Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2011, 00:48   #1
BHPian

Made a car out of scrap

Hello everyone.
I had made this car as my third year diploma project. Most of the material used is got from scrap. It was planned to be an electric hybrid but couldn't finish it off due to financial issues. The space at the front end is for the batteries which would be used if the car is converted to hybrid. Currently, it is running on petrol. Though my diploma is complete now, I am driving it for fun and using it to introduce interested people to basics of a car like the layout, Mc-Pherson's, rack n pinion etc.
It is equiped with 173cc, 4-stroke, air cooled engine. The top speed is 50kmph. Its fun to drive it around since it completely naked. I might be putting up a basic body for it in future.
Attached Thumbnails
Made a car out of scrap-210520102308p-copy.jpg  

Made a car out of scrap-dsc02126.jpg  

Made a car out of scrap-dsc02149.jpg  

Made a car out of scrap-dsc02146.jpg  

Made a car out of scrap-tejas_ingle_zigwheels.jpg  

Made a car out of scrap-dsc02166.jpg  

Tejas Ingle is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th January 2011, 03:58   #2
BHPian

Re: Made a car out of scrap

Good Job mate. If im not mistaken thats an autorickshaw engine? Yes a basic body kit would make it look like a car, get one ASAP.
Old 17th January 2011, 04:05   #3

You are from COEP arent you? You should take part in Baja SAE then.
Old 17th January 2011, 04:25   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good job. The entire front suspension looks like a transplant from Maruti 800?
Old 17th January 2011, 04:56   #5
BHPian

LOL

This car costed you guys 90000/-

This just goes to show how costs involved are raked up in India significantly.

It certainly goes to show why the Tata Nano is the Best VFM Car in the world.

btw Please change the tyres to ones that have tread as it is dangerous to drive at 50 kmph on bald tyres. :(

Last edited by supercars : 17th January 2011 at 04:58. Reason: Just observed
Old 17th January 2011, 11:45   #6
BHPian

Good effort Tejas!

Which hybrid layout were you planning to use and how were you planning to couple the electric and IC engine outputs to the wheels?
Since your motor is in the rear, I am assuming you would have gone for the parallel hybrid configuration. In that case, would it not be better to use an engine with auto transmission box for the purpose?

Also do you mind sharing the details of cost split-up .
Old 17th January 2011, 11:51   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrus43 View Post
You are from COEP arent you? You should take part in Baja SAE then.
I had made the car when I was doing diploma in Mech Engg. in Bharati Vidyapeeth. Now I am doing 'Advanced Diploma in Automotive Mechatronics' In Govt Polytechnic Pune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripper View Post
Good Job mate. If im not mistaken thats an autorickshaw engine? Yes a basic body kit would make it look like a car, get one ASAP.
Yes. That is rickshaw 4-stroke engine.
Finance is the main problem. I also want to complete the hybrid project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Good job. The entire front suspension looks like a transplant from Maruti 800?
The steering system is from the 800 with a few minor modifications. The wheel hubs too are from the 800. The shock absorbers and the springs are from rickshaw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supercars View Post
LOL

This car costed you guys 90000/-

This just goes to show how costs involved are raked up in India significantly.

It certainly goes to show why the Tata Nano is the Best VFM Car in the world.

btw Please change the tyres to ones that have tread as it is dangerous to drive at 50 kmph on bald tyres. :(
The cost of the car running on petrol was about 50,000 bucks. The other 40,000 was required to convert it to hybrid. Imported stuff made it costly.
I will be changing the tyres soon and will also be doing some body work for the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushikr View Post
Good effort Tejas!

Which hybrid layout were you planning to use and how were you planning to couple the electric and IC engine outputs to the wheels?
Since your motor is in the rear, I am assuming you would have gone for the parallel hybrid configuration. In that case, would it not be better to use an engine with auto transmission box for the purpose?

Also do you mind sharing the details of cost split-up .
I am using the series layout. The electric motor will be used to assist the engine. Thus increasing power and reducing consumption.
Is ther any auto transmission gearbox available to transmit such a small torque? I did not come accross any.

It took around 50,000 to build up the car, out of which the engine cost me around 7,000. Got the engine overhauled for another 2. The motor and the Controller cast Rs 17,000 each. Putting that together cost me a total of 90 grands.

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th January 2011 at 13:24. Reason: Many back to back posts. Wait for 20 mins before posting or use EDIT button. Next time will attract infraction. Thanks
Old 17th January 2011, 12:30   #8
Senior - BHPian

Good job on the build. U must get the feeling of what man must have felt, when the first car was built

Instead of putting a body on it, you can mod it in such a way to resmble a dune buggy / kart
Old 17th January 2011, 12:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Good to see such enthusiasm and drive to build a car from scratch. I'm sure you're proud of it.

At a minimum,please put a rollcage behind the seats and something to protect the engine. this will enhance the safety of your car.

cheers!
Old 17th January 2011, 12:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Good job on the build. U must get the feeling of what man must have felt, when the first car was built

Instead of putting a body on it, you can mod it in such a way to resmble a dune buggy / kart
Yup. The feeling when I drove the car for the first time was out of the world!
I will be putting a very basic body on the car. There will also be lights. I already have a horn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Good to see such enthusiasm and drive to build a car from scratch. I'm sure you're proud of it.

At a minimum,please put a rollcage behind the seats and something to protect the engine. this will enhance the safety of your car.

cheers!
Point taken. I will be doing it along with the body work.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th January 2011 at 12:54. Reason: Back to back posts, please use multi quote (Quote +) instead. Thanks
Old 17th January 2011, 12:48   #11
BHPian

Very interesting. A 'polished' version, with a body, can be a good two seater car option, even an open top !

Btw - kitna deti hai ?
Old 17th January 2011, 12:49   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Very interesting. A 'polished' version, with a body, can be a good two seater car option, even an open top !

Btw - kitna deti hai ?
25 deti hai
Thinking of convertible...
Old 17th January 2011, 13:01   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
I am using the series layout. The electric motor will be used to assist the engine. Thus increasing power and reducing consumption.
Is ther any auto transmission gearbox available to transmit such a small torque? I did not come accross any.

It took around 50,000 to build up the car, out of which the engine cost me around 7,000. Got the engine overhauled for another 2. The motor and the Controller cast Rs 17,000 each. Putting that together cost me a total of 90 grands.
Thanks for the cost break up. Would love to know what controller and motor you're using. Should probably just ask for a copy of your project report .

The electric motor assisting the engine should be a parallel layout. The series layout is where the engine is recharging the battery and electric motors alone drive the wheels.

Off the top of my head, I can think of the Kinetic Blaze which had a similar output characteristic while using an auto box. Did you try for parts of that?
Old 17th January 2011, 14:13   #14
BHPian

Sorry, my mistake. Its parallel.
I am using a 1.1KW, 24V A.C. motor. This motor is used for material handling in industries. The controller is 400 amp speed controller for the motor.

I'll have to buy a brand new Blaze gearbox which goes out of budget. Also, it has no reverse.
Old 17th January 2011, 15:48   #15
Senior - BHPian

Keep it naked; will retain the charm and not look like those pieces of junk churned out by stupid bodykit builders.

Good job on the build. Any reason why you didn't go with a double wishbone setup on the front and rear? Makes it easier to tinker with the suspension. Also, that "petrol tank" is a huge fire hazard, make sure to change it to something much more safer man. In my honest and uneducated opinion, it was wrong to weld the whole frame if you are planning to make changes. Changing the motor/engine and other peripherals will require new mounting points and making the frame in pieces, then fastening them with high grade fasteners would've kept your options a lot more open instead of having to cut and weld new parts. Then again, you're the one who made it, so kudos. And get a harness or seatbelt to protect yourself

Most Viewed