Team-BHP - What if all tyre are of same specs, but not from same make?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   What if all tyre are of same specs, but not from same make? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/94080-what-if-all-tyre-same-specs-but-not-same-make.html)

Hello,

I need some technical answer to this simple query:

I have Getz Prime 1.3GLS model. Since its a company-leased car, I do not have much say in what kind of tyres they would put during tyre replacement. The existing tyres are Michelin ones, which have worn out and needs some replacement. The fifth Michelin tyre kept in my diki is never used and is in brand new condition. During tyre change, they have replaced 3 tyres with new Yokohama tyres of same size as that of exisiting Michelin tyres(175/70/R13). Regarding the fourth tyre, they have taken my unused Michelin tyre from the diki and put it.

So, I now have 3 new Yokohama tyres and one new Michelin tyre of same size. My question is, is there any problems in this kind of situation in terms of the health of the car (suspension etc.) and also in terms of high speed breaking etc? No doubt it looks odd, but I want some answers in terms of health and performance of the car, or any other ill-effects. Kindly throw some light.

--sups

The following:

- Nothing is going to happen if you drive around at low speeds in the city. It's unlikely that drivers will be able to tell the difference in handling.

- You may find (though I'm not sure of this) that the vehicle tracks to one side, if the mismatched tire is the driven one or at the front. This may make the car unstable and a handful to drive.

- You have one old tire and the rest three new. What's in the dickey? I believe that tires "age" and may be unsafe to use at high speeds.

- mvk

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrunkenMonk (Post 2184292)
The following:

- Nothing is going to happen if you drive around at low speeds in the city. It's unlikely that drivers will be able to tell the difference in handling.

- You may find (though I'm not sure of this) that the vehicle tracks to one side, if the mismatched tire is the driven one or at the front. This may make the car unstable and a handful to drive.

- You have one old tire and the rest three new. What's in the dickey? I believe that tires "age" and may be unsafe to use at high speeds.

- mvk

Thanks for the response.

I tried upto 80km/hr, could not notice car pulling on some side. May happen at higher speed, not sure. But ofcourse the road noise has increased a lot, and ride has become slightly harsher compared to Michelin.

The 4th Michelin tyre which was running, has not worn out completely, so that have put that in dickey. And the old but unused Michelin (almost new one) in my dickey is running with the 3 new yokos. So, all the 4 running tyres are new.

Since the threading in yokos Michelin are quite different, I wonder if it would make a difference in breaking on slippery surface, as Michelin with a different thread would behave little differently compared to the others. I do not have ABS in my car.

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Bumping up your own query is strictly prohibited on Team-BHP. In fact, it is considered as SPAM. Please do not hit the post submit button unless you have something of value to add to the thread.

We advise you to visit our board rules before proceeding any further.

Dude relax. As long as all your tyres are of the same specs, it won't matter at all what make they are. I know someone in Kolkata who bought a 2004 Accent with all 4 tyres of different makes :D. Since all were in decent condition, he didn't change them and is still carrying on driving.As for differences in threading, trust me, it would take a car many times more powerful, driven on a racetrack, to really understand how braking is affected. Drive on!

Nothing will happen but the situation may change on wet roads with different treads and tyre condition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadu (Post 2185297)
Nothing will happen but the situation may change on wet roads with different treads and tyre condition.

Thanks dadu. Can you please elaborate how the situation would change differently on wet roads?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sups (Post 2185303)
Thanks dadu. Can you please elaborate how the situation would change differently on wet roads?

Well you need most gripping on wet/ slippery roads and the tyre needs to displace 80% of water its picking up from the road, to maintain a proper grip. Now depending on the tread grooves and wear, it might or might not grip as well as the others, for the sake of example and simplicity, lets assume that the left side tyres are gripping more and the right side are not, that can lead your car to a spin.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dadu (Post 2185439)
Well you need most gripping on wet/ slippery roads and the tyre needs to displace 80% of water its picking up from the road, to maintain a proper grip. Now depending on the tread grooves and wear, it might or might not grip as well as the others, for the sake of example and simplicity, lets assume that the left side tyres are gripping more and the right side are not, that can lead your car to a spin.

Thanks you for the explanation.

As long as the size remains same, it should not be a big problem. However, Yokohoma and Michlien will have different dry/wet grip levels, and should behave differently under extreme cornering and breaking. That would make the car to pull to the left or spin.

However, to reduce this effect, I would suggest you put the different brand combo at the back, and up front run same brand/size/grip.

- Drive Safe