Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2008, 02:45   #1891
BHPian

Guys,
I had an upgrade to Philips Crystal vision H4 100/90W bulbs on my magnum. But I feel its more yellowish and not bright as some other bulbs I have seen on road. I happpend to see some bulbs which are not very blue, but giving a clear white light. It was not hurting eyes and the beam was like Xenon lamps. Can anyone tell me which bulb it should be? H7????
Old 12th July 2008, 03:05   #1892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Yes, I know that white bulb life time is less and also heard that it blow off when high&low beam is used often. When installing the bulb care was taken not to touch the bulb glass area.

Previously had Crystal vision for 10 months, didn't have any problem except less light, so switched to this one. I have backup bulbs in the car, however the left side bulb replacement is a problem, because the guy had fixed the relay in that place. To replace it first I have to remove the relay and then replace. I insisted him to move the relay to some other place, but he could not fix it elsewhere, have to go with it.

This one is really good and the high beam is more powerful.
Hey,
Even I am having Crystal Vision 90/100 in my car but looks a bit yellow.The pics from you looks really cool. May I know which model of Narva is this? Any specific trade name/model no to mention ?
Old 12th July 2008, 11:29   #1893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
Hey,
Even I am having Crystal Vision 90/100 in my car but looks a bit yellow.The pics from you looks really cool. May I know which model of Narva is this? Any specific trade name/model no to mention ?
I don't the model name, you have to ask the dealer for Narva 100/90 white. The bulb will be coated with blue layer so it looks little white. In the night it almost looks like the crystal vision white beam though very bright that that. Don't mistake this for the powerful white light you saw, they should be Xenon HID Kits.
Old 14th July 2008, 08:10   #1894
BHPian

All, I had my first night drive after upgrading to Osram Nightbreaker series. Now I am able to see the road clearly for more distance. I found the opposite drivers are bit more offensive, may be my light disturbing them a lot.
Old 14th July 2008, 16:44   #1895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajeshK View Post
Now I am able to see the road clearly for more distance. I found the opposite drivers are bit more offensive, may be my light disturbing them a lot.
HL focusing could be the culprit. You can DIY or go to a service station and have them fine tune it.
Old 15th July 2008, 07:24   #1896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
HL focusing could be the culprit. You can DIY or go to a service station and have them fine tune it.
Thanks a lot for the suggestion...I hv done the tuning by myself to get more visibility in highways, but in fact the low beam also got little elevated. Corrected it now
Old 16th July 2008, 13:55   #1897
BHPian

A word of caution

Friends, for those who are looking to upgrade their stock headlight bulbs to the 130/100 series, think twice before you do so.

It's been 2 years since I had upgraded to the 130/100 Philips (alongwith Roots wiring and Relay kit) and was very happy with the outcome, I still am.

However the heat that was produced due to these bulbs have literally melted the Headlight dooms in my Santro, am attaching a pic for your reference. The pics would speak for themselves, am sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img00439.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img00440.jpg  

Old 16th July 2008, 14:20   #1898
Team-BHP Support

suren you escaped with minor damage, sometimes 130/110W can damage the entire reflector.
Old 16th July 2008, 16:19   #1899
Senior - BHPian

Hi ..have upgraded to 90/100 sometime back...guess am running on normal philips..kind of satisfued

Want to know is their any other bulb which is a better perfomer?

How much would osram 90/100 would cost?
Old 16th July 2008, 17:18   #1900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Friends, for those who are looking to upgrade their stock headlight bulbs to the 130/100 series, think twice before you do so.

It's been 2 years since I had upgraded to the 130/100 Philips (alongwith Roots wiring and Relay kit) and was very happy with the outcome, I still am.

However the heat that was produced due to these bulbs have literally melted the Headlight dooms in my Santro, am attaching a pic for your reference. The pics would speak for themselves, am sure.
I too reported of the same with my friend's/tbhpians Swift. Do you do long drives at night?
Old 17th July 2008, 17:18   #1901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post

It's been 2 years since I had upgraded to the 130/100 Philips
Hmmm... I'm using the same in my Zen for like 4yrs but it has Glass headlamps

But thanks for posting the pic man, I was thinking of going for the 130/100 in the Swift.
Now I'm really scared.

Guys, will the same happen for a HID ?
does it generate the same/ or more heat than a Halogen ?
It is mentioned the wattage is 35 for normal HID kits.

Will the same thing suren181 faced will happen to the swift ?
Swift owners who has 130/100, or HID kits please share you experience.

Help...!
Old 17th July 2008, 19:01   #1902
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post

Technically its supposed to emanate lesser heat primarily due to the absence of any electrically-heated filaments. My HID's definitely run cooler than my earlier halogens.
Old 17th July 2008, 19:03   #1903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzfrj View Post
Hmmm... I'm using the same in my Zen for like 4yrs but it has Glass headlamps

But thanks for posting the pic man, I was thinking of going for the 130/100 in the Swift.
Now I'm really scared.

It is mentioned the wattage is 35 for normal HID kits.

Will the same thing suren181 faced will happen to the swift ?
Swift owners who has 130/100, or HID kits please share you experience.

Help...!
HIDs are much more efficient than normal halogen lamps. They convert more of the electricity into light (and therefore, less into heat). This should be obvious from their electrical ratings - 35/55W against the 130/100W of the halogen lamps that do damage to headlamps.

Therefore, an HID bulb can put out a maximum of 35 or 55W of combined heat and light while a 130W halogen can give out a maximum of 130W of combined heat and light. With HIDs, more of the output power is light, while this is the opposite in normal lamps.

Hope that helps.
Old 17th July 2008, 20:58   #1904
BHPian

For HIDs - Most of the heat generated would be in the ballast right ? And the ballast is housed in the engine bay or some other place. The lamp itself does produce heat obviously but its efficiency in terms of light/watt is worlds apart compared to the Halogen. So in theory at least the heating effects of the HID is far lesser than a Halogen IMHO.
Old 17th July 2008, 21:28   #1905
BHPian

Thanks theMAG, ImmortalZ, Sandeep_K_Ram

I just asked our trust service center guy.
He said cops are just going after the HID cars as its illegal.
Is it so ?

My Zen has 130/100 and it has glass headlights so heat factor is ok and its working fine for the last 4+ yrs.

But I'm worried to put the same in the new black puppy (Swift VDi - Black)
Guys from cochin, you valuable input requested regarding the "cop" issue.

What to do ? HID or no HID ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks