Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2017, 14:46   #1621
Team-BHP Support

Re: Power Horns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
A useful product for those who have cars with custom horn connectors. I couldn't change my Ecosport's horn to a twin tone skoda type horn as Ford uses a OE horn connector.

I ordered this connector for Ford and can change to any universal horn without touching the original wiring of the car.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Spec...258495052.html
Guys an update on this product.

So I ordered the one given in the link for Ford but as it turns out, it wasn't compatible with the Ecosport. The Ford one works on Fiesta but the Ecosport uses a different plug.

That plug is same as Peugeot and some other cars. The link to the one which works on Ecosport is this:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Spec...311.0.0.OkQxh7

So basically the Fiesta uses a different horn and Ecosport is not the same.

My suggestion for anyone ordering from the Aliexpress link would be to check the connector on their car and match the pic before ordering.

The seller is quite cooperative when I told him about the wrong connector. He agreed to ship me the new connector after I sent him the pic of my Ecosport's horn connector. He also promised to update the product page.

So now I have an extra Fiesta horn connector.....
Vid6639 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2017, 15:31   #1622
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone compared stebel magnum & hella chrome trumpet? My magnum tm 80/2 got drowned in some water, so looking for a replacement
Old 27th October 2017, 08:21   #1623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Has anyone compared stebel magnum & hella chrome trumpet?
Have used both.

Stebel magnum sounds low pitched and the Hella chrome trumpet high pitched.

From inside the car, one might feel that the Stebel magnum is louder, because of its bassy sound. I would say, if you prefer a sharper tone, go for Hella chrome trumpet. I you want it to be bassy, get Stebel magnum.

Longevity of these are somewhat beyond prediction.

Last edited by crdi : 27th October 2017 at 08:23.
crdi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2017, 08:56   #1624
Senior - BHPian

I ended up buying a roots windtone because of the local support. Hella etc I've not been able to find someone nearby to repair them, but there is a roots showroom that does, they fixed my vibrosonic that was damaged in a minor fender bender for 100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
OI wanted a method to switch between OEM and
the new Hellas. I was advised against it as it meant drawing additional lengths of wire/cable past the firewall and into the dash. Plus some of the switches were known to give problems in the long term.
I've been running this setup for 10 years now without an issue. Yes some extra wiring needs to be done, but that was it. The switch acted up once in 2013, but it was a common standard 20rs switch, and replacing it is a trivial job

Last edited by Aditya : 5th November 2017 at 10:05. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 5th November 2017, 10:17   #1625
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
I've been running this setup for 10 years now without an issue. Yes some extra wiring needs to be done, but that was it. The switch acted up once in 2013, but it was a common standard 20rs switch, and replacing it is a trivial job
The dealer's advice was based on the firewall pass-through situation in my car. It's chock-a-block with factory wiring and power cables for the 2 amplifiers which meant he'd have to drill a hole in the firewall and install a grommet to accomodate the related wiring and cut the dashboard for the switch. I agreed and thought I'd give it a pass thinking it can always be fitted subsequently if required.

I've used a dual horn setup (OEM + a Fiamm 3 trumpet which was later deemed illegal) in my older cars. As you said replacing an inexpensive part like a switch isn't such a problem. It's just an inconvenience should it fail at an inopportune moment. I've had the Fiamm horn fail on me far more frequently than the switch as a result of which I was totally put off air horns which is what has kept me away from the Stebel Nautilus.
Old 13th November 2017, 16:20   #1626
BHPian

My Alto LXI, 2008 had a dual horn set-up, am not sure if it was stock or if any changes were made later on, Alto owners on the forum if you could please confirm (mine is a pre-worshipped vehicle). Older ones had an awful nasal sound which gave a feeling like they were almost begging me to get them replaced. Finally i got them switched with Hella Trumpet horns at a multi-brand car showroom. It was a direct fit on the old set-up, just the earlier trumpets were removed and the new ones added. Cost me 1300. I am happy with the sound now which is pretty loud and kind of to the point and not to the level of making a racket. Although i use the horns very infrequently and only when needed.
Old 15th November 2017, 08:57   #1627
BHPian

I am looking to change the stock horns on my Chevrolet Beat. I've identified the "Hella Yellow Panther" as my choice of horn.

I have a few queries:

1. Can the Yellow Panther be fitted on a Beat? If yes, what's the best place to mount it on?
2. Do I need to connect it through a relay?
3. Any recommended installers in Bangalore who can procure an original one and fix it correctly? I could also buy from Amazon but will still need a reliable installer.
Old 15th November 2017, 09:04   #1628
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post
I am looking to change the stock horns on my Chevrolet Beat. I've identified the "Hella Yellow Panther" as my choice of horn.
If your Beat already has dual horns, you can directly fit these.

I am using the Yellow Panther for last 2 months, but planing to take them out and get the louder red-grilles.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 09:25   #1629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by red.devil_19 View Post

I have a few queries:

1. Can the Yellow Panther be fitted on a Beat? If yes, what's the best place to mount it on?
2. Do I need to connect it through a relay?
3. Any recommended installers in Bangalore who can procure an original one and fix it correctly? I could also buy from Amazon but will still need a reliable installer.
I will suggest to go for a relay. I normally follow the thumb rule, if the replacement horns have a power rating greater than the stock ones, use a relay.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2017, 09:44   #1630
Distinguished - BHPian

How are Bosch Symphony horns? I will replace the OE dual horn setup on my WagonR with these. I was looking for feedback on:

1. Long term reliability
2. Sound effectiveness within the city
Old 16th November 2017, 14:32   #1631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

I am using the Yellow Panther for last 2 months, but planing to take them out and get the louder red-grilles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I will suggest to go for a relay. I normally follow the thumb rule, if the replacement horns have a power rating greater than the stock ones, use a relay.
Thank you so much for your replies.

I had called up "Glamour Car Accessories" to check if they have Hella Yellow Panther in stock. They didn't have it but agreed to do the installation if I procured it myself. So I've placed the order on Amazon. I hope the size of this horn is alright for the Beat. The person I spoke to said sometimes if its too big, then fitting them could be an issue.

I think the Beat has dual horns. But even then, I'll make sure the installation is done through a relay. I'm sure the Yellow Panther will have a higher power rating than the stock horn.
Old 16th November 2017, 15:00   #1632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
How are Bosch Symphony horns? I will replace the OE dual horn setup on my WagonR with these. I was looking for feedback on:

1. Long term reliability
I have been using Roots Windtone electronic since more than a year on my cross. I found them better than any other windtones in terms of sound and life.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 23:03   #1633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

1. Long term reliability
Bosch horns are made by Roots in India unless Bosch has opened its own factory in the last 2-3 years. So either way you'll be buying a horn made in the same factory.

From what I've read, after OEM, Roots are the most reliable and can be repaired, followed by Bosch and then Hella.

The higher you go in the model range and more the output (db) the lesser the horns tend to last. The Hella Super Tones (Red Grilles) won't last me anywhere close to the Roots OEMs Roots Smart tone that functioned perfectly for 9 years. I gave them away to a person I know.

I expect about 2 years of life from the Hellas if not less. And I am not sure if the Super Tones can be repaired from what I've heard. Can anybody confirm this please?

As an aside - I finally found the old Super Tones I had purchased back in end 2009/early 2010. They were in my store room and since I couldn't locate them I bought new ones from the dealer. Back then they were priced at Rs 1350, current price is Rs 2400/pair including a relay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

One can use the factory harness provided the OEM horns and after market horns draw the same power. Otherwise buy the Hella harness from Amazon or have your auto electrician make one for you & use the supplied horn relay. More information in my earlier posts.

BTW, I've been using the Super Tones/Red Grilles in my car for the past 1.5 months or so. Good grief! They are SO loud and irritating even when heard from within the car that they make me wince. The OEMs sounded like a melody.

I've installed a set of Hella Yellow Panthers in the 2nd car and they sound "sweet" not as jarring and harsh as the Super Tones. You may want to audition the Red Grilles them before buying as they're not to everybody's liking. But they do an excellent job of announcing your presence on the road.

Last edited by R2D2 : 17th November 2017 at 23:10. Reason: Added link
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2017, 23:12   #1634
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I've installed a set of Hella Yellow Panthers in the 2nd car and they sound "sweet" not as jarring and harsh as the Super Tones. You may want to audition the Red Grilles them before buying as they're not to everybody's liking. But they do an excellent job of announcing your presence on the road.
I have used Red Grille's before, and they went with the car. I am using Yellow's now, but it is possible that it is faulty and hence not sounding that good. Dont have anything to compare it with.

I am looking for at least the high-tone part of the Hella pair, but not finding it. ( Hella E4 -high tone)
Old 18th November 2017, 15:59   #1635
BHPian

Quote:

1. Long term reliability
Have been using Bosch Symphony on my Santro for ~5 years now!
Had to replace the relay once some 6 months ago. Otherwise the horns are still going strong!

My post from November 2012:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Got new horns for my Santro Xing!
Bosch Symphony (Skoda/VW sounding).
550/- bucks for the horn, 800/- total (for relay + switch + wiring + labour)!
Made in India, with one year warranty.
Sounds decent. Fresh, compared to the OEM horns I've been listening to for almost 7 years now. Not too loud maybe. But I haven't listened to it from outside the car properly.

Some pics:

-Both horns mounted on a single clamp bolted on. Looked a little flimsy to me. Repeatedly asked the guy whether it will last. He was damn sure it would!

-Horrible positioning of the switch. It's just wedged into the gap between the panels. The guy says there is no other place on a Santro dash where he can put the switch.

-Box with warranty card
Geo_Ipe is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed