Team-BHP - My Quest for a "FAST" car!! B16 Honda City
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   My Quest for a "FAST" car!! B16 Honda City (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/95570-my-quest-fast-car-b16-honda-city.html)

Being driving my civic for almost 2 and a half years now, the feel for more power was starting to get over my head. After looking into various options available in the market in terms of selling this and buying something new, I was not to convinced. The only cars I could understand beyond this were a Accord V6 or a BMW 330i, I have some sorts of disliking for diesel cars, they are good A to B transport cars, The Ford Fiesta D and a BMW 530D seving the family do their job great but when you get down to driving them I dont understand them at all.

So with the new options way out of my budget, I started of thinking what can be done to this civic, options were A engine Swap or going FI, I was inclined on getting a swap done a whole K20 Type-R in it, saw the costs involved and they were feasible but then this Civic is my daily drive, with I have being sold my swift, this was the only car I have for my daily arounds, and swap means it cannot be as reliable as a stock car is, So I scrapped this idea and started thinking of buying another car and making it my fun car.

Now with this decided the option was what?? The simplest was a Zen, I have a old zen with me which nobody uses, perfect for my project, but then Zen is small ( Well for me it is :D ) and moreover my close friend sam_786 has a full blown e-Zen with hime so this was out of the box, Swift was the other option, Getting a Baleno engine in it and the works but I was again not very keen on this, Honda I want a Honda. I love my civic and I want something similar, I zeroed in on the B16 Swap in the Honda Civic, With Ford Rocams and Viper's car successfully running such swaps I had enough information on this.

So This thread covers the build on my Honda City, all progress,pics everything to follow!!

The Car!!

So with the Honda City decided, The quest for finding a nice clean car started, Since I was getting the swap done I was on a look out for a Type-2 Honda City, VTEC or not did not matter as swap was confirmed. Searched around the market but could not find anything worth picking up. Cars were either in very bad condition or people asking too much money. Honda Resale value I got to know then, as this was my first used car purchase, I was unware on the procdures to follow and hence could not find anything.

Searched around TBHP market place, but nothing interesting available there also, Then once day my phone rand, It was Phil ( more on him later ), Phil was doing this project for me so I had told him to find me a car, after I tried everything for over a month, he called said come fast I have a car for you. Rushed to the spot, he took me with him and I saw the car, This was probably the most CLEAN OHC i have ever seen. A 2003 VTEC, done 78000 KM(s) with full service history and everything. I had made up my mind on buying this, confirmed it, Phil was nice to get all paper work sorted and next day I had the car with me.

Some pics of the car attached.

The Choice for the tuner!!

Now this Swap is not something very easy, its a complex job and the choice of the tuner was very important in this. Unfortunately here in North India the choice is limited infact next to zero, being following the scene here closely I was not convinced on any of the options here.

So the next option was sending the car down South to Bombay/Banglore but then I was not convinced on this either as I wanted to see what was happening on the car and see the build in front of eyes, plus the question of after-service support kept worrying me, the car can be done and send back to me, but what if it develops a problem, I cant keep sending the car again and again for small works, so the tuner had to be locally placed.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...f10a-swap.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...et-rocket.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...imate-zen.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...rt-stable.html

Then came into picture Mr Phil from speedsport, I knew him and he was from the first day somebody who knew what he was talking not like the other tuners in Delhi who had installed turbo which could be deactivated on will or tuners who claim installing a Intake charger or volt stabilizer gives more gain than a Header job. And with the cars in the above thread, I knew he was the man I was looking for. The M800 and Zen belong to very close friends and I had seen their builds through and through and are some very rocking cars. Phil had installed NOS in my civic which ran successfully also. Plus he had sources to source me the engine and all parts for my project. One stop for all my problems.

So here I present My "TWEAKED" B16 Honda City. God knows what he tweaks but it surely does wonders.

I had placed the order for My engine and rest of the parts with Phil, as this was happening Redline 2 2010, drag event was coming up in Greater Noida, With the event scene here in North India very limted, this was probably the only Drag event we have here.

I had the NOS Kit I which I had installed on my civic lieing spare with me, I asked what can we do with the kit on this City. Phil had a evil grin and told me to drop the car. Since I had everything with me, I thought it was no harm in giving this a try. Dropped the car with phil, Dropped the bottle for refilling, and I got busy in the preparations of the event, I was also involved in event.

Since it was a two day event, after finishing day one I rushed to phils workshop to pick the car up. As I reach, I see the car parked in one corner, I saw everything like it was when I dropped the car, I remember in my civic, The bottle was mounted after removing the passenger seat, but here I could see all four seats in place, asked Phil where is the bottle, He told me open the boot, opened the boot and saw it nicely placed hiding away from the attention. Nobody could make out anything as everything was stock, only 15" rims on it.

Anyways he takes me out for a drive, as soon as we hit the road, we wait for the road to clear up, Phil takes a launch and after hitting 4000 RPM, hits NOS button, I could not believe my eyes, the engine note changed and there was wheel spin all the way till the rev limit, changed into second violent wheel spin and in notime we were hitting the rev limit again. IT was crazy, Phil told me one thing " Launch properly You will win tomorrow ". When I asked him the shot, he smiled as said thats none of your convern.

The next day at the event, The Car taken on A accord with HEaders and intake and defeats it with almost 3 car lengths, beats a remapped 320D, in the end of the day is the fastest car on the track, comes back undefeated. So much already and I am on the stock engine only. This was getting exciting even before things had started.

Hi Bro,

First of all i would like to congratulate you on your "super-car"build clap:
Loved the clean write-up. Certainly worth an applause for the efforts
put to build the car and i am glad being a proud owner of a OHC that
you zeroed in on the same car to achieve the desired results out of
a swap. OHC indeed is a legend and is in its own league altogether.
Everytime i drive i feel it delivers some magic to bring a big smile
on my face while i see the other cars following me disappear in the
front mirror view.

For sure the build would have cost a bomb but i bet its worth every
penny.
HAPPY REVVING.

Cheers,
Ayyappan

Congratulations Manan on this "project" !! So finally the cat is out of the bag eh ?? All the best for the project. The engine note sounded good - though we just heard it for a very short time.

All the goodies lined up in Phil's office tell me this is going to be quite a build !

All the best, would look forward to seeing the car completed. Kudos to you for taking this up & to Phil who is consistently upping the ante !!

Way to go guys !!

Cheers

Super , you got a very good tuner .Nice log , do post what happened after NOS :D .Drive safe .

I think a trip up north to meet this elusive 'Phil' is in Order. :D BEen hearing great things about him and his projects are notable. Good. Atleast we now know that there is someone up there who can do a fantastic job.

B16!!hmmmm! Im glued to this thread now! let's hear about it. Where are the pics?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrus43 (Post 2220229)
I think a trip up north to meet this elusive 'Phil' is in Order. :D BEen hearing great things about him and his projects are notable. Good. Atleast we now know that there is someone up there who can do a fantastic job.

LOL So now our Enigmatic Phil is getting an "image" :cool:

BTW Manan what size of Advans are you running ? 17's I think but what size ?

Cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honda_Power (Post 2219440)
Hi Bro,

First of all i would like to congratulate you on your "super-car"build clap:
Loved the clean write-up. Certainly worth an applause for the efforts
put to build the car and i am glad being a proud owner of a OHC that
you zeroed in on the same car to achieve the desired results out of
a swap. OHC indeed is a legend and is in its own league altogether.
Everytime i drive i feel it delivers some magic to bring a big smile
on my face while i see the other cars following me disappear in the
front mirror view.

For sure the build would have cost a bomb but i bet its worth every
penny.
HAPPY REVVING.

Cheers,
Ayyappan

Thanks Ayyappan, I agree on that the OHC is a one hell of a car for sure, even in stock form I would this car above my civic anyday. The way it drives and the way you connect with it is something new generation cars cannot offer. Cost a nuclear bomb actually :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky_63 (Post 2219455)
Congratulations Manan on this "project" !! So finally the cat is out of the bag eh ?? All the best for the project. The engine note sounded good - though we just heard it for a very short time.

All the goodies lined up in Phil's office tell me this is going to be quite a build !

All the best, would look forward to seeing the car completed. Kudos to you for taking this up & to Phil who is consistently upping the ante !!

Way to go guys !!

Cheers

Thank you Sir, If it was not for Phil I would have not even thought on these lines.

Quote:

Originally Posted by black12rr (Post 2219620)
Super , you got a very good tuner .Nice log , do post what happened after NOS :D .Drive safe .

I know, Post NOS the engine was stripped and we sprayed NOS.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrus43 (Post 2220229)

Cant agree with you more on this, Phil is the only guy here up north, Thank God.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ssjr0498 (Post 2220240)
B16!!hmmmm! Im glued to this thread now! let's hear about it. Where are the pics?

Loads to come, Stay tuned.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricky_63 (Post 2220287)
LOL So now our Enigmatic Phil is getting an "image" :cool:

BTW Manan what size of Advans are you running ? 17's I think but what size ?

Cheers

These are 15" Momo Ten-S rims with 195/55/15 AD07 Neovas, not running 17".

So post redline, My Bag full of goodies arrived and it was one BIG bag, I shall be updating everything part wise.

I will start by the suspension, I was running this suspension on Redline event also, You can notice the ride height is much lower than stock. The suspension I am running on this is a full coil over setup Height adjustable by GAB. Its a Auto Valving setup means it adjusts stiffness according to the road conditions and other parameters.

The car became super stable after the suspension install, OHC being a light car never felt very stable on high speeds, but once this was installed and Phil adjusted the ride height, all of this disappeared. The car handled like a charm and since it was auto valving, if you drive normally its not too stiff either. It changed the character of the car altogether.

Rims as you have noticed are Momo Ten-S Silver 15", These were on my Swift so decided to shift to this. Tires are 195/55/15 AD07 Neovas, This deserves nothing other than this.

Nice project! What are you doing with the original engine?:D

Are you able to get good B16s with low kms?

I am hooked. Nice thread and I love anything to do with Petrol mods and about time this year, that a fresh build has come up. Was getting a bit bored actually

Do share a breakup of the cost. What did the suspension setup amount to.