Team-BHP - ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   On modifying a car (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifying-car/)
-   -   ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifying-car/17917-article-synthetic-oil-vs-mineral-oil-11.html)

Gee, so did I end up with some desi stuff? :D

Experts in the area, please help...

Vid, try the toll free numbers mentioned on their website and they dont work either! They have a very poor sales network.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tadkuttan
What is the best price for Mobil 1 5w50 in Bangalore? Payed Rs.1000 for each 1 liter can last time.

You got RIPPED! Its anywhere between 500 - 650 a liter in Bombay.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Mag, I recommend you put it for your 3rd service only. This oil should easily last you 30000 kms.

The oil may last 30,000 km but your oil filter wont. I do not recommend using the same oil for more than 10,000 kms in our driving conditions...but if you do (max 15,000 kms) remember to change your oil filter.

Skoda A.S.S charges 1000 bucks for a litre of Mobil1.
How I wish I ran an A.S.S.!

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 400739)

The oil may last 30,000 km but your oil filter wont. I do not recommend using the same oil for more than 10,000 kms in our driving conditions...but if you do (max 15,000 kms) remember to change your oil filter.

Thx for the update. I'll insist the oil filter be changed (if not included) to MASS during the 3rd service.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 400739)
You got RIPPED! Its anywhere between 500 - 650 a liter in Bombay.

Got that GTO. Now trying to understand the price difference, assuming the can I got last time is the good and legal stuff, cant imagine how they would somehow discount from 1000 to 500~650.

Either somebody faked that MRP sticker on my can, or the stuff you guys are getting is the "grey" variety? So does the stuff you guys use come with an "Imported by" and MRP stickers?

And forgot this earlier, what does Merc service charge for a liter of Mobil 1, if they also stock it like Skoda?

Hi,

The can wholesales for about Rs625/- which is dealer pricing. I have seen stockists invoiced at that price so can be sure. Had seen a MRP label for about Rs780/- on a can a while ago. Unless they have increased the pricing why dont you peel of the sticker you see and check below as some people paste another sticker on top. Will verify the correct MRP and post by evening.

As regards Rs500/- I have till date not seen that pricing in over 2 years, maybe GTO has access to some distributor/importer who is a close friend.

Viper

Quote:

As regards Rs500/- I have till date not seen that pricing in over 2 years, maybe GTO has access to some distributor/importer who is a close friend.
You got that right; my cousin is a major distributor for Mobil.

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper (Post 401122)
Hi,
The can wholesales for about Rs625/- which is dealer pricing. I have seen stockists invoiced at that price so can be sure. Had seen a MRP label for about Rs780/- on a can a while ago. Unless they have increased the pricing why dont you peel of the sticker you see and check below as some people paste another sticker on top. Will verify the correct MRP and post by evening.

Hi Viper,

The MRP is Rs. 1000/- for 1 liter can now and this is the price at which it is sold at A.S.S in Pune for Skoda, Mercedes and Audi. While Skoda recently moved to Shell Helix for synthetics, the other workshops still bill @ Rs. 1000/- a liter. I think you are right about sticking a sticker on top of the original label.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 401132)
You got that right; my cousin is a major distributor for Mobil.

How about a Team-bhp discount from your cousin for all of us then :p

hi GTO,
please give team-bhp discount from your cousin for all of us.

Quote:

Originally Posted by viper (Post 401122)
why dont you peel of the sticker you see and check below as some people paste another sticker on top. Will verify the correct MRP and post by evening.

Just tried that, there isn't another sticker below. That Rs. 1000 seems to be the only one.

Plan to go to shell sometime today and check out the prices for Shell Helix Ultra. If that is more reasonable, will try that. That also fared pretty well in that oil shootout link I pasted earlier. The only problem with that was, it was loosing viscosity earlier than Mobil, and probably wont be a good idea to run for more than 5000Km.

"Under normal conditions, its suggested oil which loses viscosity this quickly would be subject to significant losses over 5000km. Indeed, one would be suspect of the potential for increased wear over this period. Interestingly, in stark contradiction, Hi-Tec actually fared extremely well in the wear particle analysis, where results of the other varied."

Oil Product Viscosity Loss % Type Test#
Torco MPZ 18% Synthetic #5 & 6
Shell Helix Ultra 14% Synthetic #8
Shell Helix Plus 12% Petroleum #1
Hi-Tec HTO 8% Synthetic #9
Castrol R 6% Synthetic #12

Quote:

Originally Posted by tadukuttan (Post 401188)
Plan to go to shell sometime today and check out the prices for Shell Helix Ultra. If that is more reasonable, will try that. That also fared pretty well in that oil shootout link I pasted earlier. The only problem with that was, it was loosing viscosity earlier than Mobil, and probably wont be a good idea to run for more than 5000Km.

Tadukuttan, Shell Helix Ultra 15W-50 is Rs. 2400/- for 4 liters in Pune. This should give you an approximate reference price. It should be definitely cheaper in Bombay.

Rs.1000/ litre?! That's highway robbery! Are you sure that's the MRP on the can? In all probability, thats what they are charging the customer.

I buy it for Rs.625-650/litre. That seems to be the selling price in most shops.

Also, I've used Motul, and love it! Problem is, its almost impossible to get off the shelf in Mumbai, and one has to call the main distributer who is located in the suburbs. Though he does deliver it to your doorstep if you order a decent quantity, I don't see why they can't make it easily available in the market.

So far, I've used Mobile1, Motul 8100 E-tech and Shell Helix Ultra. From the three, I would rate the Motul a bit ahead of the rest, solely from a S.O.P. prospective.

i think GTO is busy, so bought mobil 1 4 lts today for 2500. sticker price was 3700.

what spec did you buy 5w40?