Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2011, 15:43   #1
BHPian

Sun film - A new kid on the block - Blaupunkt

Hi,

I had to go through the whole process of finding the right sun film for our new car. The previous car had a 3M Crystalline tint [I do not remember the tech specs] but this tint was not dark, even though it had a beautiful greenish blue tint and you could feel the bite of the sun in the peak summer heat of Hyderabad. So, the need of the hour was to find something dark and if possible better this time around.

The search began with all the brands I knew - 3M, Garware, Llumar, VKool etc., and Carryboy amongst the lesser known brands.

Surprisingly while searching for Llumar distributors on TBHP, I came across Mr. Ramesh Nagpal of Ambica Auto Agencies on Minister Road, Secunderabad. After a long chat on the phone along with reasons of why they had to part ways with Llumar he said he is now the distributor for - hang on to your glasses - Blaupunkt Sun Protection Films. He also said in one of their Artic series they had a film that cuts 99% Infra red radiation, which is not available in any other company. I told him my past experience with 3M CR tint and he advised me to come down to his store.

In the meanwhile, I had written to 3M India to find out if their Ceramic series was available here for which I received a negative reply. 3M might have lost an ardent fan here since 3M tint was in most of the cars we've owned in the past decade.

Was also looking for those reflective tints since the new car, a Toyota Fortuner had more glass surface. Had a dark reflective Garware tint done for our Grey Indica Vista which is very good but since the overall color had a greyish gold effect, I thought it would not be suitable on a white Fortuner.

So, after having gone through the blaupunkt website, which btw isn't much, I decided to go have a look. The only logic was a German company can't go wrong with its first product. And as with all purchases which are impulsive, I was driving back with Blapunkt SPF on my Fortuner. I do not have the specs off my head now but was impressed reading the specs at the store.

For the windshield I had gone with 99% IR cut called the A-70 [this btw is the ceramic technology]and for the rest its the G-20 film. Have been driving it in the 38+ degrees centigrade heat and have found it to be satisfying.

I'm sure that I'm among the first bhakra's of this brand and only time will tell if I have done a wise thing or not.

For all those checking out for sun films for their ride, this could be another option.

Happy driving!
Old 18th March 2011, 22:11   #2
BHPian

re: Sun film - A new kid on the block - Blaupunkt

How much did it cost for the sides/rear and for Front windshield? Can you post some specs, warranty and pics of the vehicle so it'll help others make their decision about this brand.
Old 22nd March 2011, 15:47   #3
BHPian

Re: Sun film - A new kid on the block - Blaupunkt

The Artic on the windshield cost 8k and the rest about 7.5k. It seems the Artic has the life time warranty and the rest a couple of years - I'm not very sure on this though. I thought I'll post some pics but I'll do it a bit later.

The look of the car is good and it has a slightly green tint in the sun.
Old 22nd March 2011, 23:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Had sent an inquiry to an e-mail address from their website, never heard from them. Wanted to check if there is some demo in Bangalore.
Old 16th May 2011, 15:02   #5
BHPian

where do we find more info? Any dealers in Mumbai?
Old 16th May 2011, 15:31   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmik View Post
Surprisingly while searching for Llumar distributors on TBHP, I came across Mr. Ramesh Nagpal of Ambica Auto Agencies on Minister Road, Secunderabad. After a long chat on the phone along with reasons of why they had to part ways with Llumar he said he is now the distributor for - hang on to your glasses - Blaupunkt Sun Protection Films. He also said in one of their Artic series they had a film that cuts 99% Infra red radiation, which is not available in any other company. I told him my past experience with 3M CR tint and he advised me to come down to his store.

So, after having gone through the blaupunkt website, which btw isn't much, I decided to go have a look. The only logic was a German company can't go wrong with its first product. And as with all purchases which are impulsive, I was driving back with Blapunkt SPF on my Fortuner. I do not have the specs off my head now but was impressed reading the specs at the store.

For the windshield I had gone with 99% IR cut called the A-70 [this btw is the ceramic technology]and for the rest its the G-20 film. Have been driving it in the 38+ degrees centigrade heat and have found it to be satisfying.

I'm sure that I'm among the first bhakra's of this brand and only time will tell if I have done a wise thing or not.

For all those checking out for sun films for their ride, this could be another option.

Happy driving!
@ahmik: Count me in as well! I have got the same (front) for my car (Ritz) from Ambica. Not too sure about the type for the sides and back (it's 35%VLT type), i'll check that and post again. They'd to replace the entire front piece (for free) due to air/dust bubbles. The total damage (for films only) was 8K. 5 yrs warranty for the front (includes installation) and 3 yrs for the sides. Frankly, the installation was average as I still have air bubbles (noticable only to t-bhpians ) on sides. Since the front was more of a worry, I insisted on it's replacement but still living with the (bubbled) sides. Mr Nagpal has promised me a replacement (if it gets worse).

I also got a Xenos (remote lock) and Hella 100/90 (bulbs+relay) conversion done, the total came to 11.5K. Overall, I am satisfied with the films.
Old 17th May 2011, 11:05   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this the same music system company Blaupunkt?

In India we often find such rip-offs such as Ralph Lauren Polo car air freshner even though the company doesn't make air freshners !!
Old 17th May 2011, 11:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Is this the same music system company Blaupunkt?

In India we often find such rip-offs such as Ralph Lauren Polo car air freshner even though the company doesn't make air freshners !!
Their website says they are the real Blaupunkt. Blaupunkt: BLAUPUNKT SPF - About Blaupunkt
Old 17th May 2011, 11:31   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Their website says they are the real Blaupunkt. Blaupunkt: BLAUPUNKT SPF - About Blaupunkt
That seems legit.
Logical diversification for the brand. This product line will benefit greatly by piggy backing on their existing dealer network, brand reputation,etc result in easy market acceptability.

Which dealers in Mumbai stock this? Whats the pricing like?
Old 17th May 2011, 17:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
where do we find more info? Any dealers in Mumbai?
Hey Blaupunkt sunfilm is available at Gandhi Motors at Milan Subway. It is on the side of the road going toward the subway itself. It is the first shop in line with Shreyas, Bhavi and Khosla Motors.
Old 18th May 2011, 09:14   #11
BHPian

Thanks Avinash_M! Looks like I'm not the only one.
I must say I'm impressed with the film. The car is perfect in 42+ degrees. The fan is mostly on 2nd speed after the initial cooling. No complaints so far. Only wish I was able to afford the 99% IR cut on all glasses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
@ahmik: Count me in as well! I have got the same (front) for my car (Ritz) from Ambica. Not too sure about the type for the sides and back (it's 35%VLT type), i'll check that and post again. They'd to replace the entire front piece (for free) due to air/dust bubbles. The total damage (for films only) was 8K. 5 yrs warranty for the front (includes installation) and 3 yrs for the sides. Frankly, the installation was average as I still have air bubbles (noticable only to t-bhpians ) on sides. Since the front was more of a worry, I insisted on it's replacement but still living with the (bubbled) sides. Mr Nagpal has promised me a replacement (if it gets worse).

I also got a Xenos (remote lock) and Hella 100/90 (bulbs+relay) conversion done, the total came to 11.5K. Overall, I am satisfied with the films.
Old 18th May 2011, 20:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmik View Post
The Artic on the windshield cost 8k and the rest about 7.5k. It seems the Artic has the life time warranty and the rest a couple of years - I'm not very sure on this though. I thought I'll post some pics but I'll do it a bit later.

The look of the car is good and it has a slightly green tint in the sun.
I hope this is within the laid down regulations in this regard.The following is from Delhi Police website:As provided in Rule 100 of Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989, the glass of windscreen and rear window of motor vehicles should have a visibility of at least 70% and that of side windows a minimum visibility of 50%. The specification of glass should conform to Indian Standards [ IS:2553 - Part 2 - 1992 ].

Mr. Nagpal's landline/mobile no. available?
Old 22nd May 2011, 22:46   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post
I hope this is within the laid down regulations in this regard.The following is from Delhi Police website:As provided in Rule 100 of Central Motor Vehicle Rules 1989, the glass of windscreen and rear window of motor vehicles should have a visibility of at least 70% and that of side windows a minimum visibility of 50%. The specification of glass should conform to Indian Standards [ IS:2553 - Part 2 - 1992 ].

In my case the windscreen film does meet the 70% VLT clause but not the sides (35% VLT), mostly to maintain a visibility/privacy balance between night and daytime driving. But I don't think that is a problem in Hyd going by what I've mostly seen people putting in their cars (5%-20% VLT for sides mostly). Even saw some having VLT-50% films on front! But still, haven't seen/heard anyone pulled-over for putting dark films here.

Don't have the number handy but this is what google shows:
1-8-32/66A
Ministers Road, Secunderabad, Andhra Pradesh 500003
040 27892113
avinash_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2011, 17:22   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought View Post

Sorry for the delayed response Dreadnought. The number of Mr. Nagpal of Ambica Auto Agencies, Minster Rd is 66499545

To be honest, I've not been that technical while selecting the tint but I can safely say it is within the legal limits. The front glass, if I'm not mistaken has 90-95 visibility and the remainder a healthy 50+. The night visibility could be affected by a max of about 10%, nothing more.

Let me know your opinion regarding Blaupunkt, after you go through the specs.
ahmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2011, 17:29   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_m View Post
Don't have the number handy but this is what google shows:
1-8-32/66A
Ministers Road, Secunderabad, Andhra Pradesh 500003
040 27892113
Thanks avinash_m for putting up the number. I found the other number on the bill that I have.

I'm very sure 50% on the front is a real problem during night driving and also sure, to get around the problem they'll upgrade their headlights.

Most Viewed