Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2011, 13:04   #1

Red Rooster Power Drive for my Fiat Palio 1.6 - Advise and opinions sought

I am planning to go in for the Powerdrive Upgrade (REDROOSTER PERFORMANCE)
from Red Rooster performance for my Fiat Palio 1.6. (Stile)

Current status of my car:
- almost 4 years old
- K&N Stock replacement filter
- Bigger (195/60) Bridgestone tyres

I am seeking opinions and advise on the following points:

- The package costs around 35 k, is the upgrade worth the money?

- As part of the intake they recommend BMC Cold air intakes and not the conical filters - is the CDA better than the Conical filter (say K&N Typhoon)?

- The intake modification kit consits of the BMC DIA as specified on the website. But i would like the CDA instead, would it be worth paying extra for the CDA in lieu of the DIA?

- They also throw in a TurboSmart fuel pressure regulator as part of the package. Would this be necessary and why?

- As far as the headers go, I am planning to ask them for increased low-end (if customization is an option, not sure if it is a standard kit?), thoughts?

- Last but not the least, has anyone got this modification done at Red Rooster (especially for a Palio 1.6)? If yes how was the experience and do you recommend it?

Apart from the above kit, I also find that my clutch is wearing out and might need a replacement soon, apart from the the standard replacement from Fiat are there any other performance clutches that I can install for my car?

Any advise on how to improve braking on my Palio (Especially with the addition of a small number of horses ).

Please help by providing your valuable feedback.
Old 16th March 2011, 14:25   #2
BHPian

Re: Red Rooster Power Drive for my Fiat Palio 1.6 - Advise and opinions sought

Hey @Girileo -
Check out this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...+brake+upgrade for upgrading Palio's brakes. I have done it successfully by replacing the stock ones with bigger discs (Adventure 257mm), calipers and brake pads. Read the last 2-3 pages where I have posted it. The braking has improved a lot.
Will cost you around 10K.

Do think twice before going in for performance modifications. These modifications will give you a 5-7% gain (I guess), but the sound will be awesome as well.
Go through the thread "Dude I bolted on 25 BHP" here on TBHP itself.
You may want to look at other tuners packages to do a cost comparo.

I would advise a remap if you plan to spend that kind of money.

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 16th March 2011, 14:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

just for the bang for buck, do only the freeflow. Keep your stock replacement filter. Rest all marketing stuff. If i were you, never go for a 'package'. This is where they can cramp in some unnecessary stuff.
Old 17th March 2011, 01:11   #4
BHPian

Girileo, I considered this package from RRP for my Fiesta 1.6 and then decided to only go with what I really want. I would recommend a step by step process so that you really get to 'know' the difference at each level. Mind you, without a dyno, this is just seat of pants feeling.
The BMC DIA, if installed correctly, is a good option for you - it improves low end grunt if you use the right length of intake piping. The CDA, IMHO, is not worth the extra money. It's a steep amount just for the Carbon Fibre body. Stick to the DIA.
Once you get this done, drive around for a few weeks, see if you feel a considerable difference in low end and if you still want more punch there, go get headers+ffe done with specific request for a strong low end. You can definitely skip the fuel pressure regulator at this stage.
Old 17th March 2011, 01:29   #5
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
just for the bang for buck, do only the freeflow. Keep your stock replacement filter. Rest all marketing stuff. If i were you, never go for a 'package'. This is where they can cramp in some unnecessary stuff.
Best on the 1.6 Fiat lump is a re-map when talking in terms for bang for bucks. And I mean re-map not bodge map or tuning box.

When packages are designed then they are not a marketing gimmick. This applies only to companies that throw packages together.

A proper tuning company provides re-maps optimised for the performance packages.

Some of the typhoons actually are quite good. And this comes from someone who is not in love with K&N.

And what is a FE. The word free flowing exhaust is technically a meaningless phrase. Every system has got to be calculated and what the user can chose is the peak power point and then with the capacity of the individual cylinder as well as cam parameters, cylinder configuration (boxer, V, straigh, V angle, port types etc) number of cylinders the system can be calculated. The lower the peak power point (rpm point) the smaller the pipes. But they have to be in the right relation (primary, secondary and collector)

If you want to build a 'real free flowing' exhaust you will get extremely poor performance.

The best flowing filters are open twin cone filters. But there is differences between the filters, which are physical differences that might not look any different for the onlloker, but the professional will see the difference.

The CDA would be my last choice. I prefer the DIA. But then I would rather go for an open cone filter. The DIA and even more so the CDA is tric ky to get working well.

The corrugated pipe, which is in the BMC boxes are only good for the bin. To get a proper performance improvement adequate piping is needed. Unfortunately the Palio 1.6 engine bay is not an easy one to make gians. But it is possible to make some substantial gains.

Regarding the fuel pressure regulator: Leave your hands of it. There is no need for the fuel pressure regulator. First of all the Palio has got a fuel that is vacuum controlled. Changing it would mess up low rpm running and also the ECU would have to constantly even out the fuel pressure changes of the pump fluctuation, which might lead to some running problems.
CPH is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th March 2011, 01:30   #6
BHPian

Hi Girileo,

I would suggest you go in for the FFE at this stage. I agree with niranjanrvce on this.
Going step-by-step should give you a good idea of what is actually working for you.
I have heard of a fellow called Raj who is supposed to be good with FFE's in Bangalore. Or you can ask Automech dealers in Bangalore to supply you an FFE kit brought in from Mumbai. This should cost you around 6-8k after installation. Do inform them about your need for low-end torque.
If you do feel the need, change from K&N stock replacement to Conical. This should help up the levels of power, along with a nice exhaust note.

Cheers and drive safe.
Sam
samarth.bhatia is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2011, 01:43   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
The corrugated pipe, which is in the BMC boxes are only good for the bin. To get a proper performance improvement adequate piping is needed.
Peter, If he is getting this done at RRP, they use those silicon tubes and they are pretty good. Only problem might be getting a tube that matches the Palio's TB.
Old 17th March 2011, 01:50   #8
CPH
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Peter, If he is getting this done at RRP, they use those silicon tubes and they are pretty good. Only problem might be getting a tube that matches the Palio's TB.
The Palio 1.6 is a very difficult one. It needs a lot of length as otherwise the engine looses a lot of torque potential. I spend by now quite a while on the Palio and am not there as yet. Getting the filter and the throttle body linked for the filter sitting in the best place in the Palio for performance is very hard. For this they would have to make quite some hose, which means it would have to be made specifically for the Palio 1.6.
Old 17th March 2011, 11:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girileo81 View Post
I am planning to go in for the Powerdrive Upgrade (REDROOSTER PERFORMANCE)
from Red Rooster performance for my Fiat Palio 1.6. (Stile)

Any advise on how to improve braking on my Palio (Especially with the addition of a small number of horses ).

Please help by providing your valuable feedback.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustubh_vaze View Post
Hey @Girileo -
Check out this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...+brake+upgrade for upgrading Palio's brakes. I have done it successfully by replacing the stock ones with bigger discs (Adventure 257mm), calipers and brake pads. Read the last 2-3 pages where I have posted it. The braking has improved a lot.
Will cost you around 10K.

Regards,
Kaustubh
Giri,
I have followed kaustubhs's thread and am keen for this upgrade first (safety first as this baby doesnt have ABS or airbags!)
I am keen for a FFE designed to increase low end grunt and will surely follow your reports on your upgrades.
If RRP can help with brake improvement as described by Kaustabh, I am willing to go for this as well! Do let me know if you're interested.
thanks
Old 17th March 2011, 11:10   #10
BHPian

You may need to go to an independent mechanic or the A.S.S can also source the parts for you. No change required anywhere else. Just the discs, the callipers and pads. All other things are common in Advy and Palio 1.6. These fit pretty smugly on the Palio and work pretty well too. I am not sure if you get decent after market brakes specially made for Palio.

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 17th March 2011, 12:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

For just doing a remap, 35k is sufficient. For other things the package is useless. Given the options in the package, i will choose only the exhaust (if it is good). There is no remap option in the package. CPH i think this is not a custom designed palio package.
Old 17th March 2011, 15:16   #12
BHPian

Well for the cost, the package seems a bit costly. Plus there are some unnecessary items like the fuel pressure regulator.
35K for a remap also seems to be a bit on the higher side but that is what is the norm nowadays but it surely makes you think twice in terms of ROI.

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 18th March 2011, 21:19   #13
BHPian

I got the BMC DIA from RRP and am extremly happy with the performance. The reason the FPR is needed is that the DIA provides some much cold air to the engine, that with the stock pump you are unable to compensate with the fueling. Adding an FPR will ensure that you do not run too lean.

The good part of RRP is the work quality and Leela tuning your car himself....
Old 18th March 2011, 22:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
I got the BMC DIA from RRP and am extremly happy with the performance. The reason the FPR is needed is that the DIA provides some much cold air to the engine, that with the stock pump you are unable to compensate with the fueling. Adding an FPR will ensure that you do not run too lean.

The good part of RRP is the work quality and Leela tuning your car himself....
Hey what fuel pressure is your FPR set at?
Old 19th March 2011, 14:27   #15
BHPian

5 bar - maximum :( leela has thought of an option to reduce it but i need to find time to go there

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks