Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2011, 02:13   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Honda City VTEC High Compression build.*UPDATE* And she runs!!

Probably not. I want him to run-in the engine for some time before I lift the revlimit to anything above 3.5k. Same with the dyno plot.

Another update, the porting is almost done. Just need to apply finishing touches to the CC, I'm not doing the mirror finish that I did on my own head so it's not going to take long. The install date has been pushed back to this coming Sunday. Hoping to get everything done and get the car started, my eagerness to tune this car seems to be rising as time goes on.
pranavt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2011, 04:48   #32
Senior - BHPian

So the porting was finally completed after 4 backbreaking days of work. Some nice additions were done on the intake ports to promote better atomisation, especially the finish. As a final test before we did the final assembly of the motor, claying of the pistons was done with VTEC locked, since there was a chance of piston-to-valve contact only on the VTEC profile. The results were better than I had imagined and this basically allows me to run a very high-lift and long-duration cam in the future if the owner intends to do so. All because of the nice big valve reliefs on the pistons.

The head will finally be taken for a pressure-wash tomorrow after which the final assembly will be done and the engine bolted in the car. The engine mounts have been upgraded to polyurethane ones to reduce wheel-hop during hard launches. Another day will be spent prepping up a basemap for the standalone ECU which will take care of the running-in process.

A video should come soon. Exciting times ahead
Old 15th April 2011, 12:36   #33
BHPian

Good work Pranav. The joy in undertaking a DIY project by itself is a great thing; better than trusting tuners blindly. Will follow this thread closely. Any plans to get it dynoed after the head build?
Old 15th April 2011, 17:14   #34
BHPian

so hey where do you get all your work from?
as in the turner jobs et al. do you give them precise measurements or do they know what theyre doing?
Old 15th April 2011, 17:30   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Good work Pranav. The joy in undertaking a DIY project by itself is a great thing; better than trusting tuners blindly. Will follow this thread closely. Any plans to get it dynoed after the head build?
Thanks. Dyno after the running in is done. Even I want to genuinely see the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild4lyfe View Post
so hey where do you get all your work from?
as in the turner jobs et al. do you give them precise measurements or do they know what theyre doing?
Lol, never assume anyone to know what they are doing. The block boring and valve job was done at Mahesh's place in Dadar. The 3-angle valve job doesn't require any special instructions apart from the angle measurements which I know what they use anyways. For the boring, I gave them the exact clearances I wanted to run with the new pistons. After I got the block back, I specced it myself.

Another update, the engine's finally going in this Sunday after multiple delays. I've already prepped a basemap for the standalone. Should be an exciting day.
Old 17th April 2011, 17:31   #36
Senior - BHPian

So the engine was installed in the car today. After everything was assembled, it was cranked. The original battery was pretty weak so I connected mine and went ahead. The engine cranked within 4-5 seconds of turning the key

The great thing is that it cranked and ran alright on the stock ECU lol. Didn't drive the car because a couple of minor things were still left to do and I was way way tired to finish that and then connect my laptop and the standalone ECU.

Should have more updates in the coming days as I work on the car and start mapping and datalogging. Pretty stoked right now and interested in seeing how many are actually following the build lol.
Old 18th April 2011, 00:23   #37
BHPian

It's not like we are not following the thread.Coming up with questions on your posts is quite a task & they shouldn't be one liners too.

Anyways,
1) which stand alone are you using ?
2) This being a high compression build will you be able to run 87 octane by making a specific map for it ?
3) Wide Band o2,EGT readings is all you need to tune the maps right ? Or something else too is needed to take in references from the engine ?
Old 18th April 2011, 04:41   #38
Senior - BHPian

OBD1 Honda running Neptune.

Yes, definitely. Like I said, at low loads, even the stock ECU could run the engine without any knocking. I didn't try it at high loads but I don't expect much as changing the CR actually requires a change in ignition timing. Just that getting it to run on pump fuel will be pretty easy if I have access to the fuel/timing map.

Wideband O2, reading spark plugs and my electronic knock sensing equipment which lets me hear everything going on inside the engine. I don't have an EGT sensor right now but I won't miss it as long as I have the knock sensor. Perhaps after mine turns up about 2 weeks later, I can do the final tune with it. But no biggie.
Old 19th April 2011, 10:59   #39
BHPian

Now youre just plain teasing us here you know!!!
Old 21st April 2011, 17:37   #40
BHPian

I have a keen eye on this thread. The only thing that keeps me from picking up a OHC is the lack of good examples and the insane asking price.

Why did you choose High comp NA over a Turbo job?
Old 21st April 2011, 19:46   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild4lyfe View Post
Now youre just plain teasing us here you know!!!
Minor connections were taking up time. It's a pity there are only 24 hours in a day. Nonetheless, I should hopefully have a big update tomorrow. Just got back after finishing the last of the hardware stuff. Now all that's left is the mapping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
I have a keen eye on this thread. The only thing that keeps me from picking up a OHC is the lack of good examples and the insane asking price.
If only you had stayed in Pune for more than a day It's a pity that the OHC is asking such a huge price in Bangalore. That said, you'll have a clearer view about the difference between your Baleno and Ron's OHC. If you like his car, go out and buy one from another state that hasn't been fiddled with. A few things once replaced, the car will keep going for another decade without any issues.

Quote:
Why did you choose High comp NA over a Turbo job?
It's not my car so I didn't have the liberty of taking that decision lol. The only thing I suggested was increasing the compression rather than doing a stock build. Why high comp? More bang for your buck, availability of better fuel than what was sold 10 years ago, and not wanting to experiment with my first FI build on someone else's car. Plus, switching to high-comp internals wasn't costing anymore than stock rebuild would, assuming all parts were OE Honda imported from the US.

Why not FI? I would not do a junkyard/Ebay build under any condition, where the turbo was taken from some diesel, manifold that looked like it came out from someone's backside, etc. So buying branded stuff would make the job way more expensive than what was actually planned in the first place (just the headgasket swap lol). And the owner wanted a reliable bulletproof engine that could go 10 years without any maintenance apart from the usual stuff (oil, coolant, timing belt, etc). With a turbo, lot more things to keep a constant check over, and more things to go wrong in much worse ways.

Last edited by pranavt : 21st April 2011 at 19:51.
Old 22nd April 2011, 14:27   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Minor connections were taking up time. It's a pity there are only 24 hours in a day. Nonetheless, I should hopefully have a big update tomorrow. Just got back after finishing the last of the hardware stuff. Now all that's left is the mapping.
As per my promise, here it is.

Running on a basemap that I had created for this motor about a week back. Car will be handed over to my friend in the evening. If possible, some mapping will be done during the run-in period though everything looks peachy. The ECU will be datalogging during daily driving and daily logs will be sent to me for analysis. Once the run-in is done, time to rip this motor and see what it's capable of.
pranavt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 12:16   #43
BHPian

Re: Honda City VTEC High Compression build.*UPDATE* And she runs!!

Sounds clean, what headers are those?
crazydiablo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2011, 14:15   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydiablo View Post
Sounds clean, what headers are those?
Custom made through Jignesh/Viper.

Took the car for a small round with a 3k revlimit lol. Needs some mapping time but you get a nice but shortlived feeling beyond 2.5k rpm. Just waiting for the rings to seat properly as some oil is still being burnt after overfilling.
Old 26th April 2011, 17:52   #45
BHPian

when do we get to see both your builds ??
I for one am really keen on looking at your Home made rockets if i may.

& if im not mistaken they are by BAR Exhausts right?

Last edited by wildchild4lyfe : 26th April 2011 at 17:53.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks