Team-BHP > Team-BHP Advice > On modifying a car

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2011, 08:28   #3136
Senior - BHPian

Re: ARTICLE: Synthetic oil vs Mineral oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
Be careful if you put it in your Alto. One mechanic said sometimes (around 1 in 10 altos) start leaking oil if you put 10wX. He said for the older 800 and alto use atleast 15wX or 20wX.
OK. I will think about it. But I think that applies when you use full synth oils for well used older generation engines. Not older generation engines per se, when they are new. Mine is just nudging 11k KM!

Moreover the "thinness" applies only when the oil is cold. It will have the same viscosity as the 20W40 oil when hot. Even the Alto user manual allows 10W30 oil under certain conditions.

Last edited by Gansan : 5th November 2011 at 08:31.
Old 5th November 2011, 10:11   #3137
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

What I can say is that I am using 10W40 happily in my Santro. Ditto for the even older Accent (now sold).
Old 7th November 2011, 13:22   #3138
BANNED

Can someone put up the picture of the front and back of the bottle of Toyota Genuine Motor Oil. Diesel and Petrol.
If possible the viscosity or grade which the dealership uses.
After going through the thread what I guess is an assumption that Toyota uses 5w30 motor oil.
If somebody can find out who is the manufacturer of the oil that would be great.
As per the thread it is Savita Oil Corp.
The reason I am asking for the picture is to make all the information concrete.
Old 29th November 2011, 16:38   #3139
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
API-SM,10W40 spec. Costs only marginally more so I am planning this for my next change.
Any update on whether this oil is available and if so what is the cost? I'll be giving my Alto for its 50,000 kms in a week or two and would like to use it. Checked with a few Shell bunks in Blr, but it was not available here. The HX5 was ~Rs. 900 for a 4 liter can.
Old 29th November 2011, 18:55   #3140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Any update on whether this oil is available and if so what is the cost? I'll be giving my Alto for its 50,000 kms in a week or two and would like to use it. Checked with a few Shell bunks in Blr, but it was not available here. The HX5 was ~Rs. 900 for a 4 liter can.
You can try HX7 also for a marginal difference. In Delhi, HX7 is available in 4 lt packing for about 1100 INR. This one's semi-synthetic as opposed to HX5 which is mineral.
Old 30th November 2011, 01:46   #3141
Senior - BHPian

The service manual would have the required information on the oil used unless Toyota does not print that info, which is highly unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilmonkey View Post
Can someone put up the picture of the front and back of the bottle of Toyota Genuine Motor Oil. Diesel and Petrol.
If possible the viscosity or grade which the dealership uses.
After going through the thread what I guess is an assumption that Toyota uses 5w30 motor oil.
If somebody can find out who is the manufacturer of the oil that would be great.
As per the thread it is Savita Oil Corp.
The reason I am asking for the picture is to make all the information concrete.
Old 30th November 2011, 07:40   #3142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I don't see it in the Shell station anymore, but I think it is available with dealers.
Old 30th November 2011, 08:32   #3143
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I don't see it in the Shell station anymore
Gansan,

I found this just last evening. Had been to METRO (Yeshwantpur) in Blr and so decided to visit a Shell bunk I used to frequent back in 2005. They had a 3.5 liter can of the HX7 that cost Rs. 1280. However, I picked up the 3 liter HX5 for Rs. 768.

I am weighing the cost-benefit ratio as well since my oil changes are done at 5000 km intervals due to extensive driving in the city at low speeds and very short distances at times. I suppose it will be better off sticking to the mineral HX5 rather than change the more expensive HX7 every 5k kms.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
gpa
Old 30th November 2011, 10:02   #3144
Senior - BHPian

^^IIRC the difference was ~Rs 300 (4 litres) as compared to HX5 so made a mental note to go for it during the next change. My usage is just about 6k KM a year, so it does not matter. IMO even with half yearly changes this should be OK.

I will contact a dealer referred by Mahendra (Nitrous) and find out the price.
Old 30th November 2011, 11:09   #3145
BHPian

My Santro is now due for a service and engine oil change ..it has run close to 7000 kms after last change , a year back. The earlier oil was Castrol Magnatec 10W 40. It was a very nice experience with this oil.

Now I am unable to source this semi syntheic Magnetec 10W 40 oil, current stock here in Pune PCMC area , even after checking with 8-10 shops.
1) One of them have 5W 30 ( costs 1170/- for 3 litre can) , but considering the summer temp in India, the shop keeper was telling that you should either 40/ 50. The grade os SG+ ..is it not low?
2) another shop has a old Sep-2010 can of 3L , 15W 40 magnatec , grade SM. Is it Ok to use this oil now ? Is there any quality drop in case of old oil cans, sealed though :-) ?

Pls suggest which option should I use , since the service is booked on Saturday morning 8 am and I have to source the oil by friday afternoon.
Old 30th November 2011, 11:15   #3146
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing View Post
My Santro is now due for a service and engine oil change.
You can opt for the Shell 10w 40 HX7 which is a good semi-synth replacement for the Magnatec you were using.

Quote:
A shop has a old Sep-2010 can of 3L , 15W 40 magnatec , grade SM. Is it Ok to use this oil now?
Don't buy this can. I would prefer if you don't take chances.

Cheers,
gpa
gpa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 11:20   #3147
BHPian

Will Check out for the Shell HX7 availability.

Heard in the forum that , someone was recommending Total 7000 (Quartz/ Elf) oil as better than Magnatec...cant recollect the thread.

So, pls let me know if any of you have any direct user experience with that Total7000 oil in petrol cars.

thanks for prompt responses.
Old 30th November 2011, 12:34   #3148
BHPian

Quote:

Heard in the forum that , someone was recommending Total 7000 (Quartz/ Elf) oil as better than Magnatec...cant recollect the thread.

So, pls let me know if any of you have any direct user experience with that Total7000 oil in petrol cars.

Depending on availability, you can go for Shell HX7, Castrol Magnatec, Total 7000, Mobil Super XHP. All are 10W40 semi syn suitable for Santro. Actually I won't worry about Sep 10 Castrol oil as well as if stored properly, oils have shelf life of 3 years for unopened packs, and you are happy with this oil (please see last section on http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_b...ml). Hopefully you'll get at a lesser price as well, since Sep 10 MRP is lesser than current.
amit1234singla is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 14:46   #3149
BHPian

Quote:

Read this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tz-7000-a.html
ragzv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 15:03   #3150
BHPian

That review boldly states that Total 7000 is way better than magnatec ....so will give it a try if I am able to source it by Saturday.

Most Viewed