Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2009, 15:38   #2161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
Well the problem could have occured due to some other reason. I dont think a good quality flush used correctly and in the right quantity would harm the engine. Well i think its better yoy do a flush before you shift to synthetic.

May be,last time i found dead rat inside the air filter box,and which was obstructing the air flow,but this was not the reason for harsh engine,this could have happened due to more frequent use of flush as i have used the same before 7k.
The flush i use is Bardhal,any better brand recommended.
Old 25th November 2009, 15:51   #2162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parimal_g View Post
May be,last time i found dead rat inside the air filter box,and which was obstructing the air flow,but this was not the reason for harsh engine,this could have happened due to more frequent use of flush as i have used the same before 7k.
The flush i use is Bardhal,any better brand recommended.
I dont think one is required to do the flush frequently. It is also important to clean the oil pan after the flush if the engine is old.

Valvoline, AMSOIL, Nulon are good.
Old 25th November 2009, 15:58   #2163
Senior - BHPian

I would like to buy Shell/Mobil/Castrol oils -mineral only for now - for the second service of my Alto which will be due next month. I would be grateful if any Chennai based Bhpians can point me to a reliable shop. Right now I am sourcing Shell oil from the Shell station, but they have only 4 litre packs.
Old 25th November 2009, 18:25   #2164
BHPian

Better or the Best engine oil for the Hyundai Getz

Hi,

I didnt find a proper thread for people who want to changeover to a better oil for their Getz, thats why starting this thread. No need to delete it mods. Hope you understand.

I have a 2006 Getz GLX w/ABS, and have done approximately 25000kms. I recently switched over to the Turanzas and have never been so happy.But, there is 1 problem that I have been facing over the past few months and is now eating my head out....

Its the mileage. In the city it just sucks. Every time I fill her she just drinks it like a blood thirsty vampire!! I dont even get 10kpl(with ac) and end up getting 6-8kpl. Its just ridiculous. Anyways here on Mumbai's bad roads, I get to drive between 2-3k rpm and a max of 60kph. Infact getting a good average on the Getz has been an issue throughout these many kms. I initially used to get the car serviced from Hyundai but no longer as I simply dont find them competent enough to address the issues I face. The managers simply dont understand what I want from the services all the time! Hence, I gave up and shifted to a better mechie at Yari road.

But, still then, the average remains the same, and keeps getting worse. Its better on the highways. The Turanzas havent affected it so am cool about it. I consulted good ol Roms( Romil) about this and he recommended changing the oil which I want to now. One friend of mine deals in Motul lubricants and he recommended me the 5w40 for the Getz. But I wish to get Mobil1 5w40 super syn. Can you help me out regarding which is the best oil out there for the Getz and also tell me the place to get the same in the western suburbs in Mumbai..

A couple of more suggestions followed which said, ask the mechie to clean the intakes with a jet cleaner, then get the fuel and engine filters & spark plugs changed etc etc.

I need opinions from all long time Getz users how to extract a decent enough mileage from the car. Also, since whats the appropriate period of servicing the car. i simply dont want to take the bs Hyundai contracts. Have wasted my money with them. I really rue it and advise others not to take their cars too..

Awaiting replies and hoping to have a positive discussion here..

Cheers,
Mehul.
Old 25th November 2009, 18:54   #2165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
I'm surprised at your comment about MAK Supereme though. Thats their premium brand, right? Any idea about the cost and API rating?
It cost around 450 bucks last year i think,for 3ltrs.
Old 25th November 2009, 19:23   #2166
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Thats much cheaper than Magnatec. So at least price wise, its not in the same category, though the API grade is also SM.

Just checked the BPCL site, it mentions only 10W30 viscosity for MAK Supreme. Maybe that is why you found it less smoother than the other oil.
Old 25th November 2009, 20:19   #2167
Team-BHP Support

oh so im not the only ones whos getting crappy mileage on the getz. even my car gives me 7.5-8.5kmpl after some mods. and its ripped. for engine oil i am using mobil1 supersyn 5w50. the engine feels like new after you change to synthetic for the first time. the place in mumbai to get the cheapest mobil1 is city motors, in opera house.
Old 25th November 2009, 21:40   #2168
Senior - BHPian

I am getting an average of worst 10.6- good12.5kmpl city driving of about 55kms per day in my 1.3L getz,I am using 5w40 Mobil1 Synthetic oil with FFE/Filter + 15inch rims I am very much satisfied with my vehicle on how it performs.
Old 25th November 2009, 22:04   #2169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^^ Thats much cheaper than Magnatec. So at least price wise, its not in the same category, though the API grade is also SM.

Just checked the BPCL site, it mentions only 10W30 viscosity for MAK Supreme. Maybe that is why you found it less smoother than the other oil.
I just checked my old bill lying at home,it's 570 bucks 95 per 500 ml can.I guess that's still less than magnatec but how about GTX.And yes it has a 10w rating that's why i probably felt it was not smooth enough.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 25th November 2009 at 22:10.
Old 25th November 2009, 22:52   #2170
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
oh so im not the only ones whos getting crappy mileage on the getz. even my car gives me 7.5-8.5kmpl after some mods. and its ripped. for engine oil i am using mobil1 supersyn 5w50. the engine feels like new after you change to synthetic for the first time. the place in mumbai to get the cheapest mobil1 is city motors, in opera house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmel View Post
Hi,

I didnt find a proper thread for people who want to changeover to a better oil for their Getz, thats why starting this thread. No need to delete it mods. Hope you understand. Cheers,
Mehul.
Guys I dont believe your fuel consumption problem will be alleviated (to the extent you'll be pleased) by changing the brand of engine oil or switching to synth. There will be only minor changes provided you use the correct viscosity which is based on the max and min temps.

Cheers!
Old 25th November 2009, 23:21   #2171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
I just checked my old bill lying at home,it's 570 bucks 95 per 500 ml can.I guess that's still less than magnatec but how about GTX.And yes it has a 10w rating that's why i probably felt it was not smooth enough.
A thinner oil will naturally feel less smoother, esp. in an engine not exactly made for it.

You could get better oils for lesser. Availability is usually never a big problem. First decide which brand you want, check the company's website for contact details (preferably mkt. dept/sales/etc) and ask them where you can get it or if they can home deliver.
Old 25th November 2009, 23:36   #2172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramie2400 View Post
I am getting an average of worst 10.6- good12.5kmpl city driving of about 55kms per day in my 1.3L getz,I am using 5w40 Mobil1 Synthetic oil with FFE/Filter + 15inch rims I am very much satisfied with my vehicle on how it performs.
you better be satisfied with all the ICE weight you should always count one extra person in your car.
Old 26th November 2009, 13:19   #2173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A thinner oil will naturally feel less smoother, esp. in an engine not exactly made for it.

You could get better oils for lesser. Availability is usually never a big problem. First decide which brand you want, check the company's website for contact details (preferably mkt. dept/sales/etc) and ask them where you can get it or if they can home deliver.
I have decided to go with castrol GTX , will be shopping for the same this saturday.It's available as 20w 50 i think which i hope is more suitable for my maruti.Any advisories against doing so are welcome.

thanks

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 26th November 2009 at 13:21.
Old 26th November 2009, 14:51   #2174
BHPian

@Mehul - In Mumbai, please do not expect 10 to 12 kmpl as the car companies advertise.I have a Palio 1.6 and in Andheri to Vikhroli trafiic, I get 8.5 to 9.5 avg.My brother in law has a Zen Estilo and he gets around 9 from Andheri to Malad commute.My friend has a Santro and he gets around 9 in commute from Borivali to Vikhroli.

What I am saying is that the average you will get in Mumbai city, will be far lower than the avg that the automobile companies advertise. This is because of the horrendous traffic conditions, long jams, longer signals, snails pace etc. For e.g, when I go to Goa and I regularly hire a Santro, I get an avg of 12 to 13 kms in Panjim city driving + local village roads driving, which is quite an improvement over the average my friend gets in Mumbai city.

So I do not think it is the oil that will give you better average.
Old 26th November 2009, 15:54   #2175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeeth
I have decided to go with castrol GTX , will be shopping for the same this saturday.It's available as 20w 50 i think which i hope is more suitable for my maruti.
If you have a tight budget, get atleast 15W40.

Most Viewed