Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2022, 12:17   #12481
BHPian

Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedalmasher_20 View Post
Hi guys, My dad owns a 2012 MS WagonR VXi and recently, I have been getting this feeling of the light throw and brightness not being adequate when I drive it in the night. Currently, the car is running on the Phillips H4 Xtreme Vision 55/60W. Now, I am thinking of upgrading the bulbs to a higher rating so that our upcoming long drive can be less stressful. After reading a few reviews, felt that going with the 90/100W with a relay would be the best option. I also have a thought running in my mind weather 130/100W would be overkill for the car or not and am quite confused. .
Hi Pedal Masher,

MASS are not allowed to fit any bulbs that exceed Indian Govt. MVA standards - viz. 55/60W. The Philipps Extreme Vision are just marginally better than the normal Philips - maybe 10% better. Not worth investing in them.
I have a 2013 and 2016 WagonR. On both of them I have upgraded the headlights. On the 2013 one, I used a Philips relay with 90/100W Philips Rallye H4 bulbs.
That car is now sold but I was happy with the upgrade.
On the 2016 WR, I have fitted a "Vaishnu" wiring loom and relay with Bakelite bulb holders and 100/130W bulbs. This upgrade cost about Rs. 1500 all inclusive but the difference is huge.
The road is clearly visible to me now and if anyone tries to drive with their high beam on while approaching me, a quick flip to main beam will soon have them dipping their lights.
I would recommend "Vaishnu" which is available on Amazon as they use heavy duty "Finolex" wires and a heavy duty relay. Make sure you buy original Philips Rallye 100/130W bulbs from an authorised distributor.
Please note that extensive use of these lights may result in darkening of your reflectors so if you do a lot of night driving, it may be better to stick to the "Vaishnu" wiring and relay with 90/100W bulbs.
As your car is now 10 years old, I would think that your headlight casings/covers have gone yellow with age in which case i would suggest that you get the Headlights restoration done at a proper 3M or other detailing shop. Costs about Rs. 300 each light. That will also make a huge difference.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 10:55   #12482
BHPian

hey, folks!

I had been using the F.E Retrofit 50W Bi-Xenon Projector Fog Lamp Kit on my Ford EcoSport since 2019, and while it ran without any issues and had great light output, I was always looking for something brighter.

I had also changed every interior and exterior bulb to LED, so the itch to change the fog lamps to an LED unit was something that I was trying to suppress.

more over, as you can see from my yellow tinted headlights, i’m a sucker for warm white light output, and what made things worse is that every decent LED projector fog lamp was rated at 6000K or above.

fast forward to two weeks ago, a friend of mine who specifically does headlight upgrades told me that AOZOOM was about to launch their brightest LED projector fog lamp, and not only did it come with a laser function, but it was rated at 4300K.

needless to say I was sold, and off I went to get it installed.

for any sort of head lamp or fog lamp upgrade, hit up @HeadlightUpgradeIndia and take my reference!
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-6af1f30cd2d444f09b051e76002a73cf.jpeg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-0cfc6c61a7b7425692e196ba0f7bfe3f.jpeg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-4c103684ad6b43f8a51b9f73c26aa9a7.jpeg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-fdc16e1b23ed4b359d15c600f7796473.jpeg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-11a6ad2b4d2848768b8b0a9a32b16fdd.jpeg  

AShubrah is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 12:56   #12483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AShubrah View Post
hey, folks!

I had been using the F.E Retrofit 50W Bi-Xenon Projector Fog Lamp Kit on my Ford EcoSport since 2019, and while it ran without any issues and had great light output, I was always looking for something brighter.
How much does this one cost? and how do you compare the spread
to HID fog projectors ?
Mr. Nobody is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2022, 20:07   #12484
BHPian

Can anyone give a comparison between Osram Night Breaker Laser and Philips RacingVision GT200?

I ordered the GT200 as the Osram bulbs are almost twice the cost. But do these bulbs deliver what they promise? The stock bulbs on my Polo are pathetic and I just need some decent lighting (read: I don't want to blind people on the road, but still be able to see the road well enough).
Old 24th December 2022, 23:53   #12485
BHPian

Hello Bhpians,

Based on the earlier advice from the community members, I have installed a pair of Hella Rallye 3003’s on my TUV. They are on an independent Philips relay rating 12V/100W, and can only be switched on if the headlights are on. They are not connected to the high beam flash (overtaking flash setup) in headlights but have a standalone switch, which ensures they can be switched on only when needed. The bulbs in the Rallye 3003 are H1 halogens which currently are 60W yellow colour ones.

The problem I am facing is that the TUV headlights are 60W/55W halogens (Yellow colour) ones - default setup from factory. I have not tinkered with the same as I drive in the city at night frequently, and don’t want to get into any issues with the traffic cops.

If I switch on both the headlights on low beam and the Rallye’s, while it does give good brightness and distance of throw, with headlights covering the immediate area needs to drive while Rallye’s illuminating the distance of around 30 metres, overall the brightness remains the same, and I feel the Rallye’s act as an additional set of headlights on high beam. IMHO, this is due to the same wattage of bulbs.

I only use the Rallye’s on highway night drives, preferably after it is actually dark and never during the twilight time. There is limited usage in the city, restricted only to super heavy rains.

I wanted to check if I can use 12V 100W H1 bulbs on my Rallye, with the existing setup. I am guessing yes, keeping in mind the limited usage, and the fact that I don’t use the Rallye’s frequently

Need the esteemed members opinions and thoughts on this.
Old 26th December 2022, 08:22   #12486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post

I wanted to check if I can use 12V 100W H1 bulbs on my Rallye, with the existing setup. I am guessing yes, keeping in mind the limited usage, and the fact that I don’t use the Rallye’s frequently
I have used 100W bulbs in my Hella 700FFs for quite sometime now without any issues. The reflectors in Hella's aux lights are quite good w.r.t to quality.
So I don't see any reason why you cannot use the same in 3003s.

BTW, I would be interested in how you mounted the lights in your TUV. Can you share some advice, what mounting points you used? Pictures would be helpful too.
Old 26th December 2022, 10:00   #12487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
How much does this one cost? and how do you compare the spread
to HID fog projectors ?
these units cost ₹22,000/- for a pair.

the low beam is almost the same as my HID fog lamp projector, albeit a little brighter, but the high beam is way better, and the additional laser really helps with the fog.
AShubrah is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2022, 01:47   #12488
BHPian

Hello team,
I installed the "Vaishnu" wiring and relay with 90/100W bulbs a month back on my Gen1 Ertiga. Everything was going great until a couple of hours ago when I was just telling my wife as to how much the light on the road has increased post this update.
Cut to a few minutes later, both the low beams went blank. :-(
I checked the 30A fuses (each) in the relay and both of them were intact. I still need to locate and check the fuse in the fusebox. But any suggestions as to why/how both the bulbs went kaput at the same time? (Anything else to check?) I had to cover the rest of distance on high beams and after adjusting the headlamp throw to level4

I had ordered these bulbs online (osram ones) but the shopkeeper showed me Osram ones (twice as expensive) made in Germany and I wavered and asked him to install those instead of the ones I picked from Amazon. JFYI
Old 30th December 2022, 14:06   #12489
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
Hello team,
I installed the "Vaishnu" wiring and relay with 90/100W bulbs a month back on my Gen1 Ertiga. Everything was going great until a couple of hours ago when I was just telling my wife as to how much the light on the road has increased post this update.
Cut to a few minutes later, both the low beams went blank. :-(
I checked the 30A fuses (each) in the relay and both of them were intact. I still need to locate and check the fuse in the fusebox. But any suggestions as to why/how both the bulbs went kaput at the same time? (Anything else to check?) I had to cover the rest of distance on high beams and after adjusting the headlamp throw to level4

I had ordered these bulbs online (osram ones) but the shopkeeper showed me Osram ones (twice as expensive) made in Germany and I wavered and asked him to install those instead of the ones I picked from Amazon. JFYI
I tracked this down to a faulty relay. Vaishu has kindly agreed to ship me a new one.
kedar_GT is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th January 2023, 19:29   #12490
BHPian

Guys, my lighting related knowledge is in negative and want some help.

The stock bulbs on my Safari Dicor are 60/55w. My last highway drive from Pondicherry extended to mignight and I was very dissappointed with my headlights.

I went for a replacement and decided to install 100/90w bulbs and Minda relay 100/130w today (based on the suggestion from the shop owner)

I am yet to test the set up during night today, but can anyone tell me if I can also install 130/90w bulb on this set up if I need it?

Is there a difference expected between 100/130w and 130/100w relay?

Please note, I do not drive on high beam with oncoming traffic and 130/90w set up should not be a problem for them.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_29292.jpg  

Old 15th January 2023, 15:58   #12491
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar_GT View Post
I tracked this down to a faulty relay. Vaishu has kindly agreed to ship me a new one.
Saw this post and remembered a similar issue a decade ago when I upgraded SX4s headlight. I too had a relay issue and this showed up right at the start since the relay had a manufacturing defect and would stick to the contacts. When you swap the relay, disconnect the fuse of the headlight and switch between high and low beams 20+ times to exercise the relay. If there are any defects which would cause immediate issues it will show up immediately.

What I would also recommend is to not go for these unheard brands especially for the relay. Back then I had installed a 'Super' branded wiring kit and relay and this relay had an issue. I replaced it with Roots Relay and that has worked flawlessly untill date. The relay coupler is generic so you can swap this Vaishu relay with one from a brand like Bosch/Roots/PMP/Minda etc and is hardly a 200-300 rupee expense for peace of mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
I am yet to test the set up during night today, but can anyone tell me if I can also install 130/90w bulb
Is there a difference expected between 100/130w and 130/100w relay?
The H4 headlight wiring kits are normally meant to handle 130/100 watt bulbs at max which is by the design choice of wires and fuses. Its always the high beam which is rated higher so there is no 100/130 arrangement where the high beam is 100w and low beam 130. So you can definitely go with 130/90 bulbs. There is no variant of wiring kit and relay specific to the wattage of the lights.

But personally I have tried this combination with a Hella 130/90 bulb which was the only one available. I didn't find much improvement compared to the Phillips Rally 100/90 bulbs. Hence I reverted to 100/90. I have used Osram/Bosch/Hella and Phillips 100/90 bulbs and can assure you that Bosch and Hella won't give you a significant improvement. Phillips is the best and Osram follows. However at that time I would stick to Phillips since it featured a UV Block glass which would prevent headlight fading. Due to this, the headlights of my car never faded over 10 years.

Last edited by audioholic : 15th January 2023 at 16:01.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 21:32   #12492
BHPian

My car uses H7+H7 combination for low and high beam, i am keen to converting the low beams to a 100/90W setup with a relay.

a) Most of the relays from reputed vendors are of the H4 type, can these be used.
b) Wirings kits such as https://www.amazon.in/VAISHNU-Headla.../dp/B08PDJ1ZQ6 are available but not sure if these are compatible and can i just 2 of these H7 sockets instead of all 4 of them.

Sorry for the basic questions and if this has already been answered earlier in the thread however was unable to find relevant information.
Old 28th January 2023, 16:12   #12493
rbg

Hello, Skoda Rapid here. I recently upgraded low beam Projector to 110w Blaupunkt leds and high beam to Phillips 110w halogen. City driving is fine now but highway performance is still not satisfactory for me.

My question is are auxiliary headlamps 5.5-7in diameter illegal in Karnataka Tamil Nadu and Goa?

I once asked a traffic police personnel near Sarjapur Manipal junction and he said yes it is illegal but I am not convinced.

Any response from you folks will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 12th February 2023, 01:58   #12494
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Has anyone fitted the IPH M617 three colour fog lights on their car? If so, could you please give some feedback. How effective are they? How easy to fit? Useful in rain / fog etc.? I understand the price is between 6 to 7k depending where you buy hem from with an additional 1k for 1 year warranty.

Thanks & Regards,
SS
Old 12th February 2023, 02:01   #12495
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbg View Post
Hello, Skoda Rapid here. I recently upgraded low beam Projector to 110w Blaupunkt leds and high beam to Phillips 110w halogen. City driving is fine now but highway performance is still not satisfactory for me.

My question is are auxiliary headlamps 5.5-7in diameter illegal in Karnataka Tamil Nadu and Goa?

I once asked a traffic police personnel near Sarjapur Manipal junction and he said yes it is illegal but I am not convinced.

Any response from you folks will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
AFAIK, auxiliary lights (as per the MVA) are allowed but should be mounted below the level of the headlights. When not in use, they should be covered up. In Goa, the cops are not too fussy but it all depends on which State Registration car you are driving!!

Cheers,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks