Team-BHP - ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On modifying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifying-car/17917-article-synthetic-oil-vs-mineral-oil-101.html)

I can't recall the cost of Magnatec off hand. Just remember that you can get it for below the MRP, if you can bargain well with the dealer.

All those brands you have mentioned should have good products. Personally, I dont like Castrol much. Also, there is maximum probability of adulteration with Castrol.

Though adulteration probability is max. with Castrol, be careful about all brands. Buy from an authorised dealer with reciept. For list of authorised dealers see the companies website or call them, if they have a customer service number. Else purchase from a reputed shop only. In case of Shell, etc., you can buy from their petrol bunks. That should be v safe. Always check seal, etc.

For my Maruti, the interval recommended is 1 year or 10,000 km. Three / six months seems too early. Don't belive dealers/shopkeepers. Just follow what is adviced in your manual. Since you drive mostly on highways, your oil will not be stressd so much. You could safely follow what the manual recommends.

Remember however, that oil life also depends on the rating. Lower API rated oils may be designed to last less.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raccoon (Post 1244770)
Personally, I dont like Castrol much. Also, there is maximum probability of adulteration with Castrol.

If I were considering Castrol, I'd only look at Castrol Magnatec, which is semi-synthetic.
Is the adulteration probability with the Magnatec too, or am I simply better off getting a Shell or Mobil?

Buy from a reliable place with bill and you should and would not get any fake/adulterated batch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvjascha (Post 1244801)
If I were considering Castrol, I'd only look at Castrol Magnatec, which is semi-synthetic.
Is the adulteration probability with the Magnatec too, or am I simply better off getting a Shell or Mobil?

Adulteration possibility is said to be high with all/most castrol products. So always be extra careful with Castrol

Like I said getting Shell from Shells own bunks should be safe. Mobil, I don't know... try calling them/see website for authorised/genuine dealers.

Just as it is recommended to change the oil filter with every oil change, what about the air filter and fuel filter?

Also, I was told that the gear oil is good for 12K km, while the engine oil + coolant are good for 5K km. Is this true?

I was just on the Mobil India site, and they have an entire range of motor oils. How does one decide what's best for the vehicle? There is more than one product for the same oil grade, for instance, Mobil Super XHP 10W-40, 15W-40, 15W-50 and 20W-50, Mobil Super XHP Plus 20W-50, Mobil Super XHP Plus 15W-40 and Mobil Super 1000.

Air filter is to be cleaned properly depending on your driving conditions (more in dusty environment). For replacement interval refer to your manual. Fuel filter requires even less frequent replacement... generally 40 k km. Always try and ascertain that the bunk you go to dosent give u dirty petrol.

In my car, gear oil is good for 20 k km/2 years. Coolant replacement every 2 years (top up when required). Please confirm in your manual, for your car.

Somebody seems to have given you very conservative limits... possibly to make money... lol!

@Raccoon, I just checked the Owner's Manual, and
1. for the engine oil + oil filter -- they recommend a change every 10,000 km or 12 months, whichever comes first (not 5,000 km or 6 months that I'm being told)
2. for the coolant + gear oil -- they recommend a change every 20,000 km or 24 months, whichever comes first (again, not 5,000 km or 6 months)
3. for the fuel filter -- they recommend a fuel filter change at 40,000 km or 48 months, whichever comes first, and
4. for the air filter -- they recommend a change at 40,000 km. and a cleaning after every 5,000 km

So, to sum up, yeah, I was given very conservative limits. Should I be going by what the manufacturer recommends, or stick to the 5,000 km/6 month-rule?

Are the same brands (Shell & Mobil) also recommended for coolant, brake oil and gear oil?

^^^As I said before, its always best to stick to the manufacturer's recommendation most of the time. But this depends on your usage too. For eg. if you use dirty petrol, your fuel filter is going to need more frequent replacement!

Quote:

I was just on the Mobil India site, and they have an entire range of motor oils. How does one decide what's best for the vehicle? There is more than one product for the same oil grade, for instance, Mobil Super XHP 10W-40, 15W-40, 15W-50 and 20W-50, Mobil Super XHP Plus 20W-50, Mobil Super XHP Plus 15W-40 and Mobil Super 1000.
At a v quick glance, Mobil Super XHP Plus 15W-40 seems to be the best choice for you. However, please check the chart in your manual to confirm the viscocity grade... but most likely this will be fine for you.

Maruti recommends and my MASS uses Golden Cruiser coolant. I use the same. You could use some other reputed brand if you want... but I'd suggest you stick to one brand and avoid mixing. Same for brake fluid and gear oil - use the right grade and stick to one brand.

Any credible places in Mumbai, where I could go to get oil changes?

I am getting Petronas Syntium 5000 (0W40), pack of 4ltr for Rs.3000. is price ok? has anyone tried the above oil in diesel car? what is your experience. And what other fully synthetic oils are recommended for Diesel engine (especially for Optra Magnum).

Do we have any one stop shop for sythetic oils in Pune? I visited Shell pump in Hinjewadi and they didnt have Helix Ultra.

One of my frinends used Mobile 1 in his Swift VDI, and he had to change the oil in 500kms as the engine started knocking and he was not at happy with performance.

^^^Try the Shell pump on Mulshi Road. They had some Shell Helix when I last saw. Can't recall other details.

Mobil 1 is supposed to be one of the best synth oils. Maybe what you got was adulterated? Or maybe something was wrong with the car.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raccoon (Post 1248241)
^^^Try the Shell pump on Mulshi Road. They had some Shell Helix when I last saw. Can't recall other details.

Mobil 1 is supposed to be one of the best synth oils. Maybe what you got was adulterated? Or maybe something was wrong with the car.

No idea what was wrong with mobil 1 or the car.

Helix ultra is only available at chinchwad pump.

Quote:

Originally Posted by throttleking (Post 1248176)
I am getting Petronas Syntium 5000 (0W40), pack of 4ltr for Rs.3000. is price ok? has anyone tried the above oil in diesel car? what is your experience. And what other fully synthetic oils are recommended for Diesel engine (especially for Optra Magnum).

Do we have any one stop shop for sythetic oils in Pune? I visited Shell pump in Hinjewadi and they didnt have Helix Ultra.

One of my frinends used Mobile 1 in his Swift VDI, and he had to change the oil in 500kms as the engine started knocking and he was not at happy with performance.

syntium 5000 is a very good oil. yesterday itself we put it in my friends petrol swift. we got it at 2200 rs, but now the same dealer is saying 2400 rs.
i can vouch for syntium 5000 because i am using syntium 3000 since 8-9000 kms and still whenever i check the oil is not deteriorated. its still in same color and viscocity. and 5000 is a step ahead of 3000. widely used in malasia.
go to nana-peth. you will get A-Z range of engine oils. dont buy at shell pumps. they sell on MRP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raccoon (Post 1248241)

knocking is surely resulting out of some other problem in the car. with a oil change it wont knock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by throttleking (Post 1248300)
No idea what was wrong with mobil 1 or the car.

Helix ultra is only available at chinchwad pump.

its available at many shops near pimple saudagar and nana-peth.

I have put Castrol GTX diesel in my Skoda octavia 1.9 TDI recently. Is there any better mineral oil for octavia 1.9 TDI?

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit_mechengg (Post 1248341)
syntium 5000 is a very good oil.
its available at many shops near pimple saudagar and nana-peth.

my question is if syntium 5000 is good for diesel cars as well? as from the petronas website syntium series is listed for petrol cars.

Where in pimple saudagar? i stay there.