However if safety is crucial you can consider them but use high beam very sparingly to avoid inconvenience to others.

Another option you can consider is adding HID fog lamps with projectors in your car. There are good ones from iPhcar available with companies like Blaze in India. These are also available in bi-beam options which work synchronised to your low/high beams.
Behemoth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 00:41   #12266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
kind of lifetime
4) I'm concerned the 100/90w high beam might be blinding for oncoming traffic? Any thoughts on this?
Is it blindingly bright or manageably so?.
Quote:
1) Rally
4) yes high wattage rally bulbs are blinding for oncoming cars.. .. .. However if safety is crucial you can consider them but use high beam very sparingly to avoid inconvenience to others
Low beams of 100/90 aren't glaring to oncoming vehicles in low beam. Its the high beam which gets too bright and would definitely cause a lot of glare. Regarding lifetime, I had used 100/90 bulbs in my SX4 for ten years and had changed the pair of bulbs only once. The second pair of bulbs were fine till date except that I removed them to make way for H4 LEDs from OSRAM.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 16:04   #12267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks!
Good stuff

2) In the long run, its safe for the car's electrical system/wiring to use a 100/90w right?

In my experience, had used 100/90 bulbs with relay and ceramic holders for last 12 years. Didn't need to change them.
Old 10th January 2022, 16:51   #12268
BHPian

Hi Everyone, Urgent help is required.

I recently upgraded my Terrano's light setup and bought 7400K LEDs for High Beam and 4300K for Fog lights. I tested them for a few nights, and they seemed alright. The fog light LEDs are not that great, and I planned to upgrade them, but I was caught on trips and the car was parked away.
Recently, I drove my car for 250kms and started late afternoon, thinking I'm good for a few hours of driving at night with my upgraded setup. It started raining too, and as it got dark, I realised I'm almost blinded in my vision in rain for the high beam to see the highway!
When I have some vehicles in the vicinity, the car reflects light and I see the area around, but with me at the forefront, I couldn't see the road, the corner, forget about ditches and other important stuff we need to see.
It was scary as hell, and I immediately planned to follow up with a car, and somehow managed to reach home without any incident.
Please advise what went wrong in my setup, and how to improve. I would rather go back to stock halogens and face that stress rather than being blinded like this.
But, if possible, I would spend more and get the right equipment for worse case scenarios like I faced (Night Drive+constant sprinkling rains & heavy traffic).
Off-topic, my wiper blade, which I changed in October only, somehow wasn't at its best, and it added to the misery.

My current LED Setup cost 8K for both LEDs from a local vendor. The LED is not a reputed name like OSRAM or MORIMOTO but the dealer gave me three years warranty on the 7400K and one year on the smaller one.

Last edited by aastiksaluja : 10th January 2022 at 17:07.
Old 10th January 2022, 17:25   #12269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aastiksaluja View Post
It started raining too, and as it got dark, I realised I'm almost blinded in my vision in rain for the high beam to see the highway!
Revert to stock but replace the old halogen bulb with equivalent ones from Philips, make sure they are original. Make sure the low beam cut off is proper and is aligned properly, the earlier mod could have disturbed these things a bit.

So now for your highway trips, install a pair of Hella driving lights and wire them to trigger along with your high beams, this works a treat and costs less than 5K.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 18:08   #12270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
So now for your highway trips, install a pair of Hella driving lights and wire them to trigger along with your high beams, this works a treat and costs less than 5K.
Appreciate your response. Question for Hella lights- Do I need an extra fitment to change these- like a bullbar? Won't an extra fitment raise red flags with authority? If there are any links to what I need, I would be grateful. Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks