Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2010, 17:14   #1
Senior - BHPian

Difference between Xenon-Angel Eyes-HID-Projector headlamps

Friends!

This may sound like a fairly stupid query: But can you tell me the difference between

1. Xenon headlamp: Is it only the gas because of which it gets its name?
2. Angel Eyes: A BMW patent, Angel eyes is the fav fitment for CIVIC guys. Is it only the outer illuminated circular shell and casing?
3. HID Lamps: The Corolla has HID lamps but they are only for that bluish lighting and high intensity discharge. No 'complex looking' a.k.a Skoda Laura/Beemer headlamps there?
4. Projector headlamps: Some of the 'complex looking' headlamps are projectors. What exactly do we mean by this?

Ok! Net net, can somebody explain which out of the above mentioned go in to make that BMW look alike headlamp. A sample of a modded job is here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ll-more-2.html

Basically, one of my friends wants to modify the Vento TDI Highline with those type of headlamps. He doesn't know which of the above is applicable?? I know this is basic query but can somebody explain this in detail. I appreciate the help extended.

MODS: My intention is not to SPAM the forum with trivial questions. Just that I haven't been able to get a 'detailed' answer as yet! If you find it inappropriate, delete the post.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 21st December 2010 at 17:15.
Old 21st December 2010, 17:21   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Difference between Xenon-Angel Eyes-HID-Projector headlamps

Not a stupid query at all.

1. Xenon is a type of gas, used in some bulbs, which gives out that bright white light.
2. Angel eyes are those circles which light up in white/yellow.
3. Projector lamps are those fancy lamps you see in BMWs and Skodas. They may have Xenon (aka white lights) or normal yellow bulbs.
4. HID stands for high intensity discharge lamps, same as Xenon. They are usually seem in projector headlamps, or sometimes in reflector setups like the Altis.

So eg. for the Civic lights you are talking about, the lens kinda thing inside is the projector headlamp. The round rings around it are the angel eyes. And if the projectors give out white lights it is running on Xenons/HIDs.

Hope that clears it up.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2010, 17:32   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So eg. for the Civic lights you are talking about, the lens kinda thing inside is the projector headlamp. The round rings around it are the angel eyes. And if the projectors give out white lights it is running on Xenons/HIDs.
Thats as clear an answer as I could have expected! Thanks a ton buddy.

So, basically, my friend wants that Angel Eye surrounds a.k.a BMW 'Corona rings', the projectors inside it and the headlamp inside the projector to be HID:- To get the 'complete package'.

Do you have any idea if the after market headlight assembly (like the Civic mod jobs) tend to come as a complete package or do people tend to buy each of the above mentioned components separately? . For e.g. the 16-18k quotes that we normally hear is for the complete assembly?

Also, do pretty much any car be fitted with such stuff or do these dealers need to source the casings for the Angel Eyes to make it work? Basically what I am asking is do most dealers have such lighting systems for most cars or is the availability limited to heavily modded cars like Swift/Civic. I know that this could be a vague question..

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 21st December 2010 at 17:40.
Old 21st December 2010, 17:35   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Friends!

This may sound like a fairly stupid query: But can you tell me the difference between

1. Xenon headlamp: Is it only the gas because of which it gets its name?
2. Angel Eyes: A BMW patent, Angel eyes is the fav fitment for CIVIC guys. Is it only the outer illuminated circular shell and casing?
3. HID Lamps: The Corolla has HID lamps but they are only for that bluish lighting and high intensity discharge. No 'complex looking' a.k.a Skoda Laura/Beemer headlamps there?
4. Projector headlamps: Some of the 'complex looking' headlamps are projectors. What exactly do we mean by this?

Ok! Net net, can somebody explain which out of the above mentioned go in to make that BMW look alike headlamp. A sample of a modded job is here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ll-more-2.html

Basically, one of my friends wants to modify the Vento TDI Highline with those type of headlamps. He doesn't know which of the above is applicable?? I know this is basic query but can somebody explain this in detail. I appreciate the help extended.

MODS: My intention is not to SPAM the forum with trivial questions. Just that I haven't been able to get a 'detailed' answer as yet! If you find it inappropriate, delete the post.
For BMW kind of headlights, you will need Projectors, angel eyes. HID's/Xenons are bulbs.

But since Vento is pretty new to the market, you wont get readymade kits. Since Civics and Swifts are very popular for modifications, many companies have started manufacturing readymade kits. I have installed readymade kits for my swift. It comes with Projectors and Angel eyes. I got HID's extra for better vision.

Here are my inputs to your queries

1)Xenon headlamp: The name comes from the gas that is produced. It's also called HID's
2) Angel Eyes: As you had mentioned, its a BMW patent. Also know as "Chris Bangle rings" named after BMW's designer icon, Chris Bangle.
3) HID Lamps: Yes, the new Corolla Altis got this as OEM fitment. Also for Beemer/skoda/audi/Mercs
4) Projector headlamps: All high end cars have projectors. In simple terms, it projects the light better than normal headlights. (like a torch). It's got a lens at the front and a reflector near the bulb. Projectors are really expensive so these are found in high end cars.

HID's can also be used in normal headlights, but there will be a lot of scattering since HID's are designed for projector headlights.

As for the Vento, you will need to install projectors onto the existing headlight. This means, you will have to cut the reflectors and install the projectors. A skilled mechanic will be required for such a job since it's very risky and can damage the headlight if not cut properly. This is also be expensive than readymade projector headlight units since a lot of labor is involved.

Cheers.
naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st December 2010, 17:54   #5
BHPian

So is it possible to get projector headlamps with just hids?
The angel eyes may/may not be a part of the headlamp assembly?(according to the design of the headlamp)
And I've come across this world alot on this forum, what does retrofit mean? How is it relevantly related to this topic?
So if the hid bulbs cost say approximately 6k, the assembly would set us back by another 7-10k? in all setting us back by around 15k?
and can somebody also explain how the color is related to temperature?
my questions are more specifically hid related, I hope that isn't a problem
Old 21st December 2010, 17:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As for the Vento, you will need to install projectors onto the existing headlight. This means, you will have to cut the reflectors and install the projectors. A skilled mechanic will be required for such a job since it's very risky and can damage the headlight if not cut properly. This is also be expensive than readymade projector headlight units since a lot of labor is involved.
OK! However, the better option will be to source the ready made casing for the Angel Eyes. I guess the projector fitting once one has the casing and Angel Eyes will not pose big challenge. I am right? Won't such a casing be available in the market for POLO? I am saying this keeping in mind that the Vento is hardly sold in any market internationally. BTW, will the Polo casing (for Angel Eyes. if available) fit the Vento anyway?

Overall, is it too much of a headache? Since he is getting black Vento, the black headlight casing with Angel Eyes may look stunning!
Old 21st December 2010, 18:16   #7
BHPian

@naveen.raju - i dont think retrofitting projectors will be more expensive than using the prefabricated projector headlight replacements . most would cost i think 16000 + i think while we can retrofit projectors in under 10000 rs with better projectors . plus we can use what projectors ,hid to use and customize to our requirement .

there are also projectors available that require no cutting of reflectors to be installed . only the D2S projectors like hella ,bosch ,etc will require cutting reflectors to mount them .

here are some approx expenses -
1) good quality chinese bi xenon projectors with hids and angel eyes - 9000-10000 .
2) hella bi xenon d2s projectors - 6000-7000 for just projectors plus 4-5k for a good d2s hid .

@ op - in delhi ncr many places will retrofit projectors in you car .
Old 21st December 2010, 18:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) good quality chinese bi xenon projectors with hids and angel eyes - 9000-10000
Yes, but wouldn't the casing be different for all the cars? Are they usually available for pretty much all cars? I mean the POLO/VENTO is quite new in the market. Surely, it can't be one solution-fits-all -bill scenario!

Quote:
and can somebody also explain how the color is related to temperature?
My sceintific theory is: Xenon being an inert gas, changes the beam projection based on heating temperature. It has to be linked to the gas characteristics!

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 21st December 2010 at 18:32.
Old 21st December 2010, 20:14   #9
Team-BHP Support

Someone asked what retrofit is. It is basically fitting a projector lamp into the existing reflector casing of your car. Now there are a few people in India who do it. But a good installed should be found, since it involves opening up and sealing the headlamp glass.

Abhi - I think your best bet is checking out Euro automotive accessories sites. They will have projector lamps for the Polo, which will fit the Vento.
Old 21st December 2010, 21:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, but wouldn't the casing be different for all the cars? Are they usually available for pretty much all cars? I mean the POLO/VENTO is quite new in the market. Surely, it can't be one solution-fits-all -bill scenario!

My sceintific theory is: Xenon being an inert gas, changes the beam projection based on heating temperature. It has to be linked to the gas characteristics!
doesnt matter which car . these come with adaptors that make them fit in any headlamp that uses H4/h7/h1 type assembly as long as there is space is to fit the projector and they also have inbuilt engel eyes . eg this projector http://i52.tinypic.com/euelbm.jpg

in a bi xenon projector beam is changed when the a shield in projector moves down , allowing light to go straight up .
the install the projector the headlamp has to be heated using heat gun etc to soften the sealent that holds the glass and the reflector together , then projector is installed and glass and reflector is sealed back again .search on youtube you will find plenty of videos on this .

the color temperature you talked about is the color of the light from the hid /xenon bulb . hidbulbs have color temperatures like 3000 k [golden yellow light ] ,4300 k [oem standard white ] ,6000 k [pure white] etc . higher the temperature the bluish the light and lesser the light output on road .

Last edited by Mr. Nobody : 21st December 2010 at 21:03.
Old 22nd December 2010, 10:47   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

@Mr Nobody - What you said is true to some extent. I have also seen many outrageous quotes for retro fitted headlights for i20 and i10. Some even quoted 25k just for the headlight assembly. Might be due to the high quality projectors used. No idea, but I got my readymade projector assembly for 13k.

@Abhi - It's hard to source headlights for the Vento. You could try Projector units for Polo. Few pics attached.

@raghav - Yes, it's possible to source projector with HIDs alone. Angel eyes are aftermarket fitments that is used as park lamps/DRL's.
Retro fits means fitting the aftermarket projectors onto the existing headlight assembly unit.
Yes, the whole setup, including the HID's and projector will come anywhere between 15k-20k
The color temp is something sort of a measurement in degree kelvin that describes/indicates the hue of the light source. The color temp only determines the color and not the brightness. The higher the K value, the more bluish the light becomes. Here are few details.

Color Temp (K) Color Description:
3000k Yellow light (suitable for fog lights)
4300k White light with tinges of yellow.
5000K: PURE WHITE LIGHT.
6000K: White light with tinges of blue
8000K: Distinct blue color light
10000K: Bluish-green light
12000K: Bluish-purplish light.
Attached Thumbnails
Difference between Xenon-Angel Eyes-HID-Projector headlamps-vwpologti04.jpg  

Difference between Xenon-Angel Eyes-HID-Projector headlamps-vwpologti07.jpg  

Difference between Xenon-Angel Eyes-HID-Projector headlamps-vwpologtipreview01.jpg  

Difference between Xenon-Angel Eyes-HID-Projector headlamps-vwpologtipreview04.jpg  

Old 22nd December 2010, 14:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Abhi - It's hard to source headlights for the Vento. You could try Projector units for Polo. Few pics attached.
@Naveen

Well, my understanding is that one of these will 'seamlessly' fit to Vento. Is that as simple as that or did I miss anything important? My friend can try to source one if this could be direct fit. Any complexities and he may shirk.

BTW, why aren't you considering one for your car. Trust me, this will completely transform your car to another beast.
1. Get one of these
2. Rear spoiler offered by VW standard accessories. The rear spoiler is cheap too.
3. If you want, you can also go for Linea style chrome beading to add a bit of glamour+class to your car. These beadings look uber cool in Jetta

The whole operation should be under 25k(20k?). I think if you go this route, you will be hard pressed to recognize your car.
Old 22nd December 2010, 16:00   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@Naveen

Well, my understanding is that one of these will 'seamlessly' fit to Vento. Is that as simple as that or did I miss anything important? My friend can try to source one if this could be direct fit. Any complexities and he may shirk.

BTW, why aren't you considering one for your car. Trust me, this will completely transform your car to another beast.
1. Get one of these
2. Rear spoiler offered by VW standard accessories. The rear spoiler is cheap too.
3. If you want, you can also go for Linea style chrome beading to add a bit of glamour+class to your car. These beadings look uber cool in Jetta

The whole operation should be under 25k(20k?). I think if you go this route, you will be hard pressed to recognize your car.
Am not sure whether this will match the existing Vento assembly. Before sourcing it, you can get in touch with the supplier and ask for the details. Maybe, some kind of measurement or size can be gathered before buying this.

I know this will completely change the car into one beast. But as of now, not considering any mods for the Vento. Have few plans for my Swift. It's not completed.

Cheers.
Old 22nd December 2010, 18:05   #14
BHPian

Is there any place i can buy the whole head lamp assembly with projectors for ANHC members please guide me as i am in urgent need
Old 22nd December 2010, 18:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Am not sure whether this will match the existing Vento assembly.
What do you mean by this? My understanding was that the whole current headlamp assembly goes out (except the wires) and replaced one to one by this type of assembly. Is that not true? This gives you Angel Eyes, projectors, HID etc all at one go without tampering with the current assembly (coz there won't be one after replacement)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks