Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2011, 20:53   #16
BHPian

Re: Made a car out of scrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
In my honest and uneducated opinion, it was wrong to weld the whole frame if you are planning to make changes. Changing the motor/engine and other peripherals will require new mounting points and making the frame in pieces, then fastening them with high grade fasteners would've kept your options a lot more open instead of having to cut and weld new parts
I'll keep that point in mind whenever I undertake my next project. It will help me experiment more.
I'll put up a seat-belt along with few other safety measures soon.
Old 17th January 2011, 21:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

Good luck. Let me know if you need help with any engine building
Old 17th January 2011, 22:00   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. Thats quite an effort. Plan to start a manufacturing plant later ? Good show!
Old 17th January 2011, 23:31   #19
BHPian

A very nice effort and a truly commendable feat you have achieved there. As suggested, please secure the petrol tank or modify it to a more safer alternative. Also, a lot of wires seem to be hanging loose from the undercarriage. Tape them or put them through conduits as they are likely to hit/get entangled in something. This is really evident in the picture of you sliding it on gravel.
but I believe would you not need to register it before you ride it on roads?
Old 19th January 2011, 23:42   #20
BHPian

@Prince Parvez: Would love to start manufacturing in future But that would need a lots of Vitamin M.

@Sinner666: It wont be possible to get it registered. Before registering, the car has to go through various non-destructive and destructive test. Which is not possible. So I will have to use it without registration.

Is there any way by which I can atleast obtain a legal permission to drive it around?
Old 20th January 2011, 00:09   #21
BHPian

Friends, here's the making of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Made a car out of scrap-dsc00922.jpg  

Made a car out of scrap-dsc01009.jpg  

Made a car out of scrap-dsc01153.jpg  

Made a car out of scrap-dsc01461.jpg  

Made a car out of scrap-dsc01466.jpg  

Old 20th January 2011, 11:35   #22
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Great work!

By the way, how heavy is the car?
Would the use of a space frame chassis made it a bit lighter.

When you do the body, make sure to have some provision for side rails and if possible a roll hoop and add a plate for the floor.
50KMPH in that ride is a bit risky.
Drive safe!
Old 20th January 2011, 11:43   #23
BHPian

cool ! do not do any other cosmetic changes and it is looking good in Naked.
Old 20th January 2011, 11:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Good initiative. Given that many employees of auto companies are on this forum, hope this thread helps you with "foot in the door".

OTOH, commendable that you are wearing a helmet. And do put a seat belt ASAP. Next thing would be roll cage.
Old 20th January 2011, 13:59   #25
BHPian

@SRK: The car weighs around 250kgs. The car feels quiet stable at 50, but it will be a risk with those tyres.

@Contactme: I will be keeping it naked except a few necessary panels.

@Netfreak: Yup. Next on my list is the flooring, rollcage, seatbelts, tyres and some lights(I usually take it for a ride in the night). I have already installed small tail lights.
Old 20th January 2011, 14:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

I see lots of engineering students build such car during their academic projects. However, I could not see much of value additions to technology or learning. Such things are already there and it is nothing much but creating one more copy.

It is required to demonstrate some differentiation traits among projects than repeating same old thing. Project should be done in guidance under super capable guide and concept should be strong enough so that it could generate some IP or patents.

I am not discouraging but evaluating on the scale of differences which are present in current market. I would suggest you Tejas lets you put some more effort and think out of box solution and try to implement. In that case you get lot more accolades and appreciation and it will develop as your habit (thinking out of box). Good Luck!
anujmishra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2011, 15:45   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I see lots of engineering students build such car during their academic projects. However, I could not see much of value additions to technology or learning. Such things are already there and it is nothing much but creating one more copy.
There are two aspects here:

1. Innovation, do something new
2. Learn, by creating something from scratch

If someone innovates with these projects, that is icing on the cake.

But if some group is taking initiative to build a car from scratch (and survive inevitable trial and error) that itself shows a passion towards core engineering and ability to execute such projects with limited resources.

Passion + ability separates them from vast majority of engineering students.
NetfreakBombay is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th January 2011, 17:44   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
But if some group is taking initiative to build a car from scratch (and survive inevitable trial and error) that itself shows a passion towards core engineering and ability to execute such projects with limited resources.
I agree building from scratch. But such building from scratch knowledges are already present in books and only thing is to put all things together with available knowledge (In other words fabricating parts with available knowledge+assembling). This will help only understanding existing things better.

Great thing would be "Build from Scratch" for which knowledge is not available/very little knowledge available. For this requires Thinking, Thinking and lots of Thinking.
Old 20th January 2011, 18:56   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
building from scratch knowledges are already present in books and only thing is to put all things together with available knowledge
Yes this knowledge already exists in books. With most students, this Knowledge is crammed, dumped into answer sheets and then forgotten.

Attitude to "Apply" this knowledge and in turn actually "Learn" it, is a differentiating factor.

Of course it would be great if "Knowledge Creation" is done. But when even IITs don't do it*, we can't expect a diploma collage to be a place for it.

*Amount of Research done at IITs as compared to Ivy league collages in US/EU.
Old 20th January 2011, 20:47   #30
BHPian

I have made a car from scratch. I have a lot of knowledge about automobiles, atleast enough to make a car out of it. What I did not have before completing it successfully was the confidence. I did not have the experience and idea to complete a project of a considerable value. I knew nothing about where and how to get things done, the soft skills of handling people, finances and other stuff. Also I came to know where is all the raw material available, or how do I acquire it. Thus there has been a huge addition to my experience. Besides I haven't stopped. The project has only motivated me to undertake more projects. I am already juggling with different ideas which I may be implementing on the same car. So this project is just the starter.
A huge majority of Diploma and Engineering go for readymade projects. What next? They clear the course, and thats it. This is why even if you are repeating something, however common it is, doing it yourself is important. If it is something completely new, it is an added advantage.
This is what I feel.
Tejas Ingle is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks