Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2019, 16:44   #1696
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Power Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrippledLucifer View Post
How much additional power are we talking? Will I need to swap out the battery or something for this? I'm hoping these won't blow fuses or cause my various LED bulbs to flicker. I've swapped away all halogen bulbs on our Crysta for LEDs.

Apologies for the many questions, I'm relatively new to the electrical portion of automobiles.
They are 5A each so 10A for the pair. Your stock horns will be 6-8 A/pair. No you won't have to swap the battery or anything but it is recommended that you install an auxiliary wiring harness instead of using the factory wire. You will need to consult an auto electrician for installation.

Main reason is you don't splice or cut the factory wiring and the original connectors are retained in case you wish to revert to factory horns. This is important if your car is in warranty.
Old 16th March 2019, 17:06   #1697
BHPian

Power Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
They are 5A each so 10A for the pair. Your stock horns will be 6-8 A/pair. No you won't have to swap the battery or anything but it is recommended that you install an auxiliary wiring harness instead of using the factory wire. You will need to consult an auto electrician for installation.

Main reason is you don't splice or cut the factory wiring and the original connectors are retained in case you wish to revert to factory horns. This is important if your car is in warranty.

Thank you very much for this valuable information.

The full set including the harness available on Amazon seems to be correct right?

My goal is to keep factory warranty intact so will avoid touching any wires. I'm now wondering if it's even worth doing all this if there's even a chance the warranty will be void. Is the Bosch Symphony going to require all the same?
Old 16th March 2019, 17:12   #1698
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The full set including the harness available on Amazon seems to be correct right?
Yep, that's the kit.

Quote:
My goal is to keep factory warranty intact so will avoid touching any wires. I'm now wondering if it's even worth doing all this if there's even a chance the warranty will be void. Is the Bosch Symphony going to require all the same?
The Bosch part will consume 8A/pair. I am not sure of the power ratings of your stock horns. But the Bosch should be about equal to the stock horns OR a max of 2A more, assuming the factory kit is 6A/pair. You won't need an aux harness with the Bosch.

I have seen both the Bosch and Hella in action. Believe me, the Chrome Trumpets are superior. I also purchased a Chrome Trumpet set for my car which is currently fitted with Hella Super Tones AKA Red Grilles.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2019, 21:09   #1699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
The Bosch part will consume 8A/pair. I am not sure of the power ratings of your stock horns. But the Bosch should be about equal to the stock horns OR a max of 2A more, assuming the factory kit is 6A/pair. You won't need an aux harness with the Bosch.

I have seen both the Bosch and Hella in action. Believe me, the Chrome Trumpets are superior. I also purchased a Chrome Trumpet set for my car which is currently fitted with Hella Super Tones AKA Red Grilles.

You're making a good case for the Hella trumpets, I'm sorely tempted to go for them.

According to a thread I found earlier, the stock Innova Crysta horns pull 3A each for a total of 6A for the pair.

If anyone happens to know any reputable auto electrician in Lucknow, please do feel free to share. A bit lost as to where I should get this installed.
Old 17th March 2019, 09:20   #1700
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You're making a good case for the Hella trumpets, I'm sorely tempted to go for them.
These seem to be the best suited for your particular requirements. But if you need something less expensive look at similar products from Roots. However, Hella is a better quality product.

Quote:
According to a thread I found earlier, the stock Innova Crysta horns pull 3A each for a total of 6A for the pair.
Yes, the stock horns on Toyota vehicles are Roots Smart Tone (not Denso) and draw 3A each. These are inexpensive when purchased retail at about Rs 500-600/pair.
Old 18th March 2019, 09:51   #1701
Senior - BHPian

Folks

I recently fitted Walta brand dual horn in my Santro Xing. Earlier it was Roots windtone horn. The Walta brand sound seems to be less compared to Windtone horn.
Is there any way wherein I can increase the sound level of the Walta brand

BTW is Walta brand a local one ?
Old 26th March 2019, 19:39   #1702
Distinguished - BHPian

I got FIAMM AM80S - AM80SX installed in my S-Cross. Happy with the outcome .

Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2019, 14:28   #1703
BHPian

Went ahead and got Hella Chrome Trumpets installed in my Innova Crysta.

One thing to note: I checked with many different auto electricians and the general consensus was that the factory wires can take the load of these horns. As it stands, the horns are working perfectly with no apparent electrical issues for the time being. The shop owner himself has installed these horns on many different Crysta's and said he's never heard of anyone using a separate harness to install it.

In any case, I'm very pleased with the sound although admittedly it sounds a little less loud on the inside than the factory horns. The exterior is a whole different story though, they're very loud and very similar to Creta horns. Overall pleased with them, now I just hope they last.
Old 3rd April 2019, 14:01   #1704
BHPian

Quote:
Went ahead and got Hella Chrome Trumpets installed in my Innova Crysta.
Amazon is having a sale on Hella chrome trumpets. Around 1K.

Gears,
Red-One.
Old 24th April 2019, 09:50   #1705
BANNED

WOLO RC100 wireless switches - Final upgrade!

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
I have added a Hella Single trumpet to my Ford Figo 1.5D. I have honked only once after installing them and thus haven't honked enough to comment in detail about the sound. It's loud enough to make me refrain from trying it in town. I am planning to take a long trip this weekend and will be able to use it often enough to comment upon.
I was using Hella single trumpet, Bosch Europas and the OEM Minda HN09s. One two way rocker switch was positioned on the plastic sheeting in the area under the steering wheel. The first position of the switch was wired to make the steering horn pad sound the 312watt Hella single trumpet. The second position of the switch disconnected all three horns and left the car mute and the third position sounded the Bosh Europas along with the OEM Minda HN09s in unison.

This was working for me as long as my running was regular. My running became erratic a few months after installing the trumpets and I was doing 1600km round trips every month with the car lying idle for the rest of the time. Though the car was covered with TPH armour covers, the dust accumulation degraded the trumpets and the 26.5amp/312 watt power draw started leaving the battery drained during the month long breaks the car was left idle. The impact of the trumpet was lowered by it getting positioned behind the bumper rather than being open and pointing forward.

Further, there was a nagging inconvenience in the setup. First the the process of toggling between the horns required me to reach for the switch between my knees with one hand on the steering wheel. Second was a the inability to sound the OEMs alone when I want to be polite in town. Shortest blips of the Bosch Europas sounding together with the OEM Minda HN09 weren't sounding as polite as the HN09s, which are apparently acceptable to the public even in pretty long blasts.

There are instances where we want to sound the horn just to make others know that we are there without evincing a reaction from them.

With these in mind, I looked up switches to be mounted on the steering wheel to sound the extra horns while leaving the stock horn pads to sound the stock mindas. I was initially suggested to opt for long stalk momentary switches like the ones used in buses. Those would prove to be a safety hazard and the idea was discarded.

The next idea was to put some switch connected by spring-like wires found on telephones that will allow the steering wheel to be turned fully. This idea too got discarded because those wires will start drooping overtime and might get stuck in the slit between the steering wheel and dash leading to s dangerous situation.

Finally I started looking for wireless switches. I looked through Arduino remotes, which were filmsy, and the domestic remotes used to operate domestic appliances which were bulky and to mount on steering wheel.

I chanced upon the WOLO RC100 switches even before buying the hella single trumpets but the Amazon India link was too expensive to purchase from. I came to know via repeated searches that the WOLO switches were not that expensive in the Amazon USA site. After thinking over many more options, I decided to source these switches from USA through friends.

These switches have a sleek wireless relay that gets mounted on the steering wheel and wirelessly operate a receiver which has a tiny stalk toggle switch. There are two modes, momentary (horn) and on/off(lights). I decided to buy two of them. One for the extra horns and the other for the Aux lights. The switch receiver is rated for 30amps. I chose to retain the hella relay in the trumpets for the Europa horns while adding a Hella Red Grills to sound along with the Europas(in the place of stock Mindas) powered through the hella relay that came came in the box. These two relays were connected to the WOLO RC100 receiver. The switches were mounted on the steering wheel as shown via a VELCRO strip.

We need to program switch to the receiver by powering on the receiver and pressing a small button on the wireless switch for the time it takes for the switch to blink thrice. The led ring that illuminates in blue is not very bright and when they are mounted behind the steering wheel they don't irritatingly illuminate the foot well when operated. They don't even put a faint glow inside the car at night.

The last pic shows the way I wanted to position them at first. I decided against this positioning because, firstly, they would not be discrete. In addition to that, this required extending the thumbs to operate them which reduced the grip on the steering wheel. Hence I decided to mount them on the other side of the steering wheel and use one finger to operate them without compromising on the grip.

I have used the second switch with the receiver set to on/off mode to operate the extra lights.(4nos Hella 500ff running 100w bulbs, detachable, mounted only during long drives).
Attached Thumbnails
Power Horns!-img20190420wa0001.jpeg  

Power Horns!-img20190420wa0003.jpeg  

Power Horns!-img20190420wa0004.jpeg  

Power Horns!-img20190420wa0005.jpeg  

Power Horns!-img20190420wa0006.jpeg  

Power Horns!-img20190420wa0024.jpeg  

Power Horns!-img20190420wa0026.jpeg  

Power Horns!-img20190421wa0004.jpeg  

Power Horns!-img20190421wa0005.jpeg  

Power Horns!-img20190421wa0010.jpeg  

Power Horns!-img_20190420_125019_7.jpg  

Power Horns!-img_20190420_085801_1.jpg  

Power Horns!-img_20190420_150845_7.jpg  

Last edited by COMMUTER : 24th April 2019 at 10:16. Reason: Typho
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 09:17   #1706
BHPian

Is there anyway to source the Hella Red Grill horns which are made in Germany and not in India? The Indian ones don't seem to last more than a few months.
Old 2nd June 2019, 23:31   #1707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Guys an update on this product.

So I ordered the one given in the link for Ford but as it turns out, it wasn't compatible with the Ecosport. The Ford one works on Fiesta but the Ecosport uses a different plug.

That plug is same as Peugeot and some other cars. The link to the one which works on Ecosport is this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Spec...311.0.0.OkQxh7

So basically the Fiesta uses a different horn and Ecosport is not the same.

My suggestion for anyone ordering from the Aliexpress link would be to check the connector on their car and match the pic before ordering.

The seller is quite cooperative when I told him about the wrong connector. He agreed to ship me the new connector after I sent him the pic of my Ecosport's horn connector. He also promised to update the product page.

So now I have an extra Fiesta horn connector.....
Hello Vid6639, Do you still have the extra fiesta horn connector? I got a set of horns from a Skoda Rapid from a friend of mine. The horn has a different type of connector (two pin per horn). I could see that the product which has the OE connector and the crimp connectors attached to it. I think this would be perfect.

Let me know if you have it. Would be happy to take it from you for a price instead of experiencing the agonizing long waiting periods if one orders through AliExpress.
Old 5th August 2019, 20:17   #1708

Swift hella compact horn is relay required

My oem single tone horn has got damaged and I have got a hella compact horn set. Can I remove the stock horn and connect these 2 in parallel or is a relay required the power consumption is around 42w x2 further a mechanic suggested we need to check if stock horn is low tone or high tone before replacing incase I plan to use only one from the set the original horn is loud Padmini kindly guide thanks
Old 6th August 2019, 19:40   #1709
BHPian

Re: Swift hella compact horn is relay required

Quote:
Originally Posted by biju.bala View Post
... Can I remove the stock horn and connect these 2 in parallel or is a relay required the power consumption is around 42w x2 further ...
You may first need to check the current rating of fuse connected to horn from fusebox. 42w power consumption may come down to around 84w resulting in around 7~8 amperes of current requirement. If your fuse rating is 10 amp, you can use these directly without relay.
If the rating is anything less than 7 amps, please use relay to avoid wiring burnout.
Your horn's casing/box will have a mention of current ratings. Please do check it as well.
Old 6th August 2019, 23:40   #1710
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Swift hella compact horn is relay required

Quote:
Originally Posted by biju.bala View Post
My oem single tone horn has got damaged and I have got a hella compact horn set. Can I remove the stock horn and connect these 2 in parallel
Your OE single tone horn can be adjusted to work again; there is a screw at the rear of the horn on which you'll find some silicone/rubber.

Remove the rubber and just tighten the screw by one sixteenth of a turn and see if the horn blows. Repeat till you hear the horn clear.

If you must fit the compact horn set, you need a horn relay kit.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks