Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2011, 21:52   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Made a car out of scrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
This is why even if you are repeating something, however common it is, doing it yourself is important.

I absolutely agree with you here.

I think there's an old proverb that goes something like :

"When I see, I forget, When I hear, I remember, but When I do, I understand"

@Tejas, Wishing you all the best for your future projects
Old 20th January 2011, 22:37   #32
BHPian

Thanks for the wishes Mooza.
Old 21st January 2011, 11:38   #33
SRK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I see lots of engineering students build such car during their academic projects. However, I could not see much of value additions to technology or learning. Such things are already there and it is nothing much but creating one more copy.

It is required to demonstrate some differentiation traits among projects than repeating same old thing. Project should be done in guidance under super capable guide and concept should be strong enough so that it could generate some IP or patents.

I am not discouraging but evaluating on the scale of differences which are present in current market. I would suggest you Tejas lets you put some more effort and think out of box solution and try to implement. In that case you get lot more accolades and appreciation and it will develop as your habit (thinking out of box). Good Luck!
I have been in a similar situation.
The thing is, most of the projects that involve Innovation need a high amount of money and time. Something that a student does not have.

Secondly, I don't think most colleges actually teach how to go about and complete a project. Also only a few colleges would provide funding for a project and that too if it is done at a National or International level (sometimes students don't even get this).

As far as the guide is concerned, only a few know the things, rest all are just good lecturers and motivators.

So now it all comes down to how a student can complete his/her project and submit it.

If some one is participating in an event like SAE Baja or FSAE, the main thing that they need is the sponsorship, which is very difficult to get if you are a new team.
If things change then I am sure a lot of talented people will come forward and start working.
Old 21st January 2011, 12:13   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
I have been in a similar situation.
The thing is, most of the projects that involve Innovation need a high amount of money and time. Something that a student does not have.....
I fully agree with you. Our environment, college, financials requirements etc most of the time doesn't permit us to innovate. But still there is thin scope out of which students can think and give a try.

You must have heard time to time innovations at village where they have made use of scooter engine, cycle etc. to build innovative products which helps them in their daily chores. If those villagers can do it our students also can do it.

Question is raising bar and then compelling students to work.

I would suggest all students to read online patents in US and other sites of their liking and interest. You will get surprise when you find that how simple simple things patented not much time ago. Some of the patent websites are

http://www.uspto.gov -- US Patent Site
Controller General of Patents Designs and Trademarks (CGPDTM) -- Indian Patent Site
KIPRIS(Korea Intellectual Property Rights Information Service) -- Korean Patent Site
EPO - Home -- European Patent Site
Old 21st January 2011, 22:46   #35
BHPian

@Anuj: Yes, thats true. We need more innovations and many students are comming up with such innovations. But their number is much less. Students are demotivated by the system- Exams, submissions, project guides, limited time and all. Even if they come out with some idea, they dont get a proper platform to showcase it. If a student thinks of some automobile related project, it means a lot of finances. So students simply buy one and its done.
Old 22nd January 2011, 15:46   #36
BHPian

Note from Mod : You have way too many spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other members / guests.

You are hereby instructed to proof-read your posts prior to hitting the "submit" button. Thanks

Last edited by GTO : 24th January 2011 at 14:36.
raj.barcode is offline   Received Infraction
Old 23rd January 2011, 13:38   #37
BHPian

Thanks.
It cant be legalised to run on roads. A vehicle has to go through many road safety test before it can be registered which is not possible in this case.
If there is some way by which I can obtain a legal permission, please let me know...
Old 23rd January 2011, 15:01   #38
Senior - BHPian

Though it can not be registered as a personal vehicle, there might be some way of registering it under R&D / Test model (via your collage). That is the route used by car companies to road-test models prior to certification and to bring in (import) limited number of vehicles for R&D.

Last edited by NetfreakBombay : 23rd January 2011 at 15:03.
Old 23rd January 2011, 15:38   #39
BANNED

Dude, I should salute you for your persistence.

Just a question - what would have happened if you failed to finish the project within the specified time?

Being from the academic background myself, I am astonished at level of incompetency prevailing in our academic circles. Guides / teachers insist on "proved and tested' projects, because students can finish them in time.

What is the chassis? Fabricated? Looks like an overkill, IMO. But, I am no auto designer.
Old 24th January 2011, 00:03   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Though it can not be registered as a personal vehicle, there might be some way of registering it under R&D / Test model (via your collage).
Ok. Let me inquire about this. Hopefully I get the permission.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Dude, I should salute you for your persistence.

Just a question - what would have happened if you failed to finish the project within the specified time?

Being from the academic background myself, I am astonished at level of incompetency prevailing in our academic circles. Guides / teachers insist on "proved and tested' projects, because students can finish them in time.

What is the chassis? Fabricated? Looks like an overkill, IMO. But, I am no auto designer.
If the project wasn't complete, I would had scored very less. I was asked to give it up on many occasions as it was too time consuming. It was also said that it was unnecessary at diploma level.

The chassis has been fabricated.
Old 27th January 2011, 22:55   #41
BHPian

Can someone please suggest me good name for my ride... I have thought a lot but nothing clicked.
The name should be short, catchy and 'UNIQUE'.
Old 19th May 2011, 17:15   #42

hey nice work...great job done..even i tried to make a vehicle when i was in graduation..though i wasnt completely successfully...so great job..congrats.

So you are doing advance diploma in automotive mechatronics from govt polytechnic..
It wud be great if you could provide me with some information regarding the same as i wanted to enroll it this year....
Thank you
Old 19th May 2011, 17:34   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
Can someone please suggest me good name for my ride... I have thought a lot but nothing clicked.
Scrappy!!!

Regards
Spitfire
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2011, 00:26   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahilmongia View Post
So you are doing advance diploma in automotive mechatronics from govt polytechnic..
It wud be great if you could provide me with some information regarding the same as i wanted to enroll it this year....
Thank you
Thanks Sahil.
Advanced Diploma in Automotive Mechatronics is a joint venture between Government Polytechnic Pune and Mercedes-Benz. It is a completely practical based, 1year course. It is situated on University road, opp E-Square, Pune. In this course we go through mechanical, electronics and systems modules, during which we get to work on engines, transmissions etc straight out of the Merc. Apart from these, the center is equiped with two functional Merc C-Class for training. The eligibility for the course is Diploma or Degree in automobile, mechanical or electronics field. Admissions are done through entrance exam which includes basics of automobiles, physics, maths and comprehension. Exam is conducted in September and you can register in augast. If you visit the center now, I can show you around and give further information. If you are interesed in getting deep knowledge in automobiles, this is the place to be in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Scrappy!!!

Regards
Spitfire
That one clicked! Good one. Let me think it out a bit...
Old 20th May 2011, 10:50   #45

Thank you for your support.

Please provide me with your mail id so in case i have any questions i can contact you at your email.

Again, superb car. I think scrappy is a good name.

Most Viewed