Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2011, 11:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: A Hyundai Sonata V6 Story - From Barge To Bullet!

Nice.
I was wondering,why did you get it inspite of the Wheezy 4 speed Auto transmission,that was until i had read about manual conversion.
She looks haute now.
What are the stock acceleration figures,and how much is she doing now,a rough idea?
Old 28th March 2011, 11:14   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A Hyundai Sonata V6 Story - From Barge To Bullet!

More please!!!
and how much of an effort is it to relocate the battery?

and how much did you shell out just for the engine's open heart?

AWESOME work , do post a running video, if possible.
Old 28th March 2011, 11:22   #18
BHPian

Ajmat, I have MUCH thicker anti-roll bars at the rear... 19mm from 10mm. Also i cut the OEM springs by 1 turn. While this may sound cheapo, the result is brialliant. The shocks are OEM, but do not show signs of dying just yet! Even if i had installed lowering springs, i would have had to get rid of the OEM ones anyway, so i decided to experiment!

I am in the market for shocks...doing the research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Brilliant, would like to know more on how you are modifying the handling
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Nice.
I was wondering,why did you get it inspite of the Wheezy 4 speed Auto transmission,that was until i had read about manual conversion.
She looks haute now.
What are the stock acceleration figures,and how much is she doing now,a rough idea?
Thanks Akshay! Need a dyno mobile app...will get some figures soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
More please!!!
and how much of an effort is it to relocate the battery?

and how much did you shell out just for the engine's open heart?

AWESOME work , do post a running video, if possible.
Mayank...a LOT of effort went for the relocation, including Rs.7500 just for high amp wires! The open "lung" surgery took Rs. 16000, not much by any standards, that too for 2 heads!

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 30th March 2011 at 19:01. Reason: Please use the EDIT function instead of posting back-to-back posts in quick succession. Thanks.
Old 28th March 2011, 19:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: A Hyundai Sonata V6 Story - From Barge To Bullet!

nice to see a good sonata after seeing battered examples. White T - shirt in a workshop??
Old 28th March 2011, 19:31   #20
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Good stuff Vivek

Not to nitpick, but the intake port doesn't look too healthy. Any plans on cleaning that up?

A Hyundai Sonata V6 Story - From Barge To Bullet!-1.jpg

A Hyundai Sonata V6 Story - From Barge To Bullet!-2.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
nice to see a good sonata after seeing battered examples. White T - shirt in a workshop??
That is the rockstar Mr. Singh, not someone from a workshop

Last edited by pranavt : 28th March 2011 at 19:32.
pranavt is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th March 2011, 19:55   #21
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Respect man! Your effort & attention to detail are obvious, and the results show in the best looking Sonata I've seen in India. Can we have some more full-profile exterior pictures.

Some misc thoughts:

- Am sure you picked up the V6 for a mouth-watering price. That itself would have left an enthusiast like you with a wad of cash (saved) for modifications.

- One of the best things about your car is the switch from AT -> Manual. However, can the Sonata Gold's 5 speeder handle the additional BHP / torque? In the longer run?

- You are using the stock dampers right? Now, whatever $$$ you invest should go into your suspension. First, get a set of Konis (or any other comparable performance damper). Look up suggestions on int'l forums for springs (but not outright handling, choose a good balance in ride & grip).

- Since you are based in Pune, how about visiting KS Motorsport's dyno for a run? PM me if you are planning to visit on a weekday. Would love to see your car in person.

Subscribed to thread. Rated 5 stars.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th March 2011, 20:05   #22
BHPian

I'd like to agree with GTO on the conversion to manual. The dual tip exhaust - I like.

And about the dynorun, if possible, do a run before and after going the FI way. Would like to see the results.
Old 28th March 2011, 21:06   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Respect man! Your effort & attention to detail are obvious, and the results show in the best looking Sonata I've seen in India. Can we have some more full-profile exterior pictures.

Some misc thoughts:

- Am sure you picked up the V6 for a mouth-watering price. That itself would have left an enthusiast like you with a wad of cash (saved) for modifications.

- One of the best things about your car is the switch from AT -> Manual. However, can the Sonata Gold's 5 speeder handle the additional BHP / torque? In the longer run?

- You are using the stock dampers right? Now, whatever $$$ you invest should go into your suspension. First, get a set of Konis (or any other comparable performance damper). Look up suggestions on int'l forums for springs (but not outright handling, choose a good balance in ride & grip).

- Since you are based in Pune, how about visiting KS Motorsport's dyno for a run? PM me if you are planning to visit on a weekday. Would love to see your car in person.

Subscribed to thread. Rated 5 stars.
Thanks for your comments GTO! Appreciate it!

Yes, I am in the market for some aftermarket shocks. Doing my research first. I have the KONI part numbers but nobody seems to stock 'em. The Sonata Gold gearbox/ diffrential combo is holding up fine at this time. Maybe going FI (later) might bring up some teething problems.
Dyno session on the cards...just doing some more mods with ignition timing.
Old 28th March 2011, 21:26   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
Good stuff Vivek

Not to nitpick, but the intake port doesn't look too healthy. Any plans on cleaning that up?
Pranav, after the grooves he (Mr. Singh) went over all the intake/ exhaust ports again. Those irregularities are not present during final assembly.
Old 29th March 2011, 07:23   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Initially I also thought these were irregularities in the intake/exhaust ports. But to me it seemed the cracks/ridges are on the work table and not on the ports. But you are right from second picture it is clear that they are on the ports.

I wonder why would OE head have ridges like this? Given now the OE quality output is normally good - not polished though.

Old 29th March 2011, 08:00   #26
BHPian

This is another pic of the porting job in progress. I suppose the original pic just looks different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Initially I also thought these were irregularities in the intake/exhaust ports. But to me it seemed the cracks/ridges are on the work table and not on the ports. But you are right from second picture it is clear that they are on the ports.

I wonder why would OE head have ridges like this? Given now the OE quality output is normally good - not polished though.

Attached Thumbnails
A Hyundai Sonata V6 Story - From Barge To Bullet!-imgp3009-medium.jpg  

Last edited by 1self : 29th March 2011 at 08:01.
Old 29th March 2011, 10:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

All the best with the mods - and real life performance ... however, I am still skeptical of the "grooves".

GTO: Where is KS Motorsports? Pune or Bombay?
Old 30th March 2011, 06:55   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Impressed. Engine open heart surgery ;-) for my GV is coming up. Do I dare to do this? Hmmmmm.....
Old 30th March 2011, 07:11   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
Impressed. Engine open heart surgery ;-) for my GV is coming up. Do I dare to do this? Hmmmmm.....
The answer is a resounding YES. But get it done from the Master himself!
Old 30th March 2011, 09:35   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Master is too far away. And I intend not to touch the head nor polish ports. Just grooves to see apple for an apple comparison. Though strictly this should be done with a built engine and not an engine ready for over haul.

Most Viewed