Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
This is lifted from page no.9-7 of my Alto owner's manual:

Viscosity 20W40, 20W50 for temperatures between -20 C to 40 C;

Viscosity 15W40, 15W50 for temp. between -15 C to 40 C;

Viscosity 10W40, 10W50 for temp between -20 C to 40 C;

Viscosity 10W30 for temp. between -20 C to 30 C;

and 5W30 for temp.between -30 C to 30 C.
There is an error here. The temp range indicated for 20W40 and 20W 50 is -10C to 40 C. Sorry for the typo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
MGO from IOC is SF grade which is minimum recommended by maruti, i've used it six month back and read it on the label on the can. I had no problem whatsoever with this oil too. It is cheaper than others (around Rs 425/3 litres) and I am getting a mileage of 17-19 kmpl on my alto. I find it perfectly OK for regular driving usage though I change at 5-6k kms instead of recommended interval of 10k kms.
Just go to the IOC site and click on the link for MGO. It takes you to Servo Super 20W40, and it is mentioned as API SC only. At least that was what it showed the last time I visited the site.

Last edited by Gansan : 1st December 2009 at 12:31.
Old 1st December 2009, 13:57   #2207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
So,should i replace it cause recently i am noticing it in all castrol oils,be it sae 90 gear oil,activ 4t or power one.Or is there a major scam of sale of castrol duplicates going on in mumbai.
Major scam of adulterating Castrol oils exists through the country, as discussed in other threads. Many people avoid Castrol for this reason itself. Are you sure the oil smells burnt in the can itself? If yes, I would be extremely wary and suspicious. What color is it btw? Of course, even if the colour matches, it still can't be guaranteed that it is genuine.

Quote:
Just go to the IOC site and click on the link for MGO. It takes you to Servo Super 20W40, and it is mentioned as API SC only. At least that was what it showed the last time I visited the site.
Most likely the site has not been updated. Most companies seem to take web site updateation quite lightly, in India.
Old 1st December 2009, 14:38   #2208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Most likely the site has not been updated. Most companies seem to take web site updateation quite lightly, in India.
I too had this doubt, so I visited a couple of IOC bunks and checked the Servo Super 20W40 cans. They were labelled as API-SC only. Since they don't sell the MGO to us at MASS, I can't verify there. But I checked the 200 litre Servo barrels stored at my MASS, but it shows only MGO - 20W40 and no API spec. Sice the MGO link on IOC site takes me to Servo Super, I did not want to take chances.

If anyone wants to buy MGO, best bet is Shell MGO 20W40 / API SF costing about Rs 575 for a 3 litre can. But the Helix HX5 15W40 / API SL is just marginally more expensive @ Rs 915 for 4 litres and a better choice.
Old 1st December 2009, 14:54   #2209
Senior - BHPian

^^^ I guess then one has to assume it is SC. If it is, then it is below the recommended grade, which is really strange. Anyway, its best not to bother with it when so many other options are available. In fact, no point in paying more for any "genuine" oil, if cheaper equivalents are available.
Old 1st December 2009, 19:08   #2210
BHPian

Hi all,

I am going for my 10K service this week.Got a few questions/clarifications here

what are synthetic and convention oils that are best for Indica vista(as per your experience).manual lists the following oils(Not sure whether they are synthetic or conventional)

Castrol GTX diesel
HPCL Hp Micly No.1 TGO
EXXON Mobil Super 100TM

Please help as I am going for service this friday

-hdi
Old 1st December 2009, 21:37   #2211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdi_pro View Post
Hi all,

I am going for my 10K service this week.Got a few questions/clarifications here

what are synthetic and convention oils that are best for Indica vista(as per your experience).manual lists the following oils(Not sure whether they are synthetic or conventional)

Castrol GTX diesel
HPCL Hp Micly No.1 TGO
EXXON Mobil Super 100TM

Please help as I am going for service this friday

-hdi
I guess gtx is for NA engines.For turbo i presume its GTD or you can go for Mobil.

A small addition-Tata motors recommends castrol GTD 15w40 grade

Last edited by theMAG : 2nd December 2009 at 09:58. Reason: Back-back posts under 20 minutes not allowed. Please use the EDIT button to manage content.
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:28   #2212
Senior - BHPian

Got the shell HX5 15W 40

Hey guys,
I finally found the oil ,shell HX5 15W 40,i was looking for.Got it at the shell station on the Thane Belapur near Rabale police station.It cost me 876 bucks (6X146) 6 500 Ml cans.Gansan sir,do you envy me .

Anyways the cans were a little dusty and in my hurry i forgot to check the mfg date but let's hope they are not too old considering Hx5 was launched recently.Will post pics of the specs of the can soon.

Thanks to Gansan for clarifying the availablity of the cans.
Old 2nd December 2009, 11:00   #2213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hey guys,
I finally found the oil ,shell HX5 15W 40,i was looking for.Got it at the shell station on the Thane Belapur near Rabale police station.It cost me 876 bucks (6X146) 6 500 Ml cans.Gansan sir,do you envy me .

Anyways the cans were a little dusty and in my hurry i forgot to check the mfg date but let's hope they are not too old considering Hx5 was launched recently.Will post pics of the specs of the can soon.

Thanks to Gansan for clarifying the availablity of the cans.
No, I don't! In your place I would have paid Rs 915 and taken the 4 litre can.

The cans can't be very old. I remember the HX5 pack I saw was mfd in June/July 2009.
Old 2nd December 2009, 11:22   #2214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Major scam of adulterating Castrol oils exists through the country, as discussed in other threads. Many people avoid Castrol for this reason itself. Are you sure the oil smells burnt in the can itself? If yes, I would be extremely wary and suspicious. What color is it btw? Of course, even if the colour matches, it still can't be guaranteed that it is genuine.

Quote:
I too had this doubt, so I visited a couple of IOC bunks and checked the Servo Super 20W40 cans. They were labelled as API-SC only. Since they don't sell the MGO to us at MASS, I can't verify there. But I checked the 200 litre Servo barrels stored at my MASS, but it shows only MGO - 20W40 and no API spec. Sice the MGO link on IOC site takes me to Servo Super, I did not want to take chances.

If anyone wants to buy MGO, best bet is Shell MGO 20W40 / API SF costing about Rs 575 for a 3 litre can. But the Helix HX5 15W40 / API SL is just marginally more expensive @ Rs 915 for 4 litres and a better choice.
I don't know what grade is used at MASS but surely an Servo MGO can of IOC available in open market had SF grade written. PSU websites are outdated normally and thinking logically MGO is cobranded oil so it can't be having a lower spec than one mentioned by Maruti otherwise Maruti would not lend there name to it. Infact all MGO whether it is from IOC, castrol or any other company would have 20W40 SF specifications. You can go to any retailer to verify that. It may be possible that in the past SC spec may be there.
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:01   #2215
BHPian

Guys,
I changed my OHC 1.5 EXI engine oil to fully synthetic OWS recently. The car has run around 3000 Kms after the change. Yesterday while refuelling at shell, I asked them to check the engine oil. The attender checked the oil and mentioned that the level is perfect, but the oil viscosity is lesser. Is this normal? Should I be worried about this?I drove around 12 kms before reaching the gas station, is this the reason for the less viscosity? I am using the Synthetic oil for the first time, please help me out.
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:14   #2216
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_1982 View Post
Yesterday while refuelling at shell, I asked them to check the engine oil. The attender checked the oil and mentioned that the level is perfect, but the oil viscosity is lesser.
I am not sure how the attendant was able to gauge the viscosity of the oil by just looking at the oil on the dipstick. All oil tend to drip off the dipstick when warm, so I don't think you should be worried about having a 'less viscous' oil.

By the by, what is the grade of the OWS oil that you have filled?
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:58   #2217
BHPian

Changed my mondeo oil to castrol magnatec , got it for rs 1150 for 4 lts .Got it from official dealers at opera house from Auto Equipment,23614377 so any one who wants genuine oil can head there. Car feels smother after using it, next time might put mobil 1.
Old 2nd December 2009, 14:24   #2218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I am not sure how the attendant was able to gauge the viscosity of the oil by just looking at the oil on the dipstick. All oil tend to drip off the dipstick when warm, so I don't think you should be worried about having a 'less viscous' oil.

By the by, what is the grade of the OWS oil that you have filled?
Thanks for the reply. I don't remember the grade of the oil, I will check my bill and post it tonight.
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:02   #2219
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
MGO from IOC is SF grade which is minimum recommended by maruti, i've used it six month back and read it on the label on the can. I had no problem whatsoever with this oil too. It is cheaper than others (around Rs 425/3 litres) and I am getting a mileage of 17-19 kmpl on my alto. I find it perfectly OK for regular driving usage though I change at 5-6k kms instead of recommended interval of 10k kms.
Tghis is news to me since their site listed it as SC. Even SF is long dead. With SF you should be Ok for 10000km / 12 months.
Old 2nd December 2009, 15:24   #2220
BHPian

@sgiitk

Yes the site is listing it incorrectly or has not updated for years! MGO oil can't be below SF infact I have checked 2-3 brands and all were 20W40 SF.

Though Alto manual mentions 10k km/12m schedule for engine oil change I usually change it at 5-6k km every 6 months or so(may be due to old habbits!) as it is quite cheap around Rs 400-425/3 ltr. I am sure it wouldn't do any damage changing at 12 months/10k kms too if company recommends it for routine use.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks