Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2011, 13:19   #1
BHPian

Decorating my Car for a Marriage function

@Mods: I couldnt find a thread on this topic so I'm starting one. If inappropriate, then pease shift it to its relevant thread.

I want to decorate my Magnum for a marriage function in 4 weeks. These decorators use different types of glues, tapes, threads and other things to decorate the car.

The last time we decorated another car a few years ago, the decorator used two sided foam tape to fix the bundle of flowers (thats the best would I could use) onto the roof and the boot lid. This tape took some effort to come off. Some portions were still there which worsened with exposure to dust and sun.

I have maintated my car like my baby and have spent a lot of effort and sweat to maintain it that way (Have a look at my garage and you would konw what I mean).

Does anyone konw what products the decoratos use these days? What are the prodcts that should be avoided. Any other recommendation and tips please.
Old 26th February 2011, 15:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Decorating my Car for a Marriage function

You obviously take good care of your car. And are squirming at the idea of what in the world these decorator guys are going to do to her. What i suggest is that if it does NOT have to be your car, why not hire a magnum or similar(maybe even a bmw/merc etc) get her all decorated and use it for the wedding. Problemo solved.
Old 26th February 2011, 15:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Don't decorate your completely. We usually keep two big bundle of flowers in bonnet and boot with vacuum pot which can be removed without any damage to the paint.
Old 26th February 2011, 16:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

^ yes, the best way is to ONLY decorate the hood and may be one more bundle at the back, and not more than that. Another good idea is to write the name of the bride and groom on the number plate, I have seen this in Germany once:

Decorating my Car for a Marriage function-photo0013.jpg
Ain't that different!

I had trouble removing the glue from my car's bonnet. I should have removed it myself with some oil or something but I gave it to service and they scratched the surface badly. So, clean your car yourself after all that!!

Last edited by clevermax : 26th February 2011 at 16:28.
clevermax is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2011, 16:34   #5
BANNED

I dont think there should be any problem. Just make sure you supervise the people when they are decorating the car. After the wedding function is over and to get rid of the tape, glue etc marks, just take the car to the service center and get it waxed and polished. It will look better than before
A nice waxing and polishing job wont cost more than 2.5k.
PS- The above audi looks pretty good. Try something like that

Last edited by DMehta : 26th February 2011 at 16:35.
Old 26th February 2011, 18:05   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Don't decorate your completely. We usually keep two big bundle of flowers in bonnet and boot with vacuum pot which can be removed without any damage to the paint.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
^ yes, the best way is to ONLY decorate the hood and may be one more bundle at the back, and not more than that. Another good idea is to write the name of the bride and groom on the number plate, I have seen this in Germany once
As mentioned above, the car will look real nice with just one arrangement in the bonnet. Fix it with vacuum stickers. It should not be a prob to remove it. Also, if you need more, just stick single roses along the side of the car, with normal cello tape. It should be easy to remove.

Just be sure, you are in an around your car while decorating, and while they remove it.

Here's my car decorated for a cousin's marriage.

Decorating my Car for a Marriage function-car.jpg
Old 26th February 2011, 18:45   #7
BANNED

I am not very impressed the way people (mostly professional) decorate their cars from the safety PoV. The rear glass is fully blocked with flowers and names of the bride & groom.

I did a DIY decoration for couple of close relatives' functions. It was no where close to the things professional decorators do; but the flowers, and more importantly, glue marks were gone with a plain water wash. And driver visibility was not reduced (both marriages involved driving quite a bit on the highways).

A large number of flowers, each individually taped on the hood aka bonnet = to look like a boquet.

Few (4-5) flowers on each doors, each individually taped, but close to look like a small boquet.

Similar work on 2 places - top extreme right and left on rear window, and I was done.

Added a 2 feet garland on the front grille.

Used plain cellophane (transparent) tape from my office for the job. At end of the day, couple of flowers were gone; but then, who cares about the flowers when importance was to driving visibility?
Old 26th February 2011, 20:49   #8
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Any of the gummy residue left behind from the tapes can be easily cleaned with detailing clay, without leaving any scratches !

Find a good detailer in your area (3M authorised, carz spa, etc) & take the car to them post your function !
Old 26th February 2011, 21:27   #9
BHPian

I saw a car decorated with all artifical flowers in taiwan . I mean the ones nowdays most of the gift shops use on top while packing a gift .(pull a thread/ribbon , and it comes out in a shape of flower)
Its cheap , can be DIY , uses only a single tape and looks cool too ! ..just go to your nearest archies or other big gift store and ask them for it . it will take only 15-20 min to do it yourself . and if u want just add 1 or 2 big bouquets to it ..
Old 27th February 2011, 10:55   #10
BHPian

Thank you everybody for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
...... why not hire a magnum or similar(maybe even a bmw/merc etc) get her all decorated and use it for the wedding. Problemo solved.
Well, I would love to stick to my Magnum but I'll keep your advice in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Quote:
^ yes, the best way is to ONLY decorate the hood and may be one more bundle at the back, and not more than that. Another good idea is to write the name of the bride and groom on the number plate, I have seen this in Germany once:

Ain't that different!

I had trouble removing the glue from my car's bonnet. I should have removed it myself with some oil or something but I gave it to service and they scratched the surface badly. So, clean your car yourself after all that!!
The Audi looks really nice. I think I'll do something like that. A bundle on the hood and one on the bootlid. The light decoration brings out the beauty of the car and the decoration. Vaccum pads should be harmless and I want to avoid glueing as much as possible.

Quote:
Another good idea is to write the name of the bride and groom on the number plate, I have seen this in Germany once
Names on the number plates! Nice idea. hmmm will think about that. But would that be no problem with the cops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMehta View Post
I dont think there should be any problem. Just make sure you supervise the people when they are decorating the car. After the wedding function is over and to get rid of the tape, glue etc marks, just take the car to the service center and get it waxed and polished. It will look better than before
A nice waxing and polishing job wont cost more than 2.5k.
PS- The above audi looks pretty good. Try something like that
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
As mentioned above, the car will look real nice with just one arrangement in the bonnet. Fix it with vacuum stickers. It should not be a prob to remove it. Also, if you need more, just stick single roses along the side of the car, with normal cello tape. It should be easy to remove.

Just be sure, you are in an around your car while decorating, and while they remove it.

Here's my car decorated for a cousin's marriage.
I will make sure that the car is decorated in my presence. Would want to avoid tapes. Vaccum pads with light decoration is what I feel would go best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
I am not very impressed the way people (mostly professional) decorate their cars from the safety PoV. The rear glass is fully blocked with flowers and names of the bride & groom.

I did a DIY decoration for couple of close relatives' functions. It was no where close to the things professional decorators do; but the flowers, and more importantly, glue marks were gone with a plain water wash. And driver visibility was not reduced (both marriages involved driving quite a bit on the highways).

A large number of flowers, each individually taped on the hood aka bonnet = to look like a boquet.

Few (4-5) flowers on each doors, each individually taped, but close to look like a small boquet.

Similar work on 2 places - top extreme right and left on rear window, and I was done.

Added a 2 feet garland on the front grille.

Used plain cellophane (transparent) tape from my office for the job. At end of the day, couple of flowers were gone; but then, who cares about the flowers when importance was to driving visibility?
Agreed totally. Nothing at the cost of safety or driver visibilty. As mentioned, I will avoid heavy decoration. DIY seems to be a good idea as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirmaljusdoit View Post
Any of the gummy residue left behind from the tapes can be easily cleaned with detailing clay, without leaving any scratches !

Find a good detailer in your area (3M authorised, carz spa, etc) & take the car to them post your function !
Nirmal, I knew you would post something like this. I know your obsession about car detailing on the other thread. Are you sure that clay will clean up the gummy residue? I was thinking of a diesel wash but that would also wash away the wax totally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Vikas View Post
Hi all,
My New Fabia was decorated for the marriage of a relative of mine .....................Here is the snap:

Thanks & regards,
Cant see the pic doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSing View Post
I saw a car decorated with all artifical flowers in taiwan ...... Its cheap , can be DIY , uses only a single tape and looks cool too ! ..just go to your nearest archies or other big gift store and ask them for it......
Will check it out.
Old 27th February 2011, 17:33   #11
BHPian

benzinblut,

here is a picture of car decoration on my sister's wedding. There were 2 bouquets, one on the hood and the other on boot lid. The decorator used some kind of a spongy block half size of a brick and planted/pasted the flowers into the block. The block had vacuum suction cups at the base to hold onto the hood.

Decorating my Car for a Marriage function-img_6174.jpg

There were no scratches/marks after the bouquets were removed. I used a wet cloth to remove the dust gathered.

Thanks,
Jose.
Old 27th February 2011, 18:03   #12
BHPian

For my brothers wedding, we decorated my cousins car with a simple, but elegant, S curve of flowers running down the entire length of the car from the bonnet to the boot. The florists use double sided tape, and it comes off easily with a rag dipped in diesel. Avoid using cello tape, as it is difficult to remove. Also avoid using any sharp tools to remove the tape. If the glue is stubborn, just wet it with a cloth dipped in diesel and let it stand for a while. It will come off easily. Just give your car a good wash and a wax polish later, and she will be as good as new.
Attached Thumbnails
Decorating my Car for a Marriage function-mercwedding.jpg  

Old 27th February 2011, 18:08   #13
BANNED

The above design on the merc looks nice and elegant. Like newcoolgadgets and i mentioned earlier, a wax and polish job will remove all the glue and tape stains.
@benzinblut - Get the above design for your magnum and get it waxed and polished later.
Old 28th February 2011, 08:28   #14
BHPian

you can use 3M magic tape, it leaves very little residue.
and get hold of a can of 3M general purpose adhesive remover, its the best you can have with out affecting paint at all.
Old 28th February 2011, 10:56   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Here's my car for my wedding . No tapes used. They had used suction caps like the one in the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Decorating my Car for a Marriage function-mis115.jpg  

Decorating my Car for a Marriage function-img_8614.jpg  

naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks