Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2011, 23:28   #1
BHPian

Just had a Paintjob done. Carwash first or Rubbing?

Note to the Mods: Tried searching but did not find anything relevant. Please move/merge if something else of this sort exists.

I just came back from a harrowing time at Carnation Gurgaon (Would be updating the details on the Carnation Snapdeal Vouchers thread soon). In short, they scratched my car and repaired it as well. The whole rear quarter panel was repainted. They have asked me to bring it in for rubbing in a couple of days.

Now, the car was washed but it got real messy during the denting & repainting process. So, they offered to wash it again when I bring it in for the rubbing.

Now, my question is, should I be asking them to do the rubbing first and then wash the car or is it OK to wash the car before rubbing? Also, they offered to do a whole body rubbing and polishing free of cost. Should I avail this option? Is there any harm in doing so?

Please advise.
Old 27th February 2011, 23:35   #2
BHPian

Re: Just had a Paintjob done. Carwash first or Rubbing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
Note to the Mods: Tried searching but did not find anything relevant. Please move/merge if something else of this sort exists.

I just came back from a harrowing time at Carnation Gurgaon (Would be updating the details on the Carnation Snapdeal Vouchers thread soon). In short, they scratched my car and repaired it as well. The whole rear quarter panel was repainted. They have asked me to bring it in for rubbing in a couple of days.

Now, the car was washed but it got real messy during the denting & repainting process. So, they offered to wash it again when I bring it in for the rubbing.

Now, my question is, should I be asking them to do the rubbing first and then wash the car or is it OK to wash the car before rubbing? Also, they offered to do a whole body rubbing and polishing free of cost. Should I avail this option? Is there any harm in doing so?

Please advise.
As far as i know, Polishing should not be done for newly painted surface, Normal process is wash the car and do polishing.
Old 27th February 2011, 23:40   #3
BHPian

Is it so? I thought you need to get the car rubbed & polished after a paintjob. In fact, on two earlier occasions and both from different garages, I was asked to bring the car back after a couple of days for the rubbing & polishing routine. I was told something like "This is what will bring out the gloss/finish/shine."
Old 28th February 2011, 08:21   #4
BHPian

well the reason they have asked you to come back for a rubbing session is to allow the paint to cure fully before any detailing job on it.
You need to take care not to park your car under the hot sun or to wash it with a dirty cloth or using a bucket, you will end up with lots of micro surface defects.

A wash is always the first thing before rubbing!!

cheers, Gopa 3M
Old 28th February 2011, 08:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

Well rubbing and polishing is done post painting on NC paints and not 2k ones (new gen. cars have this type of finish). I think they painted the panel using the former type of paint. Although 2K paints too are treated with finishing compound. Hope they used 2K paint which includes a layer of clearcoat paint which itself brings all the gloss and shine so no rubbing is required & when the paint is completely dry (drying time a month or so for the paint to outgas) then a good polish is applied.

As far as the procedure is concerned car is washed/cleaned before applying any sort of finishing compound. BTW can we have some pics of the repainted portion of the car along with the original shade.

Last edited by samsag12 : 28th February 2011 at 08:54.
Old 28th February 2011, 11:07   #6
BHPian

I really do not have any idea what paint they had used. It was spray painted in a booth which had Asian Paints and some EPCOAT stickers all over it.
Attached are the images of the original damage, and the work being done. I will post the image post the repainting in a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Just had a Paintjob done. Carwash first or Rubbing?-27022011304.jpg  

Just had a Paintjob done. Carwash first or Rubbing?-27022011307.jpg  

Old 28th February 2011, 13:16   #7
BHPian

This is the image post the work. Please advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Just had a Paintjob done. Carwash first or Rubbing?-28022011311.jpg  

Old 28th February 2011, 13:58   #8
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Sinner - I am guessing your quarter panel has been repainted with a base coat/clear coat combo ! If so then : - Fresh paint needs to be cured for atleast 30 days before any wax is applied. This is to ensure all the solvents evaporate & paint is fully cured. Rubbing & polishing can be done before wax is applied too. - Rubbing & polishing may be required to level the paint & remove sanding scratches if any. - Washing is very important to have a clean panel to work on before rubbing & polishing. Why are they talking about rubbing & polishing the whole body ? Do check if there is any paint overspray ? If so, can be safely removed with detailing clay.
Old 1st March 2011, 15:42   #9
BHPian

What I get from all your replies are that I should wait for at least a month before going for the rubbing/polishing routine. Wonder if they would even remember my car and this incident by then. Looks like I would have to get it done from outside then.
Old 1st March 2011, 17:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

^ Nirmal is correct!!

After a repaint and drying for about a day, it undergoes wetsanding > compounding to remove the orange peel texture on the surface of the repainted part!

After that you can use a bodyshop safe glaze on the repainted parts for gloss. Glaze doesn't interfere with paint curing! + it makes up for (our hunger for)gloss and hides minor swirls and imperfections!

btw if they are using a rotary polisher with a wool pad and telling you that they'll go over whole of the car's paint, deny straight off!!!

all he's gonna do is swirl up whole of your car!! limit him to the repainted panel only!
Old 2nd March 2011, 00:05   #11
Senior - BHPian

Sinner666
Did carnation damage your ride? Please post about it.
I see the tail light has a small crack. And even in the second picture it has not been fixed. If carnation is responsible for this then please ask them to replace it for you.
Old 2nd March 2011, 14:14   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Sinner666
Did carnation damage your ride? Please post about it.
I see the tail light has a small crack. And even in the second picture it has not been fixed. If carnation is responsible for this then please ask them to replace it for you.
I just posted about it in the Carnation thread.
No, the tailight had a crack earlier, though I must admit I was highly tempted to blame it on them & make them replace it.

Most Viewed